• filter:
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I'm in your shoes. Single guy who probably spends $3000-$3500 on groceries per year. My situation was two Chase Freedoms (after downgrading a Sapphire Preferred). Before I got the SM card I maxed out my Freedom grocery category bonus in the first quarter by buying $1000 in grocery store gift cards. I've since whittled that $1000 down to about $200 between groceries and the grocery branded gas. Once that goes, I'll switch over to the SM for the rest of the year for groceries (and later gas once the Freedom Q3 gas bonus ends). I'm trying to build up Chase UR reward points so when I reapply for the CSP (and the nice 40k bonus) next year I have some UR to transfer to Southwest and United.†

Everything else goes on my 2% Priceline card.†

That buying of Amex gift cards with the 5% category spending to pay off non-bonus category spending sounds pretty smart though.†

rated:
Received a flyer in the mail for 2x bonus points on restaurants, electronics stores and amusement parks (3% overall) from July 1st to September 30th.

Appears to be targeted.

rated:
Krazen1211 said:   
NewFarmBoy said:   For other Barclays credit cards postings are going around telling that Barclays took off†the Foreign Transaction Fee.††I requested a copy of my current Cardmember Agreement for my Sallie Mae MasterCard†on March19, 2015 and received it on April 3, 2015.† And it tells unfortunately:
Transaction Fees: Foreign Transaction: 3% of each transaction in U.S. dollars.
Does someone has otherwise recent experience with the Sallie Mae MasterCard†and Foreign Transaction Fees?

††I have no idea why you would use this card overseas.

Well, if the FTF had been removed as the poster said was true on other cards, it could be worth doing.

rated:
devyanks90 said:   Received a flyer in the mail for 2x bonus points on restaurants, electronics stores and amusement parks (3% overall) from July 1st to September 30th.

Appears to be targeted.

††Nothing for me.† I actually would have put this to good use too.

rated:
Got a 2X offer for supermarket, Drugstore and electronics store purchases on my PL card, but nothing for SM. I LOVE both cards for their benefit packages, but HATE Barclay's customer service. Their dispute department is the absolute WORST that I've seen in years (maybe ever). It's so bad in fact that I will use my AMEX (Blue) from now on if I think that there is any possibility of a problem with a vendor and take a 1% hit on the rewards.

rated:
Their customer service department recently for non-dispute issue was pretty good recently (about 3 months ago). Their dispute department and the handling of disputes is horrible. They waited to almost the last day to resolve a dispute with all dispute information provided in written format.

Did not receive the 2X offers listed above, but did receive a 5X offer from Citibank for same categories.

rated:
telflonmail said:   Their customer service department recently for non-dispute issue was pretty good recently (about 3 months ago). Their dispute department and the handling of disputes is horrible. They waited to almost the last day to resolve a dispute with all dispute information provided in written format.

Did not receive the 2X offers listed above, but did receive a 5X offer from Citibank for same categories.

† I third the opinion that their dispute department is abysmal. I filed a dispute in February and have yet to have any response from them. †I have followed up with multiple times only to be told to keep waiting. I will gladly take the rewards hit next time I feel the slightest bit anxious about the vendor. In the past, I have only filed a dispute with Amex, which has always been handled immediately and in my favor. I have never experienced anything like this Barclays dispute "resolution". †It's almost enough to make me give up the card entirely.

rated:
My experience with customer service: I made a purchase at a store that is classified as grocery by two other cards I have, but it wasn't given grocery points by Sallie Mae. Customer service told me that store is not classified as grocery but they gave me 5x points as a one-time courtesy for this purchase.

rated:
I haven't had any problems with their CS in addressing non-dispute related issues or questions. Their dispute department, however, is apparently a separate group. In the years that I've had my PL and SM cards I have had 2 disputes. One was resolved (albeit painfully) in my favor. The second one.... I ordered a hard drive from Fry's and they dropped the price by $10 after I placed my order, but before I received it. I emailed Fry's CS and requested a price adjustment and never even got a reply. Crappy customer service, but no shock there. I only very rarely order from them anyway, since I don't have a B&M near me and getting one of their sale products while it is still available for shipping is like picking a winning lottery number. Anyway, I ended up refusing the package (USPS), but Fry's said that they never received the return. After trying to resolve it with Fry's, I contacted Barclay's dispute dept. (with trepidation, since I had dealt with them before). Sure enough, I was told that they could only process a dispute arising from a lost refused shipment "if the seller provided them with an acknowledgement of receipt of the returned package". Heh.
Since it's not my first rodeo, I had personally taken the refused package to my local post office and obtained a receipt documenting that I had sent the unopened package back, so I'll ultimately get my money back via a lost package claim, but that was my last dance with Barclay's.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015