• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Citigold requite $50,000 minimum balance to avoid $30/month fee. What are the current/upcoming benifits of having/maintaining a Citigold reltionship? They don't reimburse ATM fees, they are cancelling the AAdvatnage Debit Card ($65 annual fee was waived before), etc etc.

What is the best alternative?

Thanks,
Tintin

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Half price wire transfers, $12.50 instead of $25. Free checks. Better than nothing, but really only as a ~0% interest cash account.

Citigold is a waste of time and money.

When they used to waive overseas ATM and forex charges it could be sort of be justified.

I closed mine.

By the way, my local Citi branch had a "secret" (not available online) checking account option to get basic checking at no monthly fee and no minimum balance when I went in to close my account over the impending monthly fee changes. Even kept the same account number.

You do get free cashier's checks. For me, that's about the only benefit I see.

Doesn't CitiGold provide fee waivers for credit cards? The Citigold website has a footnote about credit card fee waivers, although I do not see the benefit listed in the main body of the page.

You also get more Thank You points each month. It is easy to get 1300 points/month (vs 925/month with a regular account), which equals over $200 a year when redeemed for airline tickets (1.33cents/point).

IMHO, anyone who is paying a Citi annual fee is silly. Either close the account when the fee comes due or call up and ask for a waiver.

As to getting 200 bucks worth of TU points, I personally found the TUs rather hard to get rid off, and certainly 200 dollars "worth" of them is not something I am willing to tie up $50K for essentially no interest in a Citi account.

I want to believe there is something of real value for Citigold account holders, but, darn it if I can find it.

xerty said:   Half price wire transfers, $12.50 instead of $25. Free checks. Better than nothing, but really only as a ~0% interest cash account.

Online initiated wire transfers are free.
ATM charges are reimbursed (> $250K in combined balances).
No ATM and forex fees for international ATM withdrawals.

I hear when you go overseas they treat you real nice... Just not in the U.S. branches.

Yes, dedicated floor for citigold, and you arrive in a seating area. You will be served drinks. You will meet with your banker 1-1 in a private room.

MrKlick said:   IMHO, anyone who is paying a Citi annual fee is silly. Either close the account when the fee comes due or call up and ask for a waiver.

As to getting 200 bucks worth of TU points, I personally found the TUs rather hard to get rid off, and certainly 200 dollars "worth" of them is not something I am willing to tie up $50K for essentially no interest in a Citi account.

I want to believe there is something of real value for Citigold account holders, but, darn it if I can find it.

If you travel enough, dollars for airfare are "worth" about as much as regular dollars. It is extremely easy to get rid of TYPs for travel, since you can buy almost any ticket (other than Southwest). But I do agree that it would not make sense to tie up 50k just for the extra monthly TYPs. If you take advantage of credit card fee waivers (ie AAdvantage and Premiere), 0% foreign transaction fees, and a few other benefits, CitiGold could be worth it to some. Also, some people here have a Citi Private Bank account for law firm associates/partners, which provides CitiGold plus extra benefits and has no minimum balance requirements.

Zaos said:   Yes, dedicated floor for citigold, and you arrive in a seating area. You will be served drinks. You will meet with your banker 1-1 in a private room.
Where is this ?

I just became citigold

ajh5408 said:   I hear when you go overseas they treat you real nice... Just not in the U.S. branches.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Zaos said:   Yes, dedicated floor for citigold, and you arrive in a seating area. You will be served drinks. You will meet with your banker 1-1 in a private room.
Where is this ?

I just became citigold

Sorry, I was replying to the poster above me about overseas. I know in Asia they do that. Ask your RM about CitiGold centers. Not all branches have the facilities, of course. A press release I found with pics of a small citigold center: http://php.guampdn.com/sites/citibank/pg3.html

The HSBC counterpart is the Premier Center, they have a few pics in their flash video: http://www.hsbcpremier.com/1/2/hsbcpremier/en/experience/premier...

I know HSBC will help get you set up foreign checking accounts, debit and credit cards with a usable limit, without having any credit history (meant for relocation/expat). I *think* citi does that too, with credit history transfer. If you need to transact in the foreign currency, opening an account in that country is probably superior to a foreign currency denominated account locally, particularly in fees, rates, service.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014