• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This was previously discussed in Banks That Offer Free Wire Transfers but that thread is now archived. Reading that thread it seems that the only options for free outgoing international wires are:

HSBC Business Direct - Can only be opened in a few states "CA, NY, NJ, CT, MD and a few others"

Ameritrade Apex - Requires five or more trades per month, or $100k balance

Are there any others now?

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

HSBC: CA, CT, DC, FL, IL, NJ, NY, MD, PA, VA, WA

No go for me...looking for other options as well.

I spend so much on wire transfers each year that I would save money by flying to one of these states and getting an HSBC account there. Does anyone know how stringent their checks are? I applied once and said my address was not in one of those states but I "operate" in NY a lot. They said that was insufficient, so this time I'm gonna get a local forwarding address. Do they also require that the business be incorporated in that state? That would make it a lot more expensive and even more a hassle.

It's up to the individual branch how strict they are

I opened hsbc business acct by simply saying I'm a landlord - no business license or tax id, just my ssn as a sole proprietor

Once you have an a business account with hsbc, can you send a wire transfer with HSBC online or do you have to go into a branch office? If you can send it online, is there a limit to the amount?

KingSalmon said:   I spend so much on wire transfers each year that I would save money by flying to one of these states and getting an HSBC account there. Does anyone know how stringent their checks are? I applied once and said my address was not in one of those states but I "operate" in NY a lot. They said that was insufficient, so this time I'm gonna get a local forwarding address. Do they also require that the business be incorporated in that state? That would make it a lot more expensive and even more a hassle.
NYC was a pain for me, they needed state LLC forms, EIN, etc. CT just needed a DBA form, unfortunately the CT branches are in the process of being bought by Niagara Bank.

phatrabbitzz said:   Once you have an a business account with hsbc, can you send a wire transfer with HSBC online or do you have to go into a branch office? If you can send it online, is there a limit to the amount?
Yes it can be done entirely online. I don't believe there is a limit.

Anyone know of any free *incoming* wire banks? I'm looking for a backup just in case HSBC closes any more branches or pulls this deal.

Serpentor said:   Anyone know of any free *incoming* wire banks? I'm looking for a backup just in case HSBC closes any more branches or pulls this deal.

I think most brokerage based checking accounts have free incoming wires. i.e. Fidelity or Schwab.

For outgoing I use Xoom. It's not for large transactions, but I have no need for that. I've used it to deposit money in a U.K checking account. The service charge is only $4.99. Their website says U.K. transfers take only one hour. In my experience it's only been about 30 minutes until the funds appear in the other account. Some have given this service poor reviews, but it works for me.

fidelity private clients get free wire

i recall opening an account was a real hassle.

they want the names of all owners in the corporation. when i asked if they demanded that of microsoft they said it was procedure for small business. also "interviewed" me and asked really probing questions.

plus the usual articles of incorporation, state papers, etc...

due to other issues, i ended up closing the account. not worth the ongoing hassle.

be careful they ding you on every little penny, even when there is no interest (you have to PAY to deposit money, like 0.5%... called FDIC deposit fee). there was an unreasonale minimum balance if i recall..

TDAmeritrade Apex is much better but you cant use them as a bank. it has to be "washed", meaning you cant deposit money and wire it out to another source right away - you have to buy and sell security or there is a chance the wire would not go through

Chase military checking offers free incoming and outgoing wires: www.chase.com/online/military/military-personal.htm
There was a time when I was sending 100+ domestic business wires a month, and I have a family member who was i the air force, so I was close to having him open the account and then adding me as a signer. Then using their linked online banking I could transfer the money from my biz checking to the joint personal, and then initiate on online wire. He was oversees at the time, and then came back, wasn't sending as many wires, so never got around to executing. I believe he would have had to have his pay direct deposited into the account. Also, could open up to 3 different accounts, so that would have helped to keep funds separate and organized. I'm pretty sure they said international wires were also free, but not 100% sure.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014