Myuta.com tax preparation scam

Archived From: Finance
  • 15678 9
  • Page
  • Text Only

good job @jd75137, American Consumer Protection Group will sure add credibility and push up things on google searches

jd75137 said:   http://www.mavericktaxreview.com/

Bravo

jd75137 said:   http://www.mavericktaxreview.com/

Good job my friend. This will aware many Indian immigrants who don't know the reality about tax return by Maverick tax AKA myuta.com Mr.Tony.

Hi,

Please do not put the picture [of Tony Patel] back up in the thread. I've removed it twice now. I have no issues with any of your commentary, but the image needs to stay gone.

Thanks!

Ted
FatWallet.com

WHAT?!? Did Tony threaten to sue the mod? lol lord

jd75137 said:   Hi,

Please do not put the picture [of Tony Patel] back up in the thread. I've removed it twice now. I have no issues with any of your commentary, but the image needs to stay gone.

Thanks!

Ted
FatWallet.com

It is extremely childish, and in bad taste, to:
1. Paste the contents of a PRIVATEmessage in the general topic
2. Pick a fight with a moderator / administrator

Back on Topic...

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Besides agency reports, actual clients who have been scammed or sent to collections or had false tax returns prepared need to be the ones filing formal complaints

This thread alerts people to the scam so they dont fall victim, and helps provide links for those affected clients to do something about it

It will also hopefully deter some people from just paying the $399 because they're afraid of being sued. Also, as an enrolled agent, I believe it's a violation of several FTC (professional tax preparers have some of the same privacy obligations as financial institutions) and IRS rules to threaten to release a client's personal tax information to another entity in order to secure a settlement, but I'm not a lawyer, so that could be wrong.

jd75137 said:   Hi,

Thanks!

Ted
FatWallet.com

Dear Ted,

You may want to run this by FatWallet lawyers - the safe harbor provisions of DMCA are pretty tricky and must be followed exactly to avoid being liable to what your moderation team -fails- to catch. That includes both notice and counter-notice.

Dear EvilCapitalist,

Thanks for the red on my comment, without giving any reason. Also, thanks for sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.

You may now go back to whatever you were doing... thanks for playing!

Technologist said:   Dear EvilCapitalist,

Thanks for the red on my comment, without giving any reason. Also, thanks for sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.

You may now go back to whatever you were doing... thanks for playing!
Dealing with DMCA complaints today while attempting to make sure we continue to sit in the safe harbor part of that law. Thanks for asking!

If I say I have the thread's best interest in mind, is it offensive if I ask you guys to keep your personal messages to.. your.. PM's..?

I've PM'd asking why the red before if it wasn't obvious to me.. i.e. I wasn't trolling or something.

BradisBrad said:   If I say I have the thread's best interest in mind, is it offensive if I ask you guys to keep your personal messages to.. your.. PM's..?

I've PM'd asking why the red before if it wasn't obvious to me.. i.e. I wasn't trolling or something.
Some of us like FWF. Some of us know the laws ( because we get to play in a similar industry ). Some of us like to point out how certain dumb behavior ( which is subject to discovery in lawsuits ) tends to jeopardize the well being FWF. So pardon us when we do speak out. It is not for FWF benefit, it is for ours. FWF benefit is a derivative our benefit.

EvilCapitalist said:   jd75137 said:   Hi,

Thanks!

Ted
FatWallet.com

Dear Ted,

You may want to run this by FatWallet lawyers - the safe harbor provisions of DMCA are pretty tricky and must be followed exactly to avoid being liable to what your moderation team -fails- to catch. That includes both notice and counter-notice.

Hey Evil, any action beyond sitting back and watching this thread was done at the behest of our legal team. I'm admittedly not a lawyer, so I when I'm advised to remove something, I will do so. I think we've been very hands off on this thread, and we want to continue in that same trajectory. However, if our counsel recommends an action, (I)we will do so.

Ted

I just googled 'myuta' , 'myuta.com' , 'maverick tax express'.

Well, guess what? Their website doesn't show until the 4 or 5th page.
This FWF tread is second entry in the first page though. Fatwallet effect?

I did find the following new blog, created in February:

http://www.blogger.com/profile/05059486590583605163

Thanks for the bump, I would have never seen ModMan's smackdown without it.

*Goes back to see what else I've missed while taking leave..*

I am also a victim of myuta (Tony Patel). I received email that if i done pay the amount i will have face legal hassle. What do you recommend? Should i send him a check ? what happens if i dont pay him? Is it legal to send summons over electronic mail? I would love to hear from others what they have done.

Check local court records to see if he has ever actually sued anyone

Service of a lawsuit via email is not usually valid on these type of cases

Usually he sends a ranting email to your employer or anyone else listed on your tax papers , and he might use a collections agency

If he uses a collection agency, can we can challenge it ? Is there any way to not have it on our record ? Considering the damage it can do to our credit is it worth paying him and get over it ?

sreedhar9501 said:   Considering the damage it can do to our credit is it worth paying him and get over it ?That's the exact attitude he wants you to have....

Yes you can challenge it if he sends it to collections .They will need to provide a validation of the debt , and if they don't but continue collection attempts you can sue the collector

sreedhar9501 said:   I am also a victim of myuta (Tony Patel). I received email that if i done pay the amount i will have face legal hassle. What do you recommend? Should i send him a check ? what happens if i dont pay him? Is it legal to send summons over electronic mail? I would love to hear from others what they have done.

Please copy and paste here the email that 'super-smart and reliable' Tony Patel sent you.

Thanks.

Hi, this is Raj a new victim of Tony Patel's UTA web site, this f****** are asking to pay for the service even if we don't want to file the taxes returns through them. Not sure what will happen if I don't pay them??

dmacjr said:   Hi, this is Raj a new victim of Tony Patel's UTA web site, this f****** are asking to pay for the service even if we don't want to file the taxes returns through them. Not sure what will happen if I don't pay them??

Hi,

Did you consider reading this thread?

Brad

this thread is hilarious, anyone with some common sense would just stay away from that guy.

What is Tony Patel up to these days?

caramelito said:   What is Tony Patel up to these days?

I think he's probably busy preparing those tax retur....oh I mean threatening to sue people to collect $399...

Tony Patel is an immigrant from Gujarat State of India. He is a very arrogant and rude fellow who likes to earn quick money by cheating or threatening the naive Indian Immigrant students and H1B or L1B workers. His IRS license must be revokes AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. He unethically deceives the people by promising them to get maximum refund by applying invalid deductibles such as fake Educational Expenses. He is actually putting people in trouble for any potential IRS Audits down the road. Can we all write a complain against Tony "Cheater" to IRS?

Looks like he's gone back to selling crappy cell phones...

Nice work, SIS! Your efforts probably saved a lot of people from falling victim to his scams. Bravo!

I am also a victim of myUTA. Please suggest if you have any suggestions to my problem. I have filed taxes with myUTA based on my friends reference to this site. I sent my info in March and after 3 weeks they got back to me saying everything is ready and ready to file by last date April17th. I spoke to them on 16th and they said all set to go. After a weeks time they sent me an email saying that IRS didnt accept e-filing and asked me to post them a check. I was shocked by hearing this and immediately sent a check to IRS by following instructions. Now I received a letter from IRS asking me to pay fine as I filed taxes after the deadline. I am supposed to pay around 350 dollars as fine due to this.

Any suggestions? Is there anyway to save myself from paying the fine? I have all proofs of the conversation I had with myUTA.

Thanks

File a complaint with the irs and CPA licensing agency in Texas

The links to file complaints are located below the first post in this thread

@ramthehunk - The most important thing for you to do is comply with the IRS. If you had Tony do your return there's a good chance it was done improperly. Be forward with all financials and plead ignorance.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014