• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I saw this posted elsewhere and thought it might interest folks here.

The HI version of the card is limited to HI residents, but the CA version is open to California, Nevada, Oregon or Washington residents.

CA version:

http://www.jcbusa.com/card_marukaica_prem.html

HI version:

http://www.jcbusa.com/card_marukaihi_prem.html

Before someone says JCB is not accepted many places let me say that over 5 million merchants accept it and in the USA it is accepted anywhere Discover cards are accepted.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I heard the limits are low. Anybody getting over $5000?

mattun (Oct. 30, 2012 @ 5:02p) |

The max limit they offer is $12,000.

rama13 (Oct. 30, 2012 @ 10:33p) |

I've tried to use this card at a few places that accept Discover, but it did not work. Examples include Target (B&M), s... (more)

ironfist99 (Nov. 11, 2012 @ 7:40p) |

Open to Hawaii, California, Nevada, Oregon or Washington residents only.

・ Earn up to 1% Cash Back points* on first $1,000 yearly, and
・ Earn up to 2% Cash Back points* on next $2,000 yearly, and
・ Earn up to 3% Cash Back points* on over $3,000 yearly.
・ Earn additional $15 bonus** when you spend $1,000 or more yearly, or
・ Earn additional $50 bonus** when you spend $5,000 or more yearly.

$25 annual fee, waived first year.

Applications must be mailed (they no longer accept emailed/scanned/faxed applications). Reports of pulling EX and both TU and EX
  • Also categorized in:

・Earn up to 1% Cash Back points* on first $1,000 yearly, and
・Earn up to 2% Cash Back points* on next $2,000 yearly, and
・Earn up to 3% Cash Back points* on over $3,000 yearly.

If you are not a Marukai member, you will be automatically enrolled in the Marukai Membership program upon approval of your credit application. The Marukai Membership is a separate program from the Marukai Premium JCB Card. However, for your convenience, your renewal Marukai membership charge will be automatically charged to your Marukai JCB Card account at the anniversary date of your Marukai Premium JCB Card. Marukai Corporation currently provides the Marukai Premium JCB Card feature of regular-fee regular Marukai memberships charged at $10.00 annually.

There's also a cash-back bonus of $50 for spending more then 5k a year and an annual fee (besides the Marukai membership) of $15. The cash-back bonus more then covers the annuals fees. First 3k spend is 1.66% Cash Back, everything else is 3%- that's a pretty great deal. For those that don't live on the west coast, if you have a good friend or family member you might be able to get them to get the card and add you as an authorized user.

OP, please update thread title to reflect limited availability, i.e. only available to residents of Hawaii, California, Nevada, Oregon or Washington.

Thanks OP. Only good "Hawaii Specific" deal I've ever seen since moving here. Hopefully they don't cancel account when I move in a few months.

Kuhawkdave said:   Thanks OP. Only good "Hawaii Specific" deal I've ever seen since moving here. Hopefully they don't cancel account when I move in a few months.

You're welcome

By the way, JCB pulls Experian.

OP, do you have any experience using the card online or with reluctant merchants? Amaz0n for example? At a restaurant, I'm guessing just say, "Run it like a Discover".

Kuhawkdave said:   OP, do you have any experience using the card online or with reluctant merchants? Amaz0n for example? At a restaurant, I'm guessing just say, "Run it like a Discover".

First of all, Amazon takes JCB natively (it is one if the listed cards on the US site).

JCB is a traditional T&L card from my perspective (like the old AMEX days and Diners).

I would literally print this page out and carry it with you everywhere.

http://www.discovernetwork.com/common/pdf/JCBCardIdentificationG...

There is a similar page for using Discover on the UnionPay network in China.

Rasheed

I'll take 3 pounds of fresh Ahi please

Have a (different) JCB card. Works most everywhere I've tried to use it, though the places that are Visa/MC-only obviously aren't so good. Mainly sit-down restaurants, some hotels, etc (the one I have has some travel benefits I like). Am 99% sure it works wherever Discover is accepted, and LOTS of places accept JCB (i.e. have logo on door/register)...am guessing most folks don't pay attention to the various logos plastered at checkout.

Great deal but how are people sending the application? Emailing a raw pdf with enough info to destroy your life from a sniffer isn't very safe.

vegetation said:   Great deal but how are people sending the application? Emailing a raw pdf with enough info to destroy your life from a sniffer isn't very safe.
Guess you've never dealt with emailing mortgage docs.?

Stop being paranoid

You can also call in, if you trust phones

I don't trust phones or the Post Office. Gonna have to do this one in-person. It's the only way to be sure.

qcumber98 said:   I don't trust phones or the Post Office. Gonna have to do this one in-person. It's the only way to be sure.
Are you going to fly to japan to apply in person ? Better take a berlitz language course so you can answer the application questions correctly

Japan would be fun but they also have a head office and branch in L.A.

store locations --- this is a very good membership store for japanese and asian food and other things

Market Place: 1020 Auahi Street, Ward Farmers Market, Honolulu, HI 96814
Wholesale Mart: 2310 Kamehameha Hwy., Honolulu, HI 96819

Gardena: 1740 West Artesia Blvd., Gardena, CA 90248
Costa Mesa: 2975 Harbor Blvd., Costa Mesa, CA 92626
West Covina: 1420 South Azusa Ave., West Covina, CA 91791
West LA: 12121 West Pico Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90064
Little Tokyo: 123 S. Onizuka St., #105, Los Angeles, CA 90013
Marukai Pacific Market: 3760 Centinela Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90066
Torrance: 3832 Sepulveda Blvd, Torrance, CA 90505
San Diego: 8125 Balboa Ave, San Diego, CA 92111
Cupertino: 19750 Stevens Creek Blvd Cupertino, CA 95014

I don't live in one of those states, but this looks like a great deal if you are tired of buying gift cards at the grocery store.

How come when I click to see which us merchants accept this card http://www.jcbusa.com/info_nationalmerchant.html, they specify which online retailers accept this card? I thought this card is accepted wherever discover is, whether it's online or not. I ask because I plan to double dip this card with fort knox. TIA. And before anyone asks about fort knox, search this forum.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   vegetation said:   Great deal but how are people sending the application? Emailing a raw pdf with enough info to destroy your life from a sniffer isn't very safe.
Guess you've never dealt with emailing mortgage docs.?

Stop being paranoid

You can also call in, if you trust phones


Guess you never saw an IT guy snooping around a server and reading your emails.

The IT guy can but who's stopping an employee from stealing your personal info after you apply in person!?

Boat-load of people have access to our personal info anyway. You really think all companies purge / shred everything they don't need and safeguard / lock up everything that they do keep!?

vegetation said:   Guess you never saw an IT guy snooping around a server and reading your emails.

It's called access control implemented through encryption. Raw unencrypted email is inherently very weak.

Good point about safeguard comment - that only further strengthens how a poorly thought out plan of customer submissions only makes the risk factor increase.


wesleman said:   The IT guy can but who's stopping an employee from stealing your personal info after you apply in person!?

Boat-load of people have access to our personal info anyway. You really think all companies purge / shred everything they don't need and safeguard / lock up everything that they do keep!?

vegetation said:   Guess you never saw an IT guy snooping around a server and reading your emails.

vegetation said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   vegetation said:   Great deal but how are people sending the application? Emailing a raw pdf with enough info to destroy your life from a sniffer isn't very safe.
Guess you've never dealt with emailing mortgage docs.?

Stop being paranoid

You can also call in, if you trust phones


Guess you never saw an IT guy snooping around a server and reading your emails.

Don't send your application from your work computer where your it guy monitors outgoing emails

unless you send the app from your actual work email server like outlook then even that is extremely unlikely.

At $4000 yearly spending, the Priceline 2% card comes out on top if you factor in the AF which is waived first year. At $5000 the JCB card will be well ahead but atleast for me I dont think I can spend that much on non 5% categories at places that will actually take this JCB card.

nwill002 said:   At $4000 yearly spending, the Priceline 2% card comes out on top if you factor in the AF which is waived first year. At $5000 the JCB card will be well ahead but atleast for me I dont think I can spend that much on non 5% categories at places that will actually take this JCB card.

I charge 10K or more a month so the 3% on this card can be useful.

Wow. Haven't seen a 3% no limit card.. ever? Closest was the 3x TY Citi AMEX Plat. Wish this was nationwide (but I guess then the FW effect would kill it.)

nwill002 said:   unless you send the app from your actual work email server like outlook then even that is extremely unlikely.

FWIW, JCB is not alone in the old fashion application process.

The JP Morgan Chase Palladium Card application form is submitted by mail, fax or email. In part, this is because your signature needs to be recorded so it can be etched onto the back of the card.

not sure how that relates but i guess i should clarify what i meant. its extremely unlikely that someone in your job's IT department will be able to sniff out an email that wasnt sent through your job's email server.

nwill002 said:   not sure how that relates but i guess i should clarify what i meant. its extremely unlikely that someone in your job's IT department will be able to sniff out an email that wasnt sent through your job's email server.

I concur with you. I was merely pointing out JCB is not unique.

Anyone who has gotten this card -- can you confirm if the card has a chip and pin (EMV) on it? The picture on the website shows a chipped card, but I saw some discussion on another forum (flyertalk) that seemed to indicate that the JCB USA cards do not have a chip.

(I'd love to get this card with a chip to be able to use it when I travel abroad).

I think the JCB card with the EMV chip is only their plain vanilla card, not this one. But please correct me if I am mistaken on that.

Also note that JCB calculates Cash Back by rounding down to the nearest $100 in net purchases for each statement.

Does anyone know if this card has forex fee?

What does Marukai membership give you, discounts on groceries? Are they significant? Has anyone checked if this gives pts with Amazon Payments?

I think you can still get a sack of rice if you apply in store.

Just an update, although their website claims to email the application, they require you to mail it. Also they pulled both TU and EX for me.

edit: Approved, super low 3K limit.

Approved? Limit?

Has anyone found an online banking site for JCB? Can't seem to find one. With my small limit, it's going to be rather annoying to pay mid cycle if there is no online site to check my available balance and make payments.

They are currently testing their online access site and don't have an ETA for when it will go live.

Call me psychic but my senses are making me think that after the FW applicant storm they quickly regress to the 2% or less CashBack model.

Skipping 4 Messages...
I've tried to use this card at a few places that accept Discover, but it did not work. Examples include Target (B&M), some local restaurants, and Snapfish. Some places show "declined", other show "invalid card number". Anyone figured out a work around? Amazon purchases work fine.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014