Citi Mobile Check Deposit

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Is anyone else here using Citi's new mobile check deposit from your smartphone? It's not clear to me that it is officially rolled out yet, but I've been able to get it to work by selecting "Make a Deposit" from the Account Details page. I initially got in by selecting that same option when I found it on the Services page, but when I tried it earlier it told me that the service was not available to me (although I just tried it now and it's letting me in again so obviously something is flaky).

They've been saying that the feature is in limited test in the "what's new" section when you download the app update. But then someone posted in the generic mobile check deposit thread here that they had been able to get in, so I tried it. I got some bogus error message about a limit being exceeded (after taking the photos of the check and trying to do the upload). I called "customer service" and after speaking to the mobile deposit team they told me it was not officially released yet and that was why I got the error message. I then tweeted to their Twitter account and got a phone call fromo a guy who claimed he would look into it. When I tried it the next time it worked for me, but it's not clear that it was because he did anything to enable my access or just because it's buggy. That's why I am curious to know if others are able to access it.

The worst part of their implementation is that you need to enter your ATM card # and some piece of identification like PIN or last 4 digits of SS# almost every time you go into the feature. On their website they typically make you do this before enabling some feature but I've never seen them ask for the info every time.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I've used it several times with no problems. I'm not sure about what end is up on the back of the check. The picture the... (more)

fungo45 (Feb. 27, 2012 @ 11:51a) |

That is odd, since you should be getting 2 emails for each deposit. You get one after it's scanned, then another the mor... (more)

billrubin (Feb. 27, 2012 @ 5:35p) |

I have used the apps a few times, no issues. I did have some issues with one picture, but I just needed to retake it (th... (more)

tbuccelli (Feb. 28, 2012 @ 9:15p) |

Citi rolled out mobile check deposits nationwide to eligible clients on December 2, 2011.

In order to be eligible, it is necessary for your account to meet these requirements:
-Consumer checking account
-Existing Citibank customer for more than six months
-Average six-month deposit balance of $5,000 or more
--Deposit balances include checking, savings, certificates of deposit, and money market accounts.
-Monthly balance of $3,000 or more
-Current positive account balance
-No returned deposited items within the last six months
-No more than one overdraft within the last six months
-Six or more deposits within the last six months
-No current Citibank credit product delinquencies

Upon meeting the aforementioned requirements, the mobile check deposit feature will become available on your CitiMobile application.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Wrong thread.

Worked fine for me when I gave it a try the other day. The verification is a bit annoying but I don't deposit checks every day. The interface is a bit clunky when you take the photo. No indication which way is up, so my initial check photos came out upside down and were rejected upon upload. But once I fixed that, it was easy enough. The feature hasn't been rolled out yet, so I'm sure they are still making improvements.

mespin said:   Worked fine for me when I gave it a try the other day. The verification is a bit annoying but I don't deposit checks every day. The interface is a bit clunky when you take the photo. No indication which way is up, so my initial check photos came out upside down and were rejected upon upload. But once I fixed that, it was easy enough. The feature hasn't been rolled out yet, so I'm sure they are still making improvements.Yes, I don't like how it doesn't tell you which end is up. I find that it seems slow to upload the checks, but that may be because they don't display anything other than an hourglass while doing so. The real pain is having to go get my wallet when it asks me for the debit card #.

Another problem is that selecting the account to deposit into is difficult to use, you have to touch a certain area of the line, then it takes you to another screen rather than doing a pull-down as other banks do (Schwab, at least). But I think this is standard poor design in their app.

I had one deposit rejected because there was a number printed on the back of the check. The app told me I had scanned the front as the back! I'm not sure what I did to fix that.. I might have covered the number and rescanned.

Oh, and today it told me that I had exceeded some limit when trying to deposit a 2nd check in one session. But when I tried to resubmit it, it told me that it was already submitted. I checked my account info and sure enough it had taken it. And I was then able to deposit two more.

kwest said:   On a slightly related note, I just found out ETrade offers free mobile check deposit. That combined with free checks, unlimited ATM rebates, and now mobile check deposit make ETrade checking a win win win. Plus I love their baby commercials.Pleae post other banks in the generic thread Banks that allow check deposits from image cell or scan.

billrubin said:   Pleae post other banks in the generic thread Banks that allow check deposits from image cell or scan.

Had no idea that existed thanks. Will delete my prior post.

kwest said:   billrubin said:   Pleae post other banks in the generic thread Banks that allow check deposits from image cell or scan.
Had no idea that existed thanks. Will delete my prior post.
Yeah, I guess the title is not as clear as this one is (which I stole from the Fidelity thread).

I just got a callback from the Citi Twitter guy (you can tweet them at AskCiti and then they will ask you to DM them your phone number and call you). He never did anything to get me access to the mobile banking, so it's obvious that a) it's available and b) the "customer service" person I spoke to when I got the error originally and then contacted mobile deposit support for me was completely wrong when they tld me that it was not available.

As he said that he does have access (via email) to give the mobile banking team input, I asked him to let them know that the constant re-validation is a pain (he agreed) and that they should put a legend on the picture taking screen to say which way the check should be oriented (he also agreed). We'll see if it des anything, but I'm sure it will go further than if I send email to customer service myself.

I really wish I could have been involved in the beta test of this since these are things that should have been addressed by now. Of course, maybe the testers complained and it still did not get fixed.

Hmm, I still have only the "Make a Transfer" option under my checking account. I have been waiting for the ability to deposit checks remotely forever, but I guess I will have to wait more...

Ecuadorgr said:   Hmm, I still have only the "Make a Transfer" option under my checking account. I have been waiting for the ability to deposit checks remotely forever, but I guess I will have to wait more...How long has your account been open? Did you look on the "Services" page? The link is also found there (first on the list). When they mistakenly told me I was not authorized yesterday (after having already made a deposit, so it was obviously a bug) the message said my account had to be open for 6 months in order to qualify.

Don't think it was mentioned, but is the app in question here the andriod or iOS app?

I also don't see the service available on my android, and i've had my account open for years.

billrubin said:   Ecuadorgr said:   Hmm, I still have only the "Make a Transfer" option under my checking account. I have been waiting for the ability to deposit checks remotely forever, but I guess I will have to wait more...How long has your account been open? Did you look on the "Services" page? The link is also found there (first on the list). When they mistakenly told me I was not authorized yesterday (after having already made a deposit, so it was obviously a bug) the message said my account had to be open for 6 months in order to qualify.

It is an 8 year old account. Not under services either.
I am talking about the iOS app, but I guess from the above post the Android app is not open to all either.

ethosunum said:   Don't think it was mentioned, but is the app in question here the andriod or iOS app?

I also don't see the service available on my android, and i've had my account open for years.
I'm using it on Android. Maybe it really is only available to a limited number of people and they never bothered to tell me that my account was enabled for it. I only learned about it when someone posted about it being available in another thread here.

I emailed Citi to see if I could be approved for the mobile remote check deposit and here is the reply listing the requirements:
-------------
I certainly understand the need to quickly deposit checks via mobile phone. After reviewing the resources available to me, I see that we rolled out mobile check deposits nationwide to eligible clients on December 2, 2011. In order to be eligible, it is necessary for your account to meet these requirements:

--Deposit balances include checking, savings, certificates of deposit, and money market accounts.

Upon meeting the aforementioned requirements, the mobile check deposit feature will become available on your CitiMobile application.

We are gradually rolling it out to qualifying clients who are using the CitiMobileSM application. Those clients that are eligible for this service will see an option on their smart phone once it has been rolled out to them.

Zoot said:   I emailed Citi to see if I could be approved for the mobile remote check deposit and here is the reply listing the requirements:
-------------
I certainly understand the need to quickly deposit checks via mobile phone. After reviewing the resources available to me, I see that we rolled out mobile check deposits nationwide to eligible clients on December 2, 2011. In order to be eligible, it is necessary for your account to meet these requirements:

We are gradually rolling it out to qualifying clients who are using the CitiMobileSM application. Those clients that are eligible for this service will see an option on their smart phone once it has been rolled out to them.

good info, thanks.

Zoot said:   I emailed Citi to see if I could be approved for the mobile remote check deposit and here is the reply listing the requirements:They're awfully picky! Are there any other banks with such strict requirements?

It just got enabled for me today. It seems that it wants the photo to be taken portrait and not landscape for better quality. The iphone takes some crappy pics, but if citibank thinks that they will do, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Ecuadorgr said:   It just got enabled for me today. It seems that it wants the photo to be taken portrait and not landscape for better quality. The iphone takes some crappy pics, but if citibank things that will do, I'll give it a try tomorrow.I think that's just how their help screen shows it. I've only taken them landscape and it's worked fine.

I've had it with their POS app. I tried to deposit a bunch of checks tonight. First of course it asked for my ATM card again. Then it deposited 3 checks without problems (actually, that's not true, the first check gave me "Severe Error" when it apparently did not like the photo, so I had to take the front again in a better lit area). For the fourth, it told me I had exceeded some unknown limit (which I have seen before and is some sort of spurious error). Then when I tried to resubmit that check for deposit it told me I had already deposited it, and told me the same thing when I tried it again. I checked my email and there was nothing for the 4th check. I finally hit "cancel" at the deposit screen and it logged me off and made me sign on again. I checked deposit status and the 4th check wasn't there. When I then went to the deposit checks section again, it asked me to enter the ATM card # again. I logged off and deposited the rest of the checks with Schwab, which of course went off without a hitch.

I could live with the bugs if I didn't have to enter my ATM card # each time I go in. But that is a real PITA and I finally got fed up with it.

Thanks to this thread I just re-downloaded the app (deleted it a long time ago), and discovered I am eligible, since the feature appeared. Unfortunately, however, there is a $1,000 deposit limit per day, making this not quite useful. Hopefully, they'll either raise that individually or globally as they roll it out to more people.

The workaround for the ATM card # issue: Last Pass. It's a secure app that will remember all your passwords. I use it on my desktop to save my sanity. I use the free version, but there's a deluxe version for a fee. There's a mobile version of it, which is not free, but there's a free trial period. I deleted it, but I might pay for it if I start to use the check deposit feature a lot.

coachandrew said:   The workaround for the ATM card # issue: Last Pass. It's a secure app that will remember all your passwords. I use it on my desktop to save my sanity. I use the free version, but there's a deluxe version for a fee. There's a mobile version of it, which is not free, but there's a free trial period. I deleted it, but I might pay for it if I start to use the check deposit feature a lot.I use LastPass on my PC and it's not nearly as good as Roboform. I can't imagine paying for it for my phone.

All of the above information provided in that Citi email is incorrect.

According to a Citi rep, Citi Mobile Check Deposit is available only in certain regions. New customers can deposit up to $500 per day. After 6 months, customers can deposit up to $1,000 per day.

I think it has officially rolled out to everyone eligible since the last update (Feb 10). The citi website seems to list it as a regular feature now and I even got an email advertising today. For reference, the 2 checks I tried were confirmed in 1 business day.

Ecuadorgr said:   I think it has officially rolled out to everyone eligible since the last update (Feb 10). The citi website seems to list it as a regular feature now and I even got an email advertising today. For reference, the 2 checks I tried were confirmed in 1 business day.Yes, I also got the email. I've stopped using it because of the ATM # prompt and bugs. I left 1* feedback on the Android Market for it, noticed that someone else had also complained about the ATM card requirement. We'll see if Citi gets the message when others complain (and I am sure they will). Yes, the checks get deposited once you get them scanned, but it was too much of a pain to get to that point.

Meanwhile, I deposited 17 checks (lots of rebate checks showed up) using the Schwab app the other night and they were all accepted with no problems or bugs. I couldn't have even deposited most of the checks at a Citi ATM because they reject postcard checks.

I just got the email as well...trying to deposit a check, but I keep getting a connectivity error. Both over wifi and 4G. Driving me nuts.

got my email today. tried it. no eligible

More negative reviews in Android Market. One person seemed confused about the email address he had to enter when entering mobile deposit. Another said he refused to enter the info they asked for (ATM card and security question) on his mobile phone, and yet another said it did not take his answers.

By all er, accounts, I should be eligible with the exception not not remembering seeing an email although I distinctively remember seeing some kind of advertisement either online or on traditional media. When I tried it on my newly downloaded Android app to Deposit a Check, though, I get this message:

We're sorry. We are having some temporary delays. Please try again later.

I'd say it's not ready for prime time.

I've used it several times with no problems. I'm not sure about what end is up on the back of the check. The picture they put has the endorsement signature on the left, but that has the front of the check upside down. I've just been using the endorsement on the left, and have had no problems.
Anyone know what you're supposed to do with the checks after you deposit them? I've been keeping them, just in case, with a note about when I deposited them.
The only thing I don't like is that it says that you're supposed to get an email with the deposit confirmation, but I have not been getting them. The only way I know they've been going through is that they show up on my online statement when I check a few days later.
The app is not perfect, but it works, and it's a lot better than driving to the bank and doing it the old fashioned way.

fungo45 said:   
Anyone know what you're supposed to do with the checks after you deposit them? I've been keeping them, just in case, with a note about when I deposited them.

Schwab says to hold onto them for 2 weeks, not sure what Citi recommends. What I do is batch them by month in envelopes, and then around the 15th of the month, I compare the checks to my deposit history (just to make sure I did not miss anything) and shred them. I actually need to do this, I haven't shredded since November.
The only thing I don't like is that it says that you're supposed to get an email with the deposit confirmation, but I have not been getting them. The only way I know they've been going through is that they show up on my online statement when I check a few days later.
That is odd, since you should be getting 2 emails for each deposit. You get one after it's scanned, then another the morning after it's officially deposited and posts to your account. I would try another email address (they make it easy enough to change, given that you have to verify it each time you enter the deposit section of the app), or check your spam folder.

fungo45 said:   I've used it several times with no problems. I'm not sure about what end is up on the back of the check. The picture they put has the endorsement signature on the left, but that has the front of the check upside down. I've just been using the endorsement on the left, and have had no problems.
The app is not perfect, but it works, and it's a lot better than driving to the bank and doing it the old fashioned way.

I have used the apps a few times, no issues. I did have some issues with one picture, but I just needed to retake it (this is using iPhone).

After a day or two, you get an email saying the deposit is accepted. The email includes the following statement:
Please write VOID on the front of the original check and destroy it immediately.
All deposits are subject to review and funds from your deposit may not be available for immediate withdrawal.

Tom

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014