• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Im going on a domestic flight where I will be carrying some cash (about $9,000). This was legally obtained money and honestly I'm not a fan of banks. I've kept the money safe and am going out of state to buy a car from a relative. I want to pay him cash for the car but don't want to be carrying enough money to break any laws / or imply that I'm doing something illegal.

Thoughts??

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You're more trusting than myself. I ALWAYS pull my bills out of my purse before sending it through x-ray. I then carry t... (more)

sayhey (Feb. 01, 2012 @ 10:31a) |

Saw this in the news today. I hope this wasn't the OP:

Police: TSA agent at JFK stole $5K from passenger

mespin (Feb. 02, 2012 @ 12:36p) |

He walked through the screening equipment with $50k that he had no record of taxable reporting to match that level of ca... (more)

nsdp (Feb. 02, 2012 @ 1:50p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I dont see any problem carrying 9k cash in a domestic flight.

I'm a baller, I carry tens of thousands on EVERY flight. Typically, I make it rain while the plane is in the air. It's never been a problem.

Don't think there is any requirement for declaration on domestic flights.

Isn't it sad that people feel like they can't legally carry cash around?

ive had several times that much on me before, i didn't ever tell them $hit about the cash i had on me, obviously get a money belt or something not in the wallet and not in the luggage even carry ons must stay ON you.

but at this point any cash makes you look like a criminal, i know i got pulled over a few years ago with 500 on me and the cop acted like i have a 100 grand on me... pigs are pigs...

NM, that thread wasn't domestic.

How wide can you open your sphincter?

dodgeman007 said:   but at this point any cash makes you look like a criminal, i know i got pulled over a few years ago with 500 on me and the cop acted like i have a 100 grand on me... pigs are pigs...

Ok, Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain are not the cause of EVERY problem. No need to bring them up in all finance discussions...

Hmm, how much cash can you carry on a domestic flight without declaring?

I'd guess 40 pounds in the luggage plus 20 pounds with you - whatever the weight restrictions for the particular airline.

As I think about it you should be able to carry another 30-40 pounds on your body, they don't restrict the passenger's weight.

So, how much is 100 pounds of green paper measures in $$ ?

Careful what state you are in, some have very liberal forfeiture laws and will force you to prove how you got the money to get it back. Then sometimes won't even comply with return after being ordered to do so by a judge.

With the TSA running a $hit show, why would you even want to attract attention to yourself? When dealing with the Fed Gov, use the acronym K.I.S.S (Keep it simple stupid!)

I'd be more concerned about the security risks. IF you get chosen for an extra look see, how will you handle the request to empty your pockets? How to insure some grifter does not lighten your load.
Whatever you do, carry some evidence that the money came legally or some cop with nothing better to do will be playing 20 questions with you if they sniff it out. I've read news storys that the "suspect" was detained long enough to miss the flight or the cops keep the money until you prove to them in a way they accept it is your cash. They assume the worst and see it as part of their job to do so.
Personally, I'd carry a certified check. It's lighter and draws less attention.
Alternatively, my bank has branches in several states. I just walked in with the car seller and signed paperwork to have the bank pay him on the spot. I had called the branch ahead of time, so they knew we were coming. The bank kindly handled the car paperwork too (notary, etc).
Maybe that would work for you.

I know of no reporting requirements for domestic flights. There is a reporting requirement for traveling with over $10,000 in monetary instruments into/out of the country.

I feel your limit is the allowable weight of all the luggage you can bring and/or check onto the airplane. If you want to travel with 200 pounds of $100 bills, there shouldn't be a problem (assuming the money isn't from dealing in drugs or other illegal activity). While it's not exactly a safe thing to do, you can carry it around with you.

neophyte said:   

Each bill weighs 1 gram. So, about $4.5 million in $100 bills.

No need to disclose it.

That doesn't mean an overzealous officer won't grill you about it anyway though

You should take the cash as new dollar coins, still in the rolls. The Mint will be happy to help you obtain the necessary rolls.

I had two rolls of quarters for a total of $20 in my carry-on bag and was questioned by the TSA when they showed up on the x-ray scanner, so it seems that under $20 is the limit to avoid TSA interrogation.

i guess rolls of coins looks like some sort of weapon under x-ray?

Hey, will a BIG wad show up on the body scanner??? Be prepared for a TSA pat-down.....

cowboyBill said:   I had two rolls of quarters for a total of $20 in my carry-on bag and was questioned by the TSA when they showed up on the x-ray scanner, so it seems that under $20 is the limit to avoid TSA interrogation.

I travelled with several boxes of mint coins in my carry-on and had no comments. Perhaps two rolls looks like you are planning to load your fists in a fight ?

I routinely carry a double roll of quarters in an M&M Mini tube. No telling if I'll need to do laundry while I'm traveling and it can be hard to get change.

Legally, you can carry as much cash as you want, no declaration required. The TSA has, in the past (in its effort to find some justification for its continued existance), decided that people carrying lots of cash are somehow suspicious, and should be detained and investigated. Supposedly, after the Bierfeldt case, TSA has agreed that, in the absence of evidence of criminal activity, it won't make an issue of currency, but can't guarantee that they'll stick to that commitment. See page 6 of attachment 2 in the below doc, section 5.

http://www.aclu.org/files/assets/TSA.Switzer_Decl_attachments_1_...

dodgeman007 said:   ive had several times that much on me before, i didn't ever tell them $hit about the cash i had on meCustoms Form 4790 ... not just forfeiture but a federal prosecution awaits

cestmoi123 said:   Legally, you can carry as much cash as you want, no declaration requiredSo that US customs form given to passengers on an international flight is optional?

EDIT: From the context, you must mean "Domestically, you can carry as much cash as you want"

Seriously, just put it in a bank and withdraw the cash at the destination. Sure, it's legal to carry your hard earned honest cash. But wouldn't you rather avoid the panic-driven pocket patting and take a restful nap on the plane?

Almost all cops are nosy buggers. If they weren't they would have found a different line of work.

I can't think of the last time I got pulled over for a ticket that the officer didn't play 20 questions about where I was going, where I was coming from, ect... (both as passenger and driver over 20 years)

As well as shining a flashlight in every window and in at least one case they had intentionally aimed their spotlights at my side and rear mirrors at 4am. (I did my best to send them right back since I had position memory to reset them)

I don't drink when I drive as an absolute rule, so none of these involved alcohol in any way. (at least three times it was a bogus excuse to pull someone over in a pressure play to search cars on certain highways that apparently have high drug traffic rates -- no tickets and the officer wasn't even carrying a ticket book)

$9,000 divided by $100 bills = 90 bills

1 bill thickness = .0043 inches

90 x .0043 = .387 inches thick for one stack

45 x .0043 = .194 inches thick for two stacks

I'd make multiple stacks and split between two carry-on's and pockets of cargo pants. Once you're pass security, combine the stacks and put them in your money belt. Be very suspicious of strangers and don't take a nap or offers for free drinks. Look over your shoulder every 10 minutes.

I'd just put the pack of 90, $100 bills in your wallet. I see the local bubba's and truck drivers often pull out a well-worn I-keep-everything-with-me wallet that's easily 1.5" thick.

Granted, this wont work if you have a money clip or a $3 nylon/velcro wallet, but if its out of sight in your wallet, where can the questions come into play?

I think your relative will need to go and deposit the $9K anyway, so why not just get a certified check from the bank.

Even if the odds are slim, it's not worth the potential hassle if someone gets suspicious, not to mention the risk of getting robbed.

When you go through security at the airport, be sure to say helpful things like "NOTHING SUSPICIOUS ABOUT THAT CASH, RIGHT?" and "I'M NOT INVOLVED IN THE DRUG TRADE, HA HA!" This will reassure the TSA goons and set their minds at ease.

neophyte said:   Hmm, how much cash can you carry on a domestic flight without declaring?

I'd guess 40 pounds in the luggage plus 20 pounds with you - whatever the weight restrictions for the particular airline.

As I think about it you should be able to carry another 30-40 pounds on your body, they don't restrict the passenger's weight.

About 45K bills. If they're benjis, that's $4.5M.

Wouldn't advise carrying that.

sayhey said:   Hey, will a BIG wad show up on the body scanner??? Be prepared for a TSA pat-down.....

My big wad seems to show up; but I only get a pat down when the TSA agent is female.

yaijic said:   I've kept the money safe and am going out of state to buy a car from a relative.

Question:

If you're buying the car from a relative, why won't he/she take a check? I don't get it. Doesn't blood run thicker than water?

If he/she won't take a personal check, why not simply bring a cashier's check?

OP - not a lot of people are fans of banks, but unless you have no documentation, or got the $$ illegally , you are simply using lots of effort and risking getting robbed by not putting it in a bank, and carrying a bank draft, or use the same type of bank where your relative lives.
Maybe you think by cash your relative will be more willing to lie about the price of the car, so you pay less sales tax when you licence it?
Can you still get $1,000.oo bills here, if so just get 9 of them, and stick them in your wallet, no bulk, no problem, and it will be wonderful to see the relatives face when you pay s/he.

Put the money in a mattress and take it with you on the plane. Money is safe and you can take a nap on the mattress.

BlueSeaLake said:   OCan you still get $1,000.oo bills here, if so just get 9 of them, and stick them in your wallet, no bulk, no problem, and it will be wonderful to see the relatives face when you pay s/he.

$1,000 bills (actually Federal Reserve Notes) are available and still serve as legal tender. Unfortunately, they run around $2,000.....

On a recent flight I went through a full body scanner. They asked me if I was wearing a money belt and I informed them I was just fat. So, if you go through a body scanner they will see the money and then will ask you to send it through the xray machine while you are re-scanned. Do you really want to chance having to be separated from that much cash?

Have you considered a cashier's check? If you get one at a bank that has a branch near your transaction, you should be able to ask about cashing it there. You do want to ask about check cashing requirements at the other end.

IMO, large amounts of cash are just too risky to carry for all the reasons already posted.

Skipping 45 Messages...
MyPoFriend said:   NSDP, After re-reading your comments a couple times, I have a question or two.

nsdp said:   He got a spot check by TSA carrying about $50k going to Las Vegas to gamble . Then they started going through his spending patterns.

Having and carrying money is not illegal the last time I checked. What did he do at the TSA screening that basically made him a criminal?

Granted he was eventually found to be evading taxes. That could not have been determined at the security checkpoint. What was the reason he was being detained? My guess is that Homeland Security took some liberties.

This gets at the heart of what the OP was questioning.

He walked through the screening equipment with $50k that he had no record of taxable reporting to match that level of cash on file. He therefore had a 95% probability of engaging in:1. the drug trade, 2. money laundering, or 3.tax evasion. If the proper computer reports were there he would never had a problem. IRS is allowed to use computer profiling to spot tax cheats.

In case you didn't know it, all bills $5 and larger have anti-counterfeiting strips in them now. Those strips stand out like a flashing neon sign at TSA. Bills in 2005 were made with a very different process than today. Let me be clear TSA didn't arrest him they merely sent a suspicious cash movement report to IRS. IRS has data mining equipment that can track those sorts of things in 10 seconds or less. They used to do it manually remember how they got Capone. My client had a total of $9k in cash transactions in the prior twelve months according to the data base. And he is standing there with $50k at the airport. Tell me a legal means of acquiring that level of cash on his person. They didn't arrest him immediately but he did go through hell the next six months as IRS Criminal Division parsed his life with a fine toothed comb. That chunk of cash gave probable cause for a criminal investigation into his personal tax returns. IRS has all kinds of data to improve the results of their audits. It is called a DIFF score. Every bank reports electronically every cash transaction of $10k to the IRS within minutes. When IRS couldn't find a matching transaction to go with it, you immediately have probable cause. The only thing dumber than not having a cash report on file would have been a series of transactions just below $10k on record. Either way it is like wearing a placard around your neck saying I am either a tax cheat or money launderer. He wasn't some little old lady who put her money in shoe boxes in the attic for 30 years.

Because of the better than 95% probability that unreported cash sums> $20k are tied to money laundering or the drug trade and that large cash transactions are easily so easily tracked now, he was just asking for trouble now. You go into a car dealer these days and offer to pay cash (not a check) for a car and watch every one in the room run for the nearest exit.

Twenty years ago OP would never have had a problem but 9/11 changed all of that. Most people don't realize that the sophistication of law enforcement tools along with data tracking makes life very difficult for unsophisticated criminals. It is like my browser tells me that it detects 8 tracking cookies visiting this site right now. Several are from groups that code share like facebook or google. Bet you don't have anything on your browser to tell you about that. The hidden data collection is why law enforcement is finding it easier to catch up with large sums of money than any other crime.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.