• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
It looks like our old topics on these are from way back (<2006) and are archived. A poster in the Discover thread asked for a list. I'm sure you can find this information on other forums, but I felt that it'd be good to maintain a list here too.
Feel free to move contents into Wiki to expand. Parentheses denote yearly fee.

American Express
  • Business Platinum ($450)
  • Centurion ($2500) - not open to public
  • Platinum ($450)

Bank of America
  • BankAmericard Privileges Travel Rewards ($75)
  • BankAmericard Travel Rewards
  • WorldPoints Travel Rewards for Business

Capital One
  • All, including HSBC cards

Chase
  • British Airways ($95)
  • Hyatt ($75)
  • Ink Bold Business ($95)
  • Ink Plus Business ($95)
  • J.P. Morgan Palladium ($595) - not open to public
  • J.P. Morgan Select ($95)
  • Marriott Rewards Premier ($85)
  • Military Star Rewards
  • Priority Club Select ($49)
  • Ritz-Carlton Rewards ($395)
  • Sapphire Preferred ($95)
  • Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier ($99)
  • United MileagePlus Club ($395)
  • United MileagePlus Club Business ($395)

Citi
  • Executive AAdvantage World Elite Mastercard ($450)
  • Hilton HHonors Reserve ($95)
  • ThankYou Premier ($125)
  • ThankYou Prestige ($500)

Discover

Penfed
  • All

I'm sure there's tons more from small banks, credit unions, etc. In summary, from this list of major issuers, if you want something with no foreign transaction fee, you have to do one of the following:
1) pay an annual fee
2) get a Capital One card, such as Cash Rewards
3) Get a Discover Card, whose international acceptance may be limited
4) Get a Chase Military Star Rewards card
5) Update: new BoA products without annual fees: BankAmericard Travel Rewards and Worldpoints Travel Rewards Business

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
A list of smart chip cards for intl travel, via a poster on TPG: http://travelerthe.tumblr.com/post/24150060031/smart-ch... (more)

FW10001 (Sep. 19, 2012 @ 7:29a) |

I called Discover and asked them what rate they use for their currency conversions. The CSR said they use the rates publ... (more)

FutureDilemma (Oct. 06, 2012 @ 10:04p) |

Not accepted. Even AMEX has low acceptance due to high merchant fees.

bozo007 (Oct. 06, 2012 @ 10:45p) |

A lot of credit cards may not assess their own fee, BUT NOT MANY CARDS ACTUALLY EAT THE 1% FEE that Mastercard and VISA charges them
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I didn't even know there was such a thing - I am travelling to Europe in June too, guess I will be using my Capital One all the way throughout.

Be sure to call your credit card company to put a travel notice on your account for the time period you plan on traveling internationally. It is not mandatory, however you are less likely to have your card rejected for some irregularity if you give your issuer a heads up. This does not always ensure a smooth transaction.

Here's my nightmare story:

I had my (no longer available) Charles Schwab-turned BofA card rejected in Japan last year even though I attempted to submit a travel notice. Apparently, my notice was not properly registered by the CSR when I put in the request. When my card was swiped in Japan, BofA automatically sent a message for the merchant to call and verify the transaction over the phone. Neither I nor the cashier ever received this message because the merchant's CC processor co's policy is to auto-reject any transaction that is not instantly approved by the card issuer. At least this was the explanation given to me after 2 hours of complaining to B of A on the phone the next morning. I actually received a hand-written apology from the call center manager after he admitted that my account was mishandled by them at every step in this process. I would have collect called BofA on the spot to resolve the issue, however the concept of a collect call does not exist in many countries (including Japan).

Luckily, I also had my Capital One Venture card on me at the time and was approved instantly without any issues.

This week, I just returned from another 1.5-month Japan-China trip. I used my newly-issued AMEX Platinum everywhere with absolutely no problems. The membership fee is kinda steep, but the benefits (lounge access, Global Entry, 0% foreign transaction fees, etc.) are top class.

Also, the Charles Schwab Invest First Checking account allows customers to withdraw from almost any ATM in the world without any fees! Perfect for any traveler.

I believe FIA AMEX still has no fees?

You can submit Travel Notification online for CapitalOne.. That is the feature I love as I travel frequently.. No more holding phone at the last moment.. Not sure about other cards..

Assumenothing said:   You can submit Travel Notification online for CapitalOne.. That is the feature I love as I travel frequently.. No more holding phone at the last moment.. Not sure about other cards..That's pretty convenient. I agree. If you don't want to call in for the others, just send a secured message. It might take longer but hopefully the card issuer will take care of your travel notice.

centrifuge41 said:   Assumenothing said:   You can submit Travel Notification online for CapitalOne.. That is the feature I love as I travel frequently.. No more holding phone at the last moment.. Not sure about other cards..That's pretty convenient. I agree. If you don't want to call in for the others, just send a secured message. It might take longer but hopefully the card issuer will take care of your travel notice.

For twice, I sent a notice to capone two weeks before my trip, but they always responded after I came back...

so I now try to put in the notice four weeks before my trip...

fartfile said:   I believe FIA AMEX still has no fees?

Here's what the terms for Fidelity Investment Rewards AMEX say:

Application Terms said: American Express (1) converts charges made in foreign currencies to U.S. dollars using a rate selected on the business day prior to the day on which the charges are processed by American Express and (2) applies a 1% commission to the converted amount. See the Credit Card Agreement for details.

Thanks OP. Informative thread.

Another good question would be which credit cards give you CashBack overseas. For example, all CO cards do. Ex-Schwab, now BofA Rewards gives 2% back on groceries worldwide.

I'm curious whether PenFed Platinum Rewards gives 5% in points back everywhere in the world or is it just in the US? Anyone had experience?

I used the FIA AM3X when I traveled abroad recently. Even though they themselves claim not to charge they still take out 1% and said AM3X/Visa charges that and so they tack it onto the original cost. So it doesn't show up as a seperate charge and consequently I got nowhere in trying to get them to take it off. The fido debit card also works the same way.

Most places in Europe are using chip and pin, though not all require it (yet). There is a seperate list of cards that have chip and pin (someone linked to it from flyertalk IIRC).

if you ordering online stuffs oversea. if available, pay with google checkout, i think it has no transaction fee.

I'm from California but went to school in London, England. Bank of America do not charge any fees to withdraw cash from "Barclays" Bank ATMs when you use your BOA debit card. Hope this helps someone out there!

fairlypricedstuff said:   I'm from California but went to school in London, England. Bank of America do not charge any fees to withdraw cash from "Barclays" Bank ATMs when you use your BOA debit card. Hope this helps someone out there!Helpfull (and discussed repeatedly here), but not the topic of this thread. This thread is discussing FOREX fees on credit/charge card.

BTW, also true at BNP Paribas (France), BNL d'Italia (Italy), Deutsche Bank (Germany), Scotiabank (Canada and the Caribbean) & Westpac (Australia/New Zealand)

pisistratus said:   Thanks OP. Informative thread.

Another good question would be which credit cards give you CashBack overseas. For example, all CO cards do. Ex-Schwab, now BofA Rewards gives 2% back on groceries worldwide.

I'm curious whether PenFed Platinum Rewards gives 5% in points back everywhere in the world or is it just in the US? Anyone had experience?

I'm not aware of any rewards card which, as a rule, excludes foreign purchases from earning the same rewards they would in the U.S. While out of the country, I've used rewards cards from Chase, Providian (RIP), Citi, Discover, CapOne and BofA and in each case earned rewards, including bonus rewards based on the MCC of the merchant. In my most recent venture overseas, I used my BofA CashRewards (former Schwab) almost exclusively, earning not only the regular rewards and bonus rewards (3% on gas, 2% on grocery), but also my quarterly promo 3% statement credit for gas/grocery/drug/restaurant purchases. That said, I did have a couple of purchases not earn bonus rewards, presumably because the MCC was not properly assigned for that merchant. While that can certainly happen in the U.S. as well, it's my impression that this is more likely to happen out of the country. For that reason, unless I am certain that a particular merchant will be properly classified for bonus rebate (because I have shopped at that merchant in that country before), I'll assume I'm getting only the base rewards when determining which card to use. For example, if I'm shopping at a grocery store out of country and I have a card that gives me 5% on groceries but charges a 2% FTF, that's a 3% net profit, and I'd theoretically choose that over, say a 2% card with 0% FTF. But unless I know for certain that that particular location is properly classified to get the bonus, I'll go for the sure thing of 0% FTF.

Chris.

cpaynter said:   pisistratus said:   Thanks OP. Informative thread.

I'm not aware of any rewards card which, as a rule, excludes foreign purchases from earning the same rewards they would in the U.S. While out of the country, I've used rewards cards from Chase, Providian (RIP), Citi, Discover, CapOne and BofA and in each case earned rewards, including bonus rewards based on the MCC of the merchant. In my most recent venture overseas, I used my BofA CashRewards (former Schwab) almost exclusively, earning not only the regular rewards and bonus rewards (3% on gas, 2% on grocery), but also my quarterly promo 3% statement credit for gas/grocery/drug/restaurant purchases. That said, I did have a couple of purchases not earn bonus rewards, presumably because the MCC was not properly assigned for that merchant. While that can certainly happen in the U.S. as well, it's my impression that this is more likely to happen out of the country. For that reason, unless I am certain that a particular merchant will be properly classified for bonus rebate (because I have shopped at that merchant in that country before), I'll assume I'm getting only the base rewards when determining which card to use. For example, if I'm shopping at a grocery store out of country and I have a card that gives me 5% on groceries but charges a 2% FTF, that's a 3% net profit, and I'd theoretically choose that over, say a 2% card with 0% FTF. But unless I know for certain that that particular location is properly classified to get the bonus, I'll go for the sure thing of 0% FTF.

Chris.

In the Schwab 2% card thread, people said the BoA 3-2-1 card they received as replacement don't have foreign transaction/currency fee similar to the old Schwab card.

UPDATE: Regarding the FIA Am.Ex, I had previously cited the amounts that appeared as Temporary Authorizations (which did not include a forex fee). Once the transactions posted, the transaction amounts increased by 1%, so I can confirm that the FIA Am.Ex does indeed charge a 1% forex fee.

I thought that the class action suits regarding forex fees led to CC issuers being required to separately itemized forex fees...?

ymarker said:   I used the FIA AM3X when I traveled abroad recently. Even though they themselves claim not to charge they still take out 1% and said AM3X/Visa charges that and so they tack it onto the original cost. So it doesn't show up as a seperate charge and consequently I got nowhere in trying to get them to take it off. The fido debit card also works the same way.
This is not my experience with either the Fidelity FIA Am.Ex or the Fidelity Cash Management debit card (formerly MySmartCash). I used my Fidelity Am.Ex on Friday 4/27 in Canada and got an exchange rate of $1 CAD = $1.017409 USD. According to Visa, their exchange rate on 4/27 was 1 CAD = 1.019992 USD:
http://corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_services/consumer_ex_rates...

Incorrect previous info:
I'm still dealing with this issue with Fidelity's debit card servicer (as of May 10):
I also used my Fidelity Cash Management debit card at an ATM on 4/27 and got an exchange rate of 1 CAD = 1.02072 USD, which is less than .1% higher than the Visa exchange rate. Fidelity also reimburses [foreign] ATM surcharges. On the other hand, my husband used his Fidelity Cash Management debit card at an ATM inside a restaurant on 4/24 and got a bizarre exchange rate of 1.0544, which is absurdly high, so I've sent Fidelity an email to find out what happened, but otherwise my experience has always been that my Fidelity debit card does not charge any forex fees.

The best exchange rate that I got during my visit was at Wanda's Belgian Waffles on Yonge St in downtown Toronto. They took my $20 USD bill at par and gave me change in CAD. Best Belgian waffles I've ever had too (I've never been to Belgium though). It's right next to a strip club, so I suggest a FWF field trip

Isn't there a flyertalk chart on this?

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Isn't there a flyertalk chart on this?
Yes, though it is not accurate on the Fidelity cards in my experience:
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_...
(I know that Fidelity claims its Cash Management debit card charges a 1% forex fee, but I've never been charged.)

beethovengirl said:   ... so I've sent Fidelity an email to find out what happened, but otherwise my experience has always been that my Fidelity debit card does not charge any forex fees..

Thank you for the update, please post what they say about the debit card.

beethovengirl said:   ymarker said:   I used the FIA AM3X when I traveled abroad recently. Even though they themselves claim not to charge they still take out 1% and said AM3X/Visa charges that and so they tack it onto the original cost. So it doesn't show up as a seperate charge and consequently I got nowhere in trying to get them to take it off. The fido debit card also works the same way.
This is not my experience with either the Fidelity FIA Am.Ex or the Fidelity Cash Management debit card (formerly MySmartCash). I used my Fidelity Am.Ex on Friday 4/27 in Canada and got an exchange rate of $1 CAD = $1.017409 USD. According to Visa, their exchange rate on 4/27 was 1 CAD = 1.019992 USD:

I also used my Fidelity Cash Management debit card at an ATM on 4/27 and got an exchange rate of 1 CAD = 1.02072 USD, which is less than .1% higher than the Visa exchange rate. Fidelity also reimburses [foreign] ATM surcharges. On the other hand, my husband used his Fidelity Cash Management debit card at an ATM inside a restaurant on 4/24 and got a bizarre exchange rate of 1.0544, which is absurdly high, so I've sent Fidelity an email to find out what happened, but otherwise my experience has always been that my Fidelity debit card does not charge any forex fees.

The best exchange rate that I got during my visit was at Wanda's Belgian Waffles on Yonge St in downtown Toronto. They took my $20 USD bill at par and gave me change in CAD. Best Belgian waffles I've ever had too (I've never been to Belgium though). It's right next to a strip club, so I suggest a FWF field trip

That's interesting. All the documentation I have about my FIA AMEX (including what Fidelity told me) points towards a 3% forex fee on all transactions on the card. The FIA Visa has a 1% forex fee on all transactions. But, to be fair, I've never done any foreign transactions with them for that reason.

beethovengirl said:   . I used my Fidelity Am.Ex on Friday 4/27 in Canada and got an exchange rate of $1 CAD = $1.017409 USD. According to Visa, their exchange rate on 4/27 was 1 CAD = 1.019992 USD:

Just curious, does AMEX use the same rate as Visa?

Also, for the cards that split out the ForEx fees, are they used to calculate your points each month?

JCB cards trump CapOne:

So it's like the capone card. But what's better about JCB is the chip/pin, and it's also the only credit card network to not be supporting the US CISPA bill (more in this thread). Capone is particularly lousy here, because both the bank and the network it rides on are supporting CISPA.

Must reside in California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon or Washington to get one.

bonghead said:   JCB cards trump CapOne:

So it's like the capone card. But what's better about JCB is the chip/pin, and it's also the only credit card network to not be supporting the US CISPA bill (more in this thread). Capone is particularly lousy here, because both the bank and the network it rides on are supporting CISPA.

Must reside in California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon or Washington to get one.

I didn't know you could get a JCB (or any chip and pin card) in the US. They don't seem to have great rewards (seems like 1% back rounded down to the nearest dollar on each statement AFAICT) but chip and pin is very useful in some places. Also it can be used anywhere that takes Discover.

Just found out Household Bank 2% Cash Back card doesn't charge any fees

HSBC Premier World MasterCard

HSBC Premier

The card itself does not have an annual fee, however you have to be an Premier customer to be able to get the card.

So as you get really into this, it is believed via other posts in the forum that Mastercard usually has a better exchange rate than Visa when your bank is waiving the fees. Assuming both cards have no foreign charge fee though, a Visa with more CashBack would still be preferred.

Rasheed

LukFilm said:   Just found out Household Bank 2% Cash Back card doesn't charge any fees

Do you want to post the date, amount, and country of the charge to verify?

Rasheed

bonghead said:   JCB cards trump CapOne:

no FX fee
no annual fee
1% Cash Back
EMV chip

I guess it must have to be the vanilla JCB card then. I have a co-branded JCB card and it has no chip. Tho I haven't used it internationally for a long time, I remembered it had a low FX fee (1%?) when I used it.

Some US banks are issuing chip cards. Most are Chip and Signature (Chase, Citi) but Andrews FCU offers a Chip and PIN card for those who are interested. It's a pain to get though (e.g. income verification, slow processing - I'm still waiting on mine that I applied for in mid-March and was approved for).

JCB may issue a chip card, but it looks like it DOES charge a 1.1% foreign transaction fee:
http://www.jcbusa.com/MitsuwaAndOthers_TILA_Agreement_2011.pdf

FOREIGN TRANSACTIONS. If you use the Card for a transaction in a currency other than U.S. dollars, we and our affiliate company will convert such
transaction amount into U.S. dollars pursuant to the then-applicable conversion procedures and operating regulations. Currently, we and our affiliate company use wholesale exchange rates, with the exception of certain currencies where there are government-mandated exchange rates. In each case, such applicable rate will be increased by 1.1% by our affiliate company as an exchange fee and we will bill you for the U.S. dollar amount so calculated. If a credit is issued for a transaction, the credit amount will be calculated in the same manner. The currency conversion rate used on the conversion date may differ from the rate in effect on the date you transact on the Card or the date on which such transaction is posted. You agree to accept such converted amount in U.S. dollars.

rasheedb said:   LukFilm said:   Just found out Household Bank 2% Cash Back card doesn't charge any fees

Rasheed

4/26, $19, Jamaica. I was also in the Czech Republic in July 2011 and there were no foreign exchange fees as well.

Read it closer:
larryc said:   JCB may issue a chip card, but it looks like it DOES charge a 1.1% foreign transaction fee:

FOREIGN TRANSACTIONS. If you use the Card for a transaction in a currency other than U.S. dollars, we and our affiliate company will convert such
transaction amount into U.S. dollars pursuant to the then-applicable conversion procedures and operating regulations. Currently, we and our affiliate company use wholesale exchange rates, with the exception of certain currencies where there are government-mandated exchange rates. In each case, such applicable rate will be increased by 1.1% by our affiliate company as an exchange fee and we will bill you for the U.S. dollar amount so calculated. If a credit is issued for a transaction, the credit amount will be calculated in the same manner. The currency conversion rate used on the conversion date may differ from the rate in effect on the date you transact on the Card or the date on which such transaction is posted. You agree to accept such converted amount in U.S. dollars.

No company can escape a government mandate. If other cards are not disclosing this, they are simply failing to disclose, they aren't breaking the law for you.

dupe

bonghead said:   Read it closer:
larryc said:   JCB may issue a chip card, but it looks like it DOES charge a 1.1% foreign transaction fee:

No company can escape a government mandate. If other cards are not disclosing this, they are simply failing to disclose, they aren't breaking the law for you.

Huh?

The term said it uses wholesale rate unless there's a government mandated rate. The part of the sentence you highlighted has nothing to do with the exchange fee. The fee is mentioned in the next sentence stating that 1.1% will be added in either case.

Bump for new BOA products, including two annual-fee-free credit cards with no foreign currency fees! Thanks qwerty12345otron!

UPDATE: Regarding the FIA Fidelity Am.Ex, I had previously cited the amounts that appeared as Temporary Authorizations (which did not include a forex fee). Once the transactions posted, the transaction amounts increased by 1%, so I can confirm that the FIA Am.Ex does indeed charge a 1% forex fee.

I thought that the class action suits regarding forex fees led to CC issuers being required to separately itemize forex fees...?

I actually have a screenshot of the temporary authorizations, which are 1% lower than the posted transactions...wonder if I should inquire with FIA about this...

What about the American Express Pass (debit) card? Claims to have no foreign currency fees.
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1113020/

beethovengirl said:   UPDATE: Regarding the FIA Fidelity Am.Ex, I had previously cited the amounts that appeared as Temporary Authorizations (which did not include a forex fee). Once the transactions posted, the transaction amounts increased by 1%, so I can confirm that the FIA Am.Ex does indeed charge a 1% forex fee.

I thought that the class action suits regarding forex fees led to CC issuers being required to separately itemize forex fees...?

I actually have a screenshot of the temporary authorizations, which are 1% lower than the posted transactions...wonder if I should inquire with FIA about this...

If you go to the Fidelity AMEX website and got to the application (https://www.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=VABBUH#apply... if you scroll down to the fees section, you'll see that AMEX will add a 1% foreign transaction fee: " (2) applies a 1% commission to the converted amount"

Also, when I log into the FIA card services pages, there is a little icon next to temporary authorization, one of items it mentions is: " The temporary authorization transaction is not always equal to the actual amount charged, but rather it represents an anticipated amount the merchant uses until the actual charge is processed. The actual transaction amount will appear on the account once the merchant's bank and all intermediary banks finish processing the transaction."

so I don't think they are doing anything wrong with having a temporary authorization without the forx fee, and then when the charge actually posts to the account adding in the fee.

LukFilm said:   rasheedb said:   LukFilm said:   Just found out Household Bank 2% Cash Back card doesn't charge any fees

Rasheed

4/26, $19, Jamaica. I was also in the Czech Republic in July 2011 and there were no foreign exchange fees as well.

Thanks for the follow-up. I guess now that Capital One has taken over, it remains to see how long until they make it official. According to the terms I have on similar cards from old HSBC (via Salinas), they list a foreign transaction fee.

Rasheed

Skipping 17 Messages...
FW10001 said:   2. How's the acceptance, if any, for Discover card in India? I've seen posts about it being accepted in China and SE Asia.
Not accepted. Even AMEX has low acceptance due to high merchant fees.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014