• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Hi. Which banks offer free cashiers or bank checks in NYC Metro area or an online only bank?

Would a check submitted by a bank via online banking count as a cashiers or bank check?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
If you have a business account with Chase, they will upgrade your personal account to a Premier Checking account and wai... (more)

TheKa (Dec. 22, 2011 @ 7:53a) |

Then why did you start this thread if you already had the answer?

dcwilbur (Dec. 22, 2011 @ 3:44p) |

I didn't. Someone in here posted Ally as the answer.

grex23 (Dec. 23, 2011 @ 12:28a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

grex23 said:   Hi. Which banks offer free cashiers or bank checks?Any bank where you've banked for a long time, gone in on a regular basis, flirted with the cute tellers, been extra nice to everyone, and maintained a good relationship, will do this for you from time to time. Everyone wants to bank online and make deposits at the ATM, and then they complain that the bank doesn't value their "relationship." The secret is that those cute gals behind the teller counter are the ones that can waive that service charge or "forget" to put a hold on a deposit for you. It's for this reason that I always have a bank account near my office where I can go in and cash those little rebate checks or deposit that $10 check from Nana. Then when I really need something, there they are.

I believe one of my online banks issue bank drafts, but are these equivalent to certified or bank checks?

The other bank I would have to ask what the fees are for such but I honestly doubt they will waive them on my behalf.

I believe some premium accounts with certain banks do waive the fees but my bank doesn't seem to have any account offerings which waive them and its generally a better deal to get them seperately.

as for what counts, it depends on your counterparty. You should also keep in mind that almost nobody is going to accept a cashiers check same as cash. There has been an explosion in counterfeiting of bank checks in recent years. Might work for small transactions with people who don't know any better, like P2P auto transactions or maybe local Craigslist sellers.

grex23 said:   I believe one of my online banks issue bank drafts, but are these equivalent to certified or bank checks?Drafts are check like instruments that contain all the information a regular check would but instead of the signature use wording "This draft is authorized by your depositor" or something similar. They are neither bank checks which are the checks drawn on the account of the bank nor certified checks ( which i have not seen in years ) which are marked in a special way to indicate that the check is guaranteed to clear.

On the online-only bank front, Ally Bank has no fee for cashiers checks (just not sure how long they take to arrive by mail).

A bill pay check is not the same as a cashiers check. It's just a normal check issued by the bank or its payment processor. Cashiers checks have some special attributes, have limited ability to be cancelled, etc. which are not shared by a bill pay check.

TravelerMSY said:   as for what counts, it depends on your counterparty. You should also keep in mind that almost nobody is going to accept a cashiers check same as cash.Cashier's checks are different from certified checks.

Most of non-microscopically sized banks ( or credit unions ) have special procedures for validating and verifying certified and sometimes cashier's checks. It is typically done by filling out a special deposit ticket with the information from the check in addition to depositing the check itself. Provided the information from the check validated the funds from a check deposited in such manner can be available significantly sooner, typically the next business day.

dcwilbur said:   grex23 said:   Hi. Which banks offer free cashiers or bank checks?Any bank where you've banked for a long time, gone in on a regular basis, flirted with the cute tellers, been extra nice to everyone, and maintained a good relationship, will do this for you from time to time. Everyone wants to bank online and make deposits at the ATM, and then they complain that the bank doesn't value their "relationship." The secret is that those cute gals behind the teller counter are the ones that can waive that service charge or "forget" to put a hold on a deposit for you. It's for this reason that I always have a bank account near my office where I can go in and cash those little rebate checks or deposit that $10 check from Nana. Then when I really need something, there they are.
Not true. The system will not authorize tellers to waive fees without branch manager approvals. I used to be a teller.

The way you get these fees waived is like you said is through relationship. Most banks have in-branch relationship managers or "private bankers" that come with "premier" type accounts with qualifying balances. Those are the ones you need to have relationships with - they can waive fees and deposit stuff for you if you don't want to waste your time in line.

But ya, no online account will offer those products for free.

I just checked Ally and saw it had free cashiers checks but those would need to be mailed.

At my local bank I bet the fee is something like $10 or so. Money order would be the cheapest option locally.

It is true some tellers can waive fees at some banks. My own bank has a premium account option with free checks, but I don't believe it comes with free cashiers checks.

jkimcpa said:   Not true. The system will not authorize tellers to waive fees without branch manager approvals. I used to be a teller.It mostly depends on the bank platform. The vast majority of banks right now deploy platforms that separate the "teller side" from the "platform CS" side. "Teller" side simply has no ability to drill down to the CS options which are needed to issue credits against those fees.

Do you have a need for cashiers checks on a regular basis? If it's infrequent, then get a waiver, eat the cost or pay with cash. Even with my private bank account that gives free cashiers checks, I can't find a use for them.

I spoke with the bank, its $10.00 without waivers given. Ally would be the option but I hate opening up accounts just to waive fees. Ive had loads of accounts before for this reason.

jkimcpa said:   Not true. The system will not authorize tellers to waive fees without branch manager approvals. I used to be a teller.I used to be a teller too, and this is exactly how it worked. Still works today at the places where I bank. Maybe not all banks are using "the system" (as if there was just one)?

My advice still stands though. You aren't going to get special treatment if they don't even know who you are.

If you have Wells Fargo PMI, you can get free Cashier's check.

grex23 said:   Which banks offer free cashiers or bank checks in NYC Metro area or an online only bank?If Capital One does not do this, please tell them to do so.

dcwilbur said:   jkimcpa said:   Not true. The system will not authorize tellers to waive fees without branch manager approvals. I used to be a teller.I used to be a teller too, and this is exactly how it worked. Still works today at the places where I bank. Maybe not all banks are using "the system" (as if there was just one)?

My advice still stands though. You aren't going to get special treatment if they don't even know who you are.

I would assume all banks have the same standards where a teller does not have authority past $X level without approval and would be very surprised to see a bank that gives tellers fee waiver abilities. But then again I guess a small bank where the teller is really an assistant manager that may be the case.

But yes, even if you don't have a VIP sized deposit, being "known" to the branch personnel will definitely help waive those fees as long as they are not frequent.

Like Capital One would listen to me. Right. If they implemented it though they would force high interest accounts or lower my interest rates. So I don't want them to.

If I needed free checks I could use Ally no problem.

grex23 said:   Like Capital One would listen to me. Right. If they implemented it though they would force high interest accounts or lower my interest rates. So I don't want them to.

If I needed free checks I could use Ally no problem.

the words "Capital One" are showing up weird in your post. like it's subscripted and pushed halfway down the line. wonder if it's just me.

That is why some others misspell it on purpose. The system turns it into a link even though I just typed it out normally.

dcwilbur said:   jkimcpa said:   Not true. The system will not authorize tellers to waive fees without branch manager approvals. I used to be a teller.I used to be a teller too, and this is exactly how it worked. Still works today at the places where I bank. Maybe not all banks are using "the system" (as if there was just one)?

Yes, having a relationship with your banker is important... especially for depositing mass amounts of dollar coins and fee waivers. My go to guy was an assistant bank manager who would always greet me by name and knew the wife and kids ever since I stopped in to open a safe deposit box. Even invited him over for our house warming party. I also liked the fact that when I saw my usual tellers that I had zero day hold on all checks of whatever amount... Those days are gone as most of them have moved on and I suffer through the usual 3-5 day check holds and have to ask for fee waivers.

FYI... My credit union charges $5.00 for a cashiers/bank check (got it waived last week).

grex23 said:   That is why some others misspell it on purpose. The system turns it into a link even though I just typed it out normally.Are you sure it's not just that people don't know the difference between capital and capitol?

Frankly, I like knowing that CapitalOne will have to pay out a fat affiliate fee when some FatWallet-er clicks it, applies for something, and abuses it for profit.

If I needed cashiers checks on a constant basis, Ally would be the way to go. No minimum on the account. Anyone know the transfer time to Ally Bank?

If you have a business account with Chase, they will upgrade your personal account to a Premier Checking account and waive all the requirements. The account provides free cashiers checks, money orders, traveller's checks and a safe deposit box.

grex23 said:   If I needed cashiers checks on a constant basis, Ally would be the way to go. Then why did you start this thread if you already had the answer?

I didn't. Someone in here posted Ally as the answer.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014