• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
My Citi AA renewal was a few days ago and when I tried to cancel it, CS issued me a refund for the annual fee in order to keep it ($85).
So, I agreed. However, I have no intentions to keep it after the second year if I am charged a fee again. The credit limit is $10K.

I also have another citi card with a 6K credit limit.

The question is:
a) Should I move the credit limit from my AA to the other Citi card and then cancel it now and take a hit on my credit and wait a few months before applying for another Citi promo in the near future, or
b) Should I keep the card and continue earning AA points and wait to see what my options are when I renew again.

I am not sure if Citi AA are churnable...

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Ask Citi if you can convert it into a different Citi card that has no fee. That way you keep the credit limit and the history.

jomarrod said:   My Citi AA renewal was a few days ago and when I tried to cancel it, CS issued me a refund for the annual fee in order to keep it ($85).
So, I agreed. However, I have no intentions to keep it after the second year if I am charged a fee again. The credit limit is $10K.

I also have another citi card with a 6K credit limit.

The question is:
a) Should I move the credit limit from my AA to the other Citi card and then cancel it now and take a hit on my credit and wait a few months before applying for another Citi promo in the near future, or
b) Should I keep the card and continue earning AA points and wait to see what my options are when I renew again.

I am not sure if Citi AA are churnable...

Keep it till next year and try to close it again. If they keep waiving the fee or give other bonus then keep it. Otherwise, you can convert the Personal AA Visa to AA Bronze MasterCard and the Business AA Visa to ATT Business Rewards Visa. In any case, keep the CL open so you can reallocate in future when applying for new Citi Cards.

if you cancel\convert to bronze now and are within 42 days of being charged fee you can pocket the $85 as af will be refunded again

OP, on Nov 14th, I was offered "a credit of the $85 fee if I did 5 purchases on the card (any amount) during the next 3 months".
So, the offer you got seems better than mine.
Keep the card for now and enjoy the AA points earning. The bronze versions give only 1 AA mile for every $2 spend.

OP, were you given the offer by retentions or by the first Cust Service person?

motsuka said:   if you cancelconvert to bronze now and are within 42 days of being charged fee you can pocket the $85 as af will be refunded again

My anniversary was 30 days ago. Does it mean it is too late to cancel and pocket the $85?

FW10001 said:   OP, were you given the offer by retentions or by the first Cust Service person?

I was offered it back in July by retentions. My anniversary was last month

IMHO, you should apply for a couple (at least) of other cards with big bonuses and can the annual fee card--take a look at Chase Sapphire Preferred. In the bizzaro world of consumer banking customer loyalty is to be punished while the disloyal reap lots of bonuses.

MrKlick said:   In the bizzaro world of consumer banking customer loyalty is to be punished while the disloyal reap lots of bonuses.

Truest quote I've read in these last two hours of web-browsing boredom.

@BradisBrad yes that quote maybe true, but remember that at the end, good relationship and loyalty still counts more. Just like in the case of @jomarrod, Citi is waiving the annual fee to keep her as a client. That could be a start of a good relationship.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.