• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Heads up, I know this card has been mentioned, if I search it doesn't come up. I applied for it just to get the 2%. I joined the credit union then applied. I only applied for $5000 credit which by far my lowest credit limit just because I wanted to use this card for non Amx blue purchases. Got a call asking why I had so much available credit but I wanted their card. I told them the truth, I wanted the 2% CashBack on everyday purchases. Got another call the same day asking that since I am self employed I need to fax over 2 years of tax returns to prove income. I just told them that I didn't want the card at that point, it's not worth the hassle. I've never been asked to do this when applying for a credit card. I wonder if this will be a standard thing in the future, certainly none of the big banks have done it to me. Have you guys had this happen? BTW, the income I put down is not especially high, it's in no way out of line, it's up and down but it's an average year and well under $100,000.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
EDIT: sorry for the double-post. Not sure how to delete.

ejorama (May. 12, 2012 @ 10:48a) |

Abbey, NASAFCU T&Cs clearly indicate it is annual spend. A user at CB has confirmed it is annual spend, and users here ... (more)

qwerty12345otron (May. 12, 2012 @ 12:36p) |

Can anyone confirm how the Cash Back reward is given? (check, credit to your account, visa Cash Back card, etc?)

ejorama (May. 15, 2012 @ 9:33a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I've heard it done before. Pretty common to confirm your income. You either send in your return or you sign an IRS form that lets them look.

There was a post recently where Penfed had them do it. Dont recall the specific thread.
ETA: Text

That's why I requested a $500 limit on my PenFed card. No income verification and I only use it for gas.

I'm curious about your reasoning for applying for this card. 2% is only on purchases above $2000 on the Platinum Cash Rewards Credit Card. If you're only using this for occasional purchases not on your AMEX/other cards, won't you just be earning 1%-1.25% (the same you would probably be getting on your AMEX?)

Its pretty standard for Credit Union. They like to verify things, unlike commercial banks who normally review you based on your credit history alone.

I'd stay away from NASA. You don't start collecting 2% CashBack until you hit the $2,000 tier EVERY MONTH.

You're much better off getting a straight 2% card from either Fidelity or Priceline.

Good Luck,

mwa423 said:   I'm curious about your reasoning for applying for this card. 2% is only on purchases above $2000 on the Platinum Cash Rewards Credit Card. If you're only using this for occasional purchases not on your AMEX/other cards, won't you just be earning 1%-1.25% (the same you would probably be getting on your AMEX?)

More than occasional, Amx is only 5% on gas, grocery and drug stores. Even with gift cards, it doesn't cover everything at all.

tambun said:   Its pretty standard for Credit Union. They like to verify things, unlike commercial banks who normally review you based on your credit history alone.

Thanks, first time I had seen it. But that makes sense because you apply for a card from them with the same process as you apply for a loan.

sayhey said:   I'd stay away from NASA. You don't start collecting 2% CashBack until you hit the $2,000 tier EVERY MONTH.

You're much better off getting a straight 2% card from either Fidelity or Priceline.

Good Luck,

Why is this comment getting red?

Sayhey is wrong by a factor of about 12:

Rebate is based on net annual purchases as follows:

a. 1% rebate for purchases up to $1,000;
b. 1.25% rebate for purchases from $1,001 $2,000;
c. 2% rebate for purchases from $2,001 +

Pondus said:   Sayhey is wrong by a factor of about 12:

I'm sorry, Pondus, but you're incorrect.

From the NASAFCU site:

Start earning Cash Rewards today! Rebate is based on net monthly purchases as follows:

1% rebate for purchases up to $1,000
1.25% rebate for purchases from $1,001 up to $2,000
2% rebate for purchases from $2,001 or more

I am guessing neither one of us has this card, sayhey. If you click on "Important Visa Disclosure and Credit Information" link (https://www.nasafcu.com/pdf/VisaPlatTsCs.pdf) just under the text you quoted, you get the pdf from which I quoted. I apologize if I was wrong, although the small print terms probably govern over some html text. If memory serves, our hegemonic CB buddy spoke as if he did have this card and was OK with the minor shortage relative to the 2%, as well as with the annual payment of the rebates.

ETA: Interesting, uncharacteristically he was full of himself that time, more recently essentially admitting to not having the card (CB thread). Could someone who actually does have the card please comment on the monthly vs. annual spending level tier reset?

sayhey said:   Pondus said:   Sayhey is wrong by a factor of about 12:

I'm sorry, Pondus, but you're incorrect.

From the NASAFCU site:

Start earning Cash Rewards today! Rebate is based on net monthly purchases as follows:

This is my understanding of the NASA FCU card as well. There are better options.

Pondus, the confusion comes about because of NASAFCU. For much of last year, their web site advertised that the 2% CashBack was available after an annual spend of $2,000. However, if you called their CSRs, you were categorically told that the 2% was based upon monthly spending. They finally got their website in line with their actual policy.

Good Luck,

sayhey said:   Pondus, the confusion comes about because of NASAFCU. For much of last year, their web site advertised that the 2% CashBack was available after an annual spend of $2,000. However, if you called their CSRs, you were categorically told that the 2% was based upon monthly spending. They finally got their website in line with their actual policy.

Good Luck,
Thanks, I do not trust CSRs any more than inconsistent websites. My hope is that someone with actual data will chime in here or there, and until then, completely agree that pursuing this card is not worth the two or three hard inquiries it would take non-members to try.

their website says

does conflict with their other website

NASAFCU has never veered from the T&C at the inception of the card which stated that 2% CashBack was available via a MONTHLY spending tier. The confusion simply came about when they mistakenly alluded to an annual tier on their website. I don't think that the card is widely held aside from space enthusiasts who like its graphics, but it would indeed be nice to hear from an actual cardholder.

Both Priceline VISA and Fidelity AMEX offer 2% from the get-go without any tier structure.

sayhey said:   NASAFCU has never veered from the T&C at the inception of the card which stated that 2% CashBack was available via a MONTHLY spending tier. The confusion simply came about when they mistakenly alluded to an annual tier on their website. I don't think that the card is widely held aside from space enthusiasts who like its graphics, but it would indeed be nice to hear from an actual cardholder.

Both Priceline VISA and Fidelity AMEX offer 2% from the get-go without any tier structure.

note that the 2nd link I provided above looks like the card T&C that mentions the annual tier.

Pondus said:   sayhey said:   Pondus, the confusion comes about because of NASAFCU. For much of last year, their web site advertised that the 2% CashBack was available after an annual spend of $2,000. However, if you called their CSRs, you were categorically told that the 2% was based upon monthly spending. They finally got their website in line with their actual policy.

Good Luck,
Thanks, I do not trust CSRs any more than inconsistent websites. My hope is that someone with actual data will chime in here or there, and until then, completely agree that pursuing this card is not worth the two or three hard inquiries it would take non-members to try.

Actual data from a new card holder. Hit the $2K requirement on the first month of active use, since then getting slight lower than 2% I'm assuming due to the fact they round down fractional pennies for the CashBack calculation on each purchase instead of giving you 2% on the end of the month balance.

Statement.... Purchases... CashBack Balance (running total)

2/22/12........ $2045.79....... 21.07

3/25/12........ $3012.47....... 79.63... 1.944% CashBack

4/23/12....... . $9260.55....... 263.32... 1.984% CashBack

Edited: cause I'm daft.

I'm an actual cardholder, and can verify I'm getting 2% after my first $2000 ANNUAL (not monthly) spend.

I've read other places that the Cash Back reward is given as one of those visa cash cards that they sometimes use for mail-in rebates. Is this true, or how is the cash reward disbursed? Does it go as a credit to the account, or via a check in the mail, or what?

EDIT: sorry for the double-post. Not sure how to delete.

sayhey said:   NASAFCU has never veered from the T&C at the inception of the card which stated that 2% CashBack was available via a MONTHLY spending tier. The confusion simply came about when they mistakenly alluded to an annual tier on their website. I don't think that the card is widely held aside from space enthusiasts who like its graphics, but it would indeed be nice to hear from an actual cardholder.

Abbey, NASAFCU T&Cs clearly indicate it is annual spend. A user at CB has confirmed it is annual spend, and users here have done so as well.

https://www.nasafcu.com/pdf/VisaPlatTsCs.pdf

Can anyone confirm how the Cash Back reward is given? (check, credit to your account, visa Cash Back card, etc?)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014