• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
So, this is a very classic case of hitting credit card spending limit for getting the sign up bonuses. Is it possible to buy visa or AMEX prepaid gift cards using a credit card (visa or AMEX)? I recently bought $500 WalMart Gift card (along with some grocery) and paid with my credit card (I shop in Sams Club, so will use it there). But if I can get Visa or AMEX prepaid gift cards, that would be great (and in my opinion as close to cash as possible). I tried searching the forum but could not find any discussion on this. Is there anything I am missing? Is there a catch?

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I believe you can purchase them. The only catch would be the activation fee of around $5 for each card.

pktiwary said:    Is there anything I am missing? Is there a catch?

Yes Mr. Tiwary you missed a whole bunch of threads where this gets discussed day in and day out.

But to reiterate yes you can buy pre-paid Visa, MC and AMEX with Credit Card.

In some stores this may be YMMV since the cashiers and or the register may act up.

But you would be able to find stores (including online ones) where you can buy GC with CC.

Just bought a 50$ Visa gift card at Target. No issue at all but a 5$ fee (I needed the gift card for a last minute present).

The trick is to find the places that sell the variable amount ones -- usually a CVS is where I find them.

The AMEX gift cards have a $5.95 activation fee, but they can be purchased for up to $500 in value (1.19% processing fee). If your rewards are better than that, than there is a small net gain.

The only problem is that the spread is usually so small that it's not worth doing; however, it may make sense in the case of needing to meet a minimum spend real quickly for a new card bonus (i.e. the Citi ThankYou Premier 80K points offer if you spend $5K in 3 months that DW received this week).

stanolshefski said:   The trick is to find the places that sell the variable amount ones -- usually a CVS is where I find them.

The AMEX gift cards have a $5.95 activation fee, but they can be purchased for up to $500 in value (1.19% processing fee). If your rewards are better than that, than there is a small net gain.

The only problem is that the spread is usually so small that it's not worth doing; however, it may make sense in the case of needing to meet a minimum spend real quickly for a new card bonus (i.e. the Citi ThankYou Premier 80K points offer if you spend $5K in 3 months that DW received this week).

Cvs is a Drugstore so if u have a 5% Drugstore card the reward is pretty good

Yes try my thread from last month
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1140079/

I've bought hundreds from Ralphs/Krogers, cost: $5.95 for a $500 card (AMEX, MC or Visa). Ralphs near me usually give 2% Cash Back and sometime 4% with their rewards programs. All SoCal grocery stores/pharmacies have some deal going right now on the cards.

I noticed 20500 cards at stop n shop yesterday. Good deal if you have the 6% AMEX card.

Most current rewards programs are department stores. Some sell giftcards including the AMEX, Vanilla Visa or MasterCard gift cards in denomination up to 200.00 per card. They do have a fee on each card. Office Depot and OfficeMax as well as your local grocery store owned by Kroger sell them and accept your credit card to do so. Most Kroger owned grocery and convience stores have a store rewards program in force now at double normal rewards. See if they have gas cards or restaurant that you are likely to use. No Fee.
I have purchased such cards as well as WalMart's own card with my credit card. WalMart's card had no fee to purchase the card as you now know. You may then purchase the other gift cards from a different clerk if the first one refused to sell you your desired gift card using your credit card. The cards that you indicate how much to load may be the better way to go fee wise. Ask at the store where you purchase them.

YMMV on this. I used to manage a drug store that shall remain nameless, and my store was in a pretty crappy neighborhood. We would only allow gift cards to be purchased with cash or debit only, because customers were rejecting the charge and cashing in the gift cards. So if you're going to do this, just don't go to a CVS/Walgreens/etc. in a crappy area.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014