over the limit coverage with no fee?

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I really want to buy something with a Cash Back credit card. The cards limit is 1000 but the item is 1500. If i over paid the credit card by 500 and signed up for over the limit coverage does anybody think I will get a fee? Wouldn't the card technocally get paid off instantly while the transaction was still pending because of the positive 500 credit?

Member Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

kevinthecoin said:   I really want to buy something with a Cash Back credit card. The cards limit is 1000 but the item is 1500. If i over paid the credit card by 500 and signed up for over the limit coverage does anybody think I will get a fee? Wouldn't the card technocally get paid off instantly while the transaction was still pending because of the positive 500 credit?

Looks like you are 1/3 of the way there. Why not save up the rest before buying it? Or you can just pay $500 in cash to the store and ask them to charge $1000. You can break it up to different credit cards too. But the FW way would be saving up until you can afford it.

Are you sure your card will allow you to pay more than the outstanding balance? Have you called to ask for a credit line increase?

No CC will allow you a transaction over your CL even if you have negative balance. Any transaction over $1k simply won't go through

IF THAT WAS THE CASE WHY HAVE OVER THE LIMIT COVERAGE, IF NOTHING WILL GO THROUGH IF YOU GO OVER TE LIMIT?

It depends on the bank. FIA let me do this but I had to call them right before the card was run to authorize it. You have several options:

1. Ask for a credit limit increase
2. Ask if you can overpay and then make the purchase
3. Overpay and ask the merchant to run two transactions
4. Pay part in cash, part in credit

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014