• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This is my first post so please be nice.

M&T Website

M&T is offering a $100 bonus if you open a Mychoice Checking account and activate direct deposit. The requirements to avoid the $6.95 monthly fee are one of the following 3 choices
1. Monthly Direct Deposit OR
2. $500 minimum Balance OR
3. 10 debit card transactions per month

There is also $125 bonus for the mychoice Plus and $150 for the mychoice Premium. These require a $5000 and $7500 minimum balance respectively.

I believe you can get more than 1 of the bonuses, at least I'm going to try.

I set up an ACH Transfer link from First Trade Union Bank and received the bonus on the same day as the 2 trial deposits.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Successfully closed my account via secure message today as well.

MidnightLight (Aug. 30, 2012 @ 1:16a) |

How to remove the online id after the account is closed?

GreedyEbayerApprentice (Oct. 02, 2012 @ 2:33p) |

Who cares?

gloreglabert (Oct. 02, 2012 @ 3:02p) |

you only need one of the requirements in order to avoid a fee. So it's:

1. Monthly Direct Deposit, or
2. $500 minimum Balance, or

To collect the $150 bonus without meeting the requirements:

1. Open the MyChoice Premium Checking with $25 deposit.
2. Setup DD (or ACH transfer) into the account
3. Email CS and change to MyChoice Checking after bonus posts (usually around 10 days after opening account), but within 30 days to avoid the $24.95 monthly fee. Note: You can convert to Free Checking to avoid further DD/ACH requirements.

Last year's thread indicates:
-soft pull
-25 dollar minimum opening deposit via check/ACH
-need to keep open 180 days to avoid early closure fee
-ACH deposits satisfy the DD requirement

One cash bonus per personal checking account for activating direct deposit within 90 days of account opening. Bonus will be credited to the account within 90 days of activating direct deposit and is reportable for tax purposes. Bonus offer is not available on all checking accounts, may vary by product and region, is limited to one per customer, and is not available to employees of M&T Bank or any of its affiliates.
  • Also categorized in:

Sashinator00 said:   

I set up an ACH Transfer link from First Trade Union Bank and received the bonus on the same day as the 2 trial deposits.

That is pretty crazy. How long does it need to stay open?

Where do you see the promotion?
I do not see it with your link or on their website, is this zip code specific?

Zip code specific.

You should make it clear that you only need one of the requirements in order to avoid a fee. So it's:

1. Monthly Direct Deposit, or
2. $500 minimum Balance, or

And thanks for this post, I have my main checking with M&T and will probably open a new account here to take advantage.

Hard or soft pull?

M&T promo (46.18kB)
Disclaimer
alanmax said:   Where do you see the promotion?

I see the promo when using a Delaware zip, but not a Philly one.

MrNovember said:   Hard or soft pull?

Last year's thread indicates soft pull, 25 dollar minimum deposit via check/ACH, need to keep open 180 days to avoid early closure fee, and ACH deposits satisfy the DD requirement.

This information is all from last year's thread so it may have changed obviously.

To collect the $150 bonus:

3. Email CS and change to MyChoice Checking within 30 days to avoid the $24.95 monthly fee.

I have been successful using this tactic for past M&T bonus offers.

DreamKrusher said:   To collect the $150 bonus:

3. Email CS and change to MyChoice Checking within 30 days to avoid the $24.95 monthly fee.

Thanks for the tip, going to give this a crack. Also of note, $10 early close-out fee within 180 days of the date your account was opened per:

https://wcmdr.mtb.com/personal/checking/Documents/CheckingFeeSch...

Is this really available to CA residents? I see the pricing info when i enter my zip code, but i know for a fact we dont have any M&T branches in California

During opening, I funded with external bank account, minimum opening deposit was $25, max $100

How soon the bonus will show up in your account? If I switch to free checking before bonus came in....

This bonus typically posts within 10 days of opening te account.

I live in CA and there is no local M%T branch. If I decide to close the account after the 180 days, is it easy to close the account? Do I just call CS and ask the account to be closed?

When I had Sun Trust, I was luckly in that I can call the bank and close the account. But with Bank Of The West I can't do that, I have to go to the bank and close the account.

Don't forget that this bonus will be taxed as interest.

I had a check account with them many years ago. Make sure you keep your account active or they will convert it into a saving, which has a monthly fee.

looks good to me, I'm going to try DreamKrusher's method to get the $150 bonus
i just opened the Premium Checking account and I'm going to register for online banking tomorrow. for some reason they won't let you register unless it's between business hours

I can't seem to get through the card setup step. Wonder if the account has already been opened, or would it just be treated as an abandoned application?

Same here. I can't see the "cash bonus" row (I'm in PA), althouth the note "4" is in the bottom. Seems it's a website error?

Buckmann said:   alanmax said:   Where do you see the promotion?

I see the promo when using a Delaware zip, but not a Philly one.

What is "Email CS" ??

Email Customer Support

You may also send CS a secure email via their banking portal. They have accepted account clossure requests this way in the past.

OneBread said:   I live in CA and there is no local M%T branch. If I decide to close the account after the 180 days, is it easy to close the account? Do I just call CS and ask the account to be closed?

When I had Sun Trust, I was luckly in that I can call the bank and close the account. But with Bank Of The West I can't do that, I have to go to the bank and close the account.

OneBread said:   I live in CA and there is no local M%T branch. If I decide to close the account after the 180 days, is it easy to close the account? Do I just call CS and ask the account to be closed?

When the time comes you can close the account online through secure message to CS.

Anyone else get this message when filling out the application online?

"Notice

Thank you for applying for an M&T Bank account. Due to the information you provided, we are unable process your application through the online channel. For assistance, please contact us at 1-800-790-9130 or visit one of our local branches."

Edit: FYI, I'm from Michigan.

Doesn't seem to allow NJ residents. What states are available to sign-up.

Allentown PA works fine.

Is it valid for existing customers?

In WI and worked for my zip code. I get daily credit monitoring and didn't see a hard pull verifying past experiences of people.

Thanks OP, sign up was easier than last time around, no savings acct required. The initial sign-up page didn't let me continue past the zip code entry with Firefox... switched to Internet Explorer and it was fine.

yup worked in IE

This seems really simple for the $100 bonus.

I don't see any fine print on it, but have people who have closed accounts with M&T in the past year had any trouble getting the bonus? I closed an account with M&T this past August, so I'm just wondering.

Please note that (at least in my zip) the terms to keep the account free are different for each of the accounts. Direct deposit will only keep the low-end MyChoice Checking account free, not the Plus or Premium.

MyChoice Checking
- Have at least 1 monthly direct deposit made to the account
OR
- Make at least 10 debit card purchases or payments per month
OR
- Keep an average balance of $500 or more throughout your monthly service charge cycle

MyChoice Plus Checking
- Keep an average balance of $2,500 or more throughout your monthly service charge cycle
OR
- Keep total combined balances of $5,000 or more in eligible personal deposit accounts, investments*, loans and home equity outstanding balances, and business deposit accounts
OR
- Maintain an M&T mortgage, in good standing, with an original amount of at least $100,000

MyChoice Premium Checking
- Keep an average balance of $7,500 or more throughout your monthly service charge cycle
OR
- Keep total combined balances of $25,000 or more in eligible personal deposit accounts, investments*, loans and home equity outstanding balances, and business deposit accounts
OR
- Maintain an M&T mortgage, in good standing, with an original amount of at least $200,000

n3rdcore said:   Please note that (at least in my zip) the terms to keep the account free are different for each of the accounts. Direct deposit will only keep the low-end MyChoice Checking account free, not the Plus or Premium.

MyChoice Checking
- Have at least 1 monthly direct deposit made to the account
OR
- Make at least 10 debit card purchases or payments per month
OR
- Keep an average balance of $500 or more throughout your monthly service charge cycle

MyChoice Plus Checking
- Keep an average balance of $2,500 or more throughout your monthly service charge cycle
OR
- Keep total combined balances of $5,000 or more in eligible personal deposit accounts, investments*, loans and home equity outstanding balances, and business deposit accounts
OR
- Maintain an M&T mortgage, in good standing, with an original amount of at least $100,000

MyChoice Premium Checking
- Keep an average balance of $7,500 or more throughout your monthly service charge cycle
OR
- Keep total combined balances of $25,000 or more in eligible personal deposit accounts, investments*, loans and home equity outstanding balances, and business deposit accounts
OR
- Maintain an M&T mortgage, in good standing, with an original amount of at least $200,000

I am seeing this too for zip code.

Thanks, opened an account.

Is this limited to one per HH? Can a spouse open another account for another bonus?

I have been successful too. Easiest $150 made ever.

does paypal ACH count as DD?

Skipping 208 Messages...
GreedyEbayerApprentice said:   How to remove the online id after the account is closed?
Who cares?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014