• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
So last night I open my mail and get an offer from AMEX about this rental protection - I'm about to toss it thinking "the card already gives me rental car protection," but I read further and notice that this offers:

For a flat fee of $24.95 per rental (up to 42 days) you get:

1. Helps to avoid claims on your personal insurance
With the basic secondary coverage your American Express already includes, you risk having your personal auto insurance premiums hiked if you get in an accident, since that is who will be paying first.

However with American Express Premium Car Rental Protection, you won’t have to file a claim with your personal insurance company (assuming to cost of your claim does not exceed AMEX’s coverage limits). That means you won’t have to worry about your premiums going up for having a claim.

2. Saves you paying for a deductible
You won’t have to worry about paying a deductible if a claim is made. If you’re like me, you probably have a deductible of $500, maybe even $1,000!

3. Might cover vehicles your basic card coverage won’t
The secondary car rental loss and damage insurance that is offered for free on most credit cards excludes a number of vehicles, including SUVs, pickup trucks, luxury cars and others.

All you have to do is sign up and pay with your AMEX card, no annual fee or charge to add this protection. When you rent the car, AMEX will charge you the $25. Not a bad deal if you are renting a car for a few days to a week, this could be $3 a day (gas is $4 a gallon).

If you don't want this protection just use another CC in your wallet.

Link to AMEX to Sign up

below is a table of the benifits / what is covered by the CC

Member Summary

table
Thanks CPAESQ
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
This is fairly important, because the car rental agencies are increasingly charging "Loss of Use" when people decline th... (more)

RWAnderson72 (Aug. 15, 2012 @ 8:47p) |

Does anyone know if AMEX premium rentals cover the other car and people in the other car?

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2... (more)

akhera (Sep. 15, 2012 @ 6:32a) |

It only covers the rental car

xoneinax (Sep. 15, 2012 @ 9:00a) |

PREMIUM CAR RENTAL PROTECTION DETAILS

Premium Car Rental Protection (PCRP) is insurance coverage offered to American Express® Cardmembers to help protect them and Passengers when the Cardmember uses an enrolled Card to pay for a Car Rental from a Rental Company. Coverage includes 1) reimbursement for damage to or theft of the Rental Auto and personal property, and 2) medical expenses and death and dismemberment benefits resulting from a Covered Accident. Coverage is worldwide except for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand.

Enrollment is available to Consumer and Small Business Cardmembers residing in the 50 United States of America or the District of Columbia. Corporate Cardmembers are not eligible.

What the Plan Covers
The $100,000 coverage level with a premium of $24.95 covers:
Up to $100,000 of primary damage and theft coverage for the rental car.
• Up to $100,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) coverage.
• Up to $15,000 per person of excess coverage for Medical Expenses.
• Up to $5,000 per person of excess coverage for personal property, maximum of $10,000 for all. For Florida Residents, up to $15,000 per person of excess coverage for personal property, maximum of $25,000.

The $75,000 coverage level with a premium of $19.95 covers:
• Up to $75,000 of primary damage and theft coverage for the rental car.
• Up to $75,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) coverage.
• Up to $7,500 per person of excess coverage for Medical Expenses.
• Up to $2,500 per person of excess coverage for personal property, maximum of $5,000 for all.

For California Residents
The $100,000 coverage level with a premium of $17.95 covers:
• Up to $100,000 of primary damage and theft coverage for the rental car.
• Up to $250,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) coverage.
• Up to $15,000 per person of excess coverage for Medical Expenses
• Up to $5,000 per person of excess coverage for personal property, maximum of $10,000 for all.

Premium
There is no cost to enroll in Premium Car Rental Protection, and there are no monthly, annual, or cancellation fees. The Cardmember pays a flat fee of $19.95 or $24.95 per rental ($17.95 for California residents) each time a rental car is charged to his or her enrolled American Express Card, until coverage is terminated. The flat rate covers the duration of the rental, for up to 42 consecutive days (up to 30 consecutive days for Washington Cardmembers).

Vehicles Covered by the Plan
The Plan covers most vehicles typically available from a Rental Company, from smaller economy sizes to large luxury sedans, convertibles, exotic cars (worth more than $50,000), minivans, vans, pickup trucks, and full-sized SUVs. The vehicle must be rented from a Rental Company, which is a commercial rental agency that rents passenger-type motor vehicles, but it does not include a company whose primary business is something other than renting cars, such as an auto body shop or a moving van company. Excluded vehicles include: automobiles that have been customized or modified from the manufacturer's factory specifications, except for driver's assistance equipment for the physically challenged; any rented vehicle used for hire or commercial purposes; antique cars (cars over 20 years old or cars that have not been manufactured for over 10 years); limousines; and off-road vehicles, motorcycles, motorbikes, mopeds, recreational vehicles, golf or motorized carts, campers, moving trucks or moving vans, and trailers. Vehicles covered may vary by state. Please see your Plan documents.

Determining coverage of personal car insurance or business insurance
It’s possible that a Cardmember’s personal car insurance or business insurance might cover these types of losses. However, here are a few things to keep in mind:
• Premium Car Rental Protection is primary insurance of theft of and damage to the rented vehicle, which means enrollees won’t have to use their own insurance first, or pay a deductible.
• Also, insurance policies often vary in their coverage of rental cars, or out-of-state or international driving. Cardmembers should check personal policies carefully to see whether they’re covered for rental cars. But this plan covers enrollees almost anywhere in the world.

Coverage is automatically extended to other American Express Cards
If you are the Basic Cardmember, your other American Express Card accounts, and any Additional Cards issued on those accounts, are automatically enrolled in the Premium Car Rental Protection Plan. Any Card accounts issued to you in the future, and Additional Cards on those accounts, will also be enrolled. Cards that are not enrolled include Corporate Cards, Additional Cards enrolled independently, Additional Cards issued to you on someone else's account, and any Card issued by a third-party bank partner of American Express. If you are the Additional Cardmember, coverage does not extend to other accounts you may have. You are only covered on the account on which you have been issued the Additional Card.

Provider of Premium Car Rental Protection
Premium Car Rental Protection is underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company, Administrative Office, Phoenix, AZ. Coverage is determined by the terms, conditions, and exclusions of Policy AX0610 or Policy PCRP-IND and is subject to change with notice. This document does not supplement or replace the Policy.

When identifying insurance products that may be of interest to you, American Express may act on behalf of the insurance company and receive compensation that may vary by company and product. American Express may also receive additional financial benefit when AMEX Assurance Company or another American Express entity acts as the insurer or reinsurer for these products.
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

My Costco AMEX is $19.95. Also, if the car rental company actually charges a deposit and then refunds the deposit (instead of just a hold), AMEX will remove the fee. $175 rental charged as $275 up front and $100 refunded upon return. $19.95 charged 2 days after rental and then $19.95 refunded 2 days after deposit refund.

I just enrolled online and if you are a New York resident you have the option to enroll in the $19.95 option that only covers $75,000 vs. the $24.95 for $100,000 in damage coverage

I opted for the $19 option

I've been using this for a while, I love it and think it's a good value.

However, be aware of the obvious: the charge is automatic once your card is enrolled, so if you use your car for short rentals (1-2 days) you are not getting anywhere near the same value as if you use it for longer rentals.

I use my enrolled AMEX for rentals 5+ days and another CC for shorter rentals.

I have been using it for the last five years. I had a parking lot accident and my rental car was damaged. The claim process with AMEX was smooth and they took care of the estimated $1500 damage charges very easily. Then onwards, every time I rent a car, sometimes even for a day, I pay that $25 through AMEX.

psychtobe said:   I've been using this for a while, I love it and think it's a good value.

However, be aware of the obvious: the charge is automatic once your card is enrolled, so if you use your car for short rentals (1-2 days) you are not getting anywhere near the same value as if you use it for longer rentals.

It may not be nearly the same value for short vs. longer rentals, but it's still a much better value than the insurance the rental company tries to sell you, which is often prices higher than the cost of the rental itself.

BocephusSTL said:   psychtobe said:   I've been using this for a while, I love it and think it's a good value.

It may not be nearly the same value for short vs. longer rentals, but it's still a much better value than the insurance the rental company tries to sell you, which is often prices higher than the cost of the rental itself.

I had minor damage on a hertz rental car- and it was handled very well. the hertz claims department also knew of the AMEX program. I got regular email updates from AMEX about the claim processing,etc.

I think it was $18 per day for CA, it may be higher now. Once enrolled, you are always enrolled - it automatically kicks in when the AMEX card is used on the rental (@end of rental payment).

BocephusSTL said:   psychtobe said:   I've been using this for a while, I love it and think it's a good value.

I had minor damage on a hertz rental car- and it was handled very well. the hertz claims department also knew of the AMEX program. I got regular email updates from AMEX about the claim processing,etc.

I think it was $18 per day for CA, it may be higher now. Once enrolled, you are always enrolled - it automatically kicks in when the AMEX card is used on the rental (@end of rental payment).

Does this work for Priceline car rentals?

Good product, read fine print. IE, numerous examples of people getting in trouble with this in other countries

"Coverage is worldwide except for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand."

CPAESQ said:   
2. Saves you paying for a deductible
You won’t have to worry about paying a deductible if a claim is made. If you’re like me, you probably have a deductible of $500, maybe even $1,000!

FYI: As secondary insurer, AMEX paid for my fender bender (just <$500) without premium coverage. My car insurance company wasn't even contacted.

AMEX has had this forever! This is nothing new. I have 2 AMEX cards but use my Visa Signature card instead because it also pays for Loss of Use and any admin fees and this is an included benefit that is included for free.

Reserve car with AMEX w/ rental protection.

At return, if no damage, charge actual rental to different card.

this has been discussed many times before.

billybwilde said:   Reserve car with AMEX w/ rental protection.

Ethical issues aside, what happens when a rental car company claims you have damages after you go home?

If it includes liability it's a steal, otherwise, not so much. While we're on the subject, which US cards have primary coverage included for free, other than Diners Club?

billybwilde said:   Reserve car with AMEX w/ rental protection.

Seriously... This is a great service... please don't destroy it and ruin it... its a lot better than paying 10 dollars a day at the terminal.

BTW for california residents its only $17.99.

There are also an old discussions on this topic.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/arcmessageview.php?catid=63&thre...
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1166973/

I've been using it for a 2-3 years as I don't want to ding my ins.

One thing that the rental companies always tell me when I say I have AMEX premium is they'll charge my entire deductible ($1000) to my card if the car is returned with damage. Is this true?

Oops
Disclaimer

Farris oops
Disclaimer
sofc said:   billybwilde said:   Reserve car with AMEX w/ rental protection.

Ethical issues aside, what happens when a rental car company claims you have damages after you go home?
Which is normally the way it will go down -- other than driving in after one of these instances:

I believe the Chase United MileagePlus card gives primary insurance.

TravelerMSY said:   If it includes liability it's a steal, otherwise, not so much. While we're on the subject, which US cards have primary coverage included for free, other than Diners Club?

kiasuchick said:   I've been using it for a 2-3 years as I don't want to ding my ins.

One thing that the rental companies always tell me when I say I have AMEX premium is they'll charge my entire deductible ($1000) to my card if the car is returned with damage. Is this true?

No, that is not true. Never trust those guys, many (most?) get commissions for upselling the insurance.

Does this cover 12 person vans? I see that it is not specifically excluded in the summary of terms, but do not know whether it is excluded in the actual contract. Also is Authorized Driver defined as anyone authorized under the rental agreement?

Great deal- used it last time with a rental for 25 days (car in shops)- made me feel good when I scraped the wheels of the rental against a curb...

billybwilde said:   Reserve car with AMEX w/ rental protection. At return, if no damage, charge actual rental to different cardInteresting angle

It's a terrible suggestion because like another person said they almost ALWAYS try and stick you with the damage a couple months down the road!

xoneinax said:   billybwilde said:   Reserve car with AMEX w/ rental protection. At return, if no damage, charge actual rental to different cardInteresting angle

dirtrat said:   It's a terrible suggestion because like another person said they almost ALWAYS try and stick you with the damage a couple months down the road!

xoneinax said:   billybwilde said:   Reserve car with AMEX w/ rental protection. At return, if no damage, charge actual rental to different cardInteresting angle

yep- but if you make sure that you go over the damage/inspection sheet with a rep @return, this may be contested. I know some airport locations just take the car- no inspection at end of rental so ymmv

I wanted to get this when doing a car rental in Puerto Rico, but apparently NH residents are not eligible for the premium rental protection. Any idea why?

In my case, I ended up doing the rental with a Visa and then taking the rental place SLI, as CDW is already supplied by VISA... albeit it is not primary.

I was looking for primary insurance and I just found this: http://us.protectyourbubble.com/travel-insurance/rental-car-prot...

Can anyone recommend another (reliable) source for purchasing primary car rental insurance?

Go to insuremytrip.com

Select a $500 trip cost, i think travelex cheapest plan provided rental insurance at no surcharge , some carriers charge an addon fee for rental
Covered

Going to add this to the Quick Summary:

PREMIUM CAR RENTAL PROTECTION DETAILS

Premium Car Rental Protection (PCRP) is insurance coverage offered to American Express® Cardmembers to help protect them and Passengers when the Cardmember uses an enrolled Card to pay for a Car Rental from a Rental Company. Coverage includes 1) reimbursement for damage to or theft of the Rental Auto and personal property, and 2) medical expenses and death and dismemberment benefits resulting from a Covered Accident. Coverage is worldwide except for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, and New Zealand.

Enrollment is available to Consumer and Small Business Cardmembers residing in the 50 United States of America or the District of Columbia. Corporate Cardmembers are not eligible.

What the Plan Covers
The $100,000 coverage level with a premium of $24.95 covers:
Up to $100,000 of primary damage and theft coverage for the rental car.
• Up to $100,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) coverage.
• Up to $15,000 per person of excess coverage for Medical Expenses.
• Up to $5,000 per person of excess coverage for personal property, maximum of $10,000 for all. For Florida Residents, up to $15,000 per person of excess coverage for personal property, maximum of $25,000.

The $75,000 coverage level with a premium of $19.95 covers:
• Up to $75,000 of primary damage and theft coverage for the rental car.
• Up to $75,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) coverage.
• Up to $7,500 per person of excess coverage for Medical Expenses.
• Up to $2,500 per person of excess coverage for personal property, maximum of $5,000 for all.

For California Residents
The $100,000 coverage level with a premium of $17.95 covers:
• Up to $100,000 of primary damage and theft coverage for the rental car.
• Up to $250,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) coverage.
• Up to $15,000 per person of excess coverage for Medical Expenses
• Up to $5,000 per person of excess coverage for personal property, maximum of $10,000 for all.

Premium
There is no cost to enroll in Premium Car Rental Protection, and there are no monthly, annual, or cancellation fees. The Cardmember pays a flat fee of $19.95 or $24.95 per rental ($17.95 for California residents) each time a rental car is charged to his or her enrolled American Express Card, until coverage is terminated. The flat rate covers the duration of the rental, for up to 42 consecutive days (up to 30 consecutive days for Washington Cardmembers).

Vehicles Covered by the Plan
The Plan covers most vehicles typically available from a Rental Company, from smaller economy sizes to large luxury sedans, convertibles, exotic cars (worth more than $50,000), minivans, vans, pickup trucks, and full-sized SUVs. The vehicle must be rented from a Rental Company, which is a commercial rental agency that rents passenger-type motor vehicles, but it does not include a company whose primary business is something other than renting cars, such as an auto body shop or a moving van company. Excluded vehicles include: automobiles that have been customized or modified from the manufacturer's factory specifications, except for driver's assistance equipment for the physically challenged; any rented vehicle used for hire or commercial purposes; antique cars (cars over 20 years old or cars that have not been manufactured for over 10 years); limousines; and off-road vehicles, motorcycles, motorbikes, mopeds, recreational vehicles, golf or motorized carts, campers, moving trucks or moving vans, and trailers. Vehicles covered may vary by state. Please see your Plan documents.

Determining coverage of personal car insurance or business insurance
It’s possible that a Cardmember’s personal car insurance or business insurance might cover these types of losses. However, here are a few things to keep in mind:
• Premium Car Rental Protection is primary insurance of theft of and damage to the rented vehicle, which means enrollees won’t have to use their own insurance first, or pay a deductible.
• Also, insurance policies often vary in their coverage of rental cars, or out-of-state or international driving. Cardmembers should check personal policies carefully to see whether they’re covered for rental cars. But this plan covers enrollees almost anywhere in the world.

Coverage is automatically extended to other American Express Cards
If you are the Basic Cardmember, your other American Express Card accounts, and any Additional Cards issued on those accounts, are automatically enrolled in the Premium Car Rental Protection Plan. Any Card accounts issued to you in the future, and Additional Cards on those accounts, will also be enrolled. Cards that are not enrolled include Corporate Cards, Additional Cards enrolled independently, Additional Cards issued to you on someone else's account, and any Card issued by a third-party bank partner of American Express. If you are the Additional Cardmember, coverage does not extend to other accounts you may have. You are only covered on the account on which you have been issued the Additional Card.

Provider of Premium Car Rental Protection
Premium Car Rental Protection is underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company, Administrative Office, Phoenix, AZ. Coverage is determined by the terms, conditions, and exclusions of Policy AX0610 or Policy PCRP-IND and is subject to change with notice. This document does not supplement or replace the Policy.

When identifying insurance products that may be of interest to you, American Express may act on behalf of the insurance company and receive compensation that may vary by company and product. American Express may also receive additional financial benefit when AMEX Assurance Company or another American Express entity acts as the insurer or reinsurer for these products.

mybuds said:   Does this cover 12 person vans? I see that it is not specifically excluded in the summary of terms, but do not know whether it is excluded in the actual contract. Also is Authorized Driver defined as anyone authorized under the rental agreement?

Covers up to 15 (at least it did when I rented.) Authorized by rental agreement.

dirtrat said:   It's a terrible suggestion because like another person said they almost ALWAYS try and stick you with the damage a couple months down the road!

Almost ALWAYS? I've been renting cars for 30 years, in a number of U.S. states including Alaska and Hawaii and several foreign countries including Germany and Caribbean islands. I have never once been charged for damage to a rental car. I did total one rental car, and even then didn't pay anything as the other (at-fault) driver's insurance picked up the entire tab. I'm not saying buying primary insurance is a bad idea (though for me, I've never considered it a necessity), nor am I saying that rental companies might claim damage after the fact. I'm just saying that there's a lot of noise on this thread suggesting that the practice is rampant, and my personal experience would indicate otherwise.

Chris.

cpaynter said:   dirtrat said:   It's a terrible suggestion because like another person said they almost ALWAYS try and stick you with the damage a couple months down the road!Almost ALWAYS? I've been renting cars for 30 years, in a number of U.S. states including Alaska and Hawaii and several foreign countries including Germany and Caribbean islands. I have never once been charged for damage to a rental car. I did total one rental car, and even then didn't pay anything as the other (at-fault) driver's insurance picked up the entire tab. I'm not saying buying primary insurance is a bad idea (though for me, I've never considered it a necessity), nor am I saying that rental companies might claim damage after the fact. I'm just saying that there's a lot of noise on this thread suggesting that the practice is rampant, and my personal experience would indicate otherwise.

Chris.
I don't think the point was that rental companies always try to stick you with damage. The point dirtrat was making is, IF it happens, you normally find out later. Many times the person doing the check-in merely looks at milage and fuel level (and might spot any very obvious damage), but other problems will be found during cleanup and recycle, getting the car ready for the next rental.

jaimelobo said:   cpaynter said:   dirtrat said:   It's a terrible suggestion because like another person said they almost ALWAYS try and stick you with the damage a couple months down the road!Almost ALWAYS? I've been renting cars for 30 years, in a number of U.S. states including Alaska and Hawaii and several foreign countries including Germany and Caribbean islands. I have never once been charged for damage to a rental car. I did total one rental car, and even then didn't pay anything as the other (at-fault) driver's insurance picked up the entire tab. I'm not saying buying primary insurance is a bad idea (though for me, I've never considered it a necessity), nor am I saying that rental companies might claim damage after the fact. I'm just saying that there's a lot of noise on this thread suggesting that the practice is rampant, and my personal experience would indicate otherwise.

Chris.
I don't think the point was that rental companies always try to stick you with damage. The point dirtrat was making is, IF it happens, you normally find out later. Many times the person doing the check-in merely looks at milage and fuel level (and might spot any very obvious damage), but other problems will be found during cleanup and recycle, getting the car ready for the next rental.

IANAL, but I don't think that you are responsible for anything once it is inspected and returned. It is their responsibility to inspect it to their satisfaction when it is returned. How would you know (and be responsible) if the damage was caused after you returned it?

so is the $100,000 level coverage worth $5 more than the $75,000 level?
what is a typical use case where the higher coverage is better?

amhidogha said:   jaimelobo said:   cpaynter said:   dirtrat said:   It's a terrible suggestion because like another person said they almost ALWAYS try and stick you with the damage a couple months down the road!Almost ALWAYS? I've been renting cars for 30 years, in a number of U.S. states including Alaska and Hawaii and several foreign countries including Germany and Caribbean islands. I have never once been charged for damage to a rental car. I did total one rental car, and even then didn't pay anything as the other (at-fault) driver's insurance picked up the entire tab. I'm not saying buying primary insurance is a bad idea (though for me, I've never considered it a necessity), nor am I saying that rental companies might claim damage after the fact. I'm just saying that there's a lot of noise on this thread suggesting that the practice is rampant, and my personal experience would indicate otherwise.

Chris.

IANAL, but I don't think that you are responsible for anything once it is inspected and returned. It is their responsibility to inspect it to their satisfaction when it is returned. How would you know (and be responsible) if the damage was caused after you returned it?
May not sound fair, but it happens. Look at from the other side, there are lots of types of damage you could do to a car that would be fairly easy hide/temporarily patch up. Most people would prefer not to stand around at the airport for 30 minutes while they inspect your car top to bottom, inside and out. There are some "quick return" programs where you don't even see anyone at the car when you return it.

I used to use Premium car rental protection from AMEX quite a bit before.But whenever I pre-pay part of my rental through Hertz..AMEX used to charge me twice...I had to call them up every time to revert the charges and I finally gave up

It happens all the time! I'm not saying people get hit with damage charges all the time, I'm saying they don't accuse you of damaging the car when you turn it in! It happens several weeks down the road when you get a letter accusing you of causing damage to the vehicle. People do get wrongly accused of this. Who cares you've been renting cars for 30 years? lots of people have been. Your experiences may vary. Are you going to have them inspect the engine compartment or underneath the car? Do some research on the internet and read some of the storys about this happening to people.

cpaynter said:   dirtrat said:   It's a terrible suggestion because like another person said they almost ALWAYS try and stick you with the damage a couple months down the road!

Almost ALWAYS? I've been renting cars for 30 years, in a number of U.S. states including Alaska and Hawaii and several foreign countries including Germany and Caribbean islands. I have never once been charged for damage to a rental car. I did total one rental car, and even then didn't pay anything as the other (at-fault) driver's insurance picked up the entire tab. I'm not saying buying primary insurance is a bad idea (though for me, I've never considered it a necessity), nor am I saying that rental companies might claim damage after the fact. I'm just saying that there's a lot of noise on this thread suggesting that the practice is rampant, and my personal experience would indicate otherwise.

Chris.

Does the work outside the US? Are there country exclusions? I could not find the details

ellory said:   Does the work outside the US? Are there country exclusions? I could not find the details
Scroll up.

Skipping 25 Messages...
akhera said:   Does anyone know if AMEX premium rentals cover the other car and people in the other car ?It only covers the rental car

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014