• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
kintro said:   Got email offer today:
Guessing it is not targeted but do not know.

Use your Priceline rewards Visa® Card January 1 through March 31, 2013 and earn 5 bonus points for every $1 you spend — up to 2,500 bonus points — on purchases and payments you already make today in the following categories¹:

• Grocery stores
• Movie theaters
• Utility bills (phone/cable & satellite TV/standard utilities)

Best of all, this is in addition to the points you already earn for using your card every day.

You must activate this offer by January 20, 2013 to receive bonus rewards!

These PL Visa offers are slimming down the number of cards in my wallet. Current promo, iirc, was restaurants & electronics.

I got a similar offer, except I only get 2 bonus points per $1. The maximum bonus points is still 2500, however.

rated:
hm, seems like ive missed a gold mine here. ive been really out of the loop.

just applied, got approved for $9.8k. crazy thing is that it still remembers my login info from a barclays frontier CC that was closed years ago.

rated:
So this is a Barclays card? I have a US Airways Barclays card that I was going to cancel before the Annual fee comes, any chance I'd have any luck converting it to the Priceline instead?

rated:
abracadaver said:   So this is a Barclays card? I have a US Airways Barclays card that I was going to cancel before the Annual fee comes, any chance I'd have any luck converting it to the Priceline instead?

Probably not. I failed with a Travelocity card. You however can move your credit line to the new card, but it's kind of a pain. You have to call on Weekdays and even if the outsourced CS says you can't, repeat that you can do this. They eventually will transfer you to their American counterparts who will set it up (I've gone through this twice this year).

rated:
Barclay's must be really stingy with their credit. I have a Sallie Mae visa with them back when it was a 2% card, and an NFL Extra Points card. I was declined from the Priceline 2% card due to "Sufficient credit is available on your account issued by Barclays Bank Delaware". I called the reconsideration number and the anaylst told me he saw that I recently applied for 5 cards (mini-bonus o rama) and did the same thing in 2010 and 2007! I was shocked they went back to 2007 when looking at credit. So, the credit analyst could do nothing for me, even when I asked if I could close the Sallie Mae and NFL extras cards to free up credit to apply to the Priceline card.

So now I'm calling Barclays, and I'm going to close both of my accounts with them.

rated:
Squeezer99 said:   .... I recently applied for 5 cards (mini-bonus o rama) and did the same thing in 2010 and 2007!

Just a minute... did you apply for multiple BARCLAY cards in 2007 and 2010?

rated:
KYBOSH said:   Squeezer99 said:   .... I recently applied for 5 cards (mini-bonus o rama) and did the same thing in 2010 and 2007!

Just a minute... did you apply for multiple BARCLAY cards in 2007 and 2010?

I honestly don't remember. Perhaps you are correct and I did, and that is what they are seeing in their system.

rated:
Squeezer99 said:   Barclay's must be really stingy with their credit. I have a Sallie Mae visa with them back when it was a 2% card, and an NFL Extra Points card. I was declined from the Priceline 2% card due to "Sufficient credit is available on your account issued by Barclays Bank Delaware". I called the reconsideration number and the anaylst told me he saw that I recently applied for 5 cards (mini-bonus o rama) and did the same thing in 2010 and 2007! I was shocked they went back to 2007 when looking at credit. So, the credit analyst could do nothing for me, even when I asked if I could close the Sallie Mae and NFL extras cards to free up credit to apply to the Priceline card.

So now I'm calling Barclays, and I'm going to close both of my accounts with them.

Damn. I have a feeling I got denied for my Priceline & US Air apps. I will call & reconsider when I am though. I guess if not inst-approved, presume rejection letter mailed.

rated:
Anyone know if accrued points ever expire?

rated:
NutsAboutGolf said:   Anyone know if accrued points ever expire?

They expire after four years if not used.

rated:
SegaRob said:   . . . .crazy thing is that it still remembers my login info from a barclays frontier CC that was closed years ago.

A minor problem is that the site always opens to a little used Airways card and I then have to use the link to another card to get to the heavily used Priceline one. Any guess as to where the problem is?

rated:
ProfessorEd said:   SegaRob said:   . . . .crazy thing is that it still remembers my login info from a barclays frontier CC that was closed years ago.

A minor problem is that the site always opens to a little used Airways card and I then have to use the link to another card to get to the heavily used Priceline one. Any guess as to where the problem is?

Their website is pretty bad. It does the same thing with my Sallie Mae vs. my NFL Extra Points + Priceline cards. I don't see any way to change it. And I was having to go back to the Sallie Mae page to log out... until I finally found the logout link cleverly hidden on the NFL/Priceline page as white text on white background.

rated:
Decided to give it a shot and apply for this finally and was declined online. Called them a day after to see if it was possible to reverse the decision but no luck there

Already have the NFL card with a low credit limit and 8 other credit cards spaced out though 2012. Looks like I'll be cooling it off on the apps for awhile.

rated:
Technical question.

If you redeem for a purchase and wish to pay the stated balance off by the due date so as not to have to pay interest. Do these credits count as payments. (I understand you cannot meet your minimum payments with these credits).

If they do, this card gives you a quicker Cash Back than many cards.

It appears that if you do redeem for a purchase that has not yet posted, you should reduce what you owe when the statement closes. This is a very fast redemption if true.

rated:
Although a little extra work, I could imagine breaking large payments up, so as to make redemption easier and quicker. This may be most easily done with some cell phone bills or Amazon payments, but grocery checkout clerks and others are often willing to accept two payments for one purchase. Multiple $25 payments gives you flexibility and the ability to fully utilize ay point balances you accrue.

I could imagine figuring out how many points you wish to redeem and having just that amount charged. If you want to redeem 4300 points (beyond what you have purchases for, break an expenditure in a S43 one, and then charge the remainder.

rated:
ProfessorEd said:   Technical question.

If you redeem for a purchase and wish to pay the stated balance off by the due date so as not to have to pay interest. Do these credits count as payments. (I understand you cannot meet your minimum payments with these credits).

If they do, this card gives you a quicker Cash Back than many cards.

It appears that if you do redeem for a purchase that has not yet posted, you should reduce what you owe when the statement closes. This is a very fast redemption if true.

I believe so, if I'm following (interest doesn't compute for me). I often cash out and leave .99 cents on the statement by this method (and then get the extra 99 cents removed as a small balance). This is the fastest CashBack out there.

rated:
Sportsgirl30 said:   NutsAboutGolf said:   Anyone know if accrued points ever expire?

Does anyone know if this is detailed anywhere? Is it a FIFO type expiration, where points earned in 2012 start disappearing in 2016, even if one still heavily uses the card and is still accruing points? Or is it like Discover, where points expire 18 months after a card is last used?

I really hope it's the latter; I intend on racking up points for years potentially, until I have enough to finance a Priceline sourced trip to somewhere exotic for the whole family.

rated:
WWYD:

$4300 tax bill
Can pay online
2.5% 'Convenience fee"

Use the CC or pay with check? I've changed my mind a dozen times so far and it's due tomorrow.

rated:
$21.50 net convience fee vs. stamp? I'd go stamp (or transfer if that's a free option).

rated:
CowbellMaster said:   Sportsgirl30 said:   NutsAboutGolf said:   Anyone know if accrued points ever expire?

Does anyone know if this is detailed anywhere? Is it a FIFO type expiration, where points earned in 2012 start disappearing in 2016, even if one still heavily uses the card and is still accruing points? Or is it like Discover, where points expire 18 months after a card is last used?

I really hope it's the latter; I intend on racking up points for years potentially, until I have enough to finance a Priceline sourced trip to somewhere exotic for the whole family.

Why bother holding them? You can't earn interest on money that's sitting in points and you run the risk of a program change that devalues the points. You should cash out as soon as you can, and just save that cash for your trip (while investing it). The only legit reason to not cash out immd, imo, is if you want to save up to pay off a Priceline purchase (which makes your point more valuable).

BTW, the TOS for the card has some language about points expiring. There's a link to the terms in my original post.

rated:
mattun: It's only $21.50 net if you do a straight cash out at the 2% level. It's $0 net plus a month and change of float and zero risk of check getting lost in the mail resulting in $200 penalties if you use it to reimburse a 2.5% NYOP bid.

novocane: It's mostly psychological; I enjoy accumulating 'free' money that will have a substantial impact at some point in time as opposed to incremental and mostly unnoticed benefits. Getting $40/mo is nice, but wiping out a $1200 "NYOP bid" on airfare to Aruba is much nicer. Plus the latter results in an actual 2.5% CashBack realization.

Despite my devil's advocate position above, I decided to send a check as I'd rather not wait however-long to realize a breakeven position.

rated:
novocane said:   CowbellMaster said:   Sportsgirl30 said:   NutsAboutGolf said:   Anyone know if accrued points ever expire?

The only legit reason to not cash out immd, imo, is if you want to save up to pay off a Priceline purchase (which makes your point more valuable).

That's exactly why I was wondering as I will be traveling and the plan is to use PL yet I can't guarantee I'll use it as PL isn't always the cheapest...

rated:
I'm another cardholder who's delaying cashing out on the chance that we might do more Priceline bidding. I've found such bidding useful for rental cars from time to time.

Question for other cardholders. Weirdly, purchases made in the last 30 days are *not* showing up as redeemable, while purchases between 30-90 days old *are* showing redeemable, right up until the confirm screen. Anyone else seeing similar behavior, or have an explanation?

rated:
Not happy with the Make A Payment feature on this card.
Made a 3k payment early last week.
Posted up to all accounts but they have yet to release it as available credit.

Spoke to CS yesterday and they said it would be released today by 8am.
Still not released. I called now and spoke with (what seemed like) some math challenged pimple faced adolescent.
Anyway, the hold (yes HOLD) they put on my payment will be released tomorrow.
7 days after it was posted/paid.

This was my first payment on the card but i'm not impressed with this at all.

rated:
KYBOSH said:   Not happy with the Make A Payment feature on this card.
Made a 3k payment early last week.
Posted up to all accounts but they have yet to release it as available credit.

Spoke to CS yesterday and they said it would be released today by 8am.
Still not released. I called now and spoke with (what seemed like) some math challenged pimple faced adolescent.
Anyway, the hold (yes HOLD) they put on my payment will be released tomorrow.
7 days after it was posted/paid.

This was my first payment on the card but i'm not impressed with this at all.

Most issuers hold a small percentage (<1%) of payments that they worry are an attempt at fraud, check kiting, etc. Are you submitting multiple payments per cycle? It wouldn't be a surprise if frequent, especially large payments would trigger your payment to be held.

rated:
It was my first payment.
I used $3k in a single purchase and paid it back within a few days.
Maybe because it was my first payment and it was a little large.
But a week is an aweful long time to wait for your funds which has already been applied to be released for use.

That's gumming up my plans something awful.

I'm not sure if sending payment from the bank rather than making payment via the Priceline website would have made a difference.
Going to make an even larger payment this week and will release an executive carpet bomb if they continue this funny business.

Going off on the phone monkeys who dont make or approve the policies doesn't do a thing or make me feel any better.
Plus they can rarely do anything about it anyway.

rated:
App'd this morning, instant approval for $11,600.00. Not too bad. Already have Barclays LL Bean Visa. Now to learn about the nuances of redeeming the points!

rated:
Quick question:

If i use the "Name My Price" method of booking a hotel with this credit card, AND use the fatwallet link, will i be able to get 5%+5% CashBack?

rated:
D4rkK1ngz said:   Quick question:

If i use the "Name My Price" method of booking a hotel with this credit card, AND use the fatwallet link, will i be able to get 5%+5% CashBack?

Yep.

Although FW lists 1% - 5%, so you'd get whatever you're entitled to there.

rated:
I am confused about the 2,500 bonus point for purchases on grocery, movies theaters, utility bills... So its only good up to $500 purchase since 500*5xpoints = 2500 points

rated:
Barclay's changed their site again and it's not communicating with Mint.com

Edit: It's now working fine.

rated:
I actually like the website change. The old one looked like it was from 1999.

rated:
Got this card resently. I have to say this card's reward redemption is very user unfriendly.

I am going back to use my Fidelity 529 card for daily and online (for virtual account number) purchases. I may only use this card for Amazon Payments and Name Your Own Price.

I hope Barclay see this and other negative comments. Oh well.

rated:
faw169 said:   I hope Barclay see this and other negative comments. Oh well. They won't

rated:
faw169 said:   Got this card resently. I have to say this card's reward redemption is very user unfriendly.

I am going back to use my Fidelity 529 card for daily and online (for virtual account number) purchases. I may only use this card for Amazon Payments and Name Your Own Price.

Uh just curious, how would you improve it? Reward redemption is literally as easy as clicking a bubble on a list of items and hitting "submit".

rated:
billobob said:   faw169 said:   Got this card resently. I have to say this card's reward redemption is very user unfriendly.

Uh just curious, how would you improve it? Reward redemption is literally as easy as clicking a bubble on a list of items and hitting "submit".

They're probably just bitter they can't click one button and get a statement credit.

rated:
I'm a little miffed I cannot find the "Available Cash Advance Limit" on the site anywhere any longer.

Also cannot find the "Payment Due date" if you've made 1 payment OR do not have a statement balance. This one's not as major, but it used to show it.

rated:
I got a pre-qualified offer for this card via email. As I see, it is 2% Cash Back on all purchases and there is no annual fees. Also, 1 point = 1 cent. Any negatives that I am overlooking? Thanks!

rated:
Has anyone else had problems with payments not promptly making more credit available. I pad over $15,000 via their web site on the due date, to be taken from my bank account, and it was the next day, and their site showed the payment as having been made. Since the payment was via ACH, there was not the concern about a bad check that could have existed with a paper check.

However, my available credit did not reflect this for several days, preventing me from making a large purchase using it.

I have heard of cards placing hold on incoming money when there was a lot of activity and payments before the due date, but there was no attempt here to spend morel than the credit limit, and the payment came in after a month when only about $250 had been accrued (the sum owed was from the previous month). I presume this was a temporary glitch, but I wonder if it is likely to happen again, or likely enough so I should pay the bill before it is due.

rated:
ProfessorEd said:   Since the payment was via ACH, there was not the concern about a bad check that could have existed with a paper check.
Sure there was. ACH can bounce. Your bank can reverse it the next day or many days later.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014