• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Any other FWF members use ETrade bill pay? Anyone use EZbills?

Today they let loose their new system. I can't stand it. First they assume you want to give your passwords to all your financial accounts to them so they can make your life simpler. Not gonna happen on my watch. Second you can't see the payments by account so you can easily see which bills have been a while since you paid.

Anyone have any feedback for the new system? It took me 30 minutes to pay my bills. Usually this is something I could do with the old system in about 3 minutes. I'd scan my list to see which had lapse, browse my mail for statements, grab the amounts from the other sites, pay, and done. I'd do this once a week.

Thoughts?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Gotta say I don't care much for this "upgrade" either. Basic issues are as follows:

1) ugh - horizontal scrolling (nothin... (more)

aaronmpearson (Jul. 18, 2012 @ 7:40a) |

I'm not following, exactly what kind of "surprise" are you getting? Are they debiting a different amount that was enter... (more)

zoop76 (Jul. 18, 2012 @ 9:46a) |

Agree with all - it's borderline unusable and the UI is not polished.
Clearly it's been outsourced. A bad sign indeed.

dathey2012 (Jul. 24, 2012 @ 12:25p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I agree I just sent them some online feedbac about how much I used to love telling people how great the interface was on ETrade 's bill pay and now it is awful and clunky. You can't easily see your last payment and it takes a long time to load. I to used to pay my bills in minutes and now it's takes twice the time. This looks like a technology downgrade instead of an upgrade.

I agree I just sent them some online feedbac about how much I used to love telling people how great the interface was on ETrade 's bill pay and now it is awful and clunky. You can't easily see your last payment and it takes a long time to load. I to used to pay my bills in minutes and now it's takes twice the time. This looks like a technology downgrade instead of an upgrade.

This is likely using screen scraping from these other account websites (hence the reason for giving them your password). How often do you log on to Mint.com
and find an account that wasn't able to update? Are you willing to risk paying a bill on time by using the same technology?

I like the old system better, could multi pay all on one screen, see when last paid bill, I used to tell everyone E-Trade had the best bill pay, not any more

Yep, it's ugly and slow. The best feature of the old bill pay was that you could hide old or rarely used payees without deleting them. The hiding feature is gone.

Now they all show up in that horrible horizontal scrolling icon selector. You can only see seven payees at once!

The "User settings" dialog box makes no sense at all, and the "Setup assistant" is even worse.

They seem to have dropped all but 12 months of bill pay history.

It's also quite odd that when you enter bill pay, you go through three levels of redirection, through three different domains. Truly awful. Bill pay is such a simple thing. I'm going to switch over to my local credit union's bill pay.

Overall, this looks like an effort to outsource the bill pay system--not an attempt to improve bill pay, but to cut costs. I don't have a problem with that, except that they chose a really bad provider.

+1
It really sucks.
So glad they are working on this instead of raising the "lifetime enrollment limit" on external accounts to transfer money. NOT.

The new user interface is HORRIBLE! Ugh!!! Usually it takes me just a few minutes to pay my bills. This time, it took me a frustrating 30 minutes and guess what? I'm not even sure if it went through or not. After the clicked the "Confirm all payments" button, all the fields got cleared. There was no confirmation message. And there is not "Pending" page. WTF?!! Are these guys crazy? I am sooooo frustrated with this crap!!!!!

anyone know of a bank that has a bill pay like E-trades old bill pay, I really need to upgrade to a new bank

Going to have to agree on all counts. The old interface was not jazzy, but it worked very well. The new interface is, well, terrible. General issues with the new interface:

- slow
- inconsistent user interface
- list of payees is slow, childish, and clunky
- hovering over a payee to get the 'options' section is maddeningly precise (don't go outside the lines!)
- payee slider cannot be sorted by 'recently paid'
- after selecting payee it doesn't show me my most recent payment date & amount

Also notice that the URL changes to "ezbills.com". The domain is registered to Fidelity. Your information has just been outsourced. Overall...booo.

Going to have to agree on all counts. The old interface was not jazzy, but it worked very well. The new interface is, well, terrible. General issues with the new interface:

- slow
- inconsistent user interface
- list of payees is slow, childish, and clunky
- hovering over a payee to get the 'options' section is maddeningly precise (don't go outside the lines!)
- payee slider cannot be sorted by 'recently paid'
- after selecting payee it doesn't show me my most recent payment date & amount

Also notice that the URL changes to "ezbills.com". The domain is registered to Fidelity. Your information has just been outsourced. Overall...booo.

The horizontal scroller is worst interface I've seen. All labels for my payees get cutoff. Agree with the other posters as well. Wish there were a way to submit feedback to ETrade .
Also,
anyone find a way to change the default account for bill pay. it keeps defaulting to the wrong account.

I also just noticed that Bills which are sent out by Check show as Paid on the billpay side but don't deduct the funds from the banking side until the check is presented for payment. (this is the way PNC bank billpay works also). Is this a way to potentially generate more overdraft income? Probably.

I have been in customer service hell over my top 3 complaints with this...in their mind, they informed me via smart alerts so its not a "bank or system error". WTF? They changed the system so its their issue! 1. funds used to be deducted and reserved for the payment when its sent..not anymore..inadventently bounced two bill pay checks because of this..this never happened before..i didnt know they changed this til too late. #2, interface IS horrible..i hate scroll windows. #3 i used to have multiple payments to the same vender...i get paid twice a month so i make 2 credit card payments, for example..not anymore..they just deleted the payments and didnt tell me...i have to go sort out which ones they ditched..pain in the ***. I am going to BOA...at least their Bill Pay works and how I used to do it.

ETrade Bill Pay is currently down and like others are saying I don't see the money coming out of my checking, even though last week it said the bills were paid.

ok I'll add my two cents . This system was touted as a great improvement and features you will love . Well I guess they think we are idiots that will say " gee this is so great not being able to limit my payees to ones I send out regularly , gee this is so great that the names are now truncated ,gee this is so great that if I see a bill in the history window I can't click it and pay this month , gee this is so great that the cutoff time has been decreased 15 hours so to pay a bill today I had to of entered it yesterday, gee its so great doing business with people who believe I believe their bs .
-chaz

This UI is so bad on so many levels. I wrote them a complaint, spoke to a rep, etc - admitted no customer usability or feedback done for customers! For such a large corp., this is a HUGE blunder. Here's my gripe. #1) Ribbon UI so bad - has anyone ever seen this "novel" UI control on any other significant web site? The ribbon icons take up so much real-estate, fonts are tiny, and brief titles are truncated! #2) Zillion clicks to pay a couple of bills - in UI parlance, there are people called "click-counters" - what do you think they do for usability? #3) Tiny light grey fonts on white background makes it difficult for boomers to read - my guess that represents a good cross section of population. #4) Ok, accept the ribbon, then the fill-in slots must be context auto-fill to help locate your payer? Nope, not even that. The executives who made this decision should be fired. They are thumbing their noses at the customer and basically saying tough-crap, we cannot undo it - mgmt CYA. BTW, what kind of IT shop plans a major release w/o the capability of undoing what they did? The last I remember Facebook did some about face with their UI changes. At the very least offer up the old UI as a CHOICE! A real person spoke to me, to try to "comfort" me, gave me some BS like the old system has some issues and they had to upgrade. Hello??? I have been using the old interface for over a decade and in today's modern world, there is a problem with it that you cannot fix that you must update it with something so useless. I am so dependent on the old UI that I have to consider switching banks. It is simply unusable. Wish you all luck.

I agree with the others, I'm not a fan of the new system and I hope ETrade is reading this. I dont know why they had to change it. The new layout is terrible. I will admit I do like the scroll feature on the top to easy find a bill. I would much perfer the old style and maybe this on top. It was just as easy to scroll down and look for the company.

With the old system I use to beable to "send" a payment the same day up to 6pm est. Usually in this case it would be sent and the merchant would get it the next day in most cases. Now, payment isn't sent till the following day and takes a few days. I also dont like how know when you post a payment, it does not subtract from your balance till the payment is sent. Why would they give this up? This was a great feature. Now I dont know how much I really have unless I subtract all my recent bills that are yet to be posted.

The changes will cause me to leave ETrade . Their bill pay was the only reason Ive had them for 10 years. Once I find another bank I like, see ya ETrade .

I just sent ETrade similar feedback and they said they forwarded it on? Probably a lie. I absolutely agree their new bill pay system took a step back into the 1990's I have over drafted twice because they now do not withdraw funds immediately on payees that do not accept ACH transfers. This makes you think you have money you don't - pretty lousy of them, they should have sent a notice of this rather than just letting people find out. Here are my 3 main issues I voiced to them, I could have added many more but tried to keep it simple for them:

1. The withdraw funds change creates disparity with the other automatic payments that are deducted on the day they are scheduled and gives a false report of funds available causing overdrafts.

2. The payments for these payees is no longer classified in the account details section. Before I would see the payee name and now I see “Check 7001, 7002”. This is very cumbersome as I have to physically click on the item to see who the payee is. “Check 7001 and 7002” etc is not intuitive to any user.

3. The manage your bills section is poorly designed with horizontal and vertical scroll areas

I am seriously thinking of dropping ETrade and using one of my other Banks.

I just sent ETrade similar feedback and they said they forwarded it on? Probably a lie. I absolutely agree their new bill pay system took a step back into the 1990's I have over drafted twice because they now do not withdraw funds immediately on payees that do not accept ACH transfers. This makes you think you have money you don't - pretty lousy of them, they should have sent a notice of this rather than just letting people find out. Here are my 3 main issues I voiced to them, I could have added many more but tried to keep it simple for them:

1. The withdraw funds change creates disparity with the other automatic payments that are deducted on the day they are scheduled and gives a false report of funds available causing overdrafts.

2. The payments for these payees is no longer classified in the account details section. Before I would see the payee name and now I see “Check 7001, 7002”. This is very cumbersome as I have to physically click on the item to see who the payee is. “Check 7001 and 7002” etc is not intuitive to any user.

3. The manage your bills section is poorly designed with horizontal and vertical scroll areas

I am seriously thinking of dropping ETrade and using one of my other Banks.

This upgrade is a POS. I've just hit send on my third complaint. I'll be looking at competitors after 12 years with these guys. My equity account is the first in the list of accounts and defaults now for all payments in Bill Pay. I changed them all to pull from my Checking account only to find out after missing a few payment deadlines that it only changed for the one login session and defaulted back on the next login - WHAT... So now I login, go into multiple payment mode and have to check every frickin payee to ensure it is switched and pulling from the correct account. Never had to do that before. That in addition to the fact upon upgrade all of my custom categories got wiped out in lieu of their standards and I had to go in and re-add them, and then touch every payee again... Haven't been this mad at a vendor in a long long time.

After reviewing your request, at the present time, you are unable to set a default account for Bill Pay. You will need to change the payment account for every payment that you make. We are making changes to the Bill Pay platform based on customer feedback. I forwarded this suggestion to the Product Development Team for future consideration and implementation. I can not guarantee when or if this change will be able to be made, but I can assure you that all suggestions are considered.

So much for helping automate bill payments.. Now I'm back to having to check every payment before sending.. Heck at this pace, I'll be writing directions to my staff and mailing them to our offices via USPS versus email and VOIP... C'mon!!!

Gotta say I don't care much for this "upgrade" either. Basic issues are as follows:

1) ugh - horizontal scrolling (nothing more to say here, this is just a ridiculously bad interface design)
2) when a bill is payed by a check draft, the funds are not debited immediately - under the old bill payer, the balance was reflected right away - part of the main reason I loved drafting checks this way. Under this system you get a surprise some 3-5 days later when the bill you payed already finally debits.
3) I'm mixed on the whole "linking" of my accounts electronically - biggest problem here is that for half of them it doesn't seem to work at all.
4) when you set up and cancel a payment, the entry stays listed in the history below.

I don't understand why this update was even made - the old bill payment system was great! I thought it was pretty clear and easy to use, it linked nicely with your overall balance on the accounts page easily showing your updated estimated balance. This is a major step backward to a system that is poorly designed, clunky to use, and lagging in real-time information. Almost bad enough to just stop using the service altogether.

aaronmpearson said:   Under this system you get a surprise some 3-5 days later when the bill you payed already finally debits.
I'm not following, exactly what kind of "surprise" are you getting? Are they debiting a different amount that was entered?

Agree with all - it's borderline unusable and the UI is not polished.
Clearly it's been outsourced. A bad sign indeed.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014