Health coverage gap (Abroad trip)

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I pay for the self employed health insurance for the family of four and the premium is around $1000 per month. It is a highest deductible HSA plan in California. We do not have any pre-existing condition, but do have history of surgeries.

We are planning to live outside of the US for around a year. Is it recommended to continue US health insurance coverage during this period? If not, would this gap create any issue or increase the premiums when we apply for health insurance after coming back to the US?

Thanks

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

pavi123 said:   I pay for the self employed health insurance for the family of four and the premium is around $1000 per month. We do not have any per-existing condition, but do have history of surgeries.

We are planning to live outside of the US for around a year. Is it recommended to continue US health insurance coverage during this period? If not, would this gap create any issue or increase the premiums when we apply for health insurance after coming back to the US?

Thanks

Can you convert the current plan to a high deductible?

Paying one thousand dollars a month for health insurance for a family of four is outrageous!

If you are only interested in keeping insurance to avoid a gap, then perhaps you can shop other states, perhaps one has a plan that won't cost you 12K just to avoid a gap for a year.
After all, where you are going to live, is probably where you will buy some insurance to cover you in that other country.

I thought the gap rule only applies the first time you buy private insurance after having group (employer based) insurance. There is no gap protection for pre-existing conditions when you buy any subsequent medical insurance : basically you are stuck with the first private insurance policy you buy if you want to avoid pre-existing condition exclusions.

Has the law somehow changed due to the new health care law : I thought it doesn't kick in till 2014 (for adults) ?

We are going to a developing country and will not have any insurance coverage for the year.

pavi123 said:   We are going to a developing country and will not have any insurance coverage for the year.

In that case I don't understand why you would not keep your existing coverage, so you can return to USA for treatment of any serious medical conditions. Most US medical insurance does provide some emergency coverage while abroad.

Unless the local medical care is both good and cheap so it is cheaper to go without insurance.

Looking for more suggestions.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014