• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
A friends grandmother started receiving bills from AT&T for 5 cell phones ordered by what turned out to be a neighbor of hers who stole her identity and intercepted the delivery. She called AT&T but they are insisting that she is responsible to pay the charges even though she claims it was identity theft. I woder how many people out there simply pay up because they think they have no recourse. She has already filed a police report. What is the most simple way to get AT&T off her back while preserving her credit? She is the real grandmotherly type who is not interested in suing and the like-she just wants to be left alone.

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If AT&T refuses to cancel the account and drop the bills, when the next bill comes, write "Return to sender" on the envelope and drop back in the mailbox. I wouldn't worry too much about credit score at that age.

no one mentioned the lady's age, for all you know in todays society she can be 27

OliverQuackenbush said:   no one mentioned the lady's age, for all you know in todays society she can be 27
Do you know any 27 y/o's who are the "grandmotherly type"?....LOL

Suing them may be the only way for her to be left alone. Seriously if they are already ignoring her and refusing to believe her getting a lawyer involved is likely the only way.

You'd think the police would have some way of using the phones signal to track it to a particular location and snag them.

lonestarguy said:   You'd think the police would have some way of using the phones signal to track it to a particular location and snag them.
that wont solve the billing and collections issue

this grandmother needs a consumer lawyer, if att reports delinquent on her report they will sue for her. most will do this on contingency at no cost to her.

She needs to contact her state's Attorney General.

What state does she live in?

Some states take defrauding the elderly very seriously.

I contacted the state AG - my issue went away in about a week or so. Someone competent took a look and poof.

samiam68 said:   OliverQuackenbush said:   no one mentioned the lady's age, for all you know in todays society she can be 27
Do you know any 27 y/o's who are the "grandmotherly type"?....LOL

I did. She was a baaaad girl.

dumroo said:   I contacted the state AG - my issue went away in about a week or so. Someone competent took a look and poof.

Longtime lurker here, had to respond as I have gone through a similar situation and got resolution pretty quickly the same way. First, contact your AG. If they have an online complaint form, do that right away. While that is pending, send an email to AT&T's CEO with "Attorney General Complaint Filed" in the subject line. PM me for the email address, or you can also find it with a google search.

They should contact you from the executive office very quickly to resolve the issue if you follow these steps. They don't like AG complaints. My state AG always has an open file with AT&T. Don't bother with their customer service line.

I hate AT&T. I was a 10 year customer. Called them one day with a very quick question about my cell account...wasn't on the phone more than 2-3 minutes. A few days later, I received a DSL modem in the mail which I never requested, along with a bill for the service. When I called customer service, they either tried to talk me into keeping it or disconnected me.

The executive office finally told me that I'd been "slammed" with unwanted services by the CSR I talked to on the phone. They called it a "training issue". Good luck!

lonestarguy said:   You'd think the police would have some way of using the phones signal to track it to a particular location and snag them.
99.9% chance the people with those phones have no idea. I bet the crook ordered 5 iPhones under contract then craigslist-ed them (5 * $500, cash?), leaving the granma with the monthly bills for service plans that aren't even being used.

No wonder Verizon Wireless nearly wanted stool samples from me the other day when I placed an order and AMEX was simultaneously calling me to verify charges.

I had an issue with AT&T billing. They had set up two accounts for me, and after spending 10+ hours on the phone, I couldn't explain to anyone there that I had only one account. I got really mad when they then sent the second account to collections. I reached out to the better business bureau, and within 2 days, the issue was resolved, and my credit didn't take a hit. I know, I know. I was also surprised that the BBB came through, but it did.

Wouldn't five phone be sent with signature required? If the delivery person decided that the package could just be left then wouldn't they bear the responsibility if the neighbor stole them? I actually had a situation with a cell phone delivery a few years back where the "neighbor" had signed for it. I don't believe that for a second but FedEx had a signature from my neighbor, who has a similar name to mine. Couldn't fight the neighbor because I didn't want to cause trouble in my building. The cell phone company dropped pursuit after I showed them proof that I was not the one who received the delivery.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014