• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I filed my taxes on March 13. Last week I received two letters from the IRS saying "We've enclosed the transcript or transcripts that you requested on March 18, 2012." They are for tax period Dec 2010, and one is "Account Transcript" the other is "Return Transcript." Anyone experience this? I plan on calling them tomorrow.

Additional info: I did get a CP2000 notice last year for my 2009 return and had to send in something (which actually ended up concluding in my favor and IRS paid me).

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Cool story bro

If the IRS employee selects the wrong option from the drop-down menu ("paper" instead of "electronic"), the taxpayer will get mailed a copy of whatever information the IRS employee was seeking. In your case, the account history and return transcript. Most likely that's what happened. The IRS is looking into your 2010 tax return.

Or someone is pretending to be you to steal your identity and obtain your financial information. But, most likely, the IRS employee made a mistake. I've made the same mistake before .

MEGAWALLET said:   If the IRS employee selects the wrong option from the drop-down menu ("paper" instead of "electronic"), the taxpayer will get mailed a copy of whatever information the IRS employee was seeking. In your case, the account history and return transcript. Most likely that's what happened. The IRS is looking into your 2010 tax return.

Or someone is pretending to be you to steal your identity and obtain your financial information. But, most likely, the IRS employee made a mistake. I've made the same mistake before .
Ah...this may make sense. A couple days after I submitted I looked up the refund status and they gave me this message:

We have received your tax return and it is being processed. Your expected refund date has been changed due to processing delays. You should receive your refund by May 1, 2012. Please wait until that date to contact us again because we cannot take any action until then. Thank you for your patience.

As of last night the message changed to:

You requested that part or all of your refund be used for a US Savings Bond(s) purchase.

...SNIP bond info...

The amount not used to purchase bonds is scheduled to be refunded by March 28, 2012.

So I suppose my account was flagged for "review" to verify identity and the IRS employee reviewed my 2010 return to verify. I remember reading about new IRS system to prevent fraudulent returns which was causing the delays.

Account and return transcripts are requested through Form 4506-T. For the copy of the actual return, you use Form 4506 (which carries a $57 charge per return).

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

I've requested a copy of the transcript previously, but never when I did not initiate the request. A different area processes this form request since it is a different mailing address than for the returns. This form is very lax in security, IMHO. All I need is your name and SSN and I can get a copy of your tax return. It is very easy to impersonate another taxpayer and get access to that person's information.

jkimcpa said:   MEGAWALLET said:   If the IRS employee selects the wrong option from the drop-down menu ("paper" instead of "electronic"), the taxpayer will get mailed a copy of whatever information the IRS employee was seeking. In your case, the account history and return transcript. Most likely that's what happened. The IRS is looking into your 2010 tax return.

Ah...this may make sense. A couple days after I submitted I looked up the refund status and they gave me this message:

We have received your tax return and it is being processed. Your expected refund date has been changed due to processing delays. You should receive your refund by May 1, 2012. Please wait until that date to contact us again because we cannot take any action until then. Thank you for your patience.

As of last night the message changed to:

You requested that part or all of your refund be used for a US Savings Bond(s) purchase.

...SNIP bond info...

The amount not used to purchase bonds is scheduled to be refunded by March 28, 2012.

So I suppose my account was flagged for "review" to verify identity and the IRS employee reviewed my 2010 return to verify. I remember reading about new IRS system to prevent fraudulent returns which was causing the delays.

Requests for copies of prior year tax filings is handled by a different office than the area that process returns. While your refund could be delayed, it should have nothing to do with information from a previous tax year unless a fraud situation is suspected. The date in May is based on processing timeframes based on receipt. If you hold a return for too long, you have to pay interest on it. All returns are probably reviewed in one form or another especially since identity theft is becoming a bigger problem now. That has been in the news recently and is becoming a larger problem with electronic filing and "speedy" refunds.

Most likely identity theft is not a concern in your case. They want to make sure you really qualify for whatever it is you claimed (FTHB, adoption credit, 7 dependents, etc.).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014