QUICK LINKS
MY ACCOUNT
Cash Pending:
Cash Available:
Payment Requested:
Payment Processed:
Lifetime Cash Back:

New priceline visa - with 2% rewards on purchases / 5% rewards on "Name your own price"

Reply
44 of 55
0
dukerau
6/14/13 11:59 AM
shinobi1 said:   

Ya know, this has got me to thinkin'. I still use the cash out method (for Priceline) explained by DaveHanson much earlier in this thread. I had something like 140,000+ points I just cashed out using his method. My current point total is below 10 points! And I agree with other posters here that the 2% reward is the principal reason not to sock drawer this card. At least that's true for myself.

So I'm thinking, maybe this is a good time for me to stop using Priceline! One thing I hate is "stranded" rewards. You get up to, maybe, 12,000 points, or whatever, and they shift to 1%. Now you're stuck at 1% rewards to get the rest of the way up to the $25 minimum. Better maybe to shift on over right away to B of A "1-2-3", buy my gift card(s), and just go from there. Heck, if I can find the right gift cards at a register with a "gas station" MCC, I could even do better than with Priceline! For me, right now, I have a reliable supermarket source of Visa GCs at 2%. I know the MCC is good for 2%. Getting them reliably at 3%, from a "gas station", would take a bit of research and shopping around.



This seems quite reactionary considering nothing has changed for existing cardholders.

Also, your math seems off. $25 minimum is 2500 points. So I think you mean if you are at 1200 points then you are "stuck at 1% rewards the rest of the way." Yep, stuck at 1% for your next $1300 in spend. I'll take that risk considering it could be a long time before they change the terms.

Also, why buy Visa GC at supermarket at 2% to use for your other spend? Am I missing something? $500 Visa GC yeilds $10 in rewards @ 2%. $5 fee so you net $5 in rewards. Or just use a regular 1% card on your $500 of spend without the inconvenience of buying a Visa GC and you come out with $5 in rewards. Use a 1.5% or 2% everywhere card and you're even better off. If you're speaking from the BB angle, then I retract this point.
0
donotdrinkPBR
6/14/13 2:20 PM
shinobi1 said:   

Ya know, this has got me to thinkin'. I still use the cash out method (for Priceline) explained by DaveHanson much earlier in this thread. I had something like 140,000+ points I just cashed out using his method. My current point total is below 10 points! And I agree with other posters here that the 2% reward is the principal reason not to sock drawer this card. At least that's true for myself.

So I'm thinking, maybe this is a good time for me to stop using Priceline! One thing I hate is "stranded" rewards. You get up to, maybe, 12,000 points, or whatever, and they shift to 1%. Now you're stuck at 1% rewards to get the rest of the way up to the $25 minimum. Better maybe to shift on over right away to B of A "1-2-3", buy my gift card(s), and just go from there. Heck, if I can find the right gift cards at a register with a "gas station" MCC, I could even do better than with Priceline! For me, right now, I have a reliable supermarket source of Visa GCs at 2%. I know the MCC is good for 2%. Getting them reliably at 3%, from a "gas station", would take a bit of research and shopping around.

Uhh, what? If you're so worried about them switching the terms and earning a measly 1% to get the rest of the way to your next $25 credit, just always keep enough points in there to earn the $25 credit without any additional spend. Pseudo-crisis averted.
0
xoneinax
6/14/13 3:32 PM
dukerau said:   


This seems quite reactionary considering nothing has changed for existing cardholders


Is Barclays known for grandfathering older benefits that new applicants cannot obtain ?
0
shinobi1234
6/14/13 5:50 PM
dukerau said:   

shinobi1 said:   

Ya know, this has got me to thinkin'. I still use the cash out method (for Priceline) explained by DaveHanson much earlier in this thread. I had something like 140,000+ points I just cashed out using his method. My current point total is below 10 points! And I agree with other posters here that the 2% reward is the principal reason not to sock drawer this card. At least that's true for myself.

So I'm thinking, maybe this is a good time for me to stop using Priceline! One thing I hate is "stranded" rewards. You get up to, maybe, 12,000 points, or whatever, and they shift to 1%. Now you're stuck at 1% rewards to get the rest of the way up to the $25 minimum. Better maybe to shift on over right away to B of A "1-2-3", buy my gift card(s), and just go from there. Heck, if I can find the right gift cards at a register with a "gas station" MCC, I could even do better than with Priceline! For me, right now, I have a reliable supermarket source of Visa GCs at 2%. I know the MCC is good for 2%. Getting them reliably at 3%, from a "gas station", would take a bit of research and shopping around.



This seems quite reactionary considering nothing has changed for existing cardholders.

Also, your math seems off. $25 minimum is 2500 points. So I think you mean if you are at 1200 points then you are "stuck at 1% rewards the rest of the way." Yep, stuck at 1% for your next $1300 in spend. I'll take that risk considering it could be a long time before they change the terms.

Also, why buy Visa GC at supermarket at 2% to use for your other spend? Am I missing something? $500 Visa GC yeilds $10 in rewards @ 2%. $5 fee so you net $5 in rewards. Or just use a regular 1% card on your $500 of spend without the inconvenience of buying a Visa GC and you come out with $5 in rewards. Use a 1.5% or 2% everywhere card and you're even better off. If you're speaking from the BB angle, then I retract this point.



Yeah, thanks. I always screw up the relationship between points and dollars, darn it.

On the other, I'm able to buy the Visa GCs sans fee. It's a special deal one of our local supermarkets has going. Great deal. Would do better, though, trying for the 3% at a register with a "gasoline station" MCC. Just have not worked that out.

Look, this Priceline deal has been really great and I have benefited. But I realize all good things eventually end. Maybe this is the arse boot I need to get the 3% thing going. Life has been too easy with Priceline. You get into a rut, er, I mean I have gotten into a rut. And this looks like a good stopping point since my points right now are virtually zero.

Finally, I have read the recent posts here from Priceline cardholders who received poor service. I have never received poor service. But I am respectful of the experiences of others.
+1
dukerau
6/14/13 6:31 PM
xoneinax said:   

dukerau said:   


This seems quite reactionary considering nothing has changed for existing cardholders


Is Barclays known for grandfathering older benefits that new applicants cannot obtain ?



No personal experience. I just don't see the risk in continuing business as usual until terms are changed for existing cardholders.
0
ubergrapevine
6/14/13 7:05 PM
bobfather said:   

Just an FYI to anyone that wants this card: It's officially dead, Jim.

I applied about a week ago using the link posted. The terms and conditions indicated 2%, but the card was not instantly approved. I called their reconsideration line and was told that the card was not approved because the offer was discontinued. The credit analyst then told me to reapply for the new card (with only 1% CashBack).

Those of you with the 2% card currently, I HOPE your card maintains the 2% benefit for forever, but I wouldn't bet on it, personally.



So, did you ever receive an official denial in writing and did your application result in a hard pull???
0
cashbackcardsonly
6/23/13 6:24 AM
I did receive a denial letter, stating that the offer expired. Also said no pull was done.
0
TonySpero
6/24/13 8:21 AM
Is the offer dead? I applied here: http://www.priceline.com/promo/priceline_rewards_card.asp received my card on June 7th.
+1
tulsastorm
6/24/13 10:05 AM
TonySpero said:   

Is the offer dead? I applied here: http://www.priceline.com/promo/priceline_rewards_card.asp received my card on June 7th.



You are likely receiving only 1% Cash Back (1 point per $1 on non-Priceline.com purchases) which is detailed on the next page after you click the "choose your card" link.
0
rasheedb
6/24/13 5:08 PM
xoneinax said:   

dukerau said:   


This seems quite reactionary considering nothing has changed for existing cardholders


Is Barclays known for grandfathering older benefits that new applicants cannot obtain ?



Seems so, I have the Priceline AF card as well (3% on non-NYOP Priceline.com purchases) that has not been available for a year or more. There is still even language about the AF card option on the Priceline.com.

Rasheed
Reply
44 of 55
Please select a reason for your RED vote:







You may be contacted via Private Message during the investigation of this issue.
Loading...