• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
any idea? I don't wanna spend more money with Geico.

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Self Insure? Geico is like $10 a year, you will be hard pressed to beat that unless you drive a newer car and self insure. Most credit cards offer renegotiated rates for tows of ~$60 with a pair of jumper cables, can of fix a flat in the trunk and a hide a key under the car you should avoid many of the reasons roadside will be needed

motsuka said:   Self Insure? Geico is like $10 a year, you will be hard pressed to beat that unless you drive a newer car and self insure. Most credit cards offer renegotiated rates for tows of ~$60 with a pair of jumper cables, can of fix a flat in the trunk and a hide a key under the car you should avoid many of the reasons roadside will be needed

And always fill your tank when its between 1/2 - 1/4 tank, rather than letting it go below a 1/4 tank before you look for a gas station, or decide to go for a drive on a Sunday night.
And keep an empty 1 gal gas can in the trunk, so if you do run out, you only need a lift to a gas station, and a walk back.

motsuka said:   Self Insure? Geico is like $10 a year, you will be hard pressed to beat that unless you drive a newer car and self insure. Most credit cards offer renegotiated rates for tows of ~$60 with a pair of jumper cables, can of fix a flat in the trunk and a hide a key under the car you should avoid many of the reasons roadside will be needed
I use the Geico option myself, because it's inexpensive and includes key replacement. I lost my keys about a week after getting the policy, and they came out and unlocked my car ($32) and then paid for all of the new keys that i lost on the keychain.

Just lift up your pants and shirt to show some leg and skin to the oncoming traffic

You'll cause an accident and then you'll be back here asking if you're liable.

Before determining the cheapest way to obtain it, you must first decide what is the best roadside assistance.

Depends on your car and your needs

I regularly need long distance tows to accomplish the restoration of classic cars, so aaa premier and Autovantage gold are what I get

They aren't cheap but if you use just one 100 mile tow they have more than paid out

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Depends on your car and your needs

I regularly need long distance tows to accomplish the restoration of classic cars, so aaa premier and Autovantage gold are what I get

They aren't cheap but if you use just one 100 mile tow they have more than paid out
Is it for a hobby or a business?

You can try Elephant Insurance. I am not sure if they are cheapest or not but they are affordable. You can ask for free quotes online.

Hobby

I read the title of this thread and came to suggest Geico. You can imagine my surprise when I saw you immediately say you don't want to spend more with Geico. It was $2/month for me for two cars.

BlueSeaLake said:   motsuka said:   Self Insure? Geico is like $10 a year, you will be hard pressed to beat that unless you drive a newer car and self insure. Most credit cards offer renegotiated rates for tows of ~$60 with a pair of jumper cables, can of fix a flat in the trunk and a hide a key under the car you should avoid many of the reasons roadside will be needed

And always fill your tank when its between 1/2 - 1/4 tank, rather than letting it go below a 1/4 tank before you look for a gas station, or decide to go for a drive on a Sunday night.
And keep an empty 1 gal gas can in the trunk, so if you do run out, you only need a lift to a gas station, and a walk back.

I like the empty 1 gal gas can idea. Seems like it could save some money.

How much more difficult would it be to have the ability to siphon gas into the 1 gal gas can? Obviously, with approval of the owner of the other vehicle first (!), but I imagine that "buying" a gallon for $5 or $10 may be easier/better than getting a lift and leaving the car behind.

-mike

ankitgu said:   motsuka said:   Self Insure? Geico is like $10 a year, you will be hard pressed to beat that unless you drive a newer car and self insure. Most credit cards offer renegotiated rates for tows of ~$60 with a pair of jumper cables, can of fix a flat in the trunk and a hide a key under the car you should avoid many of the reasons roadside will be needed
I use the Geico option myself, because it's inexpensive and includes key replacement. I lost my keys about a week after getting the policy, and they came out and unlocked my car ($32) and then paid for all of the new keys that i lost on the keychain.
From Geico's roadside assistance page: "Coverage is limited to $100 total for cost of labor and supplies for the following services: key breaks in the ignition, broken key in the door or trunk, lost keys, or keys locked in the car."

A $100 cap on key replacement is a bit of a joke. If you've got a car with a "smartkey," new keys will run you $300-$500 each, especially if it's a luxury car.

mikeg1 said:   

How much more difficult would it be to have the ability to siphon gas into the 1 gal gas can? Obviously, with approval of the owner of the other vehicle first (!), but I imagine that "buying" a gallon for $5 or $10 may be easier/better than getting a lift and leaving the car behind.

With modern cars, it can be quite difficult due to all the pollution controls in the gas tank fill system. Crooks don't even bother siphoning now, they just put a pail under the tank and punch a hole.

Cheaper option is Don't run out of gas!! Watch your guage and make a fuel purchase well before the needle starts flirting with the letter E.

geo123 said:   ankitgu said:   motsuka said:   Self Insure? Geico is like $10 a year, you will be hard pressed to beat that unless you drive a newer car and self insure. Most credit cards offer renegotiated rates for tows of ~$60 with a pair of jumper cables, can of fix a flat in the trunk and a hide a key under the car you should avoid many of the reasons roadside will be needed
From Geico's roadside assistance page: "Coverage is limited to $100 total for cost of labor and supplies for the following services: key breaks in the ignition, broken key in the door or trunk, lost keys, or keys locked in the car."

A $100 cap on key replacement is a bit of a joke. If you've got a car with a "smartkey," new keys will run you $300-$500 each, especially if it's a luxury car.

My civic key has to be programmed - not as fancy as what you're describing, but I got it done within the price range that they allowed.

ankitgu said:   My civic key has to be programmed - not as fancy as what you're describing, but I got it done within the price range that they allowed.That's good. When we needed another key for my wife's Mercedes, it ran about $325. If she had the keyless ignition option on her car, it would've cost about $400-$425.

motsuka said:   Geico is like $10 a year, you will be hard pressed to beat that...I don't know specifically about Geico, but the reason that most people stay away from the roadside assistance options offered by their auto insurers is because they report their use as a claim, which goes on your CLUE report. This can prevent you from qualifying for the best insurance rates when you try to switch carriers.

Although some carriers will disregard small claims, others will count them all. Hence, the reason that if you even need this in the first place, it can make a lot more sense to pay a little bit extra for coverage through a third party roadside assistance company, such as AAA, then have to deal with a CLUE claim.

I called Geico they said they do not offer roadside assistance to liability only policies

You need to have at least comprehensive coverage to get roadside assistance

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014