• filter:
  • 118192021 22
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
MaddHatter said:   Sure, it's great for me. I mean from the perspective of the bank. In answer to the question of whether these are targeted, have rules for which card flavor gets them, IME the answer seems to be "no, or at least not in any way that makes sense". If I'm already putting gas on the card, Sallie Mae's reasoning for offering me an extra 2 cents is....
  Ok so I misread you.  I thought u were saying that it was better to spend it to the other card.  The direction of the less than/greater than sign threw me.

rated:
devyanks90 said:   Got an email today with an offer to enroll for 2 bonus points for purchases at Gas Stations, Restaurants and Home Improvement stores for Q2. (Max 2500 bonus points)
I got the same offer on the 8th.  Good for Gas, but not so much for the other two categories (covered by Chase Freedom and/or Discover this quarter).

rated:
MaddHatter said:   Sure, it's great for me. I mean from the perspective of the bank. In answer to the question of whether these are targeted, have rules for which card flavor gets them, IME the answer seems to be "no, or at least not in any way that makes sense". If I'm already putting gas on the card, Sallie Mae's reasoning for offering me an extra 2 cents is....
The only reason I can think of is to get you to think about that card in your mind more often.  Kinda like the Kardashian Clan.  Being in the news for any reason at all still means they are in the news.  That ups their "promotional fee" for marketing products and the such/crap/etc.  With the credit card, it makes people possibly use it more often just because they have been using it.

However for most savvy FW users, that doesn't work.  We know which card to use, when, how, and the limit.  It doesn't matter how much they try to market a credit card that returns 1% Cash Back.  I won't use it if I have another card on me that returns more.

rated:
Yay! My 2500 bonus points from last quarter posted this week. I had forgotten about it and was confused how I had nearly $50 worth of points but hadn't already redeemed the $25. Then I remembered and did the math.

rated:
Idle question... so we know people have had mixed results (mostly positive for me) results at getting 5% on this card at b&m Wal-Mart stores.  What about WalMart.com?  I'm presuming only 1% there.  Can anyone confirm/deny?

Chris.

rated:

rated:
cpaynter said:   Idle question... so we know people have had mixed results (mostly positive for me) results at getting 5% on this card at b&m Wal-Mart stores.  What about WalMart.com?  I'm presuming only 1% there.  Can anyone confirm/deny?

Chris.

No idea.  What I did is go to WM that I know is 5% and buy a WM gift card.  Then I use a shopping portal like TopCashback or w/e and buy my item from WalMart.com.  Then I am getting the item for 8-10% CashBack and I don't have to worry about if it's going to code as 5%.  Of course I wouldn't do this for an item that I want the extra credit card protection on.

rated:
youbet2 said:   Use Discover Card if you have one
https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cashback-bonus/shopdiscover.html#partners-w

You don't HAVE to use a Discover card when using the Discover portal.  However, if your order doesn't track, you will be denied any recourse.  So use at your own risk.

rated:
cdancer20 said:   
cpaynter said:   Idle question... so we know people have had mixed results (mostly positive for me) results at getting 5% on this card at b&m Wal-Mart stores.  What about WalMart.com?  I'm presuming only 1% there.  Can anyone confirm/deny?

Chris.

No idea.  What I did is go to WM that I know is 5% and buy a WM gift card.  Then I use a shopping portal like TopCashback or w/e and buy my item from WalMart.com.  Then I am getting the item for 8-10% CashBack and I don't have to worry about if it's going to code as 5%.  Of course I wouldn't do this for an item that I want the extra credit card protection on.

Thanks for the G/C tip.  I'll consider that for next time.  Because, as I somewhat expected, WalMart.com only gets 1% on the SM card.  But I did use the ShopDiscover portal trick for 5% back.

Chris.

rated:
cdancer20 said:   
https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cashback-bonus/shopdiscover.html#partners-w

You don't HAVE to use a Discover card when using the Discover portal.  However, if your order doesn't track, you will be denied any recourse.  So use at your own risk.

If I buy through the ShopDiscover portal using a gift card will I get the Cash Back or does it have to be a credit card?

rated:
GamingPhenom said:   
cdancer20 said:   

If I buy through the ShopDiscover portal using a gift card will I get the Cash Back or does it have to be a credit card?

I have never used ShopDiscover with a gift card so IDK.  However with other portals, it varies and depends on the store.  You have to read the terms for that store on the portal website.  I have had success using gift cards unless it specifically says you cannot get points for using a gift card.

rated:
Thanks. I'll probably try it out with a small transaction to see what happens.

rated:
i got approved for $600 limit on a 730 FICO
granted i was honest and told them my actual income (20k lol)

good thing i only plan to buy gas with it...

rated:
cdancer20 said:   

Chris.

Aren't a lot of grocery items only available for purchase in the store though? Is there any way to find out which Walmarts give 5% before going to the store?

rated:
GamingPhenom said:   
cdancer20 said:   

Chris.

Aren't a lot of grocery items only available for purchase in the store though? Is there any way to find out which Walmarts give 5% before going to the store?

from my experience, super walmarts = 5%, all other WalMart types = 1%

rated:
yurgreat said:   
GamingPhenom said:   
cdancer20 said:   

Chris.

from my experience, super walmarts = 5%, all other WalMart types = 1%

Yea that is about right.  Also Neighborhood Walmarts are 5% as well.

Yes there is a way to see what stores code as.  Mastercard pretty much follows the same MCC as Visa.   Check out this website: https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/index.jsp

rated:
Generally speaking, Super Wal-marts with full size grocery stores with individual dept's (deli, bakery, meat, produce, etc) are classified as grocery stores, even if you buy a bicycle, you'll get 5% back

rated:
I received a promotion to earn 2 bonus points per $1 for grocery, drug stores, and electronic purchases.  Does the promotion apply to authorized card users?  The enrollment only listed the main account number, but the authorized user card is a different number.  All post to the same account, but the transactions itemize to the AU card.

rated:
Didn't see this posted in the thread anywhere, so I'll ask: Is there anywhere in my online account where I can track my monthly grocery purchases? They only seem to have a sort of "General" category, which does me zero good. The irritating thing is that I know that they track it, because the first dollar that I spend over my limit stops accruing bonus points. Called the CS department a few days ago and they were clueless. The first CSR chased all around, put me on hold, then disconnected me after about 15 minutes. The second wasn't any better, but I wasn't stupid enough to burn much more time on it at that point.

rated:
irobot said:   Didn't see this posted in the thread anywhere, so I'll ask: Is there anywhere in my online account where I can track my monthly grocery purchases? They only seem to have a sort of "General" category, which does me zero good. The irritating thing is that I know that they track it, because the first dollar that I spend over my limit stops accruing bonus points. Called the CS department a few days ago and they were clueless. The first CSR chased all around, put me on hold, then disconnected me after about 15 minutes. The second wasn't any better, but I wasn't stupid enough to burn much more time on it at that point.
  The old fashioned way of adding up the transactions. Whatever has received 5 points per dollar and is not gas or books; the same goes for the other 2 categories.

rated:
Thanks. That's what I thought. I had hoped there would be a little help from the website, but I really knew better.

rated:
cashbackcardsonly said:   Generally speaking, Super Wal-marts with full size grocery stores with individual dept's (deli, bakery, meat, produce, etc) are classified as grocery stores, even if you buy a bicycle, you'll get 5% back
  Not only that, I remember reading Vision Center/Pharmacy Center @WM count toward 5%. Haven't heard about electronics dept.

rated:
telflonmail said:   
irobot said:   Didn't see this posted in the thread anywhere, so I'll ask: Is there anywhere in my online account where I can track my monthly grocery purchases? They only seem to have a sort of "General" category, which does me zero good. The irritating thing is that I know that they track it, because the first dollar that I spend over my limit stops accruing bonus points. Called the CS department a few days ago and they were clueless. The first CSR chased all around, put me on hold, then disconnected me after about 15 minutes. The second wasn't any better, but I wasn't stupid enough to burn much more time on it at that point.
  The old fashioned way of adding up the transactions. Whatever has received 5 points per dollar and is not gas or books; the same goes for the other 2 categories.

you have to look at each transaction in the "posted transactions" screen to see how it's categorized.

rated:
cashbackcardsonly said:   Generally speaking, Super Wal-marts with full size grocery stores with individual dept's (deli, bakery, meat, produce, etc) are classified as grocery stores, even if you buy a bicycle, you'll get 5% back
The Wal-Mart I went to had separate registers for the grocery section (that's the only superstore I had ever been to so they are probably all that way). I didn't even go into the other half of the store. Are you saying that if I use my Sallie Mae anywhere in the store I would get 5% Cash Back? I'll keep that in mind even though I rarely shop in Wal-Mart.

rated:
GamingPhenom said:   
The Wal-Mart I went to had separate registers for the grocery section (that's the only superstore I had ever been to so they are probably all that way). I didn't even go into the other half of the store. Are you saying that if I use my Sallie Mae anywhere in the store I would get 5% Cash Back? I'll keep that in mind even though I rarely shop in Wal-Mart.

Yes he is. Also, there are definitely WalMart Supercenters with one bank of registers for all departments (the ones near my college at least)

rated:
I've browsed through this thread and think I know the answer, but can anyone confirm this card is 5% back on Amazon? If so, it's worth it just for that. Thanks.

rated:
MoogLiberation said:   I've browsed through this thread and think I know the answer, but can anyone confirm this card is 5% back on Amazon? If so, it's worth it just for that. Thanks.
Yes. Up to $500/mo.in spend.

Correction: $750/mo. Thx devyanks90.

rated:
BostonOne said:   
MoogLiberation said:   I've browsed through this thread and think I know the answer, but can anyone confirm this card is 5% back on Amazon? If so, it's worth it just for that. Thanks.
Yes. Up to $500/mo.in spend. 

it's $750 a month for bookstores (inc. Amazon)

rated:
Make sure to buy directly from Amazon. 3rd party is YMMV.

rated:
vagrants said:   Make sure to buy directly from Amazon. 3rd party is YMMV.
  My experience is that both sold by Amazon and fulfilled by Amazon items get 5%, while shipped by third party items and digital media items seem to only get 1%. I think Kindle books were among those getting 1% which is ironic for the bookstore classification.

rated:
kboran said:   
vagrants said:   Make sure to buy directly from Amazon. 3rd party is YMMV.
  My experience is that both sold by Amazon and fulfilled by Amazon items get 5%, while shipped by third party items and digital media items seem to only get 1%. I think Kindle books were among those getting 1% which is ironic for the bookstore classification.

I know. Just a fair warning. Not all 3rd party. Thus, YMMV. I bought adult stuffs in the past not directly sold by Amazon but fullfilled by Amazon, didn't get 5% If you return or get partial refunds, you get 5% deducted although you didn't get 5% but 1%. Happy now?

rated:
I think I mentioned this earlier but buy Amazon gift cards and use those to buy from 3rd party merchants.

rated:
AlphabetBackward said:   I think I mentioned this earlier but buy Amazon gift cards and use those to buy from 3rd party merchants.
  Every time somebody asks, discussions above and Amazon GC comes up. Yes, & you don't get the credit card protection.

rated:
  As others have mentioned, there is no way to directly track your spending from Barclay.  What I do is I use Mint.com (free service) and I use a tag for Groceries/Gas.  Then I use a calendar plugin for Chrome to sort by dates and tag.  Then I can see how much I have spent on items tagged Grocery between 03/05 to 04/05 for example.  A bit extra work to set up but better than having to add by hand if you have a lot of small purchases.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014