• filter:
  • 15 6 78914
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I just got one too! I wanted to hurry before they removed the option for Shatner's picture.

rated:
Yeah, I just got a little dopeslap. It's good sometimes. I went here:

Link

to see what somebody else was sayin' about my great Priceline deal. Got my socks rocked by the indication of only 1%, when I thought it was 2%.

Well, it is 2%. But only when you use the OP's link! Guess this is sort of a FW special.

I already thanked the OP, but now I'm gonna offer thanks again because this deal is unique. Getting 2% today on everything is not all that easy . . and such deals are apparently not widely publicized . . not even on websites devoted to CC rewards deals!!

rated:
guardian44 said:    . . and such deals are apparently not widely publicized . . not even on websites devoted to CC rewards deals!! Keep it that way... I love my Priceline card... I name my own price just enough to get around 2.2% Cash Back (plus the 5% on that purchase)... This is my daily spender now...

rated:
surfsidebeach said:   guardian44 said:    . . and such deals are apparently not widely publicized . . not even on websites devoted to CC rewards deals!! Keep it that way... I love my Priceline card... I name my own price just enough to get around 2.2% Cash Back (plus the 5% on that purchase)... This is my daily spender now...

Yeah. You do have to wonder how long it will be before this deal gets "Schwabbed".

rated:
Thank you for this. Just signed up and got instant approval. Maybe because I don't have any other cards from the underwriter and because I did it during business hours.

rated:
I'm a Priceline card noob and I wanted to lay down a record here for other noobs. Experienced Priceline card users can safely ignore this post! This is regarding point redemptions:

You cannot redeem fewer than 2500 points. You cannot do partial payoff of a purchase.

For example:

You have accumulated 2600 points and have a purchase-of-record in the amount of $37.50. You cannot apply those points to that purchase and leave yourself $11.50 to pay another way.

You have 30 days to pay off non-Priceline purchases with your points.

You other noobs might ask me what happens when you have more points than what you need.

For example:

You have accumulated 3500 points (worth $35) and apply them to a purchase of just $25.00. Do you lose the 1000 point overage, or do those points remain in your total?

Sorry. I don't know the answer to that yet. Remember, I'm a noob too!

But I hope the rest is a help to a few of you. Us noobs gotta stick together!

ETA

Couple days later now and I have researched on the net the above situation regarding overage points. Apparently you do not lose the points. They just remain in your total. Only the points actually needed to pay off the charge are subtracted from your point total.

Sure, I realize that's common sense. With dealz, though, sometimes common sense goes out the window. Not this time. Instead, it's fair. It's the way you would hope things would be.

rated:
I just completed my first statement period, and I am happy to note that my points were available for redemption immediately. This includes both the points from my purchases and the $50 bonus for first purchase. In fact I can scarcely remember any card that gave me points so quickly. Very nice!

rated:
can anyone let me know if you are able to create single-use virtual account numbers for the card?

rated:
iLoveiPods said:   can anyone let me know if you are able to create single-use virtual account numbers for the card?

Not that I've found. I wish it would though.

rated:
guardian44 said:    Apparently you do not lose the points. They just remain in your total. Only the points actually needed to pay off the charge are subtracted from your point total.

I can confirm this.

While a bit gimmicky when compared to (for example) PenFed's auto-credits, I actually like their redemption system. It's easy to use, well-documented, and quickly applied (redemptions post in just one day, and then send an email confirmation to you for your records).

And the fact that it isn't automatic or super simple might help prevent it from being too heavily utilized (and hence too unprofitable for Barclay's to sustain, which is so much the better.

rated:
How long does it take for them to apply the initial sign-up bonus Cash Back after you make your first purchase?

rated:
guardian44 said:   I'm a Priceline card noob and I wanted to lay down a record here for other noobs. Experienced Priceline card users can safely ignore this post! This is regarding point redemptions:

You cannot redeem fewer than 2500 points. You cannot do partial payoff of a purchase.

For example:

You have accumulated 2600 points and have a purchase-of-record in the amount of $37.50. You cannot apply those points to that purchase and leave yourself $11.50 to pay another way.

You have 30 days to pay off non-Priceline purchases with your points.

You other noobs might ask me what happens when you have more points than what you need.

For example:

You have accumulated 3500 points (worth $35) and apply them to a purchase of just $25.00. Do you lose the 1000 point overage, or do those points remain in your total?

Sorry. I don't know the answer to that yet. Remember, I'm a noob too!

But I hope the rest is a help to a few of you. Us noobs gotta stick together!

ETA

Couple days later now and I have researched on the net the above situation regarding overage points. Apparently you do not lose the points. They just remain in your total. Only the points actually needed to pay off the charge are subtracted from your point total.

Sure, I realize that's common sense. With dealz, though, sometimes common sense goes out the window. Not this time. Instead, it's fair. It's the way you would hope things would be.

I'm a bit confused.

Say I have $25. I want to redeem.

I have a purchase for $14. and a purchase for $56.

Can I apply it towards the $56. purchase?

Can I apply it towards the $14. purchase and have some CashBack left over?

rated:
Say I have $25. I want to redeem.

No. You must credit an entire purchase, and you don't enough points to credit this one.

No, only because a purchase must be at least $25 in order for a credit to apply.

If you want to redeem a credit ASAP, and can't advantage of the more favorable Priceline NYOP purchases, you could make a >= $25 partial utility payment or something, and then redeem 2500 points to offset that charge as soon as the charge posts.

rated:
DaveHanson said:   Say I have $25. I want to redeem.

No. You must credit an entire purchase, and you don't enough points to credit this one.

No, only because a purchase must be at least $25 in order for a credit to apply.

If you want to redeem a credit ASAP, and can't advantage of the more favorable Priceline NYOP purchases, you could make a >= $25 partial utility payment or something, and then redeem 2500 points to offset that charge as soon as the charge posts.

So you're saying if I have a $14. charge and a $56. charge, I'm totally out of luck and cannot redeem any Cash Back?

Seems overly complicated...

rated:
You can credit the $14 purchase only. Your remaining points will rollover until the next time you have 2500+ points.

rated:
tulsastorm said:   You can credit the $14 purchase only. Your remaining points will rollover until the next time you have 2500+ points.

So basically, we can always redeem CashBack towards a charge equal to or less than the CashBack we have saved and any extra will remain saved until we again hit 2500 points, right?

rated:
phototristan said:   tulsastorm said:   You can credit the $14 purchase only. Your remaining points will rollover until the next time you have 2500+ points.

So basically, we can always redeem CashBack towards a charge equal to or less than the CashBack we have saved and any extra will remain saved until we again hit 2500 points, right?

Oops, I take that back. I just checked my account. Dave is right. The purchase has to be over $25 to be credited, and then you need enough points to credit the amount 100%. So you can wait until you have 5600 points to credit the $56 charge or purchase something else for around $25, and credit that new purchase. Again, any remaining points will rollover.

When you go to redeem your points online, it shows which purchases can be credited and which ones can't. You can even sort the purchases by amount. It is NOT as complicated as it sounds.

rated:
Pay attention to what Dave wrote because he is correct. Admittedly it is a little complex until you get the hang of the rules.

Remember though, money is fungible. You might be prohibited by the rules from paying off the precise charge you want to. But pay special heed to Dave's mention of using a utility payment, one whose precise numerical value you can determine in advance yourself, as vehicle for collecting your reward . . if no other path opens for you. It's a really good suggestion and an extremely effective way to get the job done!!

rated:
I received a targeted extra 2 points/percent back on amusement, drug stores, and gas for Q3 email. The limit is 2500 extra points which is about 1250 in spending. I could have used this in June, but oh well. I think this is like only the second or third time over the years that I remember such offers. The other banks like Citi and BofA don't seem to give me these type of offers anymore.

Rasheed

rated:
rasheedb said:   I received a targeted extra 2 points/percent back on amusement, drug stores, and gas for Q3 email. The limit is 2500 extra points which is about 1250 in spending. I could have used this in June, but oh well. I think this is like only the second or third time over the years that I remember such offers. The other banks like Citi and BofA don't seem to give me these type of offers anymore.

Rasheed

You mean it's 4% Cash Back on those categories? Pretty nice although I already get 5% CB on gas via another card.

I didn't receive any such email.

rated:
That's really interesting reasheedb. What's your usage pattern like, if you don't mind? I have received only "your statement is ready" emails.

rated:
Targeted: I received 5 bonus points for the same three categories, only $500 in spending...

My usage patterns - sh*tload of charges in the places I don't dare to list, plus occasional retail charge - some drugstores and gas included

rated:
This is the offer I received a couple of days ago in my e-mail, and, today, I got a postcard about it:

Earn 5 bonus points for every $1 you spend at gas stations, amusement parks and drugstores with your Priceline rewards Visa Card from July 1 to September 30, 2012.╣Register today and earn up to 2,500 bonus points.

Priceline Visa is my daily spender. I charge gas to my PenFed cash rewards card, but probably not this next quarter.

rated:
A question for those who have the card for a while. Is it possible to redeem points against more than one purchase?
For example, after my last statement I had 5918 points.
If I would have had a $25.00 purchase and a $34.00 purchase, would I have been able to redeem my points toward both? Or are redemptions allowed toward just one purchase?
Thanks.

rated:
I believe you should be able to do both. The minuimun purchase has to be $25 in my experience.

rated:
I'm about to extinguish my first charge using my reward points. It'll happen just as soon as a payment to my power company finally is posted to my account. The payment was calculated precisely to match my rewards points available.

But I have a question for others who have experience with this:

How long after I go through the process, select the charge to annihilate, and pull the trigger does it take for the charge actually to go away??? Does Barclays take a few days to do the deed? Or is the charge dispatched in real time?

I hope it happens really fast. If not, the charge I have in my sights is going still to be there when my statement closes . . . . and that could be a little messy.

rated:
Happens next business day, guardian44, just like the confirmation screen will tell you.

More generally, I'm very impressed by how well thought out their web-based service is. I had a fraud hold put on this card due to a couple new charges. I logged on, and by simply acknowledging that the prior charge was legit online, I had the hold lifted immediately. No phone calls necessary.

rated:
DaveHanson said:   Happens next business day, guardian44, just like the confirmation screen will tell you.

More generally, I'm very impressed by how well thought out their web-based service is. I had a fraud hold put on this card due to a couple new charges. I logged on, and by simply acknowledging that the prior charge was legit online, I had the hold lifted immediately. No phone calls necessary.

Thanks!

I extinguished the charge last evening and my rewards points balance was debited instantly. This morning I continue to see the correct (much, much smaller) rewards points balance, but the charge remains. However, it has not yet been even 24 hours since I pulled the trigger and did the deed. Since my statement does not cut off until tomorrow at midnight I should be OK. Fingers are crossed.

Regardless, I used your idea to tailor a payment (in my case to my electric power provider) to my available points. Your approach worked very well indeed. It worked great!

I plan to use this technique in future, either with payments to my electric power provider or to my telephone company . . . either of which I can adjust exactly to my available points. This seems easier to me than futzing around trying to match random charges to random, always changing, numbers of available points. It's like hunting with a rifle instead of with a shotgun.

rated:
guardian44 said:   I extinguished the charge last evening and my rewards points balance was debited instantly. This morning I continue to see the correct (much, much smaller) rewards points balance, but the charge remains. However, it has not yet been even 24 hours since I pulled the trigger and did the deed. Since my statement does not cut off until tomorrow at midnight I should be OK. Fingers are crossed.

Regardless, I used your idea to tailor a payment (in my case to my electric power provider) to my available points. Your approach worked very well indeed. It worked great!

I plan to use this technique in future, either with payments to my electric power provider or to my telephone company . . . either of which I can adjust exactly to my available points. This seems easier to me than futzing around trying to match random charges to random, always changing, numbers of available points. It's like hunting with a rifle instead of with a shotgun.

The charge will remain. There will be a new transaction entitled "Priceline Rewards Credit" with the amount under the credit column.

Frankly, I fail to see the point in trying to reverse a particular charge. When I go to redeem my points, I sort them by "Points to Redeem" (click the orange triangle in the column header), and select the highest charge that is not grayed out. I've used up the most points I can without doing anything special, and the remaining points will be there until I have enough to redeem again.

rated:
Agreed with tulsastorm - this is my daily spender, so I have hundreds of transactions from which to choose. If I have some extra unused points, so what? They will be there for the next round of redemptions.

rated:
donotdrinkPBR said:   Agreed with tulsastorm - this is my daily spender, so I have hundreds of transactions from which to choose. If I have some extra unused points, so what? They will be there for the next round of redemptions.

Understood and you guys are making sense. For me, though, this card is not my daily spender . . not with a Chase Freedom card in my pocket. I only use my Priceline card when, otherwise, Freedom would drop me to just 1% Cash Back. My Priceline charges tend to be either too small (less than $25) or very large.

Using Dave's approach I was able to customize a charge that was not too small and not too large. In fact, it was "just right".

rated:
tulsastorm said:   guardian44 said:   I extinguished the charge last evening and my rewards points balance was debited instantly. This morning I continue to see the correct (much, much smaller) rewards points balance, but the charge remains. However, it has not yet been even 24 hours since I pulled the trigger and did the deed. Since my statement does not cut off until tomorrow at midnight I should be OK. Fingers are crossed.

The charge will remain. There will be a new transaction entitled "Priceline Rewards Credit" with the amount under the credit column.

Thanks. Yup. You were right. It all came true for me this morning. I extinguished the charge during the evening Monday. By this (Wednesday) morning the "Rewards Credit" had posted. It was great.

I am very pleased with this entire experience. The Priceline savings are, indeed, quite real. There is, though, a small learning curve that needs to be traversed. Having now finally done that, I can say the savings surely are worth it. Certainly I would encourage others to have a go. 2% rewards cards are not, after all, growing on trees.

rated:
If anyone uses this card for the new Hotwire-like hotel product, please advise if you get five points or not. I think you should since it is still opaque, but I am curious.

Thanks,
Rasheed

rated:
This card is great if you make large NYOP purchases. I just made a credit redemption against a $1176.77 NYOP charge, and only needed to redeem 78,452 points (33% redemption discount), making this effectively a 3% rewards card, more if you considering the 5x points earned making the NYOP purchases. Does anyone know what the smallest NYOP purchase amount is that gets the 33% redemption discount?

rated:
DaveHanson said:   That's really interesting reasheedb. What's your usage pattern like, if you don't mind? I have received only "your statement is ready" emails.

It is my primary general purpose card (when a 5% category card is not used). As you can see, others got a higher percent bonus offer. For me, it would only have interest on amusement, but I did most of my spending in June unfortunately in that category.

Rasheed

rated:
Great data point ROFL. 33% is a much larger redemption discount than I would have expected. Would be nice to have readers of this thread put their NYOP redemption figures in the QS.

rated:
Starting value for NYOP redemptions is approx 1.1 cents per point, I had one NYOP for about $470 which gave me 1.3 cents per point value and now we have 1.5cents per point for $1176.77 NYOP transaction as reported by ROLF. So my guess is that you get maximum value which is 1.5 cents per point when your NYOP transaction is more than $500 or $1000 which I also want to find out

rated:
2% offer is still valid. I applied and received an instant decision last night. I can't wait to take Captain Kirk with me to the store.

rated:
I've been using the card for a week now and really like it, just wish pre-auth transactions show up like they did w/my BOA card.

rated:
CowbellMaster said:   I've been using the card for a week now and really like it, just wish pre-auth transactions show up like they did w/my BOA card.

At least they show up in a few hours or by the next day, let's not talk about big banks like Citi that still don't do pre-auth on the web.

Rasheed

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014