• 1 2 34510
  • Page
  • Text Only
"Bill pay payments must be made to valid, third-party service providers or merchants."

Anyone have a list of what this may or may not include?

I would avoid obvious shenanigans like paying yourself. As long as it is a regular bill (e.g., phone company, CC, Electric bill etc.), it should be fine (at least that is how I interpret).

For those opening a brand new brokerage account to take advantage of this deal, you can use promo code 206 to get additional bonuses

Your account-opening bonus is commission-free Internet equity, ETF or options trades (up to 500 and valid for 60 days from account funding) with a $2,000 minimum deposit. Fund with $25,000 and receive a $100 cash bonus. Fund with minimum $100,000 and receive $300 cash or fund with $250,000 and receive $600 cash (Offer code: 206).

I don't know if this is standard bill pay language, but I thought this was cool:

TD Ameritrade will bear responsibility for any late-payment-related charges up to $50.00 should a Bill Payment post to my account at the Payee after its Due Date, provided that the Bill Payment was scheduled by me in accordance with the requirements described under "Scheduling Payments" above, and you have issued me a confirmation number for payment, unless you are not responsible to me for one of the reasons listed below.

For new accounts

do you open up new Individual Cash account and follow the three steps (order debit card-check, bill pay and deposit)
and follow the instructions above to get the EASY 200$?

Thanks in advance

BNizzle said:   I don't know if this is standard bill pay language, but I thought this was cool:

TD Ameritrade will bear responsibility for any late-payment-related charges up to $50.00 should a Bill Payment post to my account at the Payee after its Due Date, provided that the Bill Payment was scheduled by me in accordance with the requirements described under "Scheduling Payments" above, and you have issued me a confirmation number for payment, unless you are not responsible to me for one of the reasons listed below.

This is standard for bill pays provided by CheckFree (whoever they are now -- they've been acquired; this $50 guarantee is coming from them). If your bill pay offers "eBills", it's a very good bet that it's CheckFree on the back end.

once my account is funded for $500 can i pull that money back out? and leave .01??

que - Again, TD Ameritrade can be used as individual account and can I get debit card for that account(I thought i can only open TD Ameritrade for Stocks and Options)

Anyone know if those partner offers include one that can be easily converted to cash instead of being held as points?

OMG that was one of the longest application process I've ever gone through...

I didn't see a place to enter the bonus offer codes during my billpay and debit card setup. I am a new customer, so did I just miss it or was that the same for everyone else?

the only special offers for new account I could find was transferring many dollars over to get a sign up bonus of cash or points.

In for 2 (me and DW).

As it happens, our United miles for both of us were about to expire, and I needed a way to extend their life. The United partner bonus does the ticket, on top of the $200 for bill-pay and debit card use. So, with an initial deposit of $2,500 (with a few transfers later to cover bill pays and debit card purchases), I'm able to:
1. Extend the life of my existing United miles by 18 months
2. Add 5,000 miles to my United account (I figure worth 1¢ per mile, so about $50 of value)
3. Earn $200 cash
Figuring I have to leave $2,500 in the account for 9 months to get the United miles bonus, that works out to $250 for a nine-month investment of $2,500, or over 13% APY. Not bad, considering otherwise those funds would otherwise be earning maybe .95%.

Thanks, OP!

Chris.

The airline offers don't seem to be that great. I would have to pull $2500 out of a rewards checking account earning 3% and leave it there for 9 months. I would earn $56 in the checking account in 9 months rather than 5000 miles (~$50). Net loss of $6. But the $200 offer sounds good.

I just opened a broker account with TD,

how to sign up for debit card and billpay?

Checks/Debit Card Application

Please check here to receive checks.

Please check here to receive a free Visa® debit card.
Note: To receive a debit card your account must be set up for checks. Foreign accounts and IRA accounts are not eligible for the Visa debit card.

Should I check on both? They did not mention if checks are free!

Anyone?

sunspotzsz said:   Checks/Debit Card Application

Please check here to receive checks.

Please check here to receive a free Visa® debit card.
Note: To receive a debit card your account must be set up for checks. Foreign accounts and IRA accounts are not eligible for the Visa debit card.

Should I check on both? They did not mention if checks are free!

Anyone?
T&C: Enjoy unlimited check writing, plus get your initial checks and standard reorders (under 100) free.

Two questions regarding the requirements. Does anyone know if:

1. For the debit card transactions, can they be PIN or signature-based, or only signature (a common restriction for RCA's, points, etc.)
2. For the bill-pay transactions, would credit card payments be considered "valid third-party service providers or merchants?"

Chris.

TY OP. Took 10 minutes to open an account, fund, sign up for billpay, and fax the check/debit form!

cpaynter said:   Two questions regarding the requirements. Does anyone know if:

1. For the debit card transactions, can they be PIN or signature-based, or only signature (a common restriction for RCA's, points, etc.)
2. For the bill-pay transactions, would credit card payments be considered "valid third-party service providers or merchants?"

Chris.

1. It just says "4 purchases" so it doesn't appear to matter. Although, many of these type of promos have said "non-pin" purchases and generally do that...I plan on buying 4-10 dollar e-certs from Amazon.com.

2. Should work. That is what I setup. 4 billpays towards a credit card balance each greater than 25 and over 100. It appears they are trying to avoid people sending money to themselves....

Quovatis said:   The airline offers don't seem to be that great. I would have to pull $2500 out of a rewards checking account earning 3% and leave it there for 9 months. I would earn $56 in the checking account in 9 months rather than 5000 miles (~$50). Net loss of $6. But the $200 offer sounds good..

I would argue miles are worth more than $.01/ea. As an example, most programs charge 25,000 miles for a domestic round trip. From my location in Boston, there are many destinations that cost $500 for a ticket round trip. So I am going to call it $.02/mile. Further, if you have the Citi AAdvantage Visa, you can get some RT tickets at a promotional rate of 17,500 points + $25 phone booking fee, making the miles worth even more.

Still, not a huge profit to be had here regardless of what you think a mile is worth.

You know you could invest the money at TDA too, investing.

Their accounts set up aren't as clear as Fidelity.

My account with TD has following, so I need to have cash balance to billpay or use debit card, right?
Right now my cash balance is 0.

Cash balance
Money market ¹
Long stock value

I was planning to go to Aldi anyways, I will wait till I get my debit card.

Aldi is the only place I would use debit card.

kwest said:   Quovatis said:   The airline offers don't seem to be that great. I would have to pull $2500 out of a rewards checking account earning 3% and leave it there for 9 months. I would earn $56 in the checking account in 9 months rather than 5000 miles (~$50). Net loss of $6. But the $200 offer sounds good..

I would argue miles are worth more than $.01/ea. As an example, most programs charge 25,000 miles for a domestic round trip. From my location in Boston, there are many destinations that cost $500 for a ticket round trip. So I am going to call it $.02/mile. Further, if you have the Citi AAdvantage Visa, you can get some RT tickets at a promotional rate of 17,500 points + $25 phone booking fee, making the miles worth even more.

Still, not a huge profit to be had here regardless of what you think a mile is worth.

I agree, valuing miles is quite tricky. I've always valued miles at 1¢ per mile. But my wife and I just booked travel to Dominica (part coach, part business class) for 60K AA miles. Otherwise, the tickets would have cost us ~1,500 each. At that rate, we're getting 5¢ per mile. Of course, you'd have to factor in, if we weren't using miles would we be doing all coach? How much more in $$ is that business class ticket worth than coach? Would we even be taking this trip at all if we were having to spend actual cash?

Also, you have to consider the replacement cost of those miles. Any time I want, I can sign up for an AA credit card and earn 30K-75K miles (depending on what the current offer is) for nothing but a hard credit hit. How much is that worth?

As for locking the $2,500 up for 9 months, even subtracting that cash, for better or worse my three RCA's are full and will only be getting fuller in the next nine months. And 32 debit card transactions is quite enough; I'm not opening a new RCA. As a result I'd only be getting .5% on the excess, so this is a pretty good place to park that money.

Chris.

sunspotzsz said:   I was planning to go to Aldi anyways, I will wait till I get my debit card.

Aldi is the only place I would use debit card.

Arco has a lower price for debit than credit, around here at least

I just saw they charge $2 for paper statement. So, make sure change to receive electronic statement.

what are the monthly maintenance fees for the brokerage account? do we have to keep $XXX amount in the account to avoid fee?
Any other fees I should aware of? thanks.

So if I invest $2500 and it loses value in 9 months, do I still qualify for the airline miles too?

IME yes

Thanks, OP! Easy.

I'm an existing brokerage account holder. But where is the place to enter the offer codes before signing up for these offers?

Quovatis said:   The airline offers don't seem to be that great. I would have to pull $2500 out of a rewards checking account earning 3% and leave it there for 9 months. I would earn $56 in the checking account in 9 months rather than 5000 miles (~$50). Net loss of $6. But the $200 offer sounds good.

This is why I chose the 3000 SPG points offer for only a $2k deposit. They can be transferred to many airlines at a 1:1 ratio starting at 2,500 points or less:

From SPG: "There is no minimum Starpoint transfer requirement for Platinum members with most airlines. Gold members have a minimum transfer requirement of 1,500 Starpoints, and Preferred members have a minimum transfer requirement of 2,500 Starpoints."

VJ said:   I'm an existing brokerage account holder. But where is the place to enter the offer codes before signing up for these offers?

There aren't any offer codes. Seems to be automatic once you satisfy the requirements.

samsum13 said:   I just saw they charge $2 for paper statement. So, make sure change to receive electronic statement.

what are the monthly maintenance fees for the brokerage account? do we have to keep $XXX amount in the account to avoid fee?
Any other fees I should aware of? thanks.

Doesn't seem like it... from the horse's mouth: https://www.tdameritrade.com/ratesfees.html

sherap2 said:   flowfaster said:   Hard pull? same question here!

NO hard pull -- confirmed -- at least for existing customers signing up for the 2 deals:

Had called to ask about something else, and casually mentioned of having heard something about some promot... he cut me off right there enthusiastically saying oh yes we hare having these promotions .. blah blah .... so got a chance to ask some probing questions on the deal:

1. any restrictions on bill pay ? they expect 4 bill pays to be >= $25 each if paying more then one to same biller
2. I protested saying terms do not seem to say that, then he transferred to cash dept who said $100 total that's all but if same biller then they'd expect that you pay > 25.I am unsure if they can do that though as unwritten terms of the rule.
3. cash dept lady proceeded to sign me up w/debit card right on the phone -- avoiding any need to print and sign and mail the forms to them ....
4. asked her if there is any credit pull, she said certainly not, never for debit card
5. had to answer verification questions on the spot w/her on phone, got approved.
6. doing on phone is much faster in terms of receiving the card, even besides the delay for mailing forms etc.
7. as I small talked about them substituting the need I have for my bank, she said you need to be aware this is like a bank but not a bank, as liquid cash availability need to be kept in mind etc etc
8. TD Bank owns them but both are separate entities thus bill pays go through the TD bank and some internal delays, not much but there nevertheless

... so that's what she said ! ))

I proceeded to enroll in both, setup 2 bill pays x 2 cell phone accts for $25 each, so all set.

Easy $$ I hope, thanx OP !

Sweet and easy for existing customers. Thanks OP!

cpaynter said:   In for 2 (me and DW).

As it happens, our United miles for both of us were about to expire, and I needed a way to extend their life. The United partner bonus does the ticket, on top of the $200 for bill-pay and debit card use. So, with an initial deposit of $2,500 (with a few transfers later to cover bill pays and debit card purchases), I'm able to:
1. Extend the life of my existing United miles by 18 months
2. Add 5,000 miles to my United account (I figure worth 1¢ per mile, so about $50 of value)
3. Earn $200 cash
Figuring I have to leave $2,500 in the account for 9 months to get the United miles bonus, that works out to $250 for a nine-month investment of $2,500, or over 13% APY. Not bad, considering otherwise those funds would otherwise be earning maybe .95%.

Thanks, OP!

Chris.

FYI, extending your united miles is pretty easy by buying something cheap from mileage plus shopping website.

Or mp dining.

same question here for:

========================
Thanks OP. I have an individual and joint account so I'll do both. One question to make sure I don't get tripped up. My available cash is swept in a a money market fund; my "cash balance" is 0. Is this going to cause an overdraft if I use billpay or make a debit purchase? Do I need to move cash out of there before I do these things? Thanks.

For new account holder, is online bill pay available with zero cash balance? I am guessing I'll have to wait for the money to be deposited for me to be able to sign up for bill pay.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014