• 12 3 458
  • Page
  • Text Only
numismatist said:   Sorry if this is dumb question, but does anyone know for sure if there are any restrictions on using this overseas?
My wife works for the UN, uses her debit card linked to her bank acct in less than savory countries.
Wud rather have a ltd liability, as opposed to possible draining of her acct.
SUCKISSTAPLES said
Do merchants in those countries take AMEX?
Sure.. not worried about the merchant ( i.e. Sofitel, Hilton etc). Worried about employees taking info elsewhere in a country whose govt doesnt care what you do to an American.
Happens here too, of course. About dozen years ago was out late on a date in an upscale after hours bar in NYC.
One guy at the bar was buying a pile of physical credit cards from another guy who owned a restaurant. They did it out in the open. LOL.

Prepaid cards likely have little/no dispute rights. Use a real AMEX charge/credit card, their dispute process is awesome and very customer friendly. However, many merchants not catering to an international clientèle at other countries may not take AMEX.

clearanceman said:   corporateclaw said:   ahsq said:   o hell, i dont want to give my SSN away for $25....

It's AMEX. If you are posting on FWF either you are lost or they already have your SSN.

Every time I send in a quarterly estimated payment to the IRS and write my SS on the front of the check as instructed, I wonder who DOESN'T have my SS.

Rememeber too that you give your bank account number to anyone you write a check to. Yet I've somehow been able to avoid identity theft...

Reading through all of these posts, not sure if I missed it or not, but did anyone venture an opinion on whether or not those of us who got in the first time they did this promo would be eligible again?

I just did it, with the promotion code, and I funded it at the same time. I saw no acknowledgement of the promotion. Is that what happened with you guys too?

=> Never mind, somehow I missed a whole page of comments... damn you 40's

Grr, I ordered one of these month ago, just because. NO 25 BUCKS FOR ME!!

melikefree said:   I enter the code and it says nothing about the $25 promotional offer? same for everyone else?
Going to order a $25 card and hope the other $25 comes in eventually?
Same here. There is no acknowledgement of the promo code or $25 bonus anywhere. Anyone else???

uh oh no acknowledgment of the $25 promo.....what's up!

did anyone else get this email that the OP mentioned???

Just noticed that this week, CVS ad says the Green Dot cards can be purchased with no fee. So theoretically, you can buy a Green Dot card and load it with cash, then fund this AE card. A little easier than paying the fee first and getting a refund from AE later.

I just ordered three. One with an initial funding of $25 and two that were not loaded.

I didn't get any kind of promo confirmation on the order summary, but the promo codes did not generate an error. Crossing my fingers.

Vanil said:   Thanks OP, in for three!!

I love American Express, first the pass card bonus and now these.

Functionally, this appears the same as the Pass card.

If you got a Pass card (or cards) are you eligible for this?

Prepaid cards do have uses, such as limiting the problem if stolen (card in car with a few dollars on it for emergencies, for instance), or a card to carrying a disposable wallet (to give to robbers on demand) when traveling in the Philippines.

While you have protection against unauthorized use in any case, I suspect it is a lot easier to deal with the problem when the sum in issue is low, than when it is in the thousands. A regular card is likely to be canceled if there is unauthorized use, and this can be a problem if one is traveling.

Is anyone getting any email response more detailed "Your Order has been received"?

gremln007 said:   Is anyone getting any email response more detailed "Your Order has been received"?

Received the promo email & code the other day. Thanks to OP & this thread, realized I should go back and give it a try (free money). Got the "Your Order has been received" email. Waiting for the rest.

Everything an identity thief needs to know is required. And AMEX cancelled a lot of a similar promotional applications a while ago. All this excess typing and entering and later verificationing in the hope of receiving $25 in the indefinite future. I actually do hope you folks get paid.

In for 3, fingers crossed.

Crap, I forgot to enter the promo code. Anybody have luck getting the $25 with CSR afterwards?

sherap2 said:   i won't sell my SS Number for $25.

What about $75?

So if my wife has a non-prepaid regular AMEX card issued in her name (my same underlying account) does that mean if we find 6 names to receive the card (2 of which being us) then we can do this 6x?

Just talked to an AMEX rep at the 866 number on the website. She said this $25 bonus gift card offer is by invitation only, that you have to have received an email. If you have not been invited even with the promotion code you will not get the bonus gift card. Anyone heard anything different?

lmlau said:   Just talked to an AMEX rep at the 866 number on the website. She said this $25 bonus gift card offer is by invitation only, that you have to have received an email. If you have not been invited even with the promotion code you will not get the bonus gift card. Anyone heard anything different?

I heard you're not supposed to call the company when there is a deal at stake. I think it's rule 1, 2, and 3.

the way i see it is you have nothing to loose.. if no bonus just spend your original deposit. if there is a bonus! we win..

Just tried it. I guess we'll see

Got email today from AMEX to confirm 2 small deposits in my checking account before they transfer funds to the cards I ordered. 2nd step accomplished. They way I see it is that at least I will get the cards I ordered with the funds I authorized them to load. If I get the bonus, icing on the cake.

Relaxing said:   Got email today from AMEX to confirm 2 small deposits in my checking account before they transfer funds to the cards I ordered. 2nd step accomplished. They way I see it is that at least I will get the cards I ordered with the funds I authorized them to load. If I get the bonus, icing on the cake.

How did you confirm the deposits? Did you create a new AMEX account? Had your cards already arrived?

mindbowels said:   Relaxing said:   Got email today from AMEX to confirm 2 small deposits in my checking account before they transfer funds to the cards I ordered. 2nd step accomplished. They way I see it is that at least I will get the cards I ordered with the funds I authorized them to load. If I get the bonus, icing on the cake.

How did you confirm the deposits? Did you create a new AMEX account? Had your cards already arrived?

Had to set up an account with social security number and name of who ordered the card. Go to www.Americanexpress.com/prepaid

Then you will be asked to verify the deposits which should be showing in the bank account you used to fund the cards. Mine showed 4 deposits since I ordered 2 cards from same bank account, but AMEX also withdrew the deposits in 2 transactions so I was able to figure out which 2 belonged to which card I ordered.

Whew, good luck

Previous poster linked it....I logged on with my regular AMEX login and searched for "prepaid" and took me right to the trial deposit screen after noting that I was a subscriber.

Page where you verify trial deposits failed for me & skipped the step. Using Chrome. Ughh calling customer service.

Same here

I had to use IE to get the trial deposit page to appear. CSR said she'd report that error on FF (yeah, sure).

gremln007 said:   Is anyone getting any email response more detailed "Your Order has been received"?

Received 2 emails tonight from them. Card is on the way.

Ordered 2 cards but only got the trial deposit verification email for one. Verified easily on the website.

drsauce said:   Ordered 2 cards but only got the trial deposit verification email for one. Verified easily on the website.

I ordered 3 cards and they only did 1 trial deposit set for verification....but had all 3-25 dollar withdrawals come out of my bank account this morning so it is combined.

I am also wondering if they just combine all of mine on one card....i.e. get a 75 dollar card eligible for one 25 dollar bonus since you are only supposed to have only 1 card per the conditions on their site.

What is the URL to get online to verify small deposits for card ordered?

maddybeagle said:   drsauce said:   Ordered 2 cards but only got the trial deposit verification email for one. Verified easily on the website.

I ordered 3 cards and they only did 1 trial deposit set for verification....but had all 3-25 dollar withdrawals come out of my bank account this morning so it is combined.

I am also wondering if they just combine all of mine on one card....i.e. get a 75 dollar card eligible for one 25 dollar bonus since you are only supposed to have only 1 card per the conditions on their site.

They may if you used your own name on all 3

Same here. I checked the bank account this morning and the two small deposits that went in yesterday were retracted by AMEX this morning after I verified the deposits. Although I signed up for three cards, there was only one set of deposits. Not sure if they only need to verify the bank account once or for each card, so I cant tell if I will get three cards each with a $25 deposit or one card with three $25 deposits on it. Keep you posted.

sounds like i need to load the card with money ... i didn't put anything on the 3 cards i ordered ! ( this was a few days ago ) ... i did use the promo when i ordered so can i add funds now and keep fingers crossed for $25 ....

is the deal still alive?

Not sure if the registration is still alive, but I am in the final waiting period for my cards. Should be here in a day or two. When they arrive, I will activate them and wait to see if the bonus applies. More to come...

hellotheworld said:   is the deal still alive?

Maybe or maybe not after Lmalau alerted operations about FWF's attempt to cash in on the bonus . We're not sure if the deal will work and I don't anticipate anyone posting results for a while since there is a delay between when you load money to the card and supposedly get the reward. Give it a try or give it a pass.

drsauce said:   Ordered 2 cards but only got the trial deposit verification email for one. Verified easily on the website.

The trial deposit is just verifying a valid bank account owned by you. When signing up, there was a note saying they would only do this once per bank account. Signing up for cards 2 & 3 (wife and daughter) auto-filled my bank info (I was logged into AMEX account at the time.)

cKGunslinger said:   drsauce said:   Ordered 2 cards but only got the trial deposit verification email for one. Verified easily on the website.

The trial deposit is just verifying a valid bank account owned by you. When signing up, there was a note saying they would only do this once per bank account. Signing up for cards 2 & 3 (wife and daughter) auto-filled my bank info (I was logged into AMEX account at the time.)

I only mentioned it because of the message below

Thisiswhaticanafford said:   Mine showed 4 deposits since I ordered 2 cards from same bank account, but AMEX also withdrew the deposits in 2 transactions so I was able to figure out which 2 belonged to which card I ordered.

Whew, good luck

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014