• filter:
  • 115 16 17181923
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
all of my Amazon purchases from various sellers have gave my 5% on this card

rated:
So does Amazon count for 5% with this card?

rated:
Nope. none of my Amazon purchases from various seller have gave me 5%

rated:
chimmy826 said:   I'm not quite understanding the bonus offer. I'm already getting 5X for gas on up to $250 of purchases per cycle. This bonus offer is up to $500 of purchases, including gas. Therefore, am I getting 10X on my first $250 of gas purchases in April-June and then 5X on anything over my initial $250. Confused!!

What's not to understand? You get 5% on the first $500 you spend for the quarter, and 5% on the first $250 you spend each statement period.

Let's say you spend $280 per month in gas, and for simplicity, we'll say your statement closes the last day of the month. In March, you'd get 10% on the first $250, then 5% on the next $30 (you'd have reached the 5% monthly maximum but still going on the quarterly bonus). In April, you'd get 10% on the first $220, 5% on the next $30 (you'd have met the quarterly bonus maximum but have $30 left on the monthly maximum), then 1% on the remaining $30. In May, you'd get 5% on the first $250 and 1% on the rest.

Chris.

rated:
nwill002 said:   all of my Amazon purchases from various sellers have gave my 5% on this card

nwill002 said:   Nope. none of my Amazon purchases from various seller have gave me 5%

I think some senior member needs to take his meds.

Chris.

[edit] nwill002, I see you gave me red. Can you explain why your two posts aren't 100% contradictory? That unspoken question was the point of my post.

rated:
cpaynter said:   chimmy826 said:   I'm not quite understanding the bonus offer. I'm already getting 5X for gas on up to $250 of purchases per cycle. This bonus offer is up to $500 of purchases, including gas. Therefore, am I getting 10X on my first $250 of gas purchases in April-June and then 5X on anything over my initial $250. Confused!!

What's not to understand? You get 5% on the first $500 you spend for the quarter, and 5% on the first $250 you spend each statement period.

Let's say you spend $280 per month in gas, and for simplicity, we'll say your statement closes the last day of the month. In March, you'd get 10% on the first $250, then 5% on the next $30 (you'd have reached the 5% monthly maximum but still going on the quarterly bonus). In April, you'd get 10% on the first $220, 5% on the next $30 (you'd have met the quarterly bonus maximum but have $30 left on the monthly maximum), then 1% on the remaining $30. In May, you'd get 5% on the first $250 and 1% on the rest.

Chris.

Well I guess in my history of credit card deals, I've never seen a company give a double bonus. I'm already getting 5% on gas and utilize it every month. It's a perk for everyone with this card. So why would they include it in a quarterly bonus? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Trust me, I hope it works out the way you mentioned, but it's just something I've never seen before.

rated:
chimmy826 said:   cpaynter said:   chimmy826 said:   I'm not quite understanding the bonus offer. I'm already getting 5X for gas on up to $250 of purchases per cycle. This bonus offer is up to $500 of purchases, including gas. Therefore, am I getting 10X on my first $250 of gas purchases in April-June and then 5X on anything over my initial $250. Confused!!

Chris.

Well I guess in my history of credit card deals, I've never seen a company give a double bonus. I'm already getting 5% on gas and utilize it every month. It's a perk for everyone with this card. So why would they include it in a quarterly bonus? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Trust me, I hope it works out the way you mentioned, but it's just something I've never seen before.

I didn't get the deal on my Sallie Mae card so I can't vouch to the exact language, but on my NFL card offer, it specifically noted that the 5% bonus was on top of the usual rewards. This is consistent with deals I've gotten from other issuers, for example BofA, I've gotten an additional 5% on Gas/Grocery/Drug/Restaurant on my CashRewards card, thus making it 8%/7%/6%/6%. On Freedom and Discover, the regular quarterly categories replace the usual rewards. But when, for example, Chase was running 5% on Department Stores, plus a special 5% on Kohl's, they stacked to 10% on Kohl's (15% total when you stack the UR shopping mall). And when Discover has run the occasional 2% holiday specials, I've gotten 5%+2%=7% on the quarterly categories (though on non-category purchases, the 2% replaced the default .25%-1%).

Chris.

rated:
Sorry for the n00b question, but is the $100 sign-on bonus still alive at all? The link of the OP is dead and the thread summary doesn't mention if it's dead or alive.

Thanks!

rated:
freeka said:   vagrants said:   I received the 10% annual match on the UPromise purchases I made last year (excluding redemptions from the Barclay since my redemptions are just sitting around like others experiencing). The 10% annual match is apparently considered as "interest paid" instead of the CB bonus.Interest paid means it is reported on a 1099-INT?

The 10% bonus I received was added to "Interest YTD" on my High-Yield Savings account, so I assume the 10% bonus will be reported on the 1099-INT for the year 2013. It'll have to be next year before I can confirm.

justignoredem said:   Sorry for the n00b question, but is the $100 sign-on bonus still alive at all? The link of the OP is dead and the thread summary doesn't mention if it's dead or alive.

Thanks!

If you go to the application site, it tells you $25 sign-up bonus. So $100 is dead for now. $25 seems to be the standard sign-up bonus with Sallie Mae brand cards (UPromise Mastercard). Last Feb, the sign-up bonus at least for the UPromise MC was temporarily increased to $100.

rated:
So I just got a mailer from Barclay about a quarterly bonus for spending. They talk about earning 2 points per dollar on gas. So from what others are saying, this will be in addition to the 5% rewards? I was worried that this was them doing away with the 5% back.

rated:
I got one for 5000 bonus points for spending $750/month in April, May, and June which works out to an extra 2.2%.

rated:
cpaynter said:   nwill002 said:   all of my Amazon purchases from various sellers have gave my 5% on this card
nwill002 said:   Nope. none of my Amazon purchases from various seller have gave me 5%

Chris.

[edit] nwill002, I see you gave me red. Can you explain why your two posts aren't 100% contradictory? That unspoken question was the point of my post.

If he made zero Amazon purchases then both statements are true.

rated:
I'm still confused,, so do we get 5% for Amazon or not? lol

rated:
kaveh2k said:   I'm still confused,, so do we get 5% for Amazon or not? lol

I believe it's a mixed bag with Amazon. I've made 2 purchases from Amazon (one direct from Amazon, the other third party seller but fulfilled by Amazon) both gave me 5%. I made a payment with AmazonPayments and only received 1% (as expected). I plan to use this card for all Amazon and Fulfilled by Amazon purchases and use my Chase Amazon Visa (3% back) for all other Amazon transactions.

rated:
mihiker said:   kaveh2k said:   I'm still confused,, so do we get 5% for Amazon or not? lol

I believe it's a mixed bag with Amazon. I've made 2 purchases from Amazon (one direct from Amazon, the other third party seller but fulfilled by Amazon) both gave me 5%. I made a payment with AmazonPayments and only received 1% (as expected). I plan to use this card for all Amazon and Fulfilled by Amazon purchases and use my Chase Amazon Visa (3% back) for all other Amazon transactions.

Same here. I get 5% for purchases through Amazon, but only the 1% for Amazon Payments.

rated:
kaveh2k said:   I'm still confused,, so do we get 5% for Amazon or not? lol

If you buy directly from Amazon or Fulfilled by Amazon, 5%. Amazon Marketplace merchants, may or may not be 5%.

rated:
cpaynter said:   nwill002 said:   all of my Amazon purchases from various sellers have gave my 5% on this card

Chris.

i thought it was pretty obvious i was pointing out the irony of the guy asking about Amazon purchases when the post right before that by me gives a data point of Amazon working for 5%

rated:
nwill002 said:   cpaynter said:   nwill002 said:   all of my Amazon purchases from various sellers have gave my 5% on this card

Chris.

i thought it was pretty obvious i was pointing out the irony of the guy asking about Amazon purchases when the post right before that by me gives a data point of Amazon working for 5%

Ah, my irony meter is broken, apparently.

Chris.

rated:
Anyone else get anything in the mail stating their card may have been compromised and that theyre sending a new one?

rated:
DrXX said:   My transfer to upromise dated Nov.19 still shows as pending.The Cash Back eventually made it to the bank.

rated:
DrXX said:   DrXX said:   My transfer to upromise dated Nov.19 still shows as pending.The Cash Back eventually made it to the bank.

Congra. Finally! My second redemption took less time than the first, but I assume each redemption has separate processing time.

rated:
For 3rd party purchases on Amazon, why not buy a gift card with the Sallie Mae card for whatever the cost of the item is and use that instead. You will forgo any credit card benefits/protection (but I'm not sure if the Sallie Mae has any). Last time I checked, you could use Amazon gift cards on 3rd parties and I just bought a 1 dollar gift card and I see 5 reward points on my account.

rated:
AlphabetBackward said:   For 3rd party purchases on Amazon, why not buy a gift card with the Sallie Mae card for whatever the cost of the item is and use that instead. You will forgo any credit card benefits/protection (but I'm not sure if the Sallie Mae has any). Last time I checked, you could use Amazon gift cards on 3rd parties and I just bought a 1 dollar gift card and I see 5 reward points on my account.

Good trick! I don't buy stuffs from Amazon usually...less than once a month and less than $50/purchase, so I didn't wanna mess with CC -> GC -> purchase. I was planning on using this trick depending upon the purchase price. Losing the CC protection for the large purchase price is no for me.

rated:
AlphabetBackward said:   For 3rd party purchases on Amazon, why not buy a gift card with the Sallie Mae card for whatever the cost of the item is and use that instead. You will forgo any credit card benefits/protection (but I'm not sure if the Sallie Mae has any). Last time I checked, you could use Amazon gift cards on 3rd parties and I just bought a 1 dollar gift card and I see 5 reward points on my account.

This is brilliant. I've gotta try this.

rated:
sosabe77 said:   AlphabetBackward said:   For 3rd party purchases on Amazon, why not buy a gift card with the Sallie Mae card for whatever the cost of the item is and use that instead. You will forgo any credit card benefits/protection (but I'm not sure if the Sallie Mae has any). Last time I checked, you could use Amazon gift cards on 3rd parties and I just bought a 1 dollar gift card and I see 5 reward points on my account.

Brilliant? This is old news. Check the heavy hitters thread. Been doing this for years. Time to find out which bookstores near you sell GC's.

More importantly, A-Z payments does NOT qualify for 5%, as per my latest statement.

rated:
HawkeyeNFO said:   sosabe77 said:   AlphabetBackward said:   For 3rd party purchases on Amazon, why not buy a gift card with the Sallie Mae card for whatever the cost of the item is and use that instead. You will forgo any credit card benefits/protection (but I'm not sure if the Sallie Mae has any). Last time I checked, you could use Amazon gift cards on 3rd parties and I just bought a 1 dollar gift card and I see 5 reward points on my account.

Brilliant? This is old news. Check the heavy hitters thread. Been doing this for years. Time to find out which bookstores near you sell GC's.

More importantly, A-Z payments does NOT qualify for 5%, as per my latest statement.

The bold is old news also. Been known for years.

rated:
I did two Amazon merchant purchases last week and both were 5%. I just got my card so I think, though, that I missed out on that bonus. I haven't heard anything about it.

rated:
(double post)

rated:
fyi about the 5% CashBack on restaurant, gas station or home improvement store purchases for 2nd quarter:
All Bonus Rewards will be awarded to your account 6 to 8 weeks after the promotion ends.

just got my bill and didnt see anything for restaurants for april. had to double check the promo.
i missed this detail.

rated:
So out of curiousity, why does everyone choose to redeem to Upromise vs say a statement credit? Is there a benefit to using UPromise account?

rated:
cdancer20 said:   So out of curiousity, why does everyone choose to redeem to Upromise vs say a statement credit? Is there a benefit to using UPromise account?

10% bonus for the Sallie HYS. I believe 10% bonus will be taxed on your HYS (included in 1099-INT) and it may or may not put you in a higher tax bracket. That's about it.

rated:
vagrants said:   cdancer20 said:   So out of curiousity, why does everyone choose to redeem to Upromise vs say a statement credit? Is there a benefit to using UPromise account?

10% bonus for the Sallie HYS. I believe 10% bonus will be taxed on your HYS (included in 1099-INT) and it may or may not put you in a higher tax bracket. That's about it.
Has anyone confirmed that this redemption is included in that 10% bonus?

rated:
cdancer20 said:   vagrants said:   cdancer20 said:   So out of curiousity, why does everyone choose to redeem to Upromise vs say a statement credit? Is there a benefit to using UPromise account?

Has anyone confirmed that this redemption is included in that 10% bonus?

Not sure what you are asking, but you can call and ask UPromise or utilize UPromise forum. I already gave you my info from my experience. Now it's your turn to pay it back. If somebody finds contrary to my experience, I'll make an argument with UPromise.

By the way, unlike other banks (Chase, BoA, US Bank, etc), 10% bonus is paid to a savings account instead of a checking account. That may have something to do with it.

rated:
Few questions regarding the application requirements:

It says the card is for "US citizen and PR only". Does PR mean puerto rico or Permanent Resident?

If you are not US citizen/PR, does it mean your application will be denied?

On the application page, when I check "No", it gives me a drop-down list of countries. If permanent residents are allowed to apply for the card, how do I prove my immigration status?

rated:
cdancer20 said:   Has anyone confirmed that this redemption is included in that 10% bonus?We will see in 2014.

rated:
punktux9039 said:   Few questions regarding the application requirements:
It says the card is for "US citizen and PR only". Does PR mean puerto rico or Permanent Resident?
On the application page, when I check "No", it gives me a drop-down list of countries. If permanent residents are allowed to apply for the card, how do I prove my immigration status?
In the application form is written: "Citizenship: * You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to apply."
The status gets proven by requesting copies of documents by fax (or mail).

rated:
NewFarmBoy said:   punktux9039 said:   Few questions regarding the application requirements:
In the application form is written: "Citizenship: * You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to apply."
The status gets proven by requesting copies of documents by fax (or mail).

thanks!

rated:
Did anyone try to pay Sallie card statement from BlueBird card? If so, how did you set up the payee? I tried SallieMae but it said either account number or zip code is incorrect. They don't recognize Barclay's either.

rated:
prikindel said:   Did anyone try to pay Sallie card statement from BlueBird card? If so, how did you set up the payee? I tried SallieMae but it said either account number or zip code is incorrect. They don't recognize Barclay's either.

BARCLAYS BANK DELAWARE

Can anyone elaborate to me on how do you get the UPromise 10% bonus? I currently have this card. My understanding is that one needs to open an UPromise account and a HYS account. Then redeem the Cash Back to the UPromise account and transfer that to the HYS account. The bonus is 10% of this transferred amount. Is that correct? Sorry if this has been discussed but the wording on their website is a bit confusing to me: "Upromise will match 10% of your Upromise earnings posted as "funded" to your Upromise Account during each calendar year". TIA

rated:
You open a HYS account at Sallie Mae, maintain a high balance or auto transfer at least $25 a month for one year and at the end of the year they will match 10% of your redemption from Upromise. According to some on this forum, the 10% match is reported on your 1099INT.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014