• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
The fine print at the Discover website reads thusly:

>>>Earn 5% CashBack Bonus on purchases made on gas (at stand alone gas stations), movies and museums from 1/1/12 (or the date on which you signed up, whichever is later) through 3/31/12, subject to a cap of $1,500 in purchases.<<<

"Stand alone" brings to mind the old-fashioned Pete's Texaco with its gas pumps and service bays. But what about the gas and mini-mart combos that seem to be the norm today? Near me, a Cumberland Farms store has the best prices, and with pump space for eight cars, the gas business is a big part of the operation.

Just wondering if anyone has ever come across Discover's definition. Thanks.

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

drdobro said:   The fine print at the Discover website reads thusly:

>>>Earn 5% CashBack Bonus on purchases made on gas (at stand alone gas stations), movies and museums from 1/1/12 (or the date on which you signed up, whichever is later) through 3/31/12, subject to a cap of $1,500 in purchases.<<<

"Stand alone" brings to mind the old-fashioned Pete's Texaco with its gas pumps and service bays. But what about the gas and mini-mart combos that seem to be the norm today? Near me, a Cumberland Farms store has the best prices, and with pump space for eight cars, the gas business is a big part of the operation.

Just wondering if anyone has ever come across Discover's definition. Thanks.
FWIW, I've gotten the 5% when using my Discover card at my local safeway in the past.

did it stack with some other safeway benefit?

SinglePapa said:   did it stack with some other safeway benefit?Yes, I get $1 off per gallon for every $500 in gift cards I buy.

Some issuers don't pay the gas station category rate for gas stations at a WalMart, Sam's, or Costco.

svr411 said:   Some issuers don't pay the gas station category rate for gas stations at a WalMart, Sam's, or Costco.

I have local home improvement center that has a gas station and I noticed that I got the lower tier on gas purchases, also. OP, most stations are "stand-alone". It has nothing to do with them having a taco bell or quizznos inside!

In certain parts of the country, many repair garages also sell gas. These may not qualify, but it really depends on the merchant and if the use a different code for different transactions. Pay at the pump is much more likley to work than going inside a convenience store or garage to pay.

just pay at pump

I've gotten the 5% at a circle k convenience store that didn't even sell gas.

This one's easy --- Just go to your local gas station with your Discover card, then go online and check your bill and you'll find out for sure if your gas station is covered. You've got 3 months, so if your first gas station doesn't work out, try another!

Thanks for all the good responses. I wasn't thinking of Costco and other gas outlets -- those are probably the not-stand-alones. Also, Kanosh, I went back to old Discover statements and was able to confirm that my mini-mart is coded as a gas station. So thanks, everyone.

Oh, man... I"ve been waiting till 3am so I'd be the only one there standing alone, by myself getting gas.

drdobro said:   Thanks for all the good responses. I wasn't thinking of Costco and other gas outlets -- those are probably the not-stand-alones. Also, Kanosh, I went back to old Discover statements and was able to confirm that my mini-mart is coded as a gas station. So thanks, everyone.

CostCo is a moot point, since the gas pumps don't take Discover (only AMEX and debit cards).

FWIW, CostCo gas stations do count as gas stations for the AMEX CostCo True Earnings card.

Chris.

drdobro said:   Thanks for all the good responses. I wasn't thinking of Costco and other gas outlets -- those are probably the not-stand-alones. Also, Kanosh, I went back to old Discover statements and was able to confirm that my mini-mart is coded as a gas station. So thanks, everyone.

How to check that online ??

What about the shopping which you can buy from gas statition ? I can buy few other gift cards from the Gas Satation. Would I get 5% Cash Back for that??

rakagg said:   drdobro said:   Thanks for all the good responses. I wasn't thinking of Costco and other gas outlets -- those are probably the not-stand-alones. Also, Kanosh, I went back to old Discover statements and was able to confirm that my mini-mart is coded as a gas station. So thanks, everyone.

How to check that online ??

There's no online site where you can look up a specific gas station's merchant code. What he meant is to use your card, test it out yourself, wait for the statement to pop, and confirm that you got 5% back on it. If so, you then go back to that station and continue buying gas there until the end of the promotion. If not, find a different place.

rakagg said:   What about the shopping which you can buy from gas statition ? I can buy few other gift cards from the Gas Satation. Would I get 5% Cash Back for that??

The only correct answer is YMMV. Personally, all the "merchandise" (i.e., snacks, beverages, and other useless crap) I've bought at gas stations has been processed exactly the same way that swipes at the pump to purchase actual gas get processed. The only notable exception in my experience was when I used a Citibank-issued Shell Mastercard at a Shell station, their system coded the purchases based on what I actually bought. I could pump gas and then go inside the store to pay for it, and I got 5% back on it. The receipt even showed the grade of gas, number of gallons, and price per gallon. When I bought gift cards, soda, and beer, those counted as other merchandise and did not get 5% back. But I think Shell was able to code those purchases so specifically because it was a technically a Shell card, even if partnered with Citi.

If you use any other credit card like Discover, AMEX, or Visa/MC not affiliated with a particular oil company, then it will all depend on the individual gas station's credit card merchant processing account(s). Some stations run all their charges through the same system, meaning you'll get 5% back whether you pay at the pump or inside the store, and you'll also get 5% back on crap you buy inside. This is how all the gas stations I've used in my area operate.

Some other people on FW have had different experiences because their local gas stations have one merchant processing account for swipes at the pump that get 5% and another processing account for charges inside the store, which (for those particular stations) do not get 5%, whether you're paying for gas or anything else.

When I paid for car repairs at a Shell station that I use frequently with my Citi-Shell MC, the receipt was coded as a "Work Order" and did not get 5%. When I paid using other 5% back gas cards at the same Shell station to pay for repairs they ALL gave 5% back, because their system was not equipped to differentiate what was purchased.

YMMV... if you're really curious hit all the ones you're curious about.

I buy beer at my favorite gas station, and I always get the 5%.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014