• Text Only
Voting History
rated:
There seem to be multiple signing bonuses for Citi ThankYou Preferred. Here is an interesting one that reminds me of the Chase AARP card. (Dead, URL now has 15k points after spending $1k in 3 months, and 1% TYP back).

So you can apply for this card, spend it up, then redeem your ThankYou points.

If you prefer a bigger signing bonus instead of 5% on everything for 6 months, see here for $250 signing bonus.

Example redemptions: transfer to ThankYou premier and buy flights for 25% off.
Get various gift cards at 1:1 or sometimes better.

Edit: fixed URL to "Best way to use Citi Thank You Points" thread.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
FYI, it appears that they actually based the TY bonus points on Applied date not approval date. According to approval d... (more)

ironfist99 (Nov. 18, 2012 @ 3:25p) |

I had the opposite experience. My approval was deferred for a few days after my application date and I got bonus points... (more)

xerty (Nov. 18, 2012 @ 5:14p) |

That's odd. Did you have more than 6 statements? I received no bonus points on my 7th statement, even though 11 days s... (more)

ironfist99 (Nov. 18, 2012 @ 6:09p) |

• Also categorized in:

This is definitely the preferred ThankYou card now. Thanks OP!

Edit: it turns out I'm blind. No limit on points, thanks guys!

Floydian said:   Anyone know if either this has unlimited TY points earning, or is there a limit on the TY points you can earn per year? I looked through the T&Cs and didn't see anything. TIA

It is right there at the top in bold "No expiration and no limit on the number of ThankYou Points you can earn"

In for one. I didn't see any cap on the 5% earning. This will be a beast when combined with the discounted airfare redemptions for those with TY premier cards.

i think it is 33% more for airfare using thank you points

Does this card have 'rotating 5%' like we have on Freedom/Discover ? I have never had Citi CC.

Better than AARP card when redeeming for flights for those of us with the Premier card as well. Thanks OP.

im not a traveler, dont have a Premier nor am I willing to pay that AF for it. I guess my best redemption option is WalMart gift cards or am I missing something?

nwill002 said:   im not a traveler, dont have a Premier nor am I willing to pay that AF for it. I guess my best redemption option is WalMart gift cards or am I missing something?

So apparently there is a thread for that: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/596403/

hansp said:   Does this card have 'rotating 5%' like we have on Freedom/Discover ? I have never had Citi CC.

Yes:

Q2 2012 - Everything

Q3 2012 - Everything

Q4 2012 - Who Cares? (see above)

Cash redemption for ThankYou point is not 1 to 1. If you redeem, 25,000 points it comes out to $175. The $250 signing bonus is for gift cards I think. 5% does sweeten the deal, but its not the same as Chase or AARP 5% back. I'm staying away from Citi in general for their lousy customer service and shady tax practices.

good to use it to pay property tax!!

I was asking in the context if i go with sign up bonus, Sorry i should have mentioned.

BrlDsguise said:   hansp said:   Does this card have 'rotating 5%' like we have on Freedom/Discover ? I have never had Citi CC.

Yes:

Q2 2012 - Everything

Q3 2012 - Everything

Q4 2012 - Who Cares? (see above)

Already have a ThankYou Preferred card from a long time ago (5-6 years ago). Any clues if citi lets you have 2 cards of the same type?

I did this a few months back. $500 reward for spending $2500 in 3 months. Easy 20% on my money.

Thanks for the info.

Oh man, going to get my popcorn before this thread explodes

Probably dont want to mess with them since i dont want to loose VCCs (excellent function far better than discover) and oldest trade line if them shut me down fully like chase from AARP

sun818 said:   Cash redemption for ThankYou point is not 1 to 1. If you redeem, 25,000 points it comes out to $175. The $250 signing bonus is for gift cards I think. 5% does sweeten the deal, but its not the same as Chase or AARP 5% back. I'm staying away from Citi in general for their lousy customer service and shady tax practices.
Yes, Citi is evil, they got bailed out! Everyone should stay away lest they get inflated 1099s, get audited by the IRS, lose their house! Stay away! It's a trap!

Is this MC?

amitgu said:   Already have a ThankYou Preferred card from a long time ago (5-6 years ago). Any clues if citi lets you have 2 cards of the same type?
I have another ThankYou Preferred and was instantly approved for this offer. With all of the recent product consolidations, I also have 2 Thank You Premier cards and will soon have 2 Forward cards (among several other Citi Cards). Doubling up doesn't seem to be a problem.

I feel like this should be said here as well:

FKAKS said:   Can I be first to recommend... NO DIRECT LINKS FROM THIS SITE!

Also:

citi said: APPLY NOW
Offer ends on 5/3/12

Citi credit cards is well known for classifying any 'financial' equivalent as a cash advance with extra fees and no reward points.
So be careful here with the 'usual' AARP-type methods of getting lotsa 5% points fast.

sloppy1 said:   Citi credit cards is well known for classifying any 'financial' equivalent as a cash advance with extra fees and no reward points.
So be careful here with the 'usual' AARP-type methods of getting lotsa 5% points fast.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'll even try with this. There are some good sign up bonuses that I can use the spend on. However, I wouldn't mind going on a few mor cruises this year... Wonder if Citi would pick up on a $12k charge from a cruise line.

Also, for those used to the AARP card. Don't forget that this card is not 0% APR.

Instant Approval thanks OP!

sloppy1 said:   Citi credit cards is well known for classifying any 'financial' equivalent as a cash advance with extra fees and no reward points.

Will Citi drop your Cash Advance limit to zero or a very low amount if you ask?

mattun said:   Will Citi drop your Cash Advance limit to zero or a very low amount if you ask?

They did on my Forward card through secure message.

My spidey sense tells me the demise of the only lucrative redemption option will be removed in the near future.

swintec said:   My spidey sense tells me the demise of the only lucrative redemption option will be removed in the near future.
They killed it before and it came back, however now it competes with the discounted flights so it shouldn't be as much of a target as it originally was.

centrifuge41 said:   
If you prefer a bigger signing bonus instead of 5% on everything for 6 months, see here for $250 signing bonus.

Actually there is one that $200 signing bonus after you spent $700. Which seems better than the $250 after you spend $2000 for people that don't spend a lot or use different card for different things.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1165204/

Any restrictions for business purchases?

Any restrictions for business purchases?

capnkidd said:   Any restrictions for business purchases?
Yes, all personal cards say in the terms for personal use only..
Use for business will often lead to adverse action.

So no Amazon?

ZapperO said:   sloppy1 said:   Citi credit cards is well known for classifying any 'financial' equivalent as a cash advance with extra fees and no reward points.

So no Amazon?

My advice? Set your cash advance limit to zero and try a small transaction first, say $100.

ZapperO said:   So no Amazon?Amzn worked on Citi Forward, earning 1% TYP. YMMV with ThankYou Preferred.

Any considerations for consolidating card lines from other Citi Cards into this one?

^^^
I applied for this card and was told to call in to give further information. When a provided it, I was approved but for a low limit (seems I'm right at the exposure limit Citi is comfortable with). The CSR asked me if I wanted to move some of my CL from other cards to this one. I agreed and it was done in about 5 minutes.

peteypablo said:   ZapperO said:   sloppy1 said:   Citi credit cards is well known for classifying any 'financial' equivalent as a cash advance with extra fees and no reward points.

So no Amazon?

My advice? Set your cash advance limit to zero and try a small transaction first, say $100.

I tried Amazon Payments with the Forward card a year or two ago and there was no Cash Advance fee, but I only received 1% (was hoping for 5% because it was Amazon).

I haven't used TYP before so I wasn't familiar with them, and I'm mostly interested in getting cash rather than gift cards. It looks like they can be redeemed for cash at a rate of 8,000 TYP for $50, which would give you 3.125% CashBack on purchases for the first 6 months. So even if you can't find gift cards that you'd use, this is still a good deal. Or you can get gift cards and then sell them on Plastic Jungle, which should give you a higher percentage overall for a little bit of your time.

Skipping 222 Messages...
xerty said:   ironfist99 said:   FYI, it appears that they actually based the TY bonus points on Applied date not approval date. According to approval date and the "Member Since" date in the Cash Back details I should have received bonus CashBack for my purchases up till the 27th of October. However, I did not receive any bonus points for any purcahses past the 16th of October (the date I applied)
I had the opposite experience. My approval was deferred for a few days after my application date and I got bonus points through the "member since"/approval date.

That's odd. Did you have more than 6 statements? I received no bonus points on my 7th statement, even though 11 days should have included the bonus. Also, I was declined and had to call the reconsideration line a few times before I was able to get the card. I was finally approved on the same day that they removed the promotion, so I'm wondering if they backdated my acceptance or something. Since I couldn't get a straight answer via secured message, I went light over this period, so its not worth the risk of AA to try and get my bonus points back.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014