• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Met my annual maximum HSA CAP as wife is pregnant and still got 2 months in this benefit year. My age is 33 with no medical conditions and got my annual checkup/physical/blood work done. What other medical test/procedure can or should I do this benefit year that will help me in a long run as everything is completely covered by my instance. The idea is not to game the system but to get tests done that will help me medically in a long run.

PS: i tried to post this in HSA FAQ and also searched in fatwallet/google and did not get any good results.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

faltutp said:   Met my annual maximum HSA CAP as wife is pregnant and still got 2 months in this benefit year. My age is 33 with no medical conditions and got my annual checkup/physical/blood work done. What other medical test/procedure can or should I do this benefit year that will help me in a long run as everything is completely covered by my instance. The idea is not to game the system but to get tests done that will help me medically in a long run.

PS: i tried to post this in HSA FAQ and also searched in fatwallet/google and did not get any good results.

Your HSA is a special savings account you are eligible for based on your health insurance. You have a high deductable health insurance plan and have met that deductable. Your question has nothing to do with a HSA.

Is the pregnancy going to cause next year's deductable to be met as well? Or can you get most of those costs billed during the current year?

I agree. After deductable it just acts like a PPO. Most of my expenses will be this benefit year(ending on June 30th) . Next year it will be just 1st year kid preventative stuff. I don't have glasses/contact and thinking about getting a vision test. I just can't think of any other medical test that will help me in a long run.

If you have allergies, now would be a great time to get testing and treatment. Treatment gets expensive fast because you go in once a week, maybe even twice a week at the beginning. Also get hearing and vision (if covered) tests--even if just to establish a baseline. Get a skin cancer screening.

Colonoscopy

First, I'll say that while I applaud you for doing what is in your own interests(as folks should do on these things) this right here is a big reason why healthcare costs are as high as they are. You now have limitless demand for healthcare because you aren't paying for it and its exactly this situation that makes our system not function that well.

That said if you want to go over board:
-MRI
-CT scan
-Sleep Study
-STD test?(LOL)

But also there is a double edge sword to getting a lot of tests done. If they find something that you can't really do much about it can easily cause your health risk for an insurer to sky rocket causing future premiums for life, health, disability, etc. to increase. For example sleep apnea isn't really that big of a deal a lot of people have it, but you get it confirmed in a sleep study and its a big risk for life carriers and you'll never be able to get the premiums you would have had if the carrier never new it.

This is really a question for your GP.

If I had two months of free healthcare, I would use the first month to get a 30-day supply of allergy medicine and then get a 90-day supply paid for in the last month before the year restarts. But if you truly have no medical conditions, not even minor ones like allergies, then you probably don't need to do anything.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2015