• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Chase Ultimate Rewards has changed the line-up of merchants with 10% or 20% discounts on gift cards when purchased with reward points.

Of note was the 10% off Amazon.com gift cards.

Here's the full list:

20% off:

AMC Theatres
Land's End

10% off

Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Bed Bath & Beyond
Kohl's
Macy's
Outback Steakhouse
Starbucks
TGI Fridays
TJ Maxx/Marshalls/HomeGoods

Member Summary

It is important to note that you get different offers based on they type of card you are using (i.e. Sapphire, Freedom, etc). Change your card at the top (Switch Accounts) and see what offers are for all of your cards individually. When you find what you want, go to Rewards Home-> Manage Ultimate Rewards-> Combine Points to move the points to the card with the best offers. FWIW, Sapphire still shows full price for Amazon cards, but I was able to order them the other day by transferring the points when someone posted this about their Freedom Card.

The discount showed up on Chase Freedom. It wasn't available on Chase Sapphire where I just got my 50,000 sign up bonus.

er3456 said:   20% off:

Land's End
Usual reminder: Land's End cards are also good at SSears and K-Mart. It also has some bankruptcy risk (they recently went through a round of store closures), so I wouldn't stockpile them.

Mine says only 5% back on Gas and Amazon. Am I missing something?

ElephantNest said:   Mine says only 5% back on Gas and Amazon. Am I missing something?Yes. These are discounted gift cards when redeeming Ultimate Rewards points.

ajh5408 said:   ElephantNest said:   Mine says only 5% back on Gas and Amazon. Am I missing something?Yes. These are discounted gift cards when redeeming Ultimate Rewards points.

I understand that, but mine doesn't have the 10% Amazon offer, only 5%. Just curious as to why.

For the drivers under the BP footprint, the best strategy might be to get the Land's End cards, then take them to select Kmart's, which sell BP cards. Note: I've been to 3 or 4 Kmart stores in the area, and I only saw BP cards at one Kmart.

ElephantNest said:   ajh5408 said:   ElephantNest said:   Mine says only 5% back on Gas and Amazon. Am I missing something?Yes. These are discounted gift cards when redeeming Ultimate Rewards points.I understand that, but mine doesn't have the 10% Amazon offer, only 5%. Just curious as to why.https://ultimaterewardsshop.chase.com/rewards/partner/partnerDet...

That's the page for the 10% on Amazon... The discount only shows up on my Freedom, not my Sapphire.

centrifuge41 said:   For the drivers under the BP footprint, the best strategy might be to get the Land's End cards, then take them to select Kmart's, which sell BP cards. Note: I've been to 3 or 4 Kmart stores in the area, and I only saw BP cards at one Kmart.
Did you do already? I'm just wondering if Kmart will give me a hard time to use GC to purchase BP GC.

u2head8 said:   Did you do already? I'm just wondering if Kmart will give me a hard time to use GC to purchase BP GC.Yep, I've done this already, using Lands End obtained at 20% discount via Ultimate Rewards last fall. Sometimes the CSR will give you a hard time, but the POS allows purchasing BP cards using Lands End cards. YMMV. The hardest part is finding a Kmart that carries BP cards. They are rare!

Can you buy gas gift cards via Amazon. If so how?

For those who are looking to get a little more bang out of their rewards, the 20% off Lands End is very tempting and seems to be an alternative to people who were offering 1.1 cents per pt.

cashistrash said:   The discount showed up on Chase Freedom. It wasn't available on Chase Sapphire where I just got my 50,000 sign up bonus.

Just FYI, you can transfer the points from Sapphire to Freedom to take advantage of the discount.

tchen811 said:   Just FYI, you can transfer the points from Sapphire to Freedom to take advantage of the discount.

See the first reply to the original post by glock65803.

ElephantNest said:   ajh5408 said:   ElephantNest said:   Mine says only 5% back on Gas and Amazon. Am I missing something?Yes. These are discounted gift cards when redeeming Ultimate Rewards points.

I understand that, but mine doesn't have the 10% Amazon offer, only 5%. Just curious as to why.

The promotion for 5% is the Chase Quarterly Cash Back promotion. The 10% Gift Card promotion is for redeeming the points you acquired from credit card usage.

Green for the effort Op. 10% off isn't too big of a deal at most of these stores. I could see somepeople excited about the Amazon, just not me personally.

Let me know when Shell, BP, or somewhere I might actually shop has a special offer.

When using Sapphire card to redeem the rewards for travel, you automatically get a discount of 20%. I find this a better benefit than a (obviously) a 10% discount at Amazon, or a 20% discount on a store specific card. So, this is one of the few cards where I don't redeem the points as soon as they accumulate.

Their travel search is like any other travel portal like Expedia. So, you get a good enough selection of flights, hotels etc. The prices are pretty much the same as others. By pure luck, I recently found a hotel (selling for $280/night elsewhere) for $190/night on the rewards portal, and with the discount ended up paying only $150/night worth of points for it.

Sucks, I don't have the chase freedom card. If anyone wants to sell me a Amazon gift card for 6% discount pm me (I can pay with paypal)

Even with the 10% discount, using Ultimate Rewards points for gift cards is not a great value. If you do any traveling at all, you get 3 and sometimes 5+ cents per point by transferring to one of the partner programs. Buying Amazon gift cards at 10% off is still just 1.1 cent per point. If you plan to travel at all, save your points for that.

StartByServingOthers said: Green for the effort Op. 10% off isn't too big of a deal at most of these stores. I could see somepeople excited about the Amazon, just not me personally. Let me know when Shell, BP, or somewhere I might actually shop has a special offer.

As Mapen pointed out, the Lands End card (20% off) can be used at K-Mart and Sears, and then as Centrifuge41 suggested, one could purchase a gift card for a gas station chain like BP from K-Mart and use the Lands End card to pay for it.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014