• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have an at fault accident that occurred just over 3 years ago. I am repricing auto insurance and found that many (in fact most) auto insurance quote forms I have come across ask for incidents in the past 5 years. These companies have been quoting me out higher than those only looking at 3 years. I searched previous topics here and searched google without much luck finding a list of insurers that only look at the 3 previous years of a driver's record.

I did most of the legwork to start a list that may help others that are in a similar situation. Keep in mind this may be state specific so YMMV but here are my results for drivers in Oregon. Please add any others to the list that you have encountered as this could be a useful resource in the absence of any other list out there that I can find:

AAA -OR (3 Years for an at fault accident; 3 years for not at fault accidents, claims, or violations)
Farmers -OR (3 Years for an at fault accident; 3 years for not at fault accidents, claims, or violations)
GMAC -OR (3 Years for an at fault accident; 3 years for not at fault accidents, claims, or violations)
Kemper (Unitrin) -OR (3 Years for an at fault accident; 3 years for not at fault accidents, claims, or violations)
Amica -OR (3 years for all accidents or violations; 5 years for a claim)
Statefarm -OR (3 years for minor accidents, claims, or violations; 5 years for a major violation)
Progressive -OR (5 Years for an at fault accident; 3 years for not at fault accidents, claims, or violations)
Allstate -OR (5 Years for an at fault accident; 5 years for not at fault accidents, claims, or violations)
MetLife -OR (5 Years for an at fault accident; 5 years for not at fault accidents, claims, or violations)
Nationwide -OR (5 Years for an at fault accident; 5 years for not at fault accidents, claims, or violations)
Geico -OR (5 Years for an at fault accident; 5 years for not at fault accidents, claims, or violations)
Travelers -OR (5 Years for an at fault accident; 5 years for not at fault accidents, claims, or violations)
Ameriprise (Costco)-OR (3 Years for accidents or claims; 5 years for traffic violations)

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Note this is not true in all states. Some, such as CA, forbid the use of credit scores in determining auto insurance ra... (more)

Jason986 (May. 06, 2012 @ 12:10p) |

Out of curiosity, I see that Allstate is listed as a 5 years record pull. However, doesn't that depend on the state? I... (more)

Engineer (May. 06, 2012 @ 12:41p) |

Thanks a bunch for the detailed response. Very helpful.

Solobear (May. 07, 2012 @ 9:35p) |

AAA -OR (3 Years for an at fault accident; 3 years for not at fault accidents, claims, or violations)
Farmers -OR (3 Years for an at fault accident; 3 years for not at fault accidents, claims, or violations)
GMAC -OR (3 Years for an at fault accident; 3 years for not at fault accidents, claims, or violations)
Kemper (Unitrin) -OR (3 Years for an at fault accident; 3 years for not at fault accidents, claims, or violations)
Amica -OR (3 years for all accidents or violations; 5 years for a claim)
Statefarm -OR (3 years for minor accidents, claims, or violations; 5 years for a major violation)
Progressive -OR (5 Years for an at fault accident; 3 years for not at fault accidents, claims, or violations)
Allstate -OR (5 Years for an at fault accident; 5 years for not at fault accidents, claims, or violations)
MetLife -OR (5 Years for an at fault accident; 5 years for not at fault accidents, claims, or violations)
Nationwide -OR (5 Years for an at fault accident; 5 years for not at fault accidents, claims, or violations)
Geico -OR (5 Years for an at fault accident; 5 years for not at fault accidents, claims, or violations)
Travelers -OR (5 Years for an at fault accident; 5 years for not at fault accidents, claims, or violations)
Ameriprise (Costco)-OR (3 Years for accidents or claims; 5 years for traffic violations)

Add Ameriprise (Costco) who are giving best rates/service nowadays!

GREEN for providing information and not begging for it.

Oh, and what's the driving equivalent of "pay your bills, deadbeat"? "Get off your phone, woman"? I kid, I kid.

ETA: "Obey your skills, leadfeet!"

shivarajan said:   Add Ameriprise (Costco) who are giving best rates/service nowadays!

Thanks for the tip. I'll add it to the OP. Ameriprise quoted higher for me but was worth a shot based on the 3 year lookback.

Love the post. Not a big fan of using "out" after your verbs though lol. I hear this way too much at work... "build out", "report out", etc.

wawanesa looks at 3 years as well.

EDIT: Nevermind. I thought I was posting a new one, but I just missed it in the OP.

I've posted this in other threads, but I was told by an agent who writes Progressive policies that Progressive weighs your credit score more than any other insurer. I had contacted her for an Amica quote, and she said she also writes Progressive policies for people who Amica won't touch. She has seen Progressive offer genuinely good rates to people with recent DWIs as long as their credit is solid. She only mentioned this because I had Progressive at the time, and my rate was much cheaper than the competition for a single guy in his 20s. She was speculating that other companies couldn't touch it due to Progressive weighing my good credit score.

So if your record is tarnished, but you have good credit, Progressive might be the way to go.

I'll vouch for that info Vic! Nobody's been able to touch my Progressive rates for the past 5 years because of my driving skillz. Always wondered why Progressive was so good on rates, thank God for my great Credit Score.

wiggy44k said:   Love the post. Not a big fan of using "out" after your verbs though lol. I hear this way too much at work... "build out", "report out", etc.

Go ahead and log out then.

wiggy44k said:   Love the post. Not a big fan of using "out" after your verbs though lol. I hear this way too much at work... "build out", "report out", etc.

He did it once. You implied multiple. You must hear it so much at the office you just add it in your head when you read/hear other people now.

thanks. is there a website which compares all the auto insurance's quotes for one time entry of details???

Yes, but they're very spammy.

Have a take and don't suck. I am out. Rack me.

VicVinegar said:   I've posted this in other threads, but I was told by an agent who writes Progressive policies that Progressive weighs your credit score more than any other insurer. I had contacted her for an Amica quote, and she said she also writes Progressive policies for people who Amica won't touch. She has seen Progressive offer genuinely good rates to people with recent DWIs as long as their credit is solid. She only mentioned this because I had Progressive at the time, and my rate was much cheaper than the competition for a single guy in his 20s. She was speculating that other companies couldn't touch it due to Progressive weighing my good credit score.

So if your record is tarnished, but you have good credit, Progressive might be the way to go.

I am surprised by this, not saying you are wrong, but my experience has been different.

My credit score is pretty high (780+); no negatives. Always been that way. Driving record clean. No claims.

A year or so ago when I was shopping around for insurance I contacted some half a dozen companies. 5 of them were within $20-50 of each other.

Progressive was 2.5 times the next highest estimate I got. Yes a good $500 or so more.

I was so ticked. They couldn't say why. Except that they didn't have good rates in my area. WTF?? Why do they keep sending me spam mail every two weeks then?

Progressive is typically for high risk drivers (dui, multiple accidents, youthful drivers). Now in some specific markets their standard rates are moderately competitive (college market areas). They are by no means known as a 'preferred' company.

Wow! Just in time to make a decision. Spouse hits mercedes (fortunately only scratches paint but still a whopping $1100 just because we poor souls happened to touch a MRDECIS...my goodness cannot even spell that monster). ANyone know how much insurance will go up.
ALso time to change insurance company. Presently with Geico and paying about 650 per 6 months for 2 cars @ 250 deductible. Anywhere I could get lesser.
(just about three years back insurace rose from $480 to $650 because my car fell in a ditch and attempts to drive it out rammed the back of another car).
TIA.

StinkPot said:   Wow! Just in time to make a decision. Spouse hits mercedes (fortunately only scratches paint but still a whopping $1100 just because we poor souls happened to touch a MRDECIS...my goodness cannot even spell that monster). ANyone know how much insurance will go up.
ALso time to change insurance company. Presently with Geico and paying about 650 per 6 months for 2 cars @ 250 deductible. Anywhere I could get lesser.
(just about three years back insurace rose from $480 to $650 because my car fell in a ditch and attempts to drive it out rammed the back of another car).
TIA.

Insurance is extremely personal and company specific. You need to use your own 2 feet to find if other places offer better rates for the terms you are requesting. No one here can do the work for you.

StinkPot said:   Wow! Just in time to make a decision. Spouse hits mercedes (fortunately only scratches paint but still a whopping $1100 just because we poor souls happened to touch a MRDECIS...my goodness cannot even spell that monster). ANyone know how much insurance will go up.
TIA.

*Firstly, your insurance should not go up much for a small claim of $1100. Besides, why are you mad at the other driver for having a luxury car??? It's not HIS fault that your spouse hit him! Virtually all accidents are caused by someone not paying attention... typically this means texting this day in age.

Hmm... your car "fell in a ditch" - That's the first time I've ever heard that. Was your car walking along the road and slipped???

robstahl21 said:   StinkPot said:   Wow! Just in time to make a decision. Spouse hits mercedes (fortunately only scratches paint but still a whopping $1100 just because we poor souls happened to touch a MRDECIS...my goodness cannot even spell that monster). ANyone know how much insurance will go up.
TIA.

*Firstly, your insurance should not go up much for a small claim of $1100. Besides, why are you mad at the other driver for having a luxury car??? It's not HIS fault that your spouse hit him! Virtually all accidents are caused by someone not paying attention... typically this means texting this day in age.

Hmm... your car "fell in a ditch" - That's the first time I've ever heard that. Was your car walking along the road and slipped???

When were you last at the psychiatrist?

You may want to ask yourself the same question... if you think your car "fell" into a ditch.
Children fall into ditches, cars do notttttt. Cars get driven into ditches!

robstahl21 said:   You may want to ask yourself the same question... if you think your car "fell" into a ditch.
Children fall into ditches, cars do notttttt. Cars get driven into ditches!

Yeah! I found a ditch and drove it in. Do you fall in a ditch or you just walk in?

I particularly like the phrase, "attempts to drive it out rammed the back of another car." I picture someone shouting, "Go on, go on, you got it! Gun it! WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA! Why'd you DO that?"

VicVinegar said:   I've posted this in other threads, but I was told by an agent who writes Progressive policies that Progressive weighs your credit score more than any other insurer. I had contacted her for an Amica quote, and she said she also writes Progressive policies for people who Amica won't touch. She has seen Progressive offer genuinely good rates to people with recent DWIs as long as their credit is solid. She only mentioned this because I had Progressive at the time, and my rate was much cheaper than the competition for a single guy in his 20s. She was speculating that other companies couldn't touch it due to Progressive weighing my good credit score.

Generally, Progressive bases their business on the view that their risk forecasting models are better than other carriers', particularly for higher risk customers, so they can find customers who are lower risk than the other carriers think they are, and charge them less, and still make money.

cestmoi123 said:   Generally, Progressive bases their business on the view that their risk forecasting models are better than other carriers', particularly for higher risk customers, so they can find customers who are lower risk than the other carriers think they are, and charge them less, and still make money.

This business model sounds very familiar. Mortgage crisis anyone?

newbietx said:   VicVinegar said:   I've posted this in other threads, but I was told by an agent who writes Progressive policies that Progressive weighs your credit score more than any other insurer. I had contacted her for an Amica quote, and she said she also writes Progressive policies for people who Amica won't touch. She has seen Progressive offer genuinely good rates to people with recent DWIs as long as their credit is solid. She only mentioned this because I had Progressive at the time, and my rate was much cheaper than the competition for a single guy in his 20s. She was speculating that other companies couldn't touch it due to Progressive weighing my good credit score.

I am surprised by this, not saying you are wrong, but my experience has been different.

My credit score is pretty high (780+); no negatives. Always been that way. Driving record clean. No claims.

A year or so ago when I was shopping around for insurance I contacted some half a dozen companies. 5 of them were within $20-50 of each other.

Progressive was 2.5 times the next highest estimate I got. Yes a good $500 or so more.

I was so ticked. They couldn't say why. Except that they didn't have good rates in my area. WTF?? Why do they keep sending me spam mail every two weeks then?

Not sure. I went to Progressive as a single 23 year old with a clean record and clean credit history in the DC Metro area. They were several hundred a year cheaper than anyone else. Their credit score levels were very touchy though. My rate went up a few times during the 5 years I was there. I would call every time to complain/inquire why. I had the same car the whole time and a clean record. I paid my bill in full every time, on time. Usually they would just give that BS "cost of doing business has gone up" line, and I would look for a cheaper quote, find Progressive was still cheapest, and reluctantly stuck with them. Once, they mentioned my rate went up because my credit score "grade" went down. I had no clue why, so I asked if they could tell me what caused it. They transferred me to a "credit score department", who informed me my grade went from an A to a B that period. I checked my activity, and the only thing on there was that I opened a Costco AMEX. That was it. Look for any excuse maybe?

It was only when I got married and became eligible for USAA last year that I found a rate cheaper than Progressive. I will say, I never actually used Progressive for anything, so for all I know they might be terrible for claims.

Progressive is the worst out of all the insurance companies. Their rates are high, their customer service is horrible. They always lie. I do know that they are in the business to make money. But they make money with no ethics and morals. I would never recommend progressive to any one.

Progressive is the only company whose rates are close to what Geico offers when I was shopping around a few months ago. All other policies were 50% more (25 year old). It was the reverse when my twin brother first got his license. Dad's policy went from $400/6month to $4000+/6month. Geico was much more reasonable at $2000. I didn't get my license until college to save on insurance since we only had one car to share.

If you are in a state where they operate, Mercury Insurance often has reasonable rates.

You may want to check American Family, they are in Oregon and I have been with them for awhile.

priston said:   Progressive is the worst out of all the insurance companies. Their rates are high, their customer service is horrible. They always lie. I do know that they are in the business to make money. But they make money with no ethics and morals. I would never recommend progressive to any one.

Well my partner just had an awesome experience. Wasn't at fault, yet progressive was very responsive paying out the claim and getting the $ from the other insurance co. Fast response, friendly, etc. So YMMV.

Geico to Safeco to Esurance now. Paying almost half (for the same coverages) which I paid 5 yrs back!

I would not recommend Commerce. They are expensive but they process claims fairly quickly.

kwest said:   priston said:   Progressive is the worst out of all the insurance companies. Their rates are high, their customer service is horrible. They always lie. I do know that they are in the business to make money. But they make money with no ethics and morals. I would never recommend progressive to any one.

Well my partner just had an awesome experience. Wasn't at fault, yet progressive was very responsive paying out the claim and getting the $ from the other insurance co. Fast response, friendly, etc. So YMMV.

I had a sensational claim experience with Progressive when I totaled my approximately year-old Honda Civic.

They offered me just slightly more than MSRP for it. I was elated, and I quickly said "yes" and picked up the check from the local Progressive office. I used it to buy another new Civic.

I won't get into the details of that accident (I was young and dumb), but the Progressive claims process was sensational.

-mike

Progressive is TERRIBLE. Worst experience ever.

give allstate online quote a try.
AAA been charging me 1650$ for the last 3 years! just switched to allstate, 501$ for 6 months(1002$ a year).

Quick question. My wife just got in a car accident where she was rear ended. The other driver was of course at fault and was ticketed. We both have Progressive and the claim was processed under the at fault driver's policy. Does this impact my record at all? I would hope not, but you never know with insurance companies.

Also, for the record Progressive was really easy to deal with during the claims process. They ended up totaling our car, which I was thankful for, and went picked up a check the next day. Took maybe 15 minutes for the whole process.

Solobear said:   Quick question. My wife just got in a car accident where she was rear ended. The other driver was of course at fault and was ticketed. We both have Progressive and the claim was processed under the at fault driver's policy. Does this impact my record at all? I would hope not, but you never know with insurance companies.

Also, for the record Progressive was really easy to deal with during the claims process. They ended up totaling our car, which I was thankful for, and went picked up a check the next day. Took maybe 15 minutes for the whole process.
Not at fault accidents usually have little to no impact on your rate so I wouldn't worry about it

CLUE report (which shows your claims history) will show the vehicle owner, driver during accident and claim amount (it should show $0 & subrogation for you since the other policy paid) -- the claim will be reported on the vehicle owner's report along with the driver's report. If you were the owner of the car then both your CLUE reports will show the claim and it'll list you as the owner and your wife as the driver during the accident, but when you shop around for car insurance you only have to mention the accident under your wife's driving history since she was driving

You get 1 free CLUE report each year https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com so I would wait a few weeks and then check it so that the current accident info shows up on there

i agree. Received a 2 point violation jn CA and progressive was at least 50% cheaper than any other company, including those other companies who specialize in non-standard insurance. My good credit saved me at least $1000 a year. Go progressive. They also gave me a multi policy discount for insuring my motorcycle, so essentially its free.

Skipping 3 Messages...
jatan1986 said:   Solobear said:   Quick question. My wife just got in a car accident where she was rear ended. The other driver was of course at fault and was ticketed. We both have Progressive and the claim was processed under the at fault driver's policy. Does this impact my record at all? I would hope not, but you never know with insurance companies.

Not at fault accidents usually have little to no impact on your rate so I wouldn't worry about it

CLUE report (which shows your claims history) will show the vehicle owner, driver during accident and claim amount (it should show $0 & subrogation for you since the other policy paid) -- the claim will be reported on the vehicle owner's report along with the driver's report. If you were the owner of the car then both your CLUE reports will show the claim and it'll list you as the owner and your wife as the driver during the accident, but when you shop around for car insurance you only have to mention the accident under your wife's driving history since she was driving

You get 1 free CLUE report each year https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com so I would wait a few weeks and then check it so that the current accident info shows up on there

Thanks a bunch for the detailed response. Very helpful.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014