• Go to page :
  • 1 234
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Qualifications for checking account apply. New checking account must be opened by 5/31/12. Three (3) consecutive payroll direct deposits of at least $500 each to the new checking account must be received by 7/31/12 to earn bonus. Bonus will be credited to memberís NWFCU checking account on the business day following the third deposit of $500 or greater. Limited time offer effective 4/1/2012. Offer is not transferable to other Northwest Federal members.

http://www.nwfcu.org/happy/

Copy and paste; do not link.

Anyone can qualify for membership by choosing to join FAN for $10.00 fee. Fee will be added at new account funding page.

Start by following "Open your checking account online now".

Choose Basic Checking Ė A simple, no fee, no minimum balance account

Credit Card / Debit Card initial account funding (Maximum amount allowed: $5,000.00 )

Possibly Soft Experian Inquiry but info not verified. Correction: As reported hard pull from Experian.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Which ACH qualify as DD? ING. Anything else?

SegaRob (Jan. 01, 2013 @ 6:55p) |

GLCU did for me.

BingBlangBlaow (Jan. 01, 2013 @ 7:04p) |

Link doesn't. Dead?

SegaRob (Jan. 01, 2013 @ 7:13p) |

VISA/Mastercard funding up to $5,000

Experian Hard pull
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Routine questions.

1. Hard pull to join? (I know you don't know yet)
2. Does an ACH push count as a DD?

clutchcargo777 said:   Routine questions.

1. Hard pull to join? (I know you don't know yet)
2. Does an ACH push count as a DD?
Yes, they pull Equifax. I don't know about the ACH part.

Is this targeted? They mention "we hope the dollar we mailed to you brought a smile to your face."

Did you fund with credit card? Was it treated as cash advance?

Note that Northwest FCU was originally just the CIA employees' credit union. They refer to CIA as simply "The Agency" (not by its name) on their employer field of membership web page*, which is amusing since the NWFCU's history isn't exactly a secret. (CIA traitor Aldrich Ames was actually depositing some of his KGB payments at NWFCU, according to the FBI investigation). There are also a number of large corporate organizations that if your employer is a member of, you can qualify to be a member of NWFCU. (E.g. Employees of Verizon, Ernst & Young, Microsoft, NACHA, Qualcomm, and hundreds more).

ucfzf10: Is it confirmed that the Equifax pull is a hard pull and not soft, and is it the same result for opening an account at a branch vs online or phone? Thanks.

* www.nwfcu.org/membership/description.html#agency

Just applied for NWFCU membership -- was told it would be reviewed.

I see there's an option to open a checking account directly during the CU membership opening process, but I don't know if that would render the $300 bonus offer invalid?

Also see option to fund the NWFCU savings account with CC, up to $5k, but I don't know if my CC issuer would treat it as a cash advance

Their site is a little confusing - if you choose "open your checking account online now" through that link then click "start now," you get sent to online banking. You have to have a username or an account number to do anything here though, which most of us won't have. It looks like you have to apply for membership first through http://www.nwfcu.org/membership/default.html (no clicky link, copy/paste please) before you can actually apply for the account.

Also applied and application under review now. Not sure whether have something to do with the identity questions. Will call next Monday to check.

Anyone can fully complete the account opening process?

jcd123 said:   Also applied and application under review now. Not sure whether have something to do with the identity questions. Will call next Monday to check.

Anyone can fully complete the account opening process?

I actually open a checking account directly during the CU membership opening process, so need to check to see if it is valid.

NEDeals said:   

ucfzf10: Is it confirmed that the Equifax pull is a hard pull and not soft, and is it the same result for opening an account at a branch vs online or phone? Thanks.

* www.nwfcu.org/membership/description.html#agency
It was hard pull. I applied online.

NEDeals said:   There are also a number of large corporate organizations that if your employer is a member of, you can qualify to be a member of NWFCU. (E.g. Employees of Verizon, Ernst & Young, Microsoft, NACHA, Qualcomm, and hundreds more).I see their member companies but MSFT and Verizon aren't on there. It sounds like you are referring to something else (details?).

drsauce said:   Is this targeted? They mention "we hope the dollar we mailed to you brought a smile to your face."

Did you fund with credit card? Was it treated as cash advance?

They mailed a dollar to members without checking accounts with the information. Today I received another brochure with a $2 bill in it.

Applied and was approved as a new member. However, I still have to print, sign, and mail in a physical copy of the application. I live in CA.

Also, I got a hard pull to Experian.

monto888 said:   ...

Also see option to fund the NWFCU savings account with CC, up to $5k, but I don't know if my CC issuer would treat it as a cash advance
You might try the old trick of using a Penfed VISA. If treated as a purchase it has only a 1% cash-back, but if treated as a cash advance it has no cash advance fee, so there is no real downside. Note that the last time I used mine in this way, Penfed treated it as a purchase.

Are you sure this is not targeted?

There was an earlier thread about NWFCU members receiving a dollar bill in the mail:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1186230/

So there's definitely some kind of promotion going on, but it's hard to tell whether it's available to all members (who don't yet have a checking account) or a more limited subset.

for those that don't know, NWFCU is in northern VA and I work right next to one of their branch's. I will go to the branch office to get more details and update this thread

Thanks for that, especially if you could find out about ACH deposits counting as DD that would be extremely helpful for many people here.

There was a thread last year on NWFCU 100 dollar bonus with the same question however, no one answered it

http://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/2011/05/100-checking-account...

"Thank you for your interest in joining Northwest Federal Credit Union. We are currently reviewing your application. A Member Service Representative will be in contact with you shortly to complete your request."

Seems just like the Hanscom deal.

Edit to say happened when I attempted to a open savings account. I did get online username and password this way, which I will use to open a checking account after approval.

Not sure if my $5,000 opening deposit from credit card could have triggered this as well...

CIA credit union checks people seeking accounts carefully? Why am I not surprised.

Signed up and approved... Sent a secure message asking if I qualify for the bonus. Will keep you posted on the response. fyi, I live in OR.

Shufflindoh said:   Signed up and approved... Sent a secure message asking if I qualify for the bonus. Will keep you posted on the response. fyi, I live in OR.

Did you fund with credit card? If so, how much?

BingBlangBlaow said:   Shufflindoh said:   Signed up and approved... Sent a secure message asking if I qualify for the bonus. Will keep you posted on the response. fyi, I live in OR.

Did you fund with credit card? If so, how much?

Did the minimums.. $10 to pay for membership. $5 min for savings, $0 to basic checking. I used ACH to fund...
You can save yourself gambling the intial $10 by waiting for the reponse from my SM to the bank.

Yeah let us know. From the fine print, sounds like this is a targeted offer: Offer is not transferable to other Northwest Federal members.

Shufflindoh said:   Signed up and approved... Sent a secure message asking if I qualify for the bonus. Will keep you posted on the response. fyi, I live in OR.

emgeecee said:   Thanks for that, especially if you could find out about ACH deposits counting as DD that would be extremely helpful for many people here.

There was a thread last year on NWFCU 100 dollar bonus with the same question however, no one answered it

http://www.depositaccounts.com/blog/2011/05/100-checking-account...

The promotion specifically states you must make 3 "payroll" deposits of at least $500 by July to get the bonus.

I've done more than a couple bank bonuses that said the same thing, but ACH worked. Capital One immediately comes to mind, they specify payroll deposits from gov't, employer, social security, pension, and yet for the past 3 years I've gotten the bonus.

repost

re: "VISA/Mastercard funding up to $5,000"

Chase consider it to be purchase?

emgeecee said:   I've done more than a couple bank bonuses that said the same thing, but ACH worked. Capital One immediately comes to mind, they specify payroll deposits from gov't, employer, social security, pension, and yet for the past 3 years I've gotten the bonus.

It's possible, but remember Northwest is not a bank.

Agreed it's unlikely, that's why if someone is visiting a branch anyway to talk to them, it would be helpful for this thread if they could ask, obviously they don't have to if they're uncomfortable with the idea.

Ask if ACH counts as DD? Are you F'ing crazy? Whatever you do, don't ask them that

Usually asking is verboten I agree, but if someone is visiting anyway, in between asking plenty of legit questions, casually throwing in I make a side income of eBay, and could paypal ACH count, seems like it couldn't hurt.

yea no hurt in asking. I will go to the branch tomorrow and ask if ach counts as DD. I'll let you guys knows what the deal is

I wouldn't believe any answer they gave anyway. Why risk flagging yourself as a churner? Best way to find out is for someone to just try it.

CSRs are generally clueless as to the difference between actual ACH vs. real DD. Even the informed ones you might run into in the branch is unlikely going to say an ACH will suffice (assuming the systems allows it). It is simply not worth asking and rely on actual experience.

emgeecee said:   seems like it couldn't hurt.

Unless it prompts them to close the loophole

I'm clearly going to get outvoted by the senior members, so I'll defer to them on this request, and withdraw my request.

I think the only way to ask "safely" would be to do the transaction once, then contact them after it posts (via secure message or email-something in writing, otherwise it's useless) and ask something along the lines of "I set up my direct deposit and it posted, but I just want to ensure that if I receive this same deposit 3 more times (or whatever the req. is) that I will earn the bonus."

user0001 said:   NEDeals said:   There are also a number of large corporate organizations that if your employer is a member of, you can qualify to be a member of NWFCU. (E.g. Employees of Verizon, Ernst & Young, Microsoft, NACHA, Qualcomm, and hundreds more).I see their member companies but MSFT and Verizon aren't on there. It sounds like you are referring to something else (details?).

user0001, Did you look at the membership information? If you look a little more, you'll note that it says

Organizations

If you or your company is a member of these organizations, you may join Northwest Federal Credit Union immediately.

There are multiple organizations listed. For example, Verizon, Ernst & Young, Microsoft, NACHA, Qualcomm, etc are members of Northern Virginia Technology Council, a listed qualifying organization. Since MWFCU allows membership if "your company" is a member of Northern Virginia Technology Council, or several other fine organizations, you can join if you work for any of the above companies, or hundreds more.

Reference: www.nwfcu.org/membership/organizations.html

Skipping 107 Messages...
Link doesn't. Dead?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014