Category Cards bonus Spreadsheet

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
A work in progress. This is bonus only, no EDP.
Category Rewards Spreadsheet

Please post any changes/updates

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
The idea behind this app is great. What is a show stopper for me is that most special rates are limited not only in time... (more)

DrXX (May. 06, 2012 @ 10:12a) |

I will keep this in mind for the future. Thanks for the feedback.

talljay (May. 06, 2012 @ 11:39a) |

clutchcargo777 (Jul. 04, 2012 @ 3:03p) |

Updated for Q3 2012

Interesting.. I have something similar for my credit cards
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AmM6lFxEl6RMdERHVFF...

Nice list OP. I believe Citi Fwd is also 5p on movies.

I like the spreadsheets. I was just pondering creating something similar when I stumbled upon this post.

I've also been thinking about creating something that I can put in my wallet, so I remember which card to use at any given time. Maybe a small label from a brother label-maker (for example) that I can stick to each credit card on a quarterly basis, or perhaps just a credit card sized cheat-sheet to keep in my wallet. With 6 cards, that change quarterly, it's hard to remember sometimes which one to use when I'm out shopping.

Anyone devise a similar system that they'd care to share?

Chase sent me a little card (about the size of a credit card but made of thick paper) that shows the Freedom card's quarterly categories for 2012. There was enough blank space on the card that I was able to write in the quarterly categories for the Discover More card and (as the information has become available) the quarterly categories for the Citi Dividend Mastercard.

For cards that don't change (that maintain the same categories all the time), I just memorize the categories.

Back a ways I put a sticker on my BP Visa, but then it wouldn't work in the pay-at-the-pump card slot. I got some type of error message when I inserted and removed it. I tried it again and it still wouldn't work. So I took the sticker off, and then it worked. So I gave up on the idea of putting stickers on cards.

BingBlangBlaow said:   Nice list OP. I believe Citi Fwd is also 5p on movies.

Added, Thanks!

I have an Android App in progress that is almost ready.

And yes, it'll be free.

With the 5% Grocery on Chase Freedom you should be able to hit the gas stations attached to those stores.

E.g. meijer and Kroger gas didn't count in Jan-Mar, so they should count now. Or, buy gift cards for your preferred gas station at the grocery store.

talljay said:   I have an Android App in progress that is almost ready.

And yes, it'll be free.

That will be nice for my wife. Not on iphone though?

imbatman said:   talljay said:   I have an Android App in progress that is almost ready.

And yes, it'll be free.

No iPhone for following reasons:
A) I don't have an iPhone
B) no simple and cheap path to develop apps for iPhone

talljay said:   imbatman said:   talljay said:   I have an Android App in progress that is almost ready.

And yes, it'll be free.

No iPhone for following reasons:
A) I don't have an iPhone
B) no simple and cheap path to develop apps for iPhone

I know a guy who might be able to do it. He's looking for ideas.

Great spreadsheet(s) maybe add a column for annual fee?

OP, I like this spreadsheet a lot. My only suggestion would be to include a row that highlights the annual fee for each card.

Isn't the Chase card usually 3 categories per quarter? Did they nerf it or something?

talljay said:   I have an Android App in progress that is almost ready.

And yes, it'll be free.

Thanks! Please keep me posted. If you already have a list of beta testers, add me to it. If you don't, then you can start with me

soccerref said:   Great spreadsheet(s) maybe add a column for annual fee?
Just implemented your request + added more info to the spreadsheet.

tag1979 said:   OP, I like this spreadsheet a lot. My only suggestion would be to include a row that highlights the annual fee for each card.
Done! spreadsheet.

thok said:   Isn't the Chase card usually 3 categories per quarter? Did they nerf it or something?

Chase Freedom has two categories for three out of four quarters in 2012. Take a look here: https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/Activate.aspx

I thought Costco was down to 2% for restaurants?

Also, I think I like the OP's spreadsheet a bit better, easier (at least for me) to read it with the categories on the rows and cards on the columns.`

I appreciate the input. I'll make the changes when I get home later tonight.

ngreen said:   I thought Costco was down to 2% for restaurants?
It is.

Nice. Now if OP and jazzboyrules will commit to update their spreadsheets every month/quarter - THAT would be awesome!

BTW, another thread posted something along similar lines, but involved a bit of coding:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1113199/

nm

wam1 said:   I like the spreadsheets. I was just pondering creating something similar when I stumbled upon this post.

I've also been thinking about creating something that I can put in my wallet, so I remember which card to use at any given time. Maybe a small label from a brother label-maker (for example) that I can stick to each credit card on a quarterly basis, or perhaps just a credit card sized cheat-sheet to keep in my wallet. With 6 cards, that change quarterly, it's hard to remember sometimes which one to use when I'm out shopping.

When I have the time (which is not always) I'd abbreviate the categories and SMS it to my phone. When I do that, I post it on FWF, as well...but I usually focus on the Citi Dividend & Chase Freedom whereas a ton of members here play a bigger game -

Perhaps we should just sticky the spreadsheets that the two members shared here, and the OPs can allow a few other members to also enter data in the spreadsheets to keep them current and relevant to a wider swath of members.

I think you got Citi Dividend wrong for Q2

Earn 5% Cash Back when you use your Citi Dividend Card from
April 1, 2012 through June 30, 2012 at:
The Home Depot and on Home Furnishing and
Home & Garden purchases once you enroll.

MoneyOCD said:   I think you got Citi Dividend wrong for Q2

I think you're right. I lumped them all into Home Improvements. I'll add Home Depot and leave
Home and Garden in Home improvements? I need to look at MCC codes for Home furnishings. Do
they really break it down to just furniture stores? Would that include BedBugs and Beyond?

FW10001 said:   wam1 said:   I like the spreadsheets. I was just pondering creating something similar when I stumbled upon this post.

When I have the time (which is not always) I'd abbreviate the categories and SMS it to my phone. When I do that, I post it on FWF, as well...but I usually focus on the Citi Dividend & Chase Freedom whereas a ton of members here play a bigger game -

Perhaps we should just sticky the spreadsheets that the two members shared here, and the OPs can allow a few other members to also enter data in the spreadsheets to keep them current and relevant to a wider swath of members.

I'd be happy to have mine editable

FW10001 said:   Nice. Now if OP and jazzboyrules will commit to update their spreadsheets every month/quarter - THAT would be awesome!

BTW, another thread posted something along similar lines, but involved a bit of coding:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1113199/

The spreadsheet is for my personal use, so that's going to stay up-to-date for sure.
If anyone wants to add their card to this spreadsheet, let me know in this thread or PM me (quicker).

If there's one spreadsheet (not a couple) that others agree they want to use, I'll update it with a whole bunch of cards.

I have little 1x2 post-it notes taped onto the back of my cards (right below the mag strip, of course), I put the 5% categories and Jan-Mar 12 or Apr-June 12 I write kinda small, so I can get all four quarters on one po

clutchcargo777 said:   MoneyOCD said:   I think you got Citi Dividend wrong for Q2

I think you're right. I lumped them all into Home Improvements. I'll add Home Depot and leave
Home and Garden in Home improvements? I need to look at MCC codes for Home furnishings. Do
they really break it down to just furniture stores? Would that include BedBugs and Beyond?

I spoke to a CSR @ Citi earlier today to get some idea of the types of stores that would qualify for the 2Q 5% Home Improvement category on the dividend platinum card. She mentioned that Home Depot, Lowes, paint stores like Sherwin-Williams and hardware stores such as Ace Hardware are included, but stores like BB&B aren't, as it is a home furnishings, not home improvement store. I think Chase Freedom had BB&B included as part of home furnishings last year and I was able to pick up some GCs there, but that isn't offered this year.

Like wam1, I used to put labels on the back of each CC. Now I use a folded cheat sheet, the size of a register receipt, in my wallet.

I write the categories on a sticker and stick it on the appropriate card.

CKritiv1 said:   clutchcargo777 said:   MoneyOCD said:   I think you got Citi Dividend wrong for Q2

I spoke to a CSR @ Citi earlier today to get some idea of the types of stores that would qualify for the 2Q 5% Home Improvement category on the dividend platinum card. She mentioned that Home Depot, Lowes, paint stores like Sherwin-Williams and hardware stores such as Ace Hardware are included, but stores like BB&B aren't, as it is a home furnishings, not home improvement store. I think Chase Freedom had BB&B included as part of home furnishings last year and I was able to pick up some GCs there, but that isn't offered this year.

Thanks. GC's was what I had in mind.

Great job to both. Maybe add a row/column for the max. reward / spend amount? For instance, Chase Freedom caps the 5% special categories reward at $1,500 of spending per quarter, correct?

bauzer71487 said:   With the 5% Grocery on Chase Freedom you should be able to hit the gas stations attached to those stores.

E.g. meijer and Kroger gas didn't count in Jan-Mar, so they should count now. Or, buy gift cards for your preferred gas station at the grocery store.

Kroger gas counted for me on my chase freedom. I think it may be the opposite come next month. I'll be buying a Kroger gift card, then using it at the pump.

dbond79 said:   Great job to both. Maybe add a row/column for the max. reward / spend amount? For instance, Chase Freedom caps the 5% special categories reward at $1,500 of spending per quarter, correct?

Great idea!

Good idea on the app; you should think about converting to HTML5 and deploying the app to the web so it won't be limited to one platform; I'd be interested in doing this if you aren't.

Discover Card (up to 1% on all other purchases):
-------------------------------
April - June
5% on Restaurants, Movies up to $1,500 in spending.

July - September
5% on Gas, Movies, Themeparks up to (TBD) in spending

Oct-Dec
5% on Department Stores, Electronics Stores, Toy Stores, Movies up to (TBD) in spending

I'm pretty sure the Microsoft Office 365 that OP used is native to Windows Phone and has apps for iPhone and Android...

Skipping 14 Messages...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014