• filter:
  • 123 4 523
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Does anyone know - the $500 limit applies for calendar month or for statement period?

rated:
kintro said:   
Even if Amazon isn't coded as a bookstore, it's easy enough to buy their GC's at the groc store for the 5%. Once redeemed, use Amazon balance on shopping portal like US Air or Hawaiian to collect a few airline miles. This method is a little bothersome but it does yield slightly better rewards for mile addicts.

I disagree. There are other stuffs to spend the $500 grocery limit. And buying stuffs with GC gives you nowhere as good a protection as credit card.

rated:
JiGGiE said:   Frolet said:   Approved, 798 TransUnion (based on the letter they sent, they only used TU). They gave me a 15k limit.

Ditto, but only got a 7k limit. I think the limit is more based off the HHI. Did you put down a 6 figure digit?

I put down 6 figs and got 8k, but i have some inquiries and TU was only 750ish.

rated:
I got approved, my credit limit is 13k. My TU score was 830.

rated:
<CSB>
Applied 11/1 with 119k HHI, 755 CKarma score, received call-in message on website.
Called in 11/2 and was told it moved on to the second department, all was well. i.e. I didn't need to call in. So why plaster that on everyone's app result??
Received call at work 11/8am asking me to confirm demographics, AU details, then said I was approved and welcome package in 7-10 days. Could not tell me my CL, lastly asked my motivation in applying - said Cash Rewards for EDP.
Then, seeing as this thread spurred me to be cautious with this issuer, I went and applied for the Cap One 1.5% card and got approved immediately for $7500. Watch that one arrive first.
</CSB>

rated:
Anyone know how to make online payments on the website?

rated:
Data point:

Applied today at 11am and requested a free card for my spouse. Answered automated questions regarding credit report history (ie mortgage, auto loan, etc). Got the final message screen telling me to call an 866 number with an application reference number. Spoke to a guy named Dan. Gave him my reference number. He looked at my application and said he'd process my application to the next stage. Told me I was approved and will receive my card in 10-20 business days. Confirmed the rewards benefits (ie 5% gas, grocery, etc) and promo bonus ($100 if spend $500 within first 90days). Pretty simple. Hopefully redeeming the rewards will be just as easy online once I start using the card. We'll see.

G'luck everyone!

rated:
brandon032586, it's pretty easy. Their website is very minimal. There's a tab that says "Payments" with an orange arrow pointing down. From there, there are three options: "Online Payment", "Schedule Auto-Pay", and "Payment History".

I pretty much had the same experience everyone else did. Took a while to get the card, had to jump through some hoops, but I'm an academic. Books, gas, and groceries are things I buy all the freakin' time (I swear, I can't escape a B&M Barnes & Noble at under $50). This card was like catnip.

rated:
thised1 said:   Does anyone know - the $500 limit applies for calendar month or for statement period?

Statement

rated:
Has anyone found out how they validate books? I would like to buy some ebooks online from the Baen website.

rated:
RWAnderson72 said:   brandon032586, it's pretty easy. Their website is very minimal. There's a tab that says "Payments" with an orange arrow pointing down. From there, there are three options: "Online Payment", "Schedule Auto-Pay", and "Payment History".

I pretty much had the same experience everyone else did. Took a while to get the card, had to jump through some hoops, but I'm an academic. Books, gas, and groceries are things I buy all the freakin' time (I swear, I can't escape a B&M Barnes & Noble at under $50). This card was like catnip.

I don't have that tab, I guess I should call them. Maybe it does not show up until you get your first statement?

rated:
I haven't gotten my first statement yet.

There's a blue bar at the very top, above the large phrase "Account Summary" and under the "SallieMae" logo. It includes "Account Summary", "Transaction History", "Statements", "Account Info", "Payments", "Services", and "Rewards". Each of those has an orange arrow pointing down in front of the word.

My problem is getting Bank of America's "My Portfolio" to register the account correctly. For reasons I cannot even begin explain, it's linking my Chase cards (Freedom & Amazon) instead, and the "Go to Site" link has forwarded me to FirstUSA, Elan, and (today) SallieMae. It's not a huge deal, but I'd like to have it list correctly in "My Portfolio" so I see it every time I log in.

rated:
Statement cut today, $100 showed up in the rewards section. Used Amazon to charge the $500 minimum.

rated:
did Amazon come up as 1% or 5% because it counts as books like with citi forward?

rated:
Clarification: I used Amazon payments, for the $500. I got 1%

rated:
To all those worried about being approved or not, here's another data point. I spoke today with a credit rep--he basically went down the list of my income (from only one job, he wouldn't consider other income for some reason), balances in accounts, outstanding loans and revolving credit balances to see "if I could pay everything back." He also asked what I would be paid upon graduating (but didn't use that however). To be honest, they're really just curious if you're a deadbeat in some form or fashion.

If you can pay everything back (according to them), they issue the card, if you can't, they don't issue the card. Sounds like these guys should've been looking at mortgage applications 10 years back

rated:
I got my first monthly statement. I used the card at WalMart, for gas, and at Amazon. It looks like I got 5% for all of those. Wow.

rated:
finally got my card today. just a plain blue card, nothing special. set-up online access and it all seems solid. no complaints. i'm a rewards card whore and 5% seems fine to me for gas/groceries and books. i mentioned in my initial post CL of 15k with TU score of i think 780 at the time and HHI of 120k. i called and tried for their 2% siggy card, but the lady said i might be at my max for a new customer so to not try for that until the 6mo period. i would press my luck right now with my 0% util and scores, but i have about 10 new tradelines in 2011 so there's no reason to press my luck.

rated:
Something very suspicious here. Application needed "further information" on clean credit report. 2 weeks later the Fraud Department (!) sent e-mail asking me to call with further personal details which were not specified. Reply to this e-mail was "undeliverable." Am a banking regulatory economist and never encountered anything similar in 40 years of credit application. Needless to say not proceeding further.

rated:
snork615 said:   Something very suspicious here. Application needed "further information" on clean credit report. 2 weeks later the Fraud Department (!) sent e-mail asking me to call with further personal details which were not specified. Reply to this e-mail was "undeliverable." Am a banking regulatory economist and never encountered anything similar in 40 years of credit application. Needless to say not proceeding further.

maybe you should call, instead of email, like they asked

rated:
DrXX said:   I got my first monthly statement. I used the card at WalMart, for gas, and at Amazon. It looks like I got 5% for all of those. Wow.

This is very exciting, 5% Cash Back at Amazon is awesome. Thanks for the info.

rated:
I think that I'm going for this one myself. Given my spend habits, the $500/month cap on groceries should be fine. I've already got the Ft Knox CU card for 5% gas.

rated:
Got my card (5% for groceries, gas, books; 1% for everything else) today after several steps similar to the others [phone calls from two different departments to check 1.)financial situation and 2.) idendity/fraud] all handled by competent people. Data point: my TU score: 709 - they care more about each entry in your report than about the score. The internet page for the account is minimal, however, contains everything I prefer to have including simple setup for automatic payment of the full balance at the due date and listing of preliminary purchases [with time stamp - nice]. Looks like a very nice rewards card, however, 3% forex fee and small set of benefits [but still the important ones for me: Identity theft, Purchase security, rental CDW, road side assistant with fee]. I am happy...

rated:
jgh12 said:   Data point:

Applied today at 11am and requested a free card for my spouse. Answered automated questions regarding credit report history (ie mortgage, auto loan, etc). Got the final message screen telling me to call an 866 number with an application reference number. Spoke to a guy named Dan. Gave him my reference number. He looked at my application and said he'd process my application to the next stage. Told me I was approved and will receive my card in 10-20 business days. Confirmed the rewards benefits (ie 5% gas, grocery, etc) and promo bonus ($100 if spend $500 within first 90days). Pretty simple. Hopefully redeeming the rewards will be just as easy online once I start using the card. We'll see.

G'luck everyone!

Update:
11/8 - applied and called the 866 for approval
11/11 - security department called me to confirm my DOB and my authorized user's name
11/19 - cards arrived in the mail for me and my authorized user

Question:
I received my card and a card for my wife, however, the two account numbers are different. This is the first time where I've gotten a card for an authorized user with a different account number. Does anyone have insights into this? Thanks!

rated:
jgh12 said:   jgh12 said:   
Question:
I received my card and a card for my wife, however, the two account numbers are different. This is the first time where I've gotten a card for an authorized user with a different account number. Does anyone have insights into this? Thanks!

Eh, I took notice of that as well, but neglected to ask about it. As long as purchases all rollup to the one account I see when I login, whatever.
I did find it odd the automated card activation didn't specifically mention my AU card, so I called a 2nd time to activate that one. After entering the 16 digit #, it kicked me out to a rep, who didn't address my quizzical "I'd have thought it'd have mentioned/activated this card the first time", asked slightly fewer questions than the automated system had, and said this card was now active.

Haven't used the card yet; hopefully I'm done with shenanigans with this card.

rated:
jgh12 said:   Question: I received my card and a card for my wife, however, the two account numbers are different. This is the first time where I've gotten a card for an authorized user with a different account number. Does anyone have insights into this? Thanks!Probably related to your question:
I realized a different account number for payments in my online account than my credit card number and called them about this issue. Answer: That is usual - the account number for payments is different from the credit card number but still user-specific.
My conclusion: It seems that Sallie Mae uses for each function of a credit card a separate account number.

rated:
Nice! Just got my first statement. Used the card a few times a WalMart along with other Gas and Grocery purchases, and got 5% rewards on everything. Looks like Amazon is also good for 5% from what others are saying. Very good deal.

rated:
showed up today on my credit monitor - actually different:
Equifax Type: FINANCE - Miscellaneous
Experian Type: EDUCATION - Student Loans

...weird nothing yet on TransUnion since that one took the hard inquiry.
anyone else?

rated:
when i get a new cc i always do a $1 payment on it from my bank to make sure everything is set up properly and working.

i've never had an issue with this tactic. yet with sallie mae it cleared wells fargo on the 16th and hasn't shown up on sallie mae online accounts page. i double checked the credit card number and everything seems to be accurate within the wells fargo billpay.

anyone else had problems paying this card pushing from their bank acct rather than entering that information on the sallie mae payments page and pulling it in?

rated:
Did anyone set up the sallie mae credit card correctly in Quicken?
I answered three security question and they asked for the fourth one for verification. And the fourth one is empty!!!!

rated:
You can now update Sallie Mae credit card on Yodlee

rated:
JuliusGaius said:   When someone gets their card and disclosure in the mail, could you describe the other perks of the card? i.e. price protection, return protection, etc. (if any of those perks) Or you can list the perks that the card does or doesn't have.

Summary of the benefits:

Personal Idendity Theft

The Personal Idendity Theft offers reimbursment of covered expenses you incur to restore your idendity, up to a maximum of $1,000.

Purchase Security protection

Within the first ninety (90) days of the date of purchase Purchase Security will, at the Benefit Administrator's discretion, replace, repair, or reimburse you for eligible items of personal property purchased entirely with your card up to a maximum of $1,000 per claim and $50,000 per cardholder in the event of theft or damage.

Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver

Subject to the terms and conditions in this Guide to Benefit, if you do not have personal automobile insurance or any other insurance covering this theft or damage, this benefit reimburses you for the covered theft or damage as well as valid administrative and loss-of-use charges imposed by the auto rental company and reasonable towing charges that occur while you are responsible for the rental vehicle. If you have personal automobile insurance or other insurance covering this theft or damage, the Visa Auto Rental CDW benefit reimburses you for the deductible portion of your personal automobile insurance and any unreimbursed portion of, valid administrative and loss-of-use charges imposed by the rental car company, as well as reasonable towing charges resulting from covered theft or damage of the rental vehicle while it is your responsibility. Only vehicle rental periods that neither exceed nor are intended to exceed fifteen (15) consecutive days within your country of residence or thirty-one (31) consecutive days outside your country of residence are covered.
The benefit provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle as it was originally manufactured. Most private passenger automobiles, minivans, and sport utility vehicles are eligible, but some restrictions may apply. Please contact the Benefit Administrator to inquire about a specific vehicle.
Within your country of residence, this benefit supplements, and applies excess of, any valid and collectible insurance or reimbursement from any source. This means that, subject to the terms and conditions of this Guide to Benefit, Visa Auto Rental CDW applies to eligible theft or damage or expenses that are not covered by insurance or reimbursement.
The benefit covers:
Physical damage and/or theft of the covered rental vehicle.
Valid loss-of-use charges imposed and substantiated by the auto rental company through a fleet utilization log.
Reasonable and customary towing charges, due to covered theft or damage loss, to the nearest qualified repair facility.

Roadside Dispatch

Gain access to 24-hour, toll-free referral dispatch for emergency roadside assistance services like towing, fuel delivery, and more. Cardholders are responsible for service fees.
1-800-VISA-TOW connects you to the Roadside Dispatch service.
Applies to rental cars as well as your own motor vehicle.
Services included in a $59.95 per service call include:
Towing* (up to five miles included).
Tire changing (must have good, inflated spare).
Jump-starting (battery boost).
Lockout service (no key replacement).
Fuel delivery (up to five gallons and the cost of fuel not included).
Winching** (within 100 feet of paved or county maintained road only).

rated:
mkatzpp said:   when i get a new cc i always do a $1 payment on it from my bank to make sure everything is set up properly and working.

i've never had an issue with this tactic. yet with sallie mae it cleared wells fargo on the 16th and hasn't shown up on sallie mae online accounts page. i double checked the credit card number and everything seems to be accurate within the wells fargo billpay.

anyone else had problems paying this card pushing from their bank acct rather than entering that information on the sallie mae payments page and pulling it in?

I am convinced you have to use another account number for pushing payments from an external account to your credit card account. You can get this account number likely only via a phone call. See:

NewFarmBoy said:   
I realized a different account number for automatic payments in my online account than my credit card number and called them about this issue. Answer: That is usual - the account number for payments is different from the credit card number but still user-specific.
My conclusion: It seems that Sallie Mae uses for each function of a credit card a separate account number.

rated:
Do all Amazon purchases qualify for the 5% or just books purchased from Amazon?

rated:
is the deal still alive? It looks its website change it to 3% Cash Back and 50 dollars back after purchases

rated:
rockmeifyoucan said:   is the deal still alive? It looks its website change it to 3% Cash Back and 50 dollars back after purchases
The offer is still alive, see

http://www.salliemae.com/5percent

The terms are unchanged including the 5% CashBack for groceries, gas, and books; and $100 bonus after $500 purchases in first 90 days.

Good luck.

rated:
thank you.

rated:
Applied, got the call with a billion questions, now awaiting the card so I can get my 20% rebate.

rated:
Can anyone confirm the 5% Cash Back from purchases made at Amazon? Is it only for books? Or for other purchases? How would they know what you bought at Amazon?

rated:
For those who have received this card, is it a Signature Visa?

Signature cards officially have no-preset spending limit and some card issuers don't report your credit limit to the credit agencies.

I'm wondering if the credit limit for this card will show up on your credit report.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014