• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Link

It's not foolproof & only involves TransUnion at this time, but it's a start.

Note: Maryland parents have an even better option to stop ID theft before it happens. Last month, state lawmakers passed a law that allows parents to place a freeze on their children's credit report as a preemptive measure against identity theft.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

So if you date someone who has stolen a child's ID, does that make you a pedophile?

Children can't enter into contracts. Who cares if someone steals their ID?

often my toddler approaches and horses with vending machines. i remind her she has no money and ask her to keep following me. if someone steals her id, that would be weird. firstly, they would either need to be her age to be convincing or they would be an adult who would look silli pretending to be a baby. secondly, they too would have no money for a candy bar.

Illegal immigrants may be using child's SS# for their employer to withhold taxes, for example, when identity verification is not performed. This is not exactly identity theft, but would be detected, I suppose. Should it be stopped? Your child is ”earning” Social Security benefits while this is going on... Also, they won't be issued a new SS# anyway. But it is probably worth it to monitor regardless.

Would it detect someone opening a custodial account for your child without your knowledge (e.g. someone who already has their info, like a grandparent who previously opened such accounts)? I am not sure.

Would it alert you if someone listed your child as a beneficiary? Almost certainly not.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014