• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
A number of Chase credit and debit cards use Ultimate Rewards points as their reward currency. Among them are Chase Freedom, Sapphire (and Saphire Preferred) and Bold for Business (aka Ink Rewards card). Many of these cards offer generous signup bonuses, including 50K for Sapphire Preferred and 50K for Chase Ink Biz.

These points are transferrable between any Chase cards with this reward program, as long as you know the destination card number and cardholder's last name. To transfer between cards linked to the same profile, you do not need to enter the card number. Transfers are free and instant.

Points are always redeemable for check or statement credit in any increments starting with $20, or redeemable for gift cards to many merchants. Occasionally some merchant gift cards are at 10% or even 20% discount, for example, currently AMC Theaters and Land's End are at 20% off and a number of others at 10%.

What Sapphire Preferred has and other cards don't is the ability to transfer to their partners: Amtrak, British Airways, Continental/United, Hyatt, Korean Air, Marriott, Southwest and Priority Club. In all cases, 1000 points = 1000 points or miles, and transfers are in 1000 point increments, free and nearly instant. You need to know first name, last name and frequent flyer/guest number of the party you are transferring to. Other options include Airline lounge one day passes.

Both miles and passes are probably the best value one could get out of Ultimate Rewards points. If you have no travel plans, perhaps you know or could find someone who does.

See also: Best way to use Citi Thank You Points

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I completed a transaction with them in the past two weeks. †I clearly stated that I could not transfer to another Chase ... (more)

69ragtop (Feb. 06, 2014 @ 3:36p) |

I haven't heard a word from Chase Bank and I don't care anyway. †My guess is that their Chase account may be in risk, no... (more)

MitchFlorida (Feb. 08, 2014 @ 3:35p) |

It's funny that you think Chase would contact you right away. My friend transferred to his own *mother's* account (same ... (more)

Fly1ngBull3t (Feb. 08, 2014 @ 8:14p) |

For holders of premium cards:
  1. Sapphire Preferred, Ink Bold, Ink Plus: Transferring points to other travel rewards programs (up to $0.02/pt for United, $0.017/pt for Southwest, etc)
  2. Sapphire Preferred: 20% discount for travel redemption

For everyone else:
  1. Transfer/sell (YMMV and at your own risk) to holders of premium cards (Rewards2Cash.com is one example that offers cash for rewards. Again practice at your own risk).
  2. Discounted gift cards (10%-20%)
  3. Redeem for cash (statement credit, deposit to checking, check) at value ($0.01/pt)
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

The 20% off is generally for way over priced things. Now if you go to an AMC a lot or shop at Lands end it is a no brainer. They currently have Amazon GC's at 10% off which is what would benefit me the most as I buy so much from Amazon.. Of course I just redeemed a bunch for a credit on my account

How is the 7% bonus handled? If I transfer points from one card to another (Ink Bold transferred to Sapphire Preferred), does the transferred points count towards the 7%?

Get Land's End gift cards for 20% discount. Go find a Kmart that sells BP gift cards (tricky step). Buy BP gift cards. ??? Profit!

Or: save your points until next Cyber Monday. Hope that they have merchandise for anywhere from 25% to 61% off. Purchase lots or sell your points to others!

If the TOC allows. I would gladly buy points from anyone. Cash is king!

7% bonus is on points earned on purchases, as far as I understand, not transferred or bonus points.

Sapphire Preferred also has a 20% discount for travel redemption (similar to Citi TY Premier). The partner transfer looks good for Southwest, since each $1 (=100 points) is worth $1.67 at the "wanna get away" rate. That's probably the best way to use them.

Otherwise the best way for me is cash. If you don't regularly shop at those stores, most gift cards are a hassle at 10% off.

A while ago I posted a question in the Chase Ink thread about redeeming for flights. Don't know if this option is limited to Ink or if other cards in UR have the same terms. No response so I'll repost here and maybe the T&C are useful for this thread:

I said: Anybody ever try to redeem points for a flight? This option exceeds 1 penny per point, 25K UR points for $335 - $20 service fee. I'm curious if their airline ticket pricing was competitive.

Chase Ink Cash 5-2-1 Program fine print said:

Credit and debit card customers may redeem points for airline tickets online or through our toll-free telephone number. In addition, credit card customers may redeem 25,000 points for one round-trip scheduled airline ticket valued at up to $335 through our toll-free number, where permitted law. A service fee of up to $20 per ticket will be charged for airline tickets booked over the telephone. If you want to book a ticket with a value greater than $335, the additional amount over $335 must be paid for using either a Chase credit card and/or points.

As far as other redemption options go, I think a real cherry was the 20% off WorstBuy stuff around Black Friday. This was especially juicy for those with questionable ethics (returned stuff for full value). I didn't have enough points to get anything good at the time, nor would I have returned a discounted item. No idea whether such a promo would be run again.

I generally just redeem for cash but I can see how flights, miles or discounted GC's might be worthwhile.

we should do the same for AMEX MR

The Chase Ink is a charge card. I get that you have to pay it in full every month, but does it include the same features as the sapphire card where you can dispute charges etc?

scripta said:   Sapphire Preferred also has a 20% discount for travel redemption (similar to Citi TY Premier). The partner transfer looks good for Southwest, since each $1 (=100 points) is worth $1.67 at the "wanna get away" rate. That's probably the best way to use them.

Otherwise the best way for me is cash. If you don't regularly shop at those stores, most gift cards are a hassle at 10% off.

If you do international travel, you can get more value out of your points by transferring to United. Star alliance have extensive flights to Europe and Asia. plus domestic travel in US.
Ways to use chase UR points

I got 50K by applying TY Premier card few months ago and this card has annual fees after first year. I am thinking to cancel the card now. Do i have to use my points before cancel it? Or can I keep TY account and use points later?

This is not TY Premier thread.

Oops sorry! I mixed it with UR.

LynchMobHoo said:   If the TOC allows. I would gladly buy points from anyone. Cash is king!

Why would someone want to sell their UR points when they can get Cash Back in the form of a check, Chase checking account transfer, or statement credit??

yOyOYoo said:   LynchMobHoo said:   If the TOC allows. I would gladly buy points from anyone. Cash is king!

Why would someone want to sell their UR points when they can get Cash Back in the form of a check, Chase checking account transfer, or statement credit??

In another thread, there were a few people who offered 1.1 cents per point. In that situation, I might bite.

People have offered and gotten as much as 1.5c per point. I sold some to a very nice Indian fellow for 1.3c. We chatted on the phone for 2 minutes while I transferred the points and he paypal'ed me.

I just used 80,000 points on the on my Premiere card to buy $1000 worth of air tickets to Hawaii.

bluegreenturtle said:   People have offered and gotten as much as 1.5c per point. I sold some to a very nice Indian fellow for 1.3c. We chatted on the phone for 2 minutes while I transferred the points and he paypal'ed me.

I just used 80,000 points on the on my Premiere card to buy $1000 worth of air tickets to Hawaii.

For 1.5c per point, I'll sell all 15000 points and all my future points!

Thrilla said:   bluegreenturtle said:   People have offered and gotten as much as 1.5c per point. I sold some to a very nice Indian fellow for 1.3c. We chatted on the phone for 2 minutes while I transferred the points and he paypal'ed me.

I think you guys should realize that these points are worth around 2c/point when used for travel. Consider transferring it to United and get
free tickets instead. I posted a link above explaining options.
At least use it for Southwest and get around 1.6c.

Except that you are then subject to the airline's frequent flyer programs. If you just buy the tickets through the UR redemption, it's just like paying cash for the ticket (no restrictions) plus the 1.25c per point if you have a premiere card.

However I do understand that the miles, if done right, can net very good deals; sometimes flights to europe for example can't be had for less than $1k, and 40,000 miles will get you the trip.

nucor said:   Thrilla said:   bluegreenturtle said:   People have offered and gotten as much as 1.5c per point. I sold some to a very nice Indian fellow for 1.3c. We chatted on the phone for 2 minutes while I transferred the points and he paypal'ed me.

I think you guys should realize that these points are worth around 2c/point when used for travel. Consider transferring it to United and get
free tickets instead. I posted a link above explaining options.
At least use it for Southwest and get around 1.6c.

Maybe I'm just a newb with booking with mileage but I've never been successful at getting more than 1c per mile from any of my frequent flyer programs and I've got tons of miles with Continental, American, and Delta. Hell, I'll transfer my airlines miles at 1.5c per mile if I could!

I also do not fly THAT much. I typically do 1-2 international flights a year and 3-4 domestic flights.

Transferring points to other travel rewards programs is only available for Sapphire Preferred ($95/yr), Ink Bold ($95/yr), and Ink Plus ($65/yr?). The annual fees lower the value of these points. I bet the only reason most FWFers have any of these cards is the $500 sign-up bonus and first year fee waiver. I'd also guess most of us will convert or cancel the card before the annual fee kicks in.

So while these redemption methods should obviously be discussed here for the holders of these premium cards, other methods should not be summarily dismissed (I'm looking at nucor for redding my post above).

bluegreenturtle said:   Except that you are then subject to the airline's frequent flyer programs. If you just buy the tickets through the UR redemption, it's just like paying cash for the ticket (no restrictions) plus the 1.25c per point if you have a premiere card.

However I do understand that the miles, if done right, can net very good deals; sometimes flights to europe for example can't be had for less than $1k, and 40,000 miles will get you the trip.

Thats why I prefer keeping them in UR account until I have a flight and then transfer. Just keep your options open. Though, I understand some will have an urge to get the quick $500 for 50k points.

nucor said:   Though, I understand some will have an urge to get the quick $500 for 50k points.Yeah, some of us lived through the sudden devaluation of ThankYou points

scripta said:   Transferring points to other travel rewards programs is only available for Sapphire Preferred ($95/yr), Ink Bold ($95/yr), and Ink Plus ($65/yr?). The annual fees lower the value of these points. I bet the only reason most FWFers have any of these cards is the $500 sign-up bonus and first year fee waiver. I'd also guess most of us will convert or cancel the card before the annual fee kicks in.

So while these redemption methods should obviously be discussed here for the holders of these premium cards, other methods should not be summarily dismissed (I'm looking at nucor for redding my post above).

I agree with you. I just want to point out the other options available for people who are not aware hence I posted the link. you arent redded

I wish British Airways gave me an option tranfer their points to Chase, like they do, or give some stupid gift cards. Have 100K seating without use for 2 years after their old promo

77Rus said:   I wish British Airways gave me an option tranfer their points to Chase, like they do, or give some stupid gift cards. Have 100K seating without use for 2 years after their old promo

Not going to use it for travel?

I'm going to use mine to go to Europe. I just need to combine it with the Hyatt free night deal.

-mike

deleted

77Rus said:   I wish British Airways gave me an option tranfer their points to Chase, like they do, or give some stupid gift cards. Have 100K seating without use for 2 years after their old promo

British Airways has hefty award travel fees for Europe travel. You might wanna look at other options like Asia, Australia, S. america, etc. Frankly Cathay to Asia is the best deal, and you can get it with BA miles.
oneworld partner airlines

Anyone that has miles and wants to travel, I conservatively value transferable points at 4 cents each. Just made a $17k award redemption for 440k points, which I considered to be a poor value. Similar tickets could have been purchased for half that amount.

How do you transfer points to other cards?

Is this the same as "combine points"? I tried to do this by selecting Earn Faster|Combine Ultimate rewards points on the menu at the top of the page and got the following message:
UR website said: We're temporarily unable to combine your points. If you have questions, please call our toll-free number on the back of your card.

I realize it is possible to transfer Chase points to partner miles/points (Chase points earned through spend on this card can become Continental miles, for example). But, is it possible to convert Continental miles INTO Chase points, or is only a one-way transfer available. I.e., can points be transferred from other rewards programs into Chase Ultimate Reward points, or are you only able to transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points into something else?

I have a slew of CO miles I'm trying to cash out, and after the Amtrak conversion partnership ended, I don't know of a way to do this anymore.

watchtower7 said:   Anyone that has miles and wants to travel, I conservatively value transferable points at 4 cents each. Just made a $17k award redemption for 440k points, which I considered to be a poor value. Similar tickets could have been purchased for half that amount.

Does that mean that you are willing to buy points at anywhere near that value? What is the going rate, generally, for Chase UR oints? Thanks for any help.

Very informative. Thanks OP!

I frequently get >3 c/mile value from points travelling business. However, this value is subjective if you otherwise don't normally fly business. Typically it's hard to get much more than 1-1.5 c/mile value with economy awards. Bear in mind that buying tickets with points you still have to pay airline taxes, fuel surcharges, etc., and you do not earn miles flown on award tickets.

does anyone know if i buy the ticket using chase UR (instead of transfering and using miles), do i earn mile on my flight?

thanks!

karlmitchell said:   I frequently get >3 c/mile value from points travelling business. However, this value is subjective if you otherwise don't normally fly business. Typically it's hard to get much more than 1-1.5 c/mile value with economy awards. Bear in mind that buying tickets with points you still have to pay airline taxes, fuel surcharges, etc., and you do not earn miles flown on award tickets.We fly economy exclusively, and have gotten ~3 c/mile on AA and Continental/United intl. routes (So. America, Australia). The cash outlay was quite modest as well - about $25pp each way. I try to hoard our AA/CO miles for such purposes, and use SW/Frontier miles for domestic travel.

Be warned that using UR points for travel does not always work. I tried to buy two tickets LA to NYC, and back to LA from Boston. I was able to purchase the tickets on the Continental site, but the Chase site (and even calling their "travel agents") refused to let me buy it. Initially it showed that the tickets were available, and then refused to let me buy it at the final screen. The agents couldn't help - they saw the same thing I did. I gave up in the end, and just bought them through Continental and redeemed the points for cash.

gomakeitreal said:   does anyone know if i buy the ticket using chase UR (instead of transfering and using miles), do i earn mile on my flight?I don't see why not. Generally you only don't earn flight miles when redeeming previously earned miles directly from the airline for the tickets. Redeeming any other types of awards through a third party like Chase should have no effect on the ability to earn flight miles.

Skipping 209 Messages...
MitchFlorida said:   
sloppy1 said:   
MitchFlorida said:   Mileageforcash is good because he pays using Chase Quckpay, no waiting or fees.
††But they insist on you transfering your chase UR to their chase UR account = hi risk of chase blacklisting you and closing all your chase accounts!

Also, you must transfer first BEFORE being paid!

† I haven't heard a word from Chase Bank and I don't care anyway. †My guess is that their Chase account may be in risk, not mine. †They do it all the time, †mine was a one shot deal for me.

They paid me 10 seconds after they had access to my account. †I would do business the exact same way.

††
It's funny that you think Chase would contact you right away. My friend transferred to his own *mother's* account (same last name, different address) and got blacklisted for good. And that didn't happen right away or by phone, he got a letter in the mail like three months later. And his account was the sending account, hers was the receiving, and hers is still untouched. They seem to do it with no rhyme or reason, all you gotta do is do a Chase to Chase transfer.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014