• Text Only
mkdevo said:   Not sure how the timing is, but I'm curious if any early adopters have received their 4th payout yet. That is, your 3 months are up and you earned more than $300 CB per month, and have received a "rollover" payment.

It worked as expected, $300 cash-back is deducted online for this statement (have not received the statement/check yet).

same

Based on:
Receive Cash Back in increments of $50 checks automatically

I would think that they would send out checks multiple times per month, as your point total exceeds 50, up to a max of 6 times/month. Is that not correct?

Or do they just send you a check once a month of max 300?

vnuts21 said:   Based on:
Receive Cash Back in increments of $50 checks automatically

I would think that they would send out checks multiple times per month, as your point total exceeds 50, up to a max of 6 times/month. Is that not correct?

Or do they just send you a check once a month of max 300?


Once a month, max 300

76hhma said:   mkdevo said:   Not sure how the timing is, but I'm curious if any early adopters have received their 4th payout yet. That is, your 3 months are up and you earned more than $300 CB per month, and have received a "rollover" payment.

It worked as expected, $300 cash-back is deducted online for this statement (have not received the statement/check yet).


Thanks! Month 1 coming to a close for me and I'm way beyond $300, so just wanted to check.

Just signed up and got approved, but only $500 credit line. Can't do much with $500. Asked for credit limit increase and they sent the request in. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Well, looks like S&S is going to start making GC purchases difficult, and the party may be over soon.

Went into S&S to buy a $500 GC last night (have done several in the last month), and the cashier had to bring my ID to the service desk. No problem - this has happened a couple times, but inconsistently.

Cashier comes back and says she can't ring it up there, and that they have a new policy where they have to call the CC company and get pre-approval. Apparently they have been selling a lot of GCs to people with stolen credit cards. I have to go to the service desk.

So I go to the desk and wait in line #2. I get up there, present my card and licence, and they call the # on the back. She explains the new policy to the Citizens rep, and says they need some sort of verbal approval number before they do the transaction. The Citizens rep is ready to do that, and states they need S&S's "merchant ID" in order to give them what they need. Of course no one at S&S knows what this merchant ID is, and since they can't provide it, they can't get this approval number, and they won't let me buy the gift card! After a half hour in the store, I ended up leaving empty handed.

It's garbage really. A legit customer ends up being penalized because they've messed up in the past and have sold to scammers. And this pre-approval code is meaningless - apparently all they do with it is write it on the receipt after the transaction to prove that they went through the process. So despite having no less than EIGHT forms of ID on me, my iPhone connected to the CB site showing my available credit, AND being on the phone with the credit card company, they wouldn't allow me to swipe my card and complete the transaction.

Going to write an email to corporate and try a different S&S tomorrow - hopefully with better luck.

mkdevo said:   Going to write an email to corporate and try a different S&S tomorrow - hopefully with better luck.

You are going to kill the party yourself by writing that email. How many times do we have to repeat what the rules of this game are.

I got denied at a s&s last week. Cashier said they weren't allowed to put more than $200 worth of GCs on a CC. I just told him I didn't want the GC. Went back twice the next day with other cashiers and had no problem. Moral of the story: keep your mouth shut and let the good times roll.

unnamedone said:   mkdevo said:   Going to write an email to corporate and try a different S&S tomorrow - hopefully with better luck.

You are going to kill the party yourself by writing that email. How many times do we have to repeat what the rules of this game are.


Sorry, but I fail to see how that applies here.

The store is trying to implement a policy, and both myself and the bank are willing to play by their rules. But their employees don't have the information they need in order to actually complete the transaction.

FWIW, I went to the other S&S that I frequent for GCs this morning, and they had NONE of the $20-$500 variable amount GCs on the shelf. Not sure if they were truly out or if they pulled them, but they were gone.

mkdevo said:   unnamedone said:   mkdevo said:   Going to write an email to corporate and try a different S&S tomorrow - hopefully with better luck.

You are going to kill the party yourself by writing that email. How many times do we have to repeat what the rules of this game are.


Sorry, but I fail to see how that applies here.

The store is trying to implement a policy, and both myself and the bank are willing to play by their rules. But their employees don't have the information they need in order to actually complete the transaction.

FWIW, I went to the other S&S that I frequent for GCs this morning, and they had NONE of the $20-$500 variable amount GCs on the shelf. Not sure if they were truly out or if they pulled them, but they were gone.


Please follow the "silence" low-profile approach as suggested by several posters already. The issue is that it may very likely be an isolated (or local) incident (I have checked with my S&S places, they are all "normal") and, by raising the issue higher to S&S management, you may ruin this for everybody. Thanks

Please try other S&S and be discreet about it, too. Good luck

I think you guys are going to have to be a little more specific with mkdevo. I really don't think he understands how calling to the attention of upper management at Citizens that he is desperate to purchase $500 gift cards with this credit card might affect the deal.

peteypablo said:   I think you guys are going to have to be a little more specific with mkdevo. I really don't think he understands how calling to the attention of upper management at Citizens that he is desperate to purchase $500 gift cards with this credit card might affect the deal.

Speaking of being more specific, maybe you should reread my post to understand that I never mentioned contacting Citizens.

peteypablo said:   I think you guys are going to have to be a little more specific with mkdevo. I really don't think he understands how calling to the attention of upper management at Citizens that he is desperate to purchase $500 gift cards with this credit card might affect the deal.

I don't see how 'Citizens upper management' would ever be involved if he intends to contact S&S corporate about their general store policies. I think people appear concerned about raising unnecessary attention within S&S. Why? People buying these with stolen cards has already got FAR more attention and will have the most negative impact to their policy (for obvious reasons to their bottom line). The people like mkdevo are the legitimate buyers they expected to have in the first place when selling gift cards.

mkdevo said:   
So I go to the desk and wait in line #2. I get up there, present my card and licence, and they call the # on the back. She explains the new policy to the Citizens rep, and says they need some sort of verbal approval number before they do the transaction.


I have a similar thing happen at one of the Rite-Aids I frequent. However, I do not know why S&S are calling Citizens. With Chase and Citi they call some 800 number for voice authorizations (same number since they are both Visa). Anyways, this process sucks for one big reason....when they call to get voice auth, it authorizes the payment for that amount. Fine. But what happens is, there is no spot to input the authorization into the register so they swipe the card again at the Point of sale. That authorizes the same amount again on the card, like any normal purchase would. You can see where I am going with this. I have to watch that first pre-authorized amount sit on my card for up to a week or more until it falls off. Keeping my available credit lower by just that much.

If your credit line with this card is only 500-1000 dollars you will be dead in the water and if S&S does it the same way you can expect the card to be declined when they finally swipe it unless they know how to input the auth code into the register to be accepted as payment.

Do I get bent out of shape about this? of course not. Do I call Rite Aid corporate? Of course not. Just use a different store or get different cashiers.

If you guys are simply buying GCs to get Cash Back on your Citizens Bank/Charter One cards you should be in Walgreens or CVS not S&S. S&S cards have higher fees.

On an unrelated note, has anyone who is having trouble getting their payments to clear and their credit lines to free up again tried going to a branch and making a payment to the card with cash?

DHJohn08 said:   If you guys are simply buying GCs to get Cash Back on your Citizens Bank/Charter One cards you should be in Walgreens or CVS not S&S. S&S cards have higher fees.

On an unrelated note, has anyone who is having trouble getting their payments to clear and their credit lines to free up again tried going to a branch and making a payment to the card with cash?


People have tried this.. and have similar results as paying online. Personally, I'd try the cash in hand technique a few times to see if it's changed.

I also got the $500 limit (BOA has given me over !50,000 and CITI and Chase have cards outstanding whose total limits are about %70,000). Their policy seems stupid. With a $500 limit you cannot purchase many plane ticket or large appliances. With an authorized user people will be afraid to carry the card for fear of it be3ing refused. I know my wife would be very unhappy if she tried to buy groceries and they refused the card and it would be very embarrassing for me at a business lunch with a client to have the card refused. both could e4asily happen is the spouse have used the card recently.

For 10% back people may be willing to watch the balance and send money every few days. Thus they may get the unprofitable grocery Drugstore and gasoline business. Even people who normally won't bother will decide to use another card for everything else just to avoid this risk, both of having their refused, and of using the credit limit on a 1% purchase that prevents using it for a 10% one, or leads to their spouse being embarrassed.

As soon as the promotion is up, most users will decide this card is not worth the truble (risk of refusal and need to watch the available credit) and never use it again.

While a few people may think to phone in and argue about the limit, a typical response is more likely to be to either decide not to use the card at all, or to use it only for the 10% items. With either outcome, they do not make money.

It is easy to see people telling their friends don't bother with Citizens or Charter because they give ridiculous limits that do not justify the trouble of applying.

If they are afraid of the card being abused a more sensible policy is to either decline to issue he card to those with many cards, or who are out of their service area (There are financial institutions who do this). They can also cancel cards if they are being used in a way that makes it obvious they are being abused. (It may be their intention to do this, leaving some people with large amount of Cash Back they will never receive). It is also possible that when top management discovers a few people have made excessive use of the card in the way not intention to just tell the middle level staff to just cancel these cards, avoiding the long period of paying out $300 per month. The PR damage would be small if these people are outside of their service area and were clearly taking advantage of them (and whose usage after three months showed the cards would be little used in the future).

They would come out ahead if some people had made many thousands of charges on their cards, and they never had to pay out the rebates. Could this be their strategy?

ProfessorEd, I called in the day after I received my card and had my limit raised from 500 to 2k. Some others have done the same successfully. Others failed though.

MADWAD said:   ProfessorEd, I called in the day after I received my card and had my limit raised from 500 to 2k. Some others have done the same successfully. Others failed though.

Thanks.

In activating, I requested to be transferred to "credit," and the woman at least took the request (warning me it would be a hard inquiry) and asked a series of questions (usual ones about income, rent, etc.). Is there a better way be which you can get to talk to someone with decision asking power.

The potential problems with low credit limits appears real. Looking at my online record, I see no posted purchases yet. However, the available credit has been reduced by about $230, which probably reflects some usage by my wife for groceries etc. I went to my bank to set up an immediate payment, and because of the weekend and President's Day holiday the earliest date they could get the money would be the 22nd (today is the 18th). I was planning a grocery trip today.

I had raised the possibility of sending money early with the phone representative, who claimed it would not work. I suspect she did not understand the issue, since she kept saying this would not raise the credit limit, while I was interested in merely have money there in advance, so that the card could be used on successive dates. I had considered ignoring her comments, but was concerned that having a credit balance would look bad. with most banks the credit limit is not raised (i.e. there is no way to make a purchase over $500, even if there is a credit balance that covers it, but the credit balance is used promptly to pay the card so you can be a big spender and make purchases approaching $500 (yes, there is some sarcasm intended).

I am the sort of prosperous customers who does large credit card spending (and a record of never being late) that most banks would love to have. Wile I am just economical to be willing to go to the trouble of managing a card with such a low limit to get 10% back, I would not bother if its rebate was the ame as other card. My wife is much less willing to go to trouble to save money and would quite using a card if it was ever refused or if she had to do much work.

Update:

Logging on I see my $500 credit limit has been raised from $500 to $2500.

However, I did go shopping today (before that happened)and was concerned about the low credit limit. I could not be sure when they would credit the next payment and whether my wife would try to use the card. I realized that she would be very unhappy if she had the card rejected and was embarrassed. Thus, I bought less than I otherwise would have. A smart bank does not place their more prosperous customers in this position.

I got turned away at S&S today, and Shaw's earlier last week. Need t start being creative with where I buy these GCs

vnuts21 said:   I got turned away at S&S today, and Shaw's earlier last week. Need t start being creative with where I buy these GCs
shaws was always a no-no around my area..But for this card why not buy from Walgreens or CVS?

Got my first $300 check today. Also got a call from the fraud department - just verifying all charges were mine.

btw, on this account they were holding my payments for 10 days in month 2, but when my statement cycled (into month 3) they started releasing my credit limit in a timely manner again.

SpeedingLunatic said:   btw, on this account they were holding my payments for 10 days in month 2, but when my statement cycled (into month 3) they started releasing my credit limit in a timely manner again.

same for me. In month two I just carried a 1500 credit balance (10 day hold and 500 purchase ever 3-4 days)

Month 3 is looking much better. The holds really cramped my style.


CashBack Points Earned This Month 343


That is for one week .

delete

mkdevo said:   Well, looks like S&S is going to start making GC purchases difficult, and the party may be over soon.


Are you talking about Stop&Shop? i shop there all the time as well. It's really nonsense, i dont believe a bit about cc scammers. It's really a bogus excuse. They know exactly what we are doing.

pyro123 said:   mkdevo said:   Well, looks like S&S is going to start making GC purchases difficult, and the party may be over soon.


Are you talking about Stop&Shop? i shop there all the time as well. It's really nonsense, i dont believe a bit about cc scammers. It's really a bogus excuse. They know exactly what we are doing.


Just curious why you don't think the scammer bit is believable? I've heard of it being a problem in stores before. (Thieves only have a small window of time to use the stolen CC before it is shutdown, so they buy up prepaids to keep the good times rolling). The stolen CC transactions later get disputed and S&S is on the hook for potentially heavy losses. I imagine with the CC transaction fee, there is probably little if any profit margin on selling these cards anyway, so with little upside (profit) and mostly downside (losses)... they are a business and only care about the bottom line in the end.

My biggest problem @ S&S is the cashiers accidentally putting in $5.00 for the amount instead of $500.00, then they have to call a manager over to help them void it so they can put it in right. They don't actually need a manager to do it, but they don't know that.

Today the cashier did that, then the person she asked for help said they don't allow CC payments for GCs of that amount. Then, without me asking, employee #2 went to ask a manager if it was allowed. She came back ~15 seconds later and said it was OK.

I have never been denied the $500 GCs there when a manager is involved, though I *never* push the issue or ask for one. If the cashier says no, I just pay for the rest of the order and come back later.

She did ask to see my ID, which I am happy to provide.

Crap, got the card locked again. I was doing 500-1000/day for about two weeks with no problem, then a few days ago I got another cashier who didn't know what she was doing, and sent for a manager. I was buying the GC + a few other things (as always, to keep the totals random), but she rang up all my other items and not the GC to keep the line moving. Then they ended up ringing up the GC alone. As soon as that lonely GC purchase posted, the account got locked.

Anyway, long story short, don't make 505.95 purchases with this card.

SpeedingLunatic said:   Crap, got the card locked again. I was doing 500-1000/day for about two weeks with no problem, then a few days ago I got another cashier who didn't know what she was doing, and sent for a manager. I was buying the GC + a few other things (as always, to keep the totals random), but she rang up all my other items and not the GC to keep the line moving. Then they ended up ringing up the GC alone. As soon as that lonely GC purchase posted, the account got locked.

Anyway, long story short, don't make 505.95 purchases with this card.


Bummer.

So you were able to get over $500 limit on the Charter One card?

I haven't signed up for it yet as I'm still several months out from liquidating all these cards I have now >_<

MADWAD said:   SpeedingLunatic said:   Crap, got the card locked again. I was doing 500-1000/day for about two weeks with no problem, then a few days ago I got another cashier who didn't know what she was doing, and sent for a manager. I was buying the GC + a few other things (as always, to keep the totals random), but she rang up all my other items and not the GC to keep the line moving. Then they ended up ringing up the GC alone. As soon as that lonely GC purchase posted, the account got locked.

Anyway, long story short, don't make 505.95 purchases with this card.


Bummer.

So you were able to get over $500 limit on the Charter One card?

I haven't signed up for it yet as I'm still several months out from liquidating all these cards I have now >_<


Have not tried the charter card yet. This is on a citizen's card in my wife's name (AU).

Only 6 days left on my Citizens card for 10%. Any last-minute tips for maximum abuse?


Anyone have any luck getting the deal with the other card after their 90 days on the first one? (ie applying for Charter One after 90 days of Citizens)?

MADWAD said:   I know I asked about gas gift cards, but has anyone gotten the 10% to count at in store purchases for gas stations? There is different coding for the gas terminals themselves, this is why I ask. --Thanks!

Anybody know if in-store purchases count? Or is it only at-the-pump purchases that get 10%?

mkdevo said:   Only 6 days left on my Citizens card for 10%. Any last-minute tips for maximum abuse?


Anyone have any luck getting the deal with the other card after their 90 days on the first one? (ie applying for Charter One after 90 days of Citizens)?


Rite aid or CVS Visa vanilla - $500 each - $4.95 fee

TheHimalayas said:   MADWAD said:   I know I asked about gas gift cards, but has anyone gotten the 10% to count at in store purchases for gas stations? There is different coding for the gas terminals themselves, this is why I ask. --Thanks!

Anybody know if in-store purchases count? Or is it only at-the-pump purchases that get 10%?


In store counts

Anyone received accumulated CB ( from your first 90 days) for a statements post first 90 days?

Kaparosky said:   Anyone received accumulated CB ( from your first 90 days) for a statements post first 90 days?

76hhma said:   It worked as expected, $300 cash-back is deducted online for this statement (have not received the statement/check yet).



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014