• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I just moved and found that in my new area not only are gas prices higher, but every station surcharges for credit card use! I would like to continue to use my Hilton HHonors AMEX to earn points but sometimes it doesn't seem worth it. I have heard that sometimes with a station's own branded credit card or gift card, they will give you the cash price. Can anyone comment if they have had success with this?

The main station in question is a Citgo and I know Citibank issues a Citgo card with a cash rebate, but there is nothing in the terms and conditions about being given the cash price. Would also be interested in your experiences with other stations- I have Shell, BP and a few others around too.

Thanks!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
About the only place I run into this cash/credit thing is in Indiana, where Swifty stations are, say $3.44 for credit an... (more)

cpaynter (Sep. 28, 2011 @ 6:59a) |

Shouldn't you be able to tell the price of the gas you are getting at the pump? Most of the places I gas up in the Nort... (more)

LiquidSilver (Sep. 28, 2011 @ 7:41a) |

Exactly.

In NJ and in VA an Exxon/Mobil gift card is always charged the CREDIT price. Most Exxon in NJ are ONE price but... (more)

MisterEd (Sep. 28, 2011 @ 7:40p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

why don't you ask the gas station when you fill up?

How about buying gas cards?

Depending on your CashBack, (I'm usually between 3-5% at gas stations) the cash price is usually .10-.15 cheaper than the credit price so anything over $3 a gallon is a wash for me and I prefer the ability to track the spending and carry less cash so I use my card. (If you aren't getting 3% on gas, go get the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred card, you'll thank me)

Another option would be to buy gas gift cards at another place that does take credit card without a surcharge as many chain gas stations accept their own gift cards at cash price.

I was at a BP this week and saw a sign saying they give cash price for BP GC's, and also all the various BP credit cards. I think this may be a new company policy. I'll have to go to a BP that I know charged credit card prices for GC's and see if they now charge cash price for gift card.

Also, its been mentioned on FW many times, Murphy Oil gives you a discount from the posted price if you use a WalMart/Sams Club gift card or credit card.

Try to find a Hess station - they usually don't surcharge for credit.

technically (and i think legally as far as cc's are concerned), they can't charge a surcharge (extra) for using a cc. so, if you read their print, they are technically offering you a discount for using cash, not surcharging you for using a cc.

Yes; and I find that when there's a station offering a "cash" price, there's always a station within a 2 mile radius that matches that prices and allows CCs at the competitor's cash price. There's an independent station that gives a $.04 cash discount but there's Hess that matches the cash price for any form of payment. But yet, there's always about the same amount of traffic at both stations; although there's occasionally variances especially when prices are rising or falling rapidly.

The problem with buying gift cards somewhere else is if one loses a bonus on their credit card for buying gas. That's my problem locally with WalMart. I can't buy a WalMart gift card and still get 5% back on it. So I end up paying about 10 cents more at a regular gas station to receive the 16-20 cent discount for a gas-coded purchase.

alwayslookinaround said:   technically (and i think legally as far as cc's are concerned), they can't charge a surcharge (extra) for using a cc. so, if you read their print, they are technically offering you a discount for using cash, not surcharging you for using a cc.

You are correct HOWEVER they get around this by not charging more for credit cards but charging less for cash.

Izzletodasmizzle said:   alwayslookinaround said:   technically (and i think legally as far as cc's are concerned), they can't charge a surcharge (extra) for using a cc. so, if you read their print, they are technically offering you a discount for using cash, not surcharging you for using a cc.

You are correct HOWEVER they get around this by not charging more for credit cards but charging less for cash.

You should've just ended your sentence with "you are correct"

If a cash price is offered, I always get the cash price when using a gasoline branded (Shell, Mobil, etc) gift card. But you almost always need to go inside to the cashier and cannot simply swipe outside.

Pun said:   Izzletodasmizzle said:   alwayslookinaround said:   technically (and i think legally as far as cc's are concerned), they can't charge a surcharge (extra) for using a cc. so, if you read their print, they are technically offering you a discount for using cash, not surcharging you for using a cc.

touche, touche.

Here I will quote Visa's merchant agreement for anyone that wants reference:

"Always treat Visa transactions like any other transaction; that is, you may not impose any surcharge on a Visa transaction. You may, however, offer a discount for cash transactions, provided that the offer is clearly disclosed to customers and the cash price is presented as a discount from the standard price charged for all other forms of payment."

Izzletodasmizzle said:   Pun said:   Izzletodasmizzle said:   alwayslookinaround said:   technically (and i think legally as far as cc's are concerned), they can't charge a surcharge (extra) for using a cc. so, if you read their print, they are technically offering you a discount for using cash, not surcharging you for using a cc.

touche, touche.

"Always treat Visa transactions like any other transaction; that is, you may not impose any surcharge on a Visa transaction. You may, however, offer a discount for cash transactions, provided that the offer is clearly disclosed to customers and the cash price is presented as a discount from the standard price charged for all other forms of payment."

goto sleep, and revisit those post when you wake up in the morning.

Pun said:   Izzletodasmizzle said:   Pun said:   Izzletodasmizzle said:   alwayslookinaround said:   technically (and i think legally as far as cc's are concerned), they can't charge a surcharge (extra) for using a cc. so, if you read their print, they are technically offering you a discount for using cash, not surcharging you for using a cc.

touche, touche.

Geez dude calm down, I'm agreeing with you. Perhaps your the one that needs to understand the definition of touche...

Izzletodasmizzle said:   Pun said:   Izzletodasmizzle said:   Pun said:   Izzletodasmizzle said:   alwayslookinaround said:   technically (and i think legally as far as cc's are concerned), they can't charge a surcharge (extra) for using a cc. so, if you read their print, they are technically offering you a discount for using cash, not surcharging you for using a cc.

touche, touche.

Geez dude calm down, I'm agreeing with you. Perhaps your the one that needs to understand the definition of touche...

Every time some ruhtard misuses your/you're it puts me on life tilt for a good hour.

Well I'm sure there are a lot of other threads you can nit pick through and get "life tilted" on.

ANYWAYS....back on topic. Sorry OP for all the thread jacking going on.

I very rarely run into a gas station that charges different cash/credit prices. But when I have, I've always been able to do better paying the credit price and using a card that gives Cash Back on gas, usually 5%+. Even a 3% card, at today's prices, would provide over 10 back per gallon.

For years my local Citgo offered a discount (5 per gallon IIRC) if you paid with a Citgo credit card -OR- Citgo gift card. So, I had this ritual: park at the pump, go into the store, buy a gift card with my best gas rewards card (Discover, AMEX, M/C as appropriate for the time period), go back out to the pump and use the gift card at the pump to get the discount. Best of both worlds: got the discount on my credit card and got the Citgo discount. You can bet that before my Citi Driver's Edge rebate dropped from 12% to 6% on gas, I stocked up big time on gift cards! Actually, I had just gotten to the bottom of them when I went into the store to buy a new gift card, and they told me "Sorry, you can't buy a gift card using a credit card as payment any more." I thought they had finally caught on to my scheme! Turns out they were doing me a favor. Less than a week later, they became a BP, so my Citgo gift card wouldn't have been nearly as useful.

Chris.

FWIW my local Shell station has a cash discount, and gives the cash price for Shell gas gift cards. So you could buy the gift cards at the supermarket on your credit card and use them at the pump for the cash price.

That said, my local Shell station is super expensive compared to other stations in the area so I rarely go there As always, YMMV.

a bunch of gas stations in my neighborhood started doing this. I started actually telling them that that is why I was longer using them. A bunch of others also boycotted agaist anyone who did cash and cc different prices. The places that offered the same pricing were busy for a while and those who offered cash and cc different prices were empty. Significantly those places have now almost all switched back to 1 priceing.

My shell station charged me credit price for using a shell gift card at the pump. Next time I have a chance, I want to go inside and ask them why?

I just buy gas from Sam's Club who sells it as a loss leader.

With rewards from a local grocer and a BP card, the BP price plus the rewards still comes out higher than what Sam's Club will charge.

yes, Chase and BP.

I have a Chase BP card and get cash price at all stations, plus 5% Cash Back. Awesome card.

I'm in NJ btw, so I don't even have to pump my own gas... yay!

ClaimsGuy said:   My shell station charged me credit price for using a shell gift card at the pump. Next time I have a chance, I want to go inside and ask them why? Probably because credit card is the "regular price" and you always pay regular price when you pay at the pump. To get the cash discount, you need to pay inside and the cashier needs to apply the discount.

Alcibiades said:   If a cash price is offered, I always get the cash price when using a gasoline branded (Shell, Mobil, etc) gift card. But you almost always need to go inside to the cashier and cannot simply swipe outside.

I have always gotten the cash price at the pump when using a Shell gift card, it never even occurred to me that it might not. Now that I know that it works differently at some stations, I'll be extra cautious.

cpaynter said:   

For years my local Citgo offered a discount (5 per gallon IIRC) if you paid with a Citgo credit card -OR- Citgo gift card.

(aside) You know that's a state owned straight-into-the-pocket-of-Hugo-Chavez Venezuelan company, right?

Any gas station that has a surcharge for credit card us gets ZERO of my business.

ganda said:   

(aside) You know that's a state owned straight-into-the-pocket-of-Hugo-Chavez Venezuelan company, right?

Any gas station that has a surcharge for credit card us gets ZERO of my business.

Finally someone else said it. I have seen these threads before, with no mention of this. Thanks for telling the truth.

And agree totally with the "surcharge gets none of my business" idea too.

tarheeljim said:   ganda said:   

Finally someone else said it. I have seen these threads before, with no mention of this. Thanks for telling the truth.

So if gas station A charges 1 price: $3.50/gal
and gas station B charges 2 prices: $3.40 for cash, and $3.45 for credit

Are you still going to buy at gas station A ?

axiom said:   I just buy gas from Sam's Club who sells it as a loss leader.

With rewards from a local grocer and a BP card, the BP price plus the rewards still comes out higher than what Sam's Club will charge.

I just want to challenge this 'loss leader' thinking. I have been comparing club stores (Costco/Sam's Club) gas prices and prices from other known lower margin brands (Vons-safeway/Kroger-Ralphs/Valero-related) in my region, and I do not think Sam's Club sells it as a loss leader. The low price might make you think so, but it is not. When these chains release such breakdowns (if they do), you will see that gas is a very profitable business for them because many of these chains are increasing locations with fuel.

I think the ones who badly want the cash/card difference are independent franchisees who are not making enough on inside business (C-store) in their own mind. Some chains like ARCO (from BP) are mostly cash-only (with few exceptions), but you can use ARCO gift cards from grocery stores (bought with a nice reward credit card) with no fee at ARCOs.

Rasheed

echip said:   tarheeljim said:   ganda said:   

I've never noticed that scenario, the credit price at A always seems basically the same as the credit price at B. Really, B should just go "cash only" and be done with it.

On my "regular" routes I know which gas stations do this cash/credit crap and I don't think I even notice them any more, I just buy elsewhere. If I get off the freeway somewhere unfamiliar with a selection of gas stations indicated I will always head to the Wawa or Hess since they don't pull this crap.

ganda said:   echip said:   tarheeljim said:   ganda said:   

I've never noticed that scenario, the credit price at A always seems basically the same as the credit price at B. Really, B should just go "cash only" and be done with it.

On my "regular" routes I know which gas stations do this cash/credit crap and I don't think I even notice them any more, I just buy elsewhere. If I get off the freeway somewhere unfamiliar with a selection of gas stations indicated I will always head to the Wawa or Hess since they don't pull this crap.

About the only place I run into this cash/credit thing is in Indiana, where Swifty stations are, say $3.44 for credit and $3.39 for cash, while the stores around it are $3.45. For a penny, I won't go out of my way to get gas at a Swifty, but if it's convenient, why not? And I'll gladly pay the 5 extra per gallon for paying with credit to get back 17 per gallon in rewards.

Chris.

Shouldn't you be able to tell the price of the gas you are getting at the pump? Most of the places I gas up in the Northeast do the different cash and credit prices, and depending on which option you choose the price displayed changes. So if you swipe the branded gas CC, and it still shows a CC price, that is what you are going to get charged. If it changes to the cash price, that is what you pay. There shouldn't be any doubt at the pump wether you are getting the cash or credit pricing.

LiquidSilver said:   Shouldn't you be able to tell the price of the gas you are getting at the pump? Most of the places I gas up in the Northeast do the different cash and credit prices, and depending on which option you choose the price displayed changes. So if you swipe the branded gas CC, and it still shows a CC price, that is what you are going to get charged. If it changes to the cash price, that is what you pay. There shouldn't be any doubt at the pump wether you are getting the cash or credit pricing.

Exactly.

In NJ and in VA an Exxon/Mobil gift card is always charged the CREDIT price. Most Exxon in NJ are ONE price but the 1 I have been to that is not charges the Credit price. They have no control over it because when the card is inserted into the pump that is what determines the price, it's not a manual thing and they can't override it . Same thing in VA. It charges CC price. I had a big fight the first time I saw that with the "manager" (who conveniently didn't speak much English) but it's the computer in the pump that determines the price anyway and he said he can't change it anyway.

I only buy gas with Exxon/Mobil cards because I get them "at a discount" so I use them all the time.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014