• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Like many of you, I've always been pretty good with financial goals, whether dealing with net worth, income, etc. But when it comes to other goals, such relationships or health, I am not as good with. I think financial goals are easier because there are always numbers to keep track of progress and that makes it more straightforward. Whereas, for things like having good friendships or good mental health, it is more difficult for me because I cannot quantify it as easily and harder to keep track of progress.

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I recommend professional help, no, really.

I would guess this is based on personality. Many people on this forum may have their financial lives in order; but they may not be able to walk up ten floors of steps. At the same time, there are people who exercise daily but wouldn't be able to save a dime after winning the lottery. Those people are writing on fitness boards right now about how difficult it is to save for retirement.

byex0039 said:   I would guess this is based on personality. Many people on this forum may have their financial lives in order; but they may not be able to walk up ten floors of steps. At the same time, there are people who exercise daily but wouldn't be able to save a dime after winning the lottery. Those people are writing on fitness boards right now about how difficult it is to save for retirement.

Completely agree with this.

I guess the question is, do you have personal goals... Do you work and spend time trying to achieve those goals. I get what you are saying. Financial goals are but one aspect of well being. With only so much time in the day, how do you foster those other important social aspects, esp, when others are likewise stretched in so many directions. A good read is Sex, Love and Lasting relationships.

Of course your outwardly success is what would presumably garner you other fulfillment, even if it truly is a fallacy.

Those who have children, who spend an inordinate amount of time in the electronic world, may find them with similar difficulties.

I don't really understand your question. how hard a goal is determined by how hard you set it.

I've heard of people making spreadsheets where they give themselves "points" for certain activities and the goal of each day/week is to maximize those points.

I personally just realize that if I'm not happy, having all the money in the world won't matter, so I need to make sure I have a balance where I'm financially sound for the present and future as well.

Of course... all you have to do to reach financial goals is work long enough and not buy stupid shit.

To reach fitness goals/personal growth goals there is sweat equity that many on this forum cant handle.

Personally, I find both financial and fitness goals to be much easier to meet than things like relationships, because I feel like I'm much more in control of the former. Finances and weight control come down to simple math - if I want more money, I need to work more and/or spend less. If I want to lose weight, I need to eat less and/or exercise more. I have yet to find such a simple formula for, say, getting women to like me...

It really depends upon the person. We've got different expertise. It's really hard for me to lose weight than do anything else. If I want to have a better relationship with my friends, I could just easily do it. A good relationship could be measured on how you will treat your friend. It's like an algebraic expression, where there are so many variables. You have to make it equal to have the right result.

I'm able to walk up 10 flights of stairs, and I think most FW folks would if they looked into the cost of a house elevator, those things are outrageously priced !!
I also park far from the store door, less dings on my car because nobody parks nearby so I save on paint jobs, and less chance I'll need the elevator.

Depend on the type of goals you are comparing.... A football goal or a soccer goal vs. financial goals is a tough one to answer.

wonder what mikef thinks

Still can't get two chicks at once......yet.

WOAH!!! Woah.. woah... Backup.

... There are "OTHER" goals?

it's not about which goal is easier to achieve, it's about which goal is easier to achieve and you can still live a great life. Saving every penny you have is very easy, just don't spend. But you would live a horrible life that way.

fusionz said:   Like many of you, I've always been pretty good with financial goals, whether dealing with net worth, income, etc. But when it comes to other goals, such relationships or health, I am not as good with. I think financial goals are easier because there are always numbers to keep track of progress and that makes it more straightforward. Whereas, for things like having good friendships or good mental health, it is more difficult for me because I cannot quantify it as easily and harder to keep track of progress.

It depends. I know quite a few people who are completely broke, yet have lots of friends, full social life, etc.

Relationships are just like anything else in life. If you want it bad enough you will do what is required to achieve it. You may not be able to make a relationship spreadsheet, but you can do a personal audit to evaluate what your social weaknesses and strengths are and then work to change them or learn to use them to your advantage.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014