• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I'm in your shoes. Single guy who probably spends $3000-$3500 on groceries per year. My situation was two Chase Freedoms (after downgrading a Sapphire Preferred). Before I got the SM card I maxed out my Freedom grocery category bonus in the first quarter by buying $1000 in grocery store gift cards. I've since whittled that $1000 down to about $200 between groceries and the grocery branded gas. Once that goes, I'll switch over to the SM for the rest of the year for groceries (and later gas once the Freedom Q3 gas bonus ends). I'm trying to build up Chase UR reward points so when I reapply for the CSP (and the nice 40k bonus) next year I have some UR to transfer to Southwest and United. 

Everything else goes on my 2% Priceline card. 

That buying of Amex gift cards with the 5% category spending to pay off non-bonus category spending sounds pretty smart though. 

rated:
Received a flyer in the mail for 2x bonus points on restaurants, electronics stores and amusement parks (3% overall) from July 1st to September 30th.

Appears to be targeted.

rated:
Krazen1211 said:   
NewFarmBoy said:   For other Barclays credit cards postings are going around telling that Barclays took off the Foreign Transaction Fee.  I requested a copy of my current Cardmember Agreement for my Sallie Mae MasterCard on March19, 2015 and received it on April 3, 2015.  And it tells unfortunately:
Transaction Fees: Foreign Transaction: 3% of each transaction in U.S. dollars.
Does someone has otherwise recent experience with the Sallie Mae MasterCard and Foreign Transaction Fees?

I have no idea why you would use this card overseas.

Well, if the FTF had been removed as the poster said was true on other cards, it could be worth doing.

rated:
devyanks90 said:   Received a flyer in the mail for 2x bonus points on restaurants, electronics stores and amusement parks (3% overall) from July 1st to September 30th.

Appears to be targeted.

Nothing for me.  I actually would have put this to good use too.

rated:
Got a 2X offer for supermarket, Drugstore and electronics store purchases on my PL card, but nothing for SM. I LOVE both cards for their benefit packages, but HATE Barclay's customer service. Their dispute department is the absolute WORST that I've seen in years (maybe ever). It's so bad in fact that I will use my AMEX (Blue) from now on if I think that there is any possibility of a problem with a vendor and take a 1% hit on the rewards.

rated:
Their customer service department recently for non-dispute issue was pretty good recently (about 3 months ago). Their dispute department and the handling of disputes is horrible. They waited to almost the last day to resolve a dispute with all dispute information provided in written format.

Did not receive the 2X offers listed above, but did receive a 5X offer from Citibank for same categories.

rated:
telflonmail said:   Their customer service department recently for non-dispute issue was pretty good recently (about 3 months ago). Their dispute department and the handling of disputes is horrible. They waited to almost the last day to resolve a dispute with all dispute information provided in written format.

Did not receive the 2X offers listed above, but did receive a 5X offer from Citibank for same categories.

I third the opinion that their dispute department is abysmal. I filed a dispute in February and have yet to have any response from them.  I have followed up with multiple times only to be told to keep waiting. I will gladly take the rewards hit next time I feel the slightest bit anxious about the vendor. In the past, I have only filed a dispute with Amex, which has always been handled immediately and in my favor. I have never experienced anything like this Barclays dispute "resolution".  It's almost enough to make me give up the card entirely.

rated:
My experience with customer service: I made a purchase at a store that is classified as grocery by two other cards I have, but it wasn't given grocery points by Sallie Mae. Customer service told me that store is not classified as grocery but they gave me 5x points as a one-time courtesy for this purchase.

rated:
I haven't had any problems with their CS in addressing non-dispute related issues or questions. Their dispute department, however, is apparently a separate group. In the years that I've had my PL and SM cards I have had 2 disputes. One was resolved (albeit painfully) in my favor. The second one.... I ordered a hard drive from Fry's and they dropped the price by $10 after I placed my order, but before I received it. I emailed Fry's CS and requested a price adjustment and never even got a reply. Crappy customer service, but no shock there. I only very rarely order from them anyway, since I don't have a B&M near me and getting one of their sale products while it is still available for shipping is like picking a winning lottery number. Anyway, I ended up refusing the package (USPS), but Fry's said that they never received the return. After trying to resolve it with Fry's, I contacted Barclay's dispute dept. (with trepidation, since I had dealt with them before). Sure enough, I was told that they could only process a dispute arising from a lost refused shipment "if the seller provided them with an acknowledgement of receipt of the returned package". Heh.
Since it's not my first rodeo, I had personally taken the refused package to my local post office and obtained a receipt documenting that I had sent the unopened package back, so I'll ultimately get my money back via a lost package claim, but that was my last dance with Barclay's.

rated:
The statement balance autopay feature is a sick joke. I got charged interest today despite having the feature turned on since a few months ago, and was told when I called that the most recent scheduled payment had gotten overridden/cancelled in the system because I had applied a statement credit earlier in the month that covered the minimum charge. Neither of the two representatives with whom I spoke understood that an autopay on statement balance means that the system automatically processes the STATEMENT BALANCE regardless of previous credits applied (according to the autopay page) and therefore I should not be charged interest, because the statement would have been paid in full. Both verified that I had indeed had autopay on statement balance turned on.

I'm going to call again and take down names for the BBB.

rated:
Yea I don't like their autopay system either compared to other banks. Other banks, if you pay any or all of the statement balance before due date, they decrease the amount owed. Up to about 6 months ago, they did that. Then one month, I was pissed when I had paid more than double the statement balance and they still pulled from my account. Rep tried to convince me that that was always the way it worked but I told him to just look at my past months (over a year) and it didn't do that. Morale of the story I cancelled autopay. I just turn it on as a safety net anyways in case I forget to pay.

rated:
How much Cash Back rate can Sallie Mae Cash Back credit card get on WalMart.com?

rated:
leetingbot said:   How much Cash Back rate can Sallie Mae Cash Back credit card get on WalMart.com?
  1%

If you need to order from WalMart.com, go to a WalMart store that you know codes as grocery and buy a gift card.

rated:
cdancer20 said:   leetingbot said:   How much Cash Back rate can Sallie Mae Cash Back credit card get on WalMart.com?
  1%

If you need to order from WalMart.com, go to a WalMart store that you know codes as grocery and buy a gift card.

thanks. It's a good idea.

Are there some credit cards with better CashBack or reward points at WalMart.com?

rated:
all your answers will be over on FlyerTalk blog

rated:
What WalMart store can be counted as 5%?
Does supercenter count?

rated:
leetingbot said:   What WalMart store can be counted as 5%?
Does supercenter count?

Generally supercenters are coded as 5%. Non-supercenters in my area are not.

rated:
DealNegotiator said:   
https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/sallie-mae-card/

Guys, the link to the Sallie Mae Card on the first page of this thread no longer works. It now redirects to the Upromise Card. The Sallie Mae Card is no longer anywhere on the Sallie Mae website.

Applications are still being taken but I suspect that is only temporary.  OTOH, Barclays is sending the following out to targeted customers, so maybe not.
chicagorich said:

From October 1 through December 31, you can earn bonus Reward Points when you use your Sallie Mae® MasterCard® for eligible travel, department store and toy and game store purchases. Just activate this offer by October 20, 2015, and you’ll earn 2 bonus Reward Points for every $1 spent on eligible purchases that post to your account, up to 2,500 bonus Reward Points.¹

rated:
JNinCA said:   
DealNegotiator said:   
https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/sallie-mae-card/

Guys, the link to the Sallie Mae Card on the first page of this thread no longer works. It now redirects to the Upromise Card. The Sallie Mae Card is no longer anywhere on the Sallie Mae website.

Applications are still being taken but I suspect that is only temporary.  OTOH, Barclays is sending the following out to targeted customers, so maybe not.
chicagorich said:

From October 1 through December 31, you can earn bonus Reward Points when you use your Sallie Mae® MasterCard® for eligible travel, department store and toy and game store purchases. Just activate this offer by October 20, 2015, and you’ll earn 2 bonus Reward Points for every $1 spent on eligible purchases that post to your account, up to 2,500 bonus Reward Points.¹

Barclay always has targeted bonus spending.  That shows nothing.  It's possible though that they are closing applications.  That doesn't necessarily affect current card holders.

rated:
Today I tried to redeem my points for upromise and got an error ("We're sorry, something went unexpectedly wrong.."). After talking to several CSRs, I was told that they implemented automatic redemption that occurs when the balance reaches $25, and defaults to statement credit. The CSR was presumably able to change it to my upromise account, we'll see if it works.

rated:
DrXX said:   Today I tried to redeem my points for upromise and got an error ("We're sorry, something went unexpectedly wrong.."). After talking to several CSRs, I was told that they implemented automatic redemption that occurs when the balance reaches $25, and defaults to statement credit. The CSR was presumably able to change it to my upromise account, we'll see if it works.
If this is true, then it's new.  I redeemed to upromise just a week ago.

rated:
Looks like they've definitely closed the Sallie Mae Card (Mastercard) to new applicants.  It's gone form the Barclay's website, and links from 3rd-party sites to an application either say "offer not currently available", or link to some Sallie Mae "upromise" card that lacks 5% grocery CashBack and several other features. 

Since my online statement cut just a day or twp ago I checked for fine print indicating a change for current cardholders - found nothing so far indicating this.  But it's not uncommon for banks to first shut off new applications, then a few months later to worsen terms for existing cardholders.

rated:
...Son of a bitch! I've been waiting for a sign-up bonus to get this card. I don't need anymore dings to my credit.... arrrrgh! If I can't get this I'm pretty boned

I don't see it anywhere on their site either.

rated:
justignoredem said:   ...Son of a bitch! I've been waiting for a sign-up bonus to get this card. I don't need anymore dings to my credit.... arrrrgh! If I can't get this I'm pretty boned

Did this card ever have a sign-up bonus?  I don't recall.  At the most, it was like $25-$50. 

rated:
fw9999 said:   Looks like they've definitely closed the Sallie Mae Card (Mastercard) to new applicants.  It's gone form the Barclay's website, and links from 3rd-party sites to an application either say "offer not currently available", or link to some Sallie Mae "upromise" card that lacks 5% grocery CashBack and several other features. 

Since my online statement cut just a day or twp ago I checked for fine print indicating a change for current cardholders - found nothing so far indicating this.  But it's not uncommon for banks to first shut off new applications, then a few months later to worsen terms for existing cardholders.

Not necessarily.  Things change all the time including with Barclaycard.  Take for instance their US Airways CC.  They stopped offering it as soon as the merger to American Airlines was nearing the end.  However, the credit card has seen no hiccups.  Matter of fact, they now offer 3 variants of the card to their current card holders.   Doesn't look like their plans to cut it off.

rated:
DrXX said:   Today I tried to redeem my points for upromise and got an error ("We're sorry, something went unexpectedly wrong.."). After talking to several CSRs, I was told that they implemented automatic redemption that occurs when the balance reaches $25, and defaults to statement credit. The CSR was presumably able to change it to my upromise account, we'll see if it works.

I haven't see this yet. I checked my account today and had 2900+ points and I had to manually do the redemption.

EDITED - because I neglected to do the math and didn't realize I'd gone over $250, therefore I wasn't really shorted on points on my last purchase, duh. Usually I keep better track and switch to another card. Sorry. But the above still stands - I had no automatic redemption.

rated:
cdancer20 said:   justignoredem said:   ...Son of a bitch! I've been waiting for a sign-up bonus to get this card. I don't need anymore dings to my credit.... arrrrgh! If I can't get this I'm pretty boned

Did this card ever have a sign-up bonus?  I don't recall.  At the most, it was like $25-$50. 

I had a $25 bonus on it a couple years ago.

rated:
As far as what type of upromise account you have to have for redemption, is it the standard upromise account or could it be say the "GoalSaver" account? I'm assuming its just the "upromise" account but want to double check. From there, I assume you could cash that money from the Upromise account out to another savings account?

rated:
mkaufman1 said:   As far as what type of upromise account you have to have for redemption, is it the standard upromise account or could it be say the "GoalSaver" account? I'm assuming its just the "upromise" account but want to double check. From there, I assume you could cash that money from the Upromise account out to another savings account?
  It depends on what you are trying to do.  Technically you only need a regular upromise account to redeem.  However, if you are don't plan to attach the High Yield Savings account, it's probably better to just do statement credits  The High Yield Savings account, when you meet the easy requirements, gives an extra 10% bonus for all Upromise CashBack from the prior year and Sallie Mae CC credit counts towards that. 

rated:
I started a transfer to my Upromise account 6 weeks ago. It's still pending. Very slow, apparently.

rated:
cdancer20 said:   
mkaufman1 said:   As far as what type of upromise account you have to have for redemption, is it the standard upromise account or could it be say the "GoalSaver" account? I'm assuming its just the "upromise" account but want to double check. From there, I assume you could cash that money from the Upromise account out to another savings account?
  It depends on what you are trying to do.  Technically you only need a regular upromise account to redeem.  However, if you are don't plan to attach the High Yield Savings account, it's probably better to just do statement credits  The High Yield Savings account, when you meet the easy requirements, gives an extra 10% bonus for all Upromise CashBack from the prior year and Sallie Mae CC credit counts towards that. 

Can you point me to the documentation for that? I have the Goalsaver and I see the 10% bonus, but nothing regarding SalleMae cc credit in regards to it. Or do we transfer to Upromise then transfer to Goalsaver? It seems strange that would be included since it's not actual Upromise CashBack.

rated:
Has anyone switched from the High Yield Savings to the new Goalsavers? Do you have to create a new account or can you just call the bank or Upromise and convert the HYS account?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016