• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I recently purchased a watch for over $1K, but want to return it. Just wondering what my options are- USPS is offering insurance for about $15, but I hate the thought of paying that in addition to shipping fees to return an item that wasn't in new condition. What are my options? Do any credit cards provide this protection? What do you all do- do you usually insure return items? If I don't insure and they say they never received the item (highly probable), then what are my alternatives?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Did you use FedEx and send a guy this as an antique:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1189677/

Horseymen (May. 04, 2012 @ 11:52p) |

What's a watch?

BEEFjerKAY (May. 05, 2012 @ 12:09a) |

USPS is terrible. Do not use them. They have lost too many of my packages to deserve my business.

isobro (May. 05, 2012 @ 7:33a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Don't send anything worth more than $100 via usps.

johnnybs said:   I recently purchased a watch for over $1K, but want to return it. Just wondering what my options are- USPS is offering insurance for about $15, but I hate the thought of paying that in addition to shipping fees to return an item that wasn't in new condition. What are my options? Do any credit cards provide this protection? What do you all do- do you usually insure return items? If I don't insure and they say they never received the item (highly probable), then what are my alternatives?
If the retailer sent you a used watch claiming it to be new and you are returning it, $15 is cheap insurance for a 1k product.

Your options are to pay the $15 or check rates for other carriers like UPS and FedEx. Credit cards do not provide shipping insurance. I insure anything that's worth more than $100. If you don't insure it and they say they never received it, there's nothing you could do.

Personally, I'd ship it via FedEx insured for the full value. With FedEx, any item insured for $500 or more automatically requires a signature upon delivery. And, when FedEx loses a package, it takes less than 2 weeks to get your money back.

juliox said:   Don't send anything worth more than $100 via usps.

I've sent/received well over $100k worth of items via USPS and never had a loss.

I run a business and I have sent/received over 5 million dollars worth of products from my home and I would always use UPS or FedEx (more so FedEx) than usps. 99.9% of the packages have been fine but there have been a handful that have arrived very damaged, opened, or lost. If your 1k watch happens to be the unlucky package, that would be unfortunate. 20$ is a small price to pay for peace of mind. USPS should be fine but if something does go wrong, you 'll have to run through a lot of hoops to get your money (from experience)Beernuts82 said:   juliox said:   Don't send anything worth more than $100 via usps.

I've sent/received well over $100k worth of items via USPS and never had a loss.

Pray and hope Karma is on your side. Get the insurance and send it registered mail, if they lose it, they'll figure out where the watch got "lost".

Deliver the watch yourself.

$1000 insurance is about $8 with ups don't know how much with FedEx

Also be careful to check if the insurance of each carrier covers jewelry, it might not since it's such a high theft target . So you might be buying insurance which won't cover you even if you paid for it

It only worth it if the package gets lost! Insurance is for LOSS, if you only want proof of delivery which is usually good enough use delivery confirmation for free if you create your label online or for $1.19 from the PO. I have sent over 1800 packages over the last 2 years (eBay items valued at $100-$600) and had only one problem (which I think was fraud on buyers part but can't prove it but eBay sided with me).

Captain Koons said: Hello, little man. Boy, I sure heard a bunch about you. See, I was a good friend of your dad's. We were in that Hanoi pit of hell together for over five years. Hopefully, you'll never have to experience this yourself, but when two men are in a situation like me and your dad were, for as long as we were, you take on certain responsibilities of the other. If it had been me who had not made it, Major Coolidge would be talking right now to my son Jim. But the way it turned out is I'm talking to you, Butch. I got something for ya. [Holds up watch] This watch I got here was first purchased by your great-grandfather during the first world war. It was bought in a little general store in Knoxville, Tennessee, made by the first company to ever make wrist watches. Up until then, people just carried pocket watches. It was bought by Private Doughboy Ryan Coolidge the day he set sail for Paris. This was your great-grandfather's war watch, and he wore it every day he was in the war. Then when he had done his duty, he went home to your great-grandmother, took the watch off and put it in an old coffee can. And in that can it stayed 'til your granddad Dane Coolidge was called upon by his country to go overseas and fight the Germans once again. This time they called it World War Two. Your great-grandfather gave this watch to your granddad for good luck. Unfortunately, Dane's luck wasn't as good as his old man's. Dane was a Marine and he was killed along with all the other Marines at the battle of Wake Island. Your granddad was facing death, and he knew it. None of those boys had any illusions about ever leaving that island alive. So three days before the Japanese took the island, your granddad asked a gunner on an Air Force transport named Winocki, a man he had never met before in his life, to deliver to his infant son, who he had never seen in the flesh, his gold watch. Three days later, your granddad was dead. But Winocki kept his word. After the war was over, he paid a visit to your grandmother, delivering to your infant father, his Dad's gold watch. This watch. This watch was on your Daddy's wrist when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured and put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew if the gooks ever saw the watch that it'd be confiscated; taken away. The way your Dad looked at it, this watch was your birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yellow hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. And then he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass for two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the watch to you.

UPS/FedEx insurance doesn't cover jewelry. You need to use 3rd party insurance if you want to use them.
USPS Registered mail is very safe and fairly inexpensive.
Lots of watch company repair departments suggest using it when sending items in for repair.

http://www.u-pic.com/Home.aspx

I use them through Endicia and they're good. Check the ZIPs they don't cover for jewelry in the FAQs.

zippyh said:   UPS/FedEx insurance doesn't cover jewelry. You need to use 3rd party insurance if you want to use them.
USPS Registered mail is very safe and fairly inexpensive.
Lots of watch company repair departments suggest using it when sending items in for repair.

FedEx will cover jewelry up to $1k via their regular declared value policy (at an extra cost of course):

http://www.fedex.com/us/service-guide/terms/express-ground/index...

Shipments (packages or freight) containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of US$1,000:
[...]
7. Jewelry, including, but not limited to, costume jewelry, watches and their parts, mount gems or stones (precious or semiprecious), industrial diamonds, and jewelry made of precious metal.
[...]

If you want to ship something with a higher value, they have a separate program. Have no idea if it's cost effective: http://images.fedex.com/us/services/pdf/FedEx_Jewelry_Shipping_P...

I've had rotten luck with USPS insurance and don't recommend it. If you do, be sure to use a USPS box, preferably one that they pack at the post office. I've had claims denied for both of those reasons (using my own box and not enough packing).

I went through a few years of fairly active eBay selling. I always used a private insurer (in my case the company was Discount Shipping Insurance) for major ($250+) items. You can't buy "insurance" from FedEx - this is why they ask you to "declare a value".

Ship with FedEx they definitely get your money back faster than UPS and or USPS. I have had experiences with all three and in my opinion FedEx was the easier of the three to work with.

Do note USPS is insurance vs FDX/UPS is declared value.

Thieving couriers will actually target uninsured packages, because there is less attention on those claims, and no internal investigation. kloakndaggers 99.9% delivery figure must be for insured packages. Surely that number will be much lower on uninsured parcels.

johnnybs said:   If I don't insure and they say they never received the item (highly probable), then what are my alternatives?
You're obviously liable in that case.

I've always found it quite silly when an eBay seller makes insurance optional. The insurance protects the shipper, not the recipient. In those situations, I opt not to pay extra for insurance because it's their liability anyway.

UselessDrivel said:   I've had rotten luck with USPS insurance and don't recommend it. If you do, be sure to use a USPS box, preferably one that they pack at the post office. I've had claims denied for both of those reasons (using my own box and not enough packing).

I've had bad luck too and don't recommend it either.

johnnybs said:   I recently purchased a watch for over $1K, but want to return it. Just wondering what my options are- USPS is offering insurance for about $15, but I hate the thought of paying that in addition to shipping fees to return an item that wasn't in new condition. What are my options? Do any credit cards provide this protection? What do you all do- do you usually insure return items? If I don't insure and they say they never received the item (highly probable), then what are my alternatives?

I'd probably add "signature confirm" if using USPS.

Hate the thought of paying insurance? Deliver yourself then.

I have insured once with USPS when sending a laptop to get fixed. It seems like they pretty much destroyed the box and the laptop. i sent them pictures from the vendor and they refunded me the full asking price of repairs. Not one bit of trouble.

Definitely worth the price in that instance for me.

vegetation said:   Hate the thought of paying insurance? Deliver yourself then.This does not establish proof of delivery.

bonghead said:   vegetation said:   Hate the thought of paying insurance? Deliver yourself then.This does not establish proof of delivery.

You can video tape it

Jerry: So, we're going to make the post office pay for my new stereo now?
Kramer: It's a write-off for them.
Jerry: How is it a write-off?
Kramer: They just write it off.
Jerry: Write it off what?
Kramer: Jerry, all these big companies, they write off everything.
Jerry: You don't even know what a write-off is.
Kramer: Do you?
Jerry: No, I don't!
Kramer: But they do. And they're the ones writing it off.
Jerry: I wish I had the last twenty seconds of my life back.

The only time I insure packages is when I ship with FedEx items that are over $250. In those cases I insure to $500 always as $500 includes direct signature which costs ~$0.50 more than just direct signature (paypal\ Amazon require sig over $250) otherwise I self insure as the 0.5% FedEx and ups charge and the 1.5% usps charges is much higher than the ~0.1% loss rate I experience in sending ~5k items over last few years.

Cheapest insurance is tape and lots of it. H- Tape your box shut and tape all seams to ensure box doesn't burst \ glue on seam of box to come undone if gets damp etc.

If you must insure send either express or registered if sending with USPS as the insurance is about 1\3 as much as if sent first class\ parcel post\ priority

USPS insurance is a joke. Remember, at the post office they aren't concerned about the customer or profit, but social engineering.

Did you use FedEx and send a guy this as an antique:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1189677/

What's a watch?

USPS is terrible. Do not use them. They have lost too many of my packages to deserve my business.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014