Category Cards bonus Spreadsheet

Archived From: Finance
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
chuck75 said:   I'm pretty sure the Microsoft Office 365 that OP used is native to Windows Phone and has apps for iPhone and Android...

If it's just a spreadsheet, it can be loaded into googledocs, and there are apps for iphone/android that allow viewing/editing of googledocs.

bargainhunter3 said:   bauzer71487 said:   With the 5% Grocery on Chase Freedom you should be able to hit the gas stations attached to those stores.

E.g. meijer and Kroger gas didn't count in Jan-Mar, so they should count now. Or, buy gift cards for your preferred gas station at the grocery store.

Kroger gas counted for me on my chase freedom. I think it may be the opposite come next month. I'll be buying a Kroger gift card, then using it at the pump.

The added benefit from this approach is that Kroger has been giving me 10 cents off per gallon for each $100 spent in store. GCs have been included.

CKritiv1 said:   I spoke to a CSR @ Citi earlier today to get some idea of the types of stores that would qualify for the 2Q 5% Home Improvement category on the dividend platinum card. She mentioned that Home Depot, Lowes, paint stores like Sherwin-Williams and hardware stores such as Ace Hardware are included, but stores like BB&B aren't, as it is a home furnishings, not home improvement store. I think Chase Freedom had BB&B included as part of home furnishings last year and I was able to pick up some GCs there, but that isn't offered this year.My understanding of Citi's 2Q 5% is different. My understanding is that paint stores and hardware stores are excluded and home furnishing stores are included.

Thanks! And don't forget to maximize categories, for example buying a gas card at the grocery store to get 5% on gas this quarter.

dbond79 said:   bargainhunter3 said:   bauzer71487 said:   With the 5% Grocery on Chase Freedom you should be able to hit the gas stations attached to those stores.

E.g. meijer and Kroger gas didn't count in Jan-Mar, so they should count now. Or, buy gift cards for your preferred gas station at the grocery store.

Kroger gas counted for me on my chase freedom. I think it may be the opposite come next month. I'll be buying a Kroger gift card, then using it at the pump.

The added benefit from this approach is that Kroger has been giving me 10 cents off per gallon for each $100 spent in store. GCs have been included.

Gift cards are double points. Helpful when combining 5% grocery with gift card purchase, saves on Kroger gas. You can also buy gas cards, get the discount on Kroger gas, use the gas cards after the 5% quarter on groceries is over.

This thread makes me with there were grocery stores here that had attached gas stations with decent prices.

My app is available for anyone who wants to try it out.

Basics:
-You input your cards and their "default" rate
-You can then add specific categories of either limited or unlimited durations
-When shopping, click the "Best card for..." button to see a sorted list of the best cards for the category.
-The comparison between cards is simple, the highest number will be shown first. If you have a card that gets you 1% cash and another that gets you 10 points/$ and you value the points at $.001 then I suggest you enter the points card as 1% to make the comparison work.
-You'll need to download it directly (link below). Make sure you you allow apps from Unknown Sources (for me, Settings->Applications->Unknown Sources).

Notes:
-Yes, this is the ugliest app you've ever seen.
-This app was developed using AppInventor.
-AppInventor ALWAYS requires certain permissions. The app itself uses none of them currently. Future versions may change this but I will always be clear. Lastly, AppInventor apps are fairly large for their functionality. I can't do anything about that.
-I would be very paranoid about putting my credit card number into any app. I've coded this app to NOT ALLOW you to do this. I only allow a maximum of 4 numbers in a card nickname.

Additionally, use at your own risk, blah, blah, blah. If you find an issue, I guess you could PM me or post something here (or maybe in a new thread?) but the reality is, if it's not a problem for me, it may never get fixed. Similarly for new features.

That said, I hope people find it useful.

https://sites.google.com/site/talljayfwapps/home

Tried out your app, I did find a bug when you realize you've incorrectly put a value in the "Everything" category, you can't go back and edit it and you can make it crash if you try to delete that Everything part of the card to fix it. I know it's in a beta state so what I did is then create an Everything category and I think that's working but i've only been using it for a short time.

Anyway, thanks for doing that. If you'd rather receive PMs about it moving forward I'll go that route.

ngreen said:   Tried out your app, I did find a bug when you realize you've incorrectly put a value in the "Everything" category, you can't go back and edit it and you can make it crash if you try to delete that Everything part of the card to fix it. I know it's in a beta state so what I did is then create an Everything category and I think that's working but i've only been using it for a short time.

Anyway, thanks for doing that. If you'd rather receive PMs about it moving forward I'll go that route.

Thanks, I actually found the same issue yesterday. I used the same work-around as you, I deleted it and added and new category "Everything". I'll put it on my list of things to fix.

I just uploaded version 4. I added the ability to edit a category % (i.e. Everything). If you used the trick above (deleted Everything category) I suggest you delete that card and re-add it just to clean up your data.

I put the app on the market (and fixed a couple of bugs). Enjoy. (Yes, it's still free!)

The idea behind this app is great. What is a show stopper for me is that most special rates are limited not only in time but also in the total amount of rewards. If the app could tell me that I've already hit the monthly $500 cap on Sallie May's groceries, that would be awesome

DrXX said:   The idea behind this app is great. What is a show stopper for me is that most special rates are limited not only in time but also in the total amount of rewards. If the app could tell me that I've already hit the monthly $500 cap on Sallie May's groceries, that would be awesome

I will keep this in mind for the future. Thanks for the feedback.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014