• Go to page :
  • 1 2345
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Since the original thread on this topic by Grue237 got archived, I figured I'd start a new one since finding Sallie Mae now has an iOS app for remote deposit. I'll start trying to consolidate information in the QS from the various FW threads I've found on the topic and other sources.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I signed up for Barclays. Tried to apply for Schwab but they rejected me but Barclays has a 1% interest rate even thoug... (more)

grex23 (Feb. 19, 2013 @ 7:14p) |

if i deposit 2500 in wells fargo how much can i withdraw at that time

allishat (Feb. 27, 2013 @ 10:50p) |

I've used the Wells Fargo android app to deposit a check once. It was a $1.50 dividend check though, I wouldn't trust i... (more)

protomenace (Feb. 27, 2013 @ 10:56p) |

Check $K
                                                         Desktop  /Day $K
                                                           Reqs   /Month $K
Bank             iOS   Android   BlackBerry   Desktop   Software  Limit    Notes
Alliant CU
Ally                Y     Y                      Y          N     10/10/25
Bank of America     Y     Y           ?          ?          ?/?/25                 Windows Phone Y
Bank of Internet    N     N                      Y          N
Chase               Y     Y          Y           Y          N     1/1/3      
Citibank            Y     Y                      ?          ?     1/1/3Y   According to app, your account must be open for 6 months to qualify, Additional Citibank Requirements
Digital CU          Y     Y                      Y          N              Information 
E*trade             Y     Y                      N         n/a    ?/10/?   Information 
Everbank            N     N                      Y          N              Information 
Fidelity            Y     Y                      N         n/a    10/10/?  One account must be open for 30 days AND have $2500 balance before you can enable.
FirstTech FCU       N     N                      Y          Y              
FirstIB             N     N           N          Y          N
Video 
ING Direct          Y     Y           Y          Y          N   
M&I Bank            Y     Y                      N         n/a        
Merrill Edge        Y     Y          Y          N       Y     Y      Limit varies       
NASA FCU            Y     Y                      ?          ?              Information
Navy Federal CU     N     N                      Y          N              FAQ 
Paypal              ?     Y                      N         n/a     1/1/3
PenFed              N     N                      Y         n/a
PNC Bank            Y     Y*                     Y          ?      1/1/?   Information; *reqs Virtual Wallet acct for Android app only
Randoph Brooks CU   Y     Y                      ?          ?              Information
Sallie Mae          Y     N                      Y          Y        
San Diego County CU Y     Y                      N         n/a             Information
Schwab              Y     Y             N        ?          ?
Star One CU         N     Y                      Y          N      ?/25/?
State Farm Bank     Y     Y                      Y          N              Information
USAA                Y     Y                      Y          N      10/10/? Qualification 
US Bank             Y     Y                      Y          N              Information "$0.50 fee per deposited check"
Wright-Patt CU      Y     Y                      Y          ?              Use DeposZip
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I've had good success with chase using ios 5. Not so much on ios 4. Not sure if due to better camera in iPhone 4S or Chase system updates, but works great now

Schwab

USAA works well using iOS 5 on my iPhone 4

I've heard that Bank of America will finally be getting cell phone check deposit in 2012. Hopefully that comes true.

PNC Bank does this. Works pretty well, but has a monthly deposit limit of $5000, with a $1000 daily max.

Ally has a desktop-based deposit feature.

Citibank has mobile check deposit

Penfed's check scan was my favorite - but they took it away from me because I deposited too many (meaning two) bad checks. I'm a landlord, it happens, but Penfed didn't like it.

Chase has a phone-picture one, but they screwed up one of my deposits by erroneously rejecting it. It took months to straighten out and WAY too many phone calls. I'm actually cancelling our Chase checking accounts because of other issues.

Ally's is okay, but rather laborious IMO. You have the intermittent step of saving each file and uploading the file, rather than scanning the check through the web interface. Then it sometimes rejects the file, so it can take a few tries.

I think it is valuable to put a column about their fees for their checking account. For example, chase checking is $12 a month unless you meet their requirements of a $1500 balance, or $500 DD, or $5k in chase investments. I have wanted to find a bank / CU that offers this but doesn't have a monthly fee.

bluehorseshoe said:   PNC Bank does this. Works pretty well, but has a monthly deposit limit of $5000, with a $1000 daily max.

How do you do it on PNC? I was looking a bit on the site and couldn't find anything. Are you using your phone and an App?

isobro said:   I think it is valuable to put a column about their fees for their checking account. For example, chase checking is $12 a month unless you meet their requirements of a $1500 balance, or $500 DD, or $5k in chase investments. I have wanted to find a bank / CU that offers this but doesn't have a monthly fee.

Penfed

If you search 'Deposit Checks' on the Android Market you get a ton of them. (I was going to list but it's way too many)

https://market.android.com/search?q=deposit+checks&c=apps&start=...

Also: I suspect ING is going to be adding this soon based upon the message they have on the deposit screen:

https://images.ingdirect.com/images/secure/od/deposit_easier.gif

The quick summary should differentiate which banks accept image uploads and which require the installation of apps, for the benefit of those who don't want to install apps and/or refuse to sign up for a marketplace account through Google.

E-Trade has mobile check deposit on iOs.

First Tech Federal / Addison Avenue has desktop deposit that seems to work with anything (if needed, you can just pick JPG files to upload)

Navy Federal has desktop deposit but requires their Java app to do the scanning, and it doesn't like lots of computer setups.

erinm said:   isobro said:   I think it is valuable to put a column about their fees for their checking account. For example, chase checking is $12 a month unless you meet their requirements of a $1500 balance, or $500 DD, or $5k in chase investments. I have wanted to find a bank / CU that offers this but doesn't have a monthly fee.

Digital CU dcu.org

you may want to add Navy Federal

ClaimsGuy said:   Citibank has mobile check deposit
I read a few months ago that Citi is running an iOS pilot program, but I haven't heard any word on when it launches publicly (or how to get selected for the pilot). So I don't think there is a public way to do mobile check deposit with Citi yet.

erinm said:   Ally's is okay, but rather laborious IMO. You have the intermittent step of saving each file and uploading the file, rather than scanning the check through the web interface. Then it sometimes rejects the file, so it can take a few tries.Ally now lets you scan directly from the web interface but I find it much longer and complicated process than USAA. They are also a lot more fussy - I've had two checks rejected by Ally (received email the next day) and had to rescan them, never had USAA reject any checks, even those submitted via camera phone rather than scanner.

isobro said:   I think it is valuable to put a column about their fees for their checking account. For example, chase checking is $12 a month unless you meet their requirements of a $1500 balance, or $500 DD, or $5k in chase investments. I have wanted to find a bank / CU that offers this but doesn't have a monthly fee.

I have accounts at 2 banks that don't have fees and that have scanning check programs- PenFed and EverBank. I believe you need $5 to open a share account at PenFed, and EverBank is more onerous at $1500, but EverBank has no minimum balance requirement after opening the account.

I have been using Paypal's iPhone app for almost a year to deposit checks into Paypal first, then Bank of America. It takes about 10 days but have been very reliable. Free also.

mespin said:   ClaimsGuy said:   Citibank has mobile check deposit
I read a few months ago that Citi is running an iOS pilot program, but I haven't heard any word on when it launches publicly (or how to get selected for the pilot). So I don't think there is a public way to do mobile check deposit with Citi yet.

You are right, the are piloting the program now.... my mistake.

I have USAA online deposit and it's nice, but as I understand you basically have to be a USAA member by military affiliation (or being related to one).

USAA said: You must have a USAA checking or savings account and:
Have an active USAA property and casualty insurance policy and be qualified for a USAA loan or credit card (not a USAA Secured Card).
OR
Be eligible for USAA property and casualty insurance and have an active USAA loan or credit card (not a USAA Secured Card).

To get property/casualty insurance you have to be a current/former member of the US military, or related to one (child, spouse, etc). And of course you have to have a loan/CC or insurance with them (I have both, but never use the CC because the CashBack program and CL suck).

Added PenFed to QS. Desktop only.

PatrickM213 said:   If you search 'Deposit Checks' on the Android Market you get a ton of them. (I was going to list but it's way too many)

https://market.android.com/search?q=deposit+checks&c=apps&start=...

Also: I suspect ING is going to be adding this soon based upon the message they have on the deposit screen:

https://images.ingdirect.com/images/secure/od/deposit_easier.gif

Unfortunately, ING has had that message up for over 6 months now. I emailed them a few weeks ago asking for an ETA and they simply replied we are still working on it and do not have a release date yet. Would be very convenient if they did roll this out, then I could use them as my primary.

NFCU is not compatible with Mac OSX

biggsben said:   bluehorseshoe said:   PNC Bank does this. Works pretty well, but has a monthly deposit limit of $5000, with a $1000 daily max.

How do you do it on PNC? I was looking a bit on the site and couldn't find anything. Are you using your phone and an App?

For consumers, it seems it is only available on the iOS app (source)
For small business, it seems they have a monthly service available for a fee (source)

ACE

I would never use Paypal for depositing checks. Given the problems they've had with freezing money, I am surprised people on FWF take the risk.

M&I Bank, but I don't think anyone is going to be using it after February 2012 when they retire Cash Back Checking.

ETA: Android and iOS only.

Not sure what the intended purpose of this list is... will vary by user I guess. I'd think people would care about the daily / monthly $ or item caps in place.

Wright-Patt Credit Union (http://www.wpcu.coop) has a tie up with DeposZip which provides a web, iOS and an Android based check image upload solution. However, I cannot find any link or info on their site without logging into my account. I have used the web based service once and can vouch that it works; can't answer for the iOS or the Android.

Charles Schwab

Using the PNC Virtual Wallet app for Android you can deposit via a cell phone camera picture.

How well is this protected against someone depositing your check after some creative photo-shopping of the check image ?

Would the bank deposit with the said amount and then process dispute ? Just curious whether this can hold up a large amount for someone unnecessarily

I wanted to add that my credit union just started offering this service via cell (Android and iPhone). San Diego County Credit Union

Randolph-Brooks FCU

invisible said:   How well is this protected against someone depositing your check after some creative photo-shopping of the check image ?

Would the bank deposit with the said amount and then process dispute ? Just curious whether this can hold up a large amount for someone unnecessarily

It's a moot point, because crooks can easily print up phony physical checks using your account information which will pass the deposit bank's inspection. Whether they take a photo of a forged check or feed it into an ATM while wearing a Nixon mask is irrelevant. What protects the system is the integrity of deposit accounts - i.e., very little. Crooks can open bogus accounts or convince money mules to deposit forged checks for them. Afterward, they'll transfer the money out once the deposit clears but before the check comes back as fraudulent. The phone part of it doesn't really change a thing, other than maybe allowing, on occasion, some easily caught kid addict with Photoshop to pull an ill-advised scam he'll get caught for in a matter of days. The professional crooks have been defrauding us for decades. They didn't need the phones to do it before, and they certainly don't need to involve the additional step of shelling out money for the mobile GPS tracker which takes the pictures.

What keeps us safe is treating our checking account numbers like we would our social security numbers. If the criminal doesn't have our checking account number then he can't siphon money from our accounts with forged checks, physical or digital. Fortunately, the need to hand out easily forged pieces of paper with our account number on them is disappearing day by day. I can't remember the last time I wrote a physical check, drawn directly on my account, and handed it to a human being.

With ING soon to be owned by Capital One, I would not hold my breath. ING lost their competitive edge probably 3 years ago. Used to be $500 to change mortgage rate, then $750, now a full mortgage payment. They did that to "simplify things" for customers. The CEO used to respond to emails personally, but no longer. I could go on...

BofA rolled out a trial iOS app that supported this some time ago, but subsequently pulled it. Would anyone be up for adding a column to the Wiki for specifying the fees each bank charges for this feature?

Skipping 143 Messages...
I've used the Wells Fargo android app to deposit a check once. It was a $1.50 dividend check though, I wouldn't trust it with anything larger for the moment. Not that anything is particularly wrong with Wells Fargo's app or anything, I just don't fully trust the concept yet.

The deposit posted in like 2 days.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014