Wrecked Car - Getting the most of it

Archived From: Finance
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I have a 96 Accord that's leaking radiator fluid (and since stopped because there isn't any more to leak) after an accident. The car is still drivable, may be not for hot days or long distances. The hood is crushed a bit. Repair would cost more than the Blue Book value. Comp/Coll was dropped, so no help from the insurance.

The question is what's the best way to get most for the car. Google sent me to www.amamotorsgroup.com. I will request a quote with them. Do any of the FW members have experience with this company? Are there other ways? Other companies?

Member Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Craigslist.

Few options to consider :

1. try selling it on Craigslist 'as is'. Someone might want it to part out or fix it up.
2. donate it to a charity. You'll get a tax write off. If you're in a high tax bracket this could work out.
3. call up the local junk yards and ask them how much they'll give you for it. They often buy cars to part out.
4. scrap yards may give you $200+ for the metal content
5. Theres often local guys who will pay cash for any car. They'll come to your house hadn you $100 or so and haul it off.

I'd assume that driving it to a local salvager would be better money than some random website

Veeekay said:   I have a 96 Accord that's leaking radiator fluid (and since stopped because there isn't any more to leak) after an accident. The car is still drivable, may be not for hot days or long distances. The hood is crushed a bit. Repair would cost more than the Blue Book value. Liability was dropped, so no help from the insurance.

The question is what's the best way to get most for the car. Google sent me to www.amamotorsgroup.com. I will request a quote with them. Do any of the FW members have experience with this company? Are there other ways? Other companies?

Craigslist it. Someone will buy it off of you to fix or part out. Those are very popular cars (I own one with almost 200k on it). If you have the time, patience and mechanical know-how, part it out yourself. You can make good money. Otherwise, pop open your local phone book and call some auto recyclers/junkers and get quotes. Older Hondas are worth way more parted out.

Lots of people are going to be looking for parts off an old Accord. You shouldn't have too much trouble getting a good amount of money outta the thing. It would be hard for me to part out a working car, but if getting the most money possible is your aim I'd guess parting out is the way to go

Oh, and btw Craigslist

Sell it before you destroy the engine by driving without coolant.

You could also try eBay or Craigslist

Autotrader or Cars.com are a couple options......Also could try Craigslist. It is pretty decent

CarMax? /shrugs/ but Craigslist for sure.

Hey, in case anyone hasn't suggested it yet....

...How about craigslist?

there are states that let you drive without liability coverage?

Veeekay said:   Liability was dropped, so no help from the insurancethe person who hit you has no insurance?

Craigslist or eBay it'll be sold within days

Try Stop Leak?

What do you mean by "wrecked"? If it's just got a broken radiator and a crinkled hood, then I'd consider fixing just the radiator and using the car as a daily driver.

Homeless can use as a shelter if parked in shaded place

If you are in Texas you can get a 3000.00 voucher for a 2009 or new car. Its from the Texas Air Check voucher system.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014