• Text Only
I'm of the mindset that I use cards like these to decrease the price of things I already bought and apply it to my balance directly. Any time I get a giftcard, it just made me spend more for something that probably wasn't a necessity.

Kudos to those with more self control .

Rewdog said:   I'm of the mindset that I use cards like these to decrease the price of things I already bought and apply it to my balance directly. Any time I get a giftcard, it just made me spend more for something that probably wasn't a necessity.

Kudos to those with more self control .

It's very flattering that you think we have more self control. Wrong, but flattering, nonetheless .

leetrade said:   How is the 7% bonus handled? If I transfer points from one card to another (Ink Bold transferred to Sapphire Preferred), does the transferred points count towards the 7%?
EugeneV said:   7% bonus is on points earned on purchases, as far as I understand, not transferred or bonus points.
That is my understanding too, but I just did some calculation based on the 7% bonus post in my last statement, looks like it did include the 2000 points I once transferred from Freedom last year...

Due to all the Chaze sudden cc account closing activity (see AARP thread),
I recommend that you use your UR points immediately when you get them.
Otherwise, you risk complete loss of aacumulated reward points if Chaze closes your account.
Historically, Chase often closes all your chase cc when it closes any one of them.

Yep, it's a valid concern. Unfortunately, Chase is also known for reversing statement credits and putting stop payment on rewards redeemed by check in some cases. Ironically, if you want to redeem your points with certainty, you need to find someone willing to pay for them - dealing with a fellow FW'er may be safer than with the bank. Besides, we offer more

It would be a pleasant surprise if Chase decided to give a 7% match on transferred points. Definitely in my case.

Got annual bonus on the signup bonus, not on transferred points. Was pleasantly surprised.

I guess will have to find out next year. All indication pointing me to keep this card for at least another year....

If you have Chase Ink BOLD and also a Chase Checking account, and the system recognizes the link (they do not necessarily have to be in the same profile; a sole prop business + personal checking for example is fine), you also get 20% bonus on all spending, making it 1.2 points per dollar spent.

But if the 7% Sapphire Preferred annual bonus applies to Ultimate Rewards Mall earnings as well as purchases, you are better off going through that card's UR Mall to make a purchase. You can still use BOLD or any other card for making the payment, non-Chase cards included.

EugeneV said:   But if the 7% Sapphire Preferred annual bonus applies to Ultimate Rewards Mall earnings as well as purchases,
I think it does. My same calculation above(again, can't re-confirm until next year) shows that UR Mall earnings are included.

Does anybody now if I can transfer UltimateRewards points to just anybody's United MileagePlus account? Do they match account holders names? If I can "gift" my rewards point to anybody's airline loyalty plans, it would be super nice.

yxxcool168 said:   Does anybody now if I can transfer UltimateRewards points to just anybody's United MileagePlus account? Do they match account holders names? If I can "gift" my rewards point to anybody's airline loyalty plans, it would be super nice.
I have transferred my UR points to my wife's United accounts. You just need the recipient's name and account number. It is indeed very nice feature.

ColonelHeero said:   yxxcool168 said:   Does anybody now if I can transfer UltimateRewards points to just anybody's United MileagePlus account? Do they match account holders names? If I can "gift" my rewards point to anybody's airline loyalty plans, it would be super nice.
I have transferred my UR points to my wife's United accounts. You just need the recipient's name and account number. It is indeed very nice feature.

For sure, and AMEX lets you do the same.

Sale is ending for the current gift cards at the end of the month. Please let them offer gas cards or something good like Discover did a while back!

Question. I have 4 chase accounts, one being the Sapphire preferred, also two Marriot cards and a good old Chase Freedom I actually use every day for gas, groceries. I have cashed out on my big UR bonus on Sapphire, took the check right to the bank, over $500. I also have cashed out for UR points and transferred them off Sapphire to my Marriot points account (for hotel stays, not onto the Marriot UR Chase card). For the Chase Freedom UR points, I get a lot (gas 5% bonus! 150 mile RT daily commute) but I only ever get a statement credit, gift cards at a bonus or a check.

So, here is my question. Can I transfer all my Chase Freedom points directly to Marriot points since I am a Sapphire holder also? Or, is it only on the miles I earn on Sapphire. If no, can I transfer all my Chase Freedom UR points to my Chase Sapphire, to transfer them to Marriot points. We are saving Marriot points for a huge 2 week trip that we want to do totally free with free nights and points. Advice? It is a driving trip so no need for airmiles, just lots of ground to cover.

Also, side-though, anyone know of a way to get my Delta Skymiles off my AMEX account/Skymiles account and into either UR or Marriot, where I can use them???

I assume you have Sapphire Preferred. You can move UR points from Freedom to Sapphire and then transfer from Sapphire to Marriot.

I don't think Delta miles convert into anything - they are good just for flying on Delta or their partners.

maven37 said:   Question. I have 4 chase accounts, one being the Sapphire preferred, also two Marriot cards and a good old Chase Freedom I actually use every day for gas, groceries. I have cashed out on my big UR bonus on Sapphire, took the check right to the bank, over $500. I also have cashed out for UR points and transferred them off Sapphire to my Marriot points account (for hotel stays, not onto the Marriot UR Chase card). For the Chase Freedom UR points, I get a lot (gas 5% bonus! 150 mile RT daily commute) but I only ever get a statement credit, gift cards at a bonus or a check.

So, here is my question. Can I transfer all my Chase Freedom points directly to Marriot points since I am a Sapphire holder also? Or, is it only on the miles I earn on Sapphire. If no, can I transfer all my Chase Freedom UR points to my Chase Sapphire, to transfer them to Marriot points. We are saving Marriot points for a huge 2 week trip that we want to do totally free with free nights and points. Advice? It is a driving trip so no need for airmiles, just lots of ground to cover.

Also, side-though, anyone know of a way to get my Delta Skymiles off my AMEX account/Skymiles account and into either UR or Marriot, where I can use them???

Weird... I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred & Freedom and all the points go into the same UR account. You should have the same option; therefore, you would be able to transfer the UR points you've earned with your Freedom wherever you please (Marriott).

EugeneV said:   

I don't think Delta miles convert into anything - they are good just for flying on Delta or their partners.

you can use skymiles in the delta marketplace for up to 1 cent/mile for hotel stays/car rental.

I don't think that cashing out for checks or statement credit is generally the smart thing to do. If you are doing revenue flights, you can get a 20% discount with your Ultimate Rewards points if you have a Sapphire or Ink Bold. If you have a Freedom, you can get a 10 to 20% discount on gift cards. If you are finding that the flights and/or hotels you want are really expensive, you can transfer your points to United/Hyatt et al where the point cost is often a lot lower than the cash cost.

I just booked two United one way flights that were about $330 each for 12.5k miles each.

That is correct. The points are worth a lot more than face value if you choose to redeem for something else (especially airline tickets), which seems to me a better way to spend those points rather than just cash them out.

yxxcool168 said:   Does anybody now if I can transfer UltimateRewards points to just anybody's United MileagePlus account? Do they match account holders names? If I can "gift" my rewards point to anybody's airline loyalty plans, it would be super nice.

Yes, you can transfer your sapphire points to anybody's UA account at a 1:1 ratio. You just need their acct# and first/last name.

UR has offered some pretty stout deals on merch around Black Friday the past 2 years. This past year, I got a 46" Samsung LED for less than half of what it was in store at Best Buy. In fact, I got almost half of my Christmas presents through this past year's sale... and everything I got was 50-75% off retail. So, I'm saving my points again hoping for more sweetness at the end of this year...

centrifuge41 said:   I don't think that cashing out for checks or statement credit is generally the smart thing to do. If you are doing revenue flights, you can get a 20% discount with your Ultimate Rewards points if you have a Sapphire or Ink Bold. If you have a Freedom, you can get a 10 to 20% discount on gift cards. If you are finding that the flights and/or hotels you want are really expensive, you can transfer your points to United/Hyatt et al where the point cost is often a lot lower than the cash cost.

I just booked two United one way flights that were about $330 each for 12.5k miles each.

Also, if you book a refundable ticket, for a little work you should end up with a 20% increase in redemption value, cash money. Turns 5% reward categories into 6% rewards.

Seems like converting the points to airline miles fetches the best value.

Hey, very informative stuff. I am just coming along and learning about the points and am a new sapphire preferred member. I am actually looking to purchase points as it seems some people above are selling. I am looking for bulk, 100k-200k maybe more, i guess bang for buck matters most. Let me know if any of you guys are selling and we can exchange info, details or whatever so that we are both comfortable/safe and I do have paypal. cheers.

Just completed a transaction with seanyang. Everything went smooth. He sent first so no need to worry about being left high and dry.

Thanks for all your support!

So if I transfer 50k UR points to Southwest, I'll have 85k RR points?

062703 said:   So if I transfer 50k UR points to Southwest, I'll have 85k RR points?

sure.... if you already have 35k RR points.

it's a 1:1 transfer. RR points can be redeemed for 1.67 cpp, so 50k RR points can = $835 in airfare.

062703 said:   So if I transfer 50k UR points to Southwest, I'll have 85k RR points?

If you transfer 50k UR to Southwest, you will still have 50k RR points, but like imbatman said, you can redeem them for ~$835 worth of airfare.

Deleted to remove completely boneheaded comment that's 100% wrong.

cestmoi123 said:   seanyang said:   062703 said:   So if I transfer 50k UR points to Southwest, I'll have 85k RR points?

If you transfer 50k UR to Southwest, you will still have 50k RR points, but like imbatman said, you can redeem them for ~$835 worth of airfare.

Just to clarify, if you have 50k UR points, you can:

1. Convert them into 50k RR points

OR

2. Use them to buy $835 in airfare via Ultimate Rewards
Not quite. Ultimate Rewards gives you 20% discount off airfare. ie a $600 ticket would cost 50k points if purchased using points through Chase's portal. Whereas 50k Southwest points will give you $833 worth of Wanna Get Away fare, because Southwest points are fixed redemption. Southwest points are worth 1.66 cents of Wanna Get Away airfare.

Edit: fixed to say that Southwest points are fixed redemption.

centrifuge41 said:   cestmoi123 said:   seanyang said:   062703 said:   So if I transfer 50k UR points to Southwest, I'll have 85k RR points?

OR

Not quite. Ultimate Rewards gives you 20% discount off airfare. ie a $600 ticket would cost 50k points if purchased using points through Chase's portal. Whereas 50k Southwest points will give you $833 worth of Wanna Get Away fare, because Southwest points are not fixed redemption. Southwest points are worth 1.66 cents of Wanna Get Away airfare.

Does anybody know if I can still collect mileage if I purchase flights using RR points?

seanyang said:   Does anybody know if I can still collect mileage if I purchase flights using RR points?Probably not. You never get FF miles for redeeming FF miles.

scripta is right....award tickets booked by redeeming FF miles do not accrue additional miles...

Good to know. Thanks!!

How does one transfer UR points from their Chase account to someone else's Southwest account?

yukon50 said:   How does one transfer UR points from their Chase account to someone else's Southwest account?By having a Chase Ink Bold or a Chase Sapphire Preferred card.

you will need their FF account number and last name....

centrifuge41 said:   cestmoi123 said:   seanyang said:   062703 said:   So if I transfer 50k UR points to Southwest, I'll have 85k RR points?

OR

Not quite. Ultimate Rewards gives you 20% discount off airfare. ie a $600 ticket would cost 50k points if purchased using points through Chase's portal. Whereas 50k Southwest points will give you $833 worth of Wanna Get Away fare, because Southwest points are not fixed redemption. Southwest points are worth 1.66 cents of Wanna Get Away airfare.

You're right, I'm wrong.

From looking at the Ritz Carlton card thread it looks like Ritz and Marriott points are the same. They are one of the hotel transfer partners for Chase. I still like Hyatt most since they seem to have a higher point value than Marriott and PC

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014