Morning After
Disclaimer

Morning After (part 2)
Disclaimer

Morning after (part 3)
Disclaimer

Night before at the end of the night
Disclaimer
I'm sure this one will go down in the annals of threads that should never have hit FWF, but I'll indulge because I might get both some practical advice and plenty of responses that are at least amusing.

This past weekend, I held a bachelor party for some friends at a hotel. Because I was hosting dinner before and planning on all the drunk people crashing, I got a large penthouse at the hotel. (Sure, it was double the cost of a regular room, but if I saved one person from trying to drive under the influence it was a good investment.)

That being said, on the morning after, the room was dirty, including popcorn all over one area floor, chicken wing bones on the floor, bottles and cans left out, overflowing trash can, vomit in two bathrooms (yes, this room had to bathrooms) and a broken bowl (the suite had dishes in it, though it was stuff the quality you could replace for $1).

Fast forward to today, the GM of the hotel called me to inform me that the room was the worst he had ever seen in his years in hotel management and they would be keeping both the $150 deposit (required for this type of room) and charging me another $150 in additional damage fees.

I'm not particularly proud of the condition I left the room in, but the way I see it, the floors were contractor grade carpet and there would be no problem vacuuming up the popcorn and miscellaneous debris. I could see two trash bags being required to get rid of all the garbage, but nothing excessive. Vomit in the bathrooms, unpleasant but I'm confident that this isn't the first time somebody has had too much to drink in that hotel.

Here's where the financial stuff comes in. When I checked out, I was told that they would keep the deposit charged on the hotel room and deduct it from the price of the room, I have a credit card receipt to this effect. The second fee was charged by the GM of the hotel and he is threatening small claims court if I don't pay as he dictates.

Here are my questions:
1. If the only actual "damage" was dirt, how am I responsible for an additional $300 in cleaning fees? Let's say they pay their staff $10/hour (generous assumption), that would mean their staff would be spending three working days cleaning the room. This is in addition to the fact that some amount of the room charge has to cover housekeeping as an expense. Myself and my girlfriend could clean the place in an afternoon.

2. Can/should I dispute any of the transactions with AMEX, especially because my documents will directly contradict theirs?

3. If I do dispute these transactions with AMEX and they do take me to small claims court (as they have threatened), can I be held responsible for any additional fees incurred due to those disputes?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
IMHO $300 is pretty light for that kind of damage. I think you got off easy.

gtalum (Apr. 06, 2012 @ 9:37p) |

Oddly enough, that isn't the first time it happened. Here is another story from 1998. Maybe it will become a trend!

htt... (more)

aadam101 (Apr. 07, 2012 @ 2:36a) |

ppl will go start faith hilling around in their vaseline'd hotel rooms

jd2010 (Apr. 07, 2012 @ 6:08a) |

Diet Ginger Ale??
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If they actually spend 3 days cleaning (unlikely?), that's 3 days of lost income on that room too. (This is not meant to be an opinion on whether you should be charged, just pointing out something you seem to have missed in your cost analysis)

If it was so easy/cheap to cleanup, then why didn't you do it yourself before you checked out?

Any reason you didn't clean up your mess before you checked out?

Are you close to either NYC or LA? This sounds like prime material for Judge Judy or People's Court in lieu of small claims.

I would try to settle this for the $150 deposit.
ETA: Need pics for more advice.

psm321 - They pointed that out to me too that they were losing revenue from this room. I pointed out (and have screenshots to the effect) that because they have similar rooms that are open, so they are not losing any revenue because if I had never had the party they still wouldn't have made a penny off of the room.

vegas/NotSoHard - My options were to check out, go home and go back to bed (which I did). Due to the hangover I had at that point, throwing myself off the balcony and ending it all was a close second. The idea of spending time cleaning the room was somewhere below that.

BigManonCampus said:   psm321 - They pointed that out to me too that they were losing revenue from this room. I pointed out (and have screenshots to the effect) that because they have similar rooms that are open, so they are not losing any revenue because if I had never had the party they still wouldn't have made a penny off of the room.

vegas/NotSoHard - My options were to check out, go home and go back to bed (which I did). Due to the hangover I had at that point, throwing myself off the balcony and ending it all was a close second. The idea of spending time cleaning the room was somewhere below that.

I'd bet there are other messes you failed to note other than the ones you listed here. Carpet cleaning, couch steaming, window curtain, etc. In that big fancy room of yours, there are probably a lot of things that can be stained by food/drinks by your drunken buddies which you did not notice.

I think 300 is not a far stretch from actual cost.

The GM probably documented the case better than you did, even if the case does go to court, you're probably SOL.

BigManonCampus said:    (Sure, it was double the cost of a regular room, but if I saved one person from trying to drive under the influence it wasn't a good investment.)
Wasn't?

BigManonCampus said:   psm321 - They pointed that out to me too that they were losing revenue from this room. I pointed out (and have screenshots to the effect) that because they have similar rooms that are open, so they are not losing any revenue because if I had never had the party they still wouldn't have made a penny off of the room.

You could've atleast made an effort, and maybe picked up the wing bones or something... I'm assuming you just quietly checked out and left, and didnt even have the courtesy of letting them know what was being left behind for them?

Heck, a simple request for cleaning supplies to take care of the bathrooms or a vacuum for the floor would likely have resulted in them telling you it was ok and they'd take care of it, and thanking you for the advance warning of their having to spend some extra time on that room. I'm guessing half the reason they're pissed is because this prevented the housekeeping crew from doing what they were supposed to be doing - try to rationalize the cost all you want, what wasnt getting done because of you is as significant as what they had to do because of you.

$300 seems like a small price to pay for being an ahole. You should have cleaned up your mess yourself, you expect someone else to spend the day cleaning up your vomit and lord knows what else you left them that is the least you could do along with a written apology for acting like a bunch of immature idiots.

But hey you're the "bigmanoncampus" just so happens your no man but just a boy.

Ask the GM for a detailed account/description of how he arrived at $300. "It was really dirty so $300" isn't acceptable. If he takes you to small claims, he'll have to explain to a judge why it's $300. If some time has passed, ask for pictures of the supposed damage too.

I'd tell them to take the security deposit and not to bother you again. Unless you punched holes in the wall, damaged furniture/electronics, or clogged the bathrooms, then the deposit should be enough to cover additional cleaning costs.

It doesnt sound too out of the ordinary, was this a major name hotel? anyone take pics of the condition of the room? I understand you probably werent in the frame of mind to document it.

The popcorn and vomit arent uncommon, assuming the vomit was confined to bathroom
chicken wing bones in the living area floor maybe a bit over the top.

Id negotiate the $300 down to $150 and call it a day, otherwise invite the manager to file the small claims action and do not authorize one penny to be charged.

This thread is useless without pics. We just have your side of the story which is likely to be biased. Also, with a hangover it is not possible to spot and retain all the details of the "mayhem". The least you could have done is taken a few pictures before you checked out so you could dispute stuff.

Under the circumstances, I would pay the $300 and move on.

The last bachelor party I went to, we flooded the hotel room, carpets had to be removed from the room and the 2 adjoining rooms. It cost us a lot more than $300, although I was able to successfully negotiate a reduction in the lost revenue from Rack rate to the price we paid (Priceline). I'd be glad the damage wasn't that bad, and they are only charging you for $300. Of course you could request an itemized list and try to reduce the amount you pay, but there is no guarantee they won't inflate the costs of the repairs.

In the future if you know your going to wreak a hotel room use a prepaid visa card to put the deposit (and expect to lose it).

What kind of room has a separate $150 damage deposit? I say they had you pegged from the minute you made the reservation and invoked the $150 This Guy Is Going To Be An Asshat deposit. You proved them right, now pay up.

EDIT: FWF way to host a bachelor party - let someone else make the reservations.

A few updates:

1. I'm not particularly proud of the condition of the room. All of this being said, I've thrown parties with this particular group of friends (plus another fifty) a lot in the last several years. This isn't particularly typical for that group.

2. From the room terms and conditions: "**Please be aware that reservations for Penthouse Suites require a credit card for payment (no cash, checks or debit cards). In addition to Room & Tax, a $150 refundable deposit is required at check-in. " So, it wasn't that they had me pegged from the beginning, everybody gets to pay that deposit.

3. This is an independent hotel, there is only this one, so there is no "corporate" I can appeal to.

4. In terms of 'actual damage', I have a call with the GM and executive housekeeper tomorrow, should be fun. Maybe I'll post the audio of it as well as pics when I get them from another guest (who told me he did have pics).

5. There was no damage that I am aware of, no holes in walls, all electronics in the same condition as check in, etc.

6. Sadly they wouldn't let me put the room and deposit on a prepaid visa, I thought of that myself.

As a general rule, if there is a deposit, take pictures before and after. Otherwise you have nothing to contest with. No matter how sick I felt (and how little I wanted to deal with it) I could at least snap a few pics on the way out.

I'd say accept you lost the money and call it a lesson.

BigManonCampus said:   

3. This is an independent hotel, there is only this one, so there is no "corporate" I can appeal to.

f.

This was the fatal move. When it comes to hotels, rental cars etc you can't get away with anything at the small independent shops

At the major chains you can get away with murder (or a new set of tires for your car) and no one will notice

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   BigManonCampus said:   

f.

This was the fatal move. When it comes to hotels, rental cars etc you can't get away with anything at the small independent shops

At the major chains you can get away with murder (or a new set of tires for your car) and no one will notice

Oh, man. New tires for a car stripped off a rental. I never even thought of that. Not sure I want to be of the mindset to think of that, though.

VentureScout said:   Oh, man. New tires for a car stripped off a rental. I never even thought of that. Not sure I want to be of the mindset to think of that, though.

Where do you think they came up with the storylines for the Hangover movies?

They should have called them "The SiS Files".

Now updated, with pics! There's no pics of upstairs, because that was in good condition (except for the one bathroom that was puked in. Again, unfortunate, but since it was in the toilet (around the toilet area) and not on walls, ceilings, showers, etc. I don't feel horribly bad about it, they've seen it before).

I think your 150 is rightfully gone but an additional may be pushing it if no physical damage is present. The hotel would have to prove actual loss by receipt for replacing or repairing damaged items or inability to rent the room and that is hard to do for just "dirt".

Next time, have your boys chip in $20 each for the cleanup fee. Or better yet, just tip housekeeping $50, she'll do it all by herself and never let management know.

Green for pics.

Sounds like you got off easy, considering their cleaning cost and that the room has to sit empty for an extra day. Next time don't be such an a-hole, and make your 50 friends split the cost.

What I want to know is where is the monkey and naked asian guy On a serious note, I would be ashamed of leaving a room in that condition.

BigManonCampus said:   Myself and my girlfriend could clean the place in an afternoon.

Perhaps.

But you chose not to.

+1 for providing pics the GM can use in small claims court to support his case.

So they deducted the $150 deposit from the room price, so you got the deposit back, then got charged another $150 to bring the damage total to $300 - thinking you had already paid the $150 deposit?

On another note, maybe they should just be happy you didnt leave the fat guy passed out dead in the entryway...

BEEFjerKAY - He has pics of his own, I'm confident.

Glitch - The way things have come together so far: Paid for the room + $150 deposit. Upon checking out, they only charged me room cost - $150 deposit (essentially refunded it). Today, there is a pending charge for a $150 damage fee, the full cost of the room and the $150 deposit. We'll see if the pending charge for the room gets dropped by $150. If it does, I think I'll take it and run.

I don't see what the harm is... it's not like you left a tiger in the bathroom.

money2011 said:   

Or better yet, just tip housekeeping $50, she'll do it all by herself and never let management know.

Even $20 to the housekeeper would have kept her quiet

It looks bad, with all the popcorn and bottles etc... but as long as the carpet didn't require cleaning , that is fairly typical bachelor party mess. If the carpet needed cleaning I'd agree to the $150 only. I don't see $300 unless there's something else wrong

Looks like nothing a garbage can and vacuum couldn't take care of.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   money2011 said:   

Or better yet, just tip housekeeping $50, she'll do it all by herself and never let management know.

It looks bad, with all the popcorn and bottles etc... but as long as the carpet didn't require cleaning , that is fairly typical bachelor party mess. If the carpet needed cleaning I'd agree to the $150 only. I don't see $300 unless there's something else wrong

As a note, I left a $50 on the kitchen counter for the housekeeper. I'm not a complete dick. It apparently didn't keep her very quiet.

BEEFjerKAY said:   VentureScout said:   Oh, man. New tires for a car stripped off a rental. I never even thought of that. Not sure I want to be of the mindset to think of that, though.

Where do you think they came up with the storylines for the Hangover movies?

They should have called them "The SiS Files".

In the SIs files , it's naked Asian girls , not little naked Asian guys . They had to Change the story up a bit

You're lucky they're only charging you $300 for damages. If they wanted to be an A-Hole just like you, they'll have their representatives want new carpeting, dishes, toilets etc.

BigManonCampus said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   money2011 said:   

As a note, I left a $50 on the kitchen counter for the housekeeper. I'm not a complete dick. It apparently didn't keep her very quiet.
that's low. She violated the bro code

Then tell management you left a cash deposit for the cleanup in the room, and if the housekeeper didn't give it to management press charges on her for theft

Play hardball.

Did you hear about the guy who covered his entire hotel room with vasaline? Imagine the cleaning that one would take, not sure if they ever will be able to use the room again.

http://dailyhaggis.com/2004/05/17/man-arrested-after-coating-hot...

Maybe there was a disposal fee for that dead guy in the orange shirt. He looks like a load to carry out.

When you say vomit in two bathrooms, I'm assuming you're talking about the standard bachelor party vomit everywhere style?

Also one of the maids probably threw her back out hauling off the passed out guy in the red shirt.

Skipping 120 Messages...
aadam101 said:   jeremya7 said:   Did you hear about the guy who covered his entire hotel room with vasaline? Imagine the cleaning that one would take, not sure if they ever will be able to use the room again.

http://dailyhaggis.com/2004/05/17/man-arrested-after-coating-hot...

Oddly enough, that isn't the first time it happened. Here is another story from 1998. Maybe it will become a trend!

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=FuBEAAAAIBAJ&sjid=y7YMAAAAI...

ppl will go start faith hilling around in their vaseline'd hotel rooms

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014