• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Another tip post... this time focusing on TAKEOUT and DELIVERY...

Do you guys tip for takeout (ordered from a traditional sit-down restaurant)? I usually don't, since I am not served.

Do you guys tip for delivery? I usually tip about a buck or two (which translates to about 10%), and this is on top of the "delivery fee" the restaurant usually imposes, which I'm guessing does not go to the driver. So the combined tips + delivery fees works out to be about the same as in a sit-down restaurant.

Finally, do you guys tip differently if it is a full-service restaurant vs a buffet dinner (i.e. self-service)?

Member Summary

phillipes
Thanks germanpope
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
My rule of thumb -

1. Delivery/Sit Down - Tip
2. Take-Out - No tip, unless I'm feeling generous/the employee has done an o... (more)

LifeAsISeeIt (May. 07, 2012 @ 9:39p) |

In the Phoenix area, yes. I once parked 12 feet from the entrance of a restaurant that had valet parking.

larrymoencurly (May. 07, 2012 @ 10:15p) |

I don't tip at restaurants that haved forced valet... where I watch them drive my car into the parking lot right next to... (more)

robstahl21 (May. 10, 2012 @ 8:46a) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

normally if I am at place like philippes I would tip

at a place like this you get your food at the counter and carry it to the table

it is customary to leave a tip on the cash tray when the counter person provides you with your meal at the counter

I do tip but it depends upon the service that I've got. If I don't like the service I never give tips at all. If they want a tip, they have to earn it.

I'm thinking that none of you have ever been a waitress! LOL! Long hours for little pay and then people don't tip? Did you know that the average wage for waitresses is about $3 per hour? Tips are calculated in to make sure that they make minimum wage, so yes I tip and I tip well. I think that most people that have worked in the food industry do because they understand what it is like to try and live on minimum wage. That extra cash in pocket really helps.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Food-Preparation-and-Serving/Food-and-bev...

Please generously tip your pizza guy/gal. The pay is minimal, they pay for their own gas, and they are frequently robbed. Hubby was a pizza man for years and the tips were vital. The generally accepted tip for waitstaff is 15%...and they just carry your food from the kitchen to your table.

Brilliant!
Disclaimer
AndroAsc said: Another tip post...

what did the leper say to the hooker

OliverQuackenbush said:   what did the leper say to the hooker

"How about just the tip?"

Chargum85 said:   OliverQuackenbush said:   what did the leper say to the hooker

"How about just the tip?"

First off I tip,

But, Here in California the minimum wage is $8 hour and the waitresses make $8 hour, Not less.
But over at mcdonalds they pay $8 hour but can not take tips, Courtesy clerks ( Baggers ) at the Grocery store can not take tips
But most make only minimum wage.

So if you live in a state where waitresses make $8 ( minimum wage ) per hour why do they get tips and the rest of the minimum wage workers dont ?

http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm

If its takeout food, and I'm picking it up, I don't tip.
Rest I will tip, a lousy tip or none for bad service, a good tip for good service.
I do pickup my pizza, as I've seen too many movies, and besides, I want it hot not last house on the list.

BlueSeaLake said:   If its takeout food, and I'm picking it up, I don't tip.
Rest I will tip, a lousy tip or none for bad service, a good tip for good service.
I do pickup my pizza, as I've seen too many movies, and besides, I want it hot not last house on the list.

try tipping well when you get pizza delivered and it will be hot

snip

vreichling said:   Just a little more information: http://www.minimum-wage.org/california-tipped-employee-minimum-w...

Thanks for the info

So for California Only
Why tip a waitresses if your not also tipping all minimum-wage workers ? ( Mc Donalds, Wal-Mart Workers etc. )
Thats kind of Discrimination one minimum-wage workers gets a tip and the other worker get no tip.

Just to point out I also tip my Paperboy $20 To $30 A Year But I dont think he gets a lot of tips he pays for his gas, Bags etc. , Why ? ( He works in the rain, cold and in the heat )

One other thing I hate tip jars....

MyCharmedLife said:   Please generously tip your pizza guy/gal. The pay is minimal, they pay for their own gas, and they are frequently robbed. Hubby was a pizza man for years and the tips were vital. The generally accepted tip for waitstaff is 15%...and they just carry your food from the kitchen to your table. Total anecdotal tangent but the one person I know who was a pizza delivery person was held at gun point and driven out to the middle of nowhere and left when he was delivering pizzas.

I'd be interested in finding out if anyone tipped when ordering to actually insure prompt service.

1) No
2) Yes

I only tip cows. Does that make me a bad person? Should I start a new thread on cow tipping??

take out = no

delivery = a few bucks, depends how far the restaurant is located.

I don't pay for delivery, because usually its a ripoff and will go and pick it up even if time value of money says I should have it delivered.

Its the principle of the thing... I dont want to pay your delivery fees and tip a driver that you don't pay enough.

That goes for most things that tipping is customary. I hate most of them so will just avoid those things... no room service @ hotels, no valet parking, minimal eating out, etc etc etc...

2x post

vreichling said:   I'm thinking that none of you have ever been a waitress! LOL! Long hours for little pay and then people don't tip? Did you know that the average wage for waitresses is about $3 per hour? Tips are calculated in to make sure that they make minimum wage, so yes I tip and I tip well. I think that most people that have worked in the food industry do because they understand what it is like to try and live on minimum wage. That extra cash in pocket really helps.

I always here that from the people who have worked in the food industry before and been very good at it. However, none of them realize the fact that there are too many lazy ass people working in the food industry who think tip is their RIGHT and they can provide lousy/no service at all but still get 15-20% tip.

vreichling said:   I'm thinking that none of you have ever been a waitress! LOL! Long hours for little pay and then people don't tip? Did you know that the average wage for waitresses is about $3 per hour? Tips are calculated in to make sure that they make minimum wage, so yes I tip and I tip well. I think that most people that have worked in the food industry do because they understand what it is like to try and live on minimum wage. That extra cash in pocket really helps.

I'm calling BS on this one. I'm tired of the "They only make 3 bucks an hour" line. First off, that's complete crap in the majority of places in America. In many states they make full minimum wage PLUS tips, few of which they actually report and pay taxes on. Even in places where it's not the law, there are few waiter making $3 an hour base pay. Second, who ever said that being a waitress was to be a profitable career? They ARE NOT professionals, why do they expect professional wages? It's an entry level job that essentially takes zero education, training, or special skills. Why do we treat this differently for some reason? How is this any different from working as a landscaper or other manual labor, or a supermarket bagger? I'm not saying they should be treated like crap or paid 50 cents an hour, but come on, they are WAITERS. That's the incentive in this country to get some training and education and move on a REAL career that pays PROFESSIONAL wages. If the staff is unhappy with how much they make, there are millions of other opportunities available.

For the record, I tip extremely well if they give good service, partly because I want to encourage the good servers to keep at it. But my experience is that many servers, if not most, provide mediocre service at best and then expect the "standard" tip anyway. In those cases, they get very little. I don't know if it really makes the point or not, but hopefully so. Hopefully it irritates them enough they decide to get a new profession and make room for other good waiters.

What about tipping the hotel room service delivery guy where they've already tacked on ~18% gratuity plus ~$3 room service charge, then hand you over a slip with a place for additional TIP??

drodge said:   In many states they make full minimum wage PLUS tips, few of which they actually report and pay taxes on. Even in places where it's not the law, there are few waiter making $3 an hour base pay.

In many states, wait staff are guaranteed minimum wage. They can be paid less than minimum if their tips make up for it, but if they don't get enough tips, the business is required to pay them enough that wages + tips >= minimum wage.

Here is a list of all states' minimum wages for tipped workers:
http://www.paywizard.org/main/minimum-wage/tipped-workers

LordKronos and others,
I suppose businesses can calculate/allocate the tips received when the tip put on a credit card or at the counter. What about tips left on the table?
Are restaurant/take-out staff cheated by establishments that pay them below minimum wage and insist that the difference must have been covered by tips left on the tables?

I acknowledge there are a several "top off" states that bump up the rates. There are also tons of places, including a lot of local municipalities, where they mandate an even higher wage for everyone, including tipped employees. I've known a lot of waiters in my life, and the vast majority are making well over minimum wage. If someone isn't, they are very foolish. There are tons of places where every single server is doing well and there is nothing keeping someone working at a low-paying place. If they are decent at all as a server they can get hired on at a more profitable place.

There seems to be an endless supply of people though with absolutely no initiative, who suck at their job, who don't want to get better, who won't leave to find somewhere better, and would rather sit around and blame me for not tipping their sorry butt more. It's an entitlement issue. Tipping has gone from something that is freely given, as a token of sincere appreciation that is earned, to something the waiter is automatically "owed". I don't "owe" them anything. They owe me good service in exchange for the money I pay for the meal. If they do a good job, I give them something. If they do a great job, I tip very well. I'm just tired of getting crappy service and expecting to be rewarded. For the record, I'm extremely undemanding to the staff, so if I'm noticing bad service, there is something VERY wrong. Maybe it's just me, but I'm noticing a lot more bad service lately. Somehow, I doubt it's just me.

jd2010 said:   I don't pay for delivery, because usually its a ripoff and will go and pick it up even if time value of money says I should have it delivered.

Its the principle of the thing... I dont want to pay your delivery fees and tip a driver that you don't pay enough.

That goes for most things that tipping is customary. I hate most of them so will just avoid those things... no room service @ hotels, no valet parking, minimal eating out, etc etc etc...

To clarify, I tip if I get something delivered/eat out/etc... Im just saying that I don't like the whole idea of tipping being expected, so I don't have things delivered or do things that require tipping.

BNizzle said:   I'd be interested in finding out if anyone tipped when ordering To actually Insure Prompt Service.
That acronym only works when you use a word with the wrong meaning.

You insure a car from loss to ensure financial peace of mind.

germanpope said:   normally if I am at place like philippes I would tipOk, now you've gone and made me hungry.

I tip 10% at places that are not quick-service, I tip either $1 or $2 for a hotel buffet breakfast which is the only buffet that I really do.

The one that gets me are Sonic locations without a drive-through window. Not sure why I should tip when they've decided to make it harder on their employees, but I usually do end up rounding up to the next dollar.

I usually don't tip for takeout, and tip jars on counters at my localy subway tick me off, lol I am not sure why.

But today we went to a custard shop we have been waiting to try - the service was beyond amazing - the young man at the counter was very accomodating to the teenage girls (my dd and two friends). He was very polite and it was very crowded: they make custard in shop and he took the time to explain the process to the girls and also allowed many samples. I left a generous tip as I felt his service went above and beyond.

madcowdisease said:   1) No
2) Yes

Same. I tip delivery drivers more if their establishment doesn't charge a fee for delivery. I don't care if the fee goes to their pocket or not...they can take that up with their employer.

curvesahead said:   the young man at the counter was very accomodating to the teenage girls (my dd and two friends).

Soooo you didn't mind that he was interested in banging your daughter and/or her friends?

No that was not the case, he was very nice to everyone that came in the shop, and not everyone thinks that way!

Takeout: No. All they are doing is bringing the bag to a counter. I particularly find it ridiculous at places like coffee shops. You are being paid (and not like a waiter) to make coffee. Pouring my coffee and handing it to me isn't tip worthy. The example given by curvesahead might warrant a tip from me as well, since he did go "above and beyond". Typically, I get the bare minimum of service though. IMO, it is the employer's problem to pay their counter staff in these places. I worked for $5.50/hr at McDonalds in high school, no tip for me when I made a Big Mac, nor did I expect one.

Delivery: Yes, depending on the level of service.

Hate the whole concept of tipping as an expectation. It's a bonus for good service, not a fixed cost. I generally don't tip at restaurants that I have to pick up my own food including fast food, buffets, and coffee shops. I give a buck or two to the delivery driver who comes to my apartment, nothing if he calls from the lobby. Nothing for takeout, dry cleaning, or car washes. I give a couple of bucks to the girl who cuts my hair. Lately I have been giving more because the one I go to treats me well.

quaters said:   BNizzle said:   I'd be interested in finding out if anyone tipped when ordering To actually Insure Prompt Service.
That acronym only works when you use a word with the wrong meaning.

You insure a car from loss to ensure financial peace of mind.

Quite right. The etymology of the word is already clearly known. www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/tip.asp

I don't tip if I pick up my stuff, but if it gets delivered, I usually give about 15%. At a restaurant, if I get good service, I tip about 20%, and sometimes more if I'm in a good mood. I used to tip my masseuse almost 50%. And no, I didn't get any 'special' massages for those wondering.

Some good friends of mine, in TN, working as waiters only made $2.75 an hour + tips. And all the tips went in a jar and had to be shared at the end of the night with the cooks, dish washers, etc. So during slow times they didn't even make minimum wage per hour... pretty tough...

I tip 20% at eat-in restaurants. I always put it on the credit card with my bill. I want an official record of the tips the staff receives. I pay my fair share of income taxes and they should too. I do not tip on the sales tax on the bill.

Always for delivery, never for pick-up..........

Skipping 28 Messages...
I don't tip at restaurants that haved forced valet... where I watch them drive my car into the parking lot right next to the building. I do tip for real valet parking... as I was a valet when I was in my early college years -REAL valet parking - where we parked cars then sprinted back from about 100yards away. We earned our tips!.. and we had incentive to work hard and get the customers cars quickly.
*I don't get the subway tip jar. When I was in Highschool... I worked at the local ice rink. I didn't get tips for helping people on the ice, keeping things safe, and handing out skates! Why should I tip you for making my sub 'by the book' - I've never once had them throw some extra meat on there, so why should I pay extra!?
*I also don't get the 'tip no matter what' mentality. If my waitress was rude, unpleasant, and barely paid any attention to us... I have no problem stiffing them and will tell them personally that I thought the service was terrible. I'm not a stiff-and-run type.
If the server was great, and truly 'ADDED' to our dining experience... I will be sure to tell their manager how much of a delight they were, and tip very generously!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014