• Go to page :
  • 12 3
  • Text Only
recklessmax said:   My question is to the experienced FWers who usually purchase the 500$ Visa or MC's with credit card, my question is around drivers license requirement For most stores where these are sold, they want to check your drivers license because of the amount being purchased especially if you have 2-3 in hand
as the register usually beeps and requires some over-ride

However there have been a couple of ocassions where i have been forced to give them the DL information to note it down on the receipt.This is where im really uncomfortable although i'm not trying to scam. I know it is illegal to make a copy/xerox of someones ID information but these stores says its okay for them to record information from DL on the register receipt. I don't want to argue too much to highlight the situation so i have given in a couple of times when this has happened

Anybody knows if there is any law governing noting down DLs information on receipts since who knows they can even make a copy of store receipt later and misuse it for identity theft. If there are scam artits on this side then im sure there is possibility of few bad apples on other side too

Please provide you inputs on how to deal with this or the store can force you to record this information if they like for making the purchase

My favorite is when the cashier writes down the DL# on MY receipt, then hands it to me.

SpeedingLunatic said:   My favorite is when the cashier writes down the DL# on MY receipt, then hands it to me.
And people think we should raise the minimum wage -- HA!! :-D

Do you still have the packaging the gift card came in with the barcode? I'm not familiar with what the barcodes look like, or which type of encoding the barcodes uses, but I'm sure someone here would be able to translate it to the correct number, assuming the barcode translates to the correct credit card number that was supposedly in the packaging.

halterk said:   Do you still have the packaging the gift card came in with the barcode? I'm not familiar with what the barcodes look like, or which type of encoding the barcodes uses, but I'm sure someone here would be able to translate it to the correct number, assuming the barcode translates to the correct credit card number that was supposedly in the packaging.

I would be surprised if it does; that would be a rather dumb way of doing it.

recklessmax said:   My question is to the experienced FWers who usually purchase the 500$ Visa or MC's with credit card, my question is around drivers license requirement For most stores where these are sold, they want to check your drivers license because of the amount being purchased especially if you have 2-3 in hand

However there have been a couple of ocassions where i have been forced to give them the DL information to note it down on the receipt.This is where im really uncomfortable although i'm not trying to scam. I know it is illegal to make a copy/xerox of someones ID information but these stores says its okay for them to record information from DL on the register receipt. I don't want to argue too much to highlight the situation so i have given in a couple of times when this has happened

Anybody knows if there is any law governing noting down DLs information on receipts since who knows they can even make a copy of store receipt later and misuse it for identity theft. If there are scam artits on this side then im sure there is possibility of few bad apples on other side too

Please provide you inputs on how to deal with this or the store can force you to record this information if they like for making the purchase

Kroger/Smith's is recording my DL for purchases over >$75 it seems. They usually enter in into the POS - I have not seen it physically written on the receipts. The most I have done in a single transaction is $300, I haven't gone up to $500. (No, I am not a FWF cleanup hitter).

I'd bring a copy of the AMEX statement with the matching account number to what's on your card. Tell them you have no problem providing proof of your identity and proof that the credit card account really belongs to you, but it's illegal for them to keep a record of your government ID number for a simple credit card transaction. YMMV

Sounds like the "activation" just adds money to the card whether it had previously been used or not.

But how do they "activate" if the mag strip is damaged? Don't the cards have to be swiped to activate?

kranky said:   But how do they "activate" if the mag strip is damaged? Don't the cards have to be swiped to activate?No, the gift card stays sealed in the package. When the customer brings the card to the checkout, the cashier scans the UPC and a serial number on the outside of the package. The serial number gets instantly communicated to the gift card issuer computers, which activates the gift card and adds money, without the card being removed from the package.

The thief stole the actual gift card from the package and replaced it with a different used up damaged card from a previous theft, so the customer will wind up activating the card already in the hands of the thief.

DTASFAB said:   recklessmax said:   My question is to the experienced FWers who usually purchase the 500$ Visa or MC's with credit card, my question is around drivers license requirement For most stores where these are sold, they want to check your drivers license because of the amount being purchased especially if you have 2-3 in hand

I'd bring a copy of the AMEX statement with the matching account number to what's on your card. Tell them you have no problem providing proof of your identity and proof that the credit card account really belongs to you, but it's illegal for them to keep a record of your government ID number for a simple credit card transaction. YMMV

What law makes keeping a record illegal?? Now credit company policies are another story...

I went to Lowes over the weekend and saw that all their prepaid cards has a window in the packaging that exposes an actual barcode on the card. Seems like a good idea but the scammers can always just print stickers of the barcodes of the cards that they've stolen and affix it to other cards on the shelf thereby activating the cards in their possession. I think we need to stop discussing about this. It's probably giving scammers new ideas.

TrueKnight said:   I went to Lowes over the weekend and saw that all their prepaid cards has a window in the packaging that exposes an actual barcode on the card. Seems like a good idea but the scammers can always just print stickers of the barcodes of the cards that they've stolen and affix it to other cards on the shelf thereby activating the cards in their possession. I think we need to stop discussing about this. It's probably giving scammers new ideas.

Already printing mine off...making $ the FW way.

/Sarcasm

TrueKnight said:   I went to Lowes over the weekend and saw that all their prepaid cards has a window in the packaging that exposes an actual barcode on the card. Seems like a good idea but the scammers can always just print stickers of the barcodes of the cards that they've stolen and affix it to other cards on the shelf thereby activating the cards in their possession. I think we need to stop discussing about this. It's probably giving scammers new ideas.

There are plenty of other sites where scammers get their ideas, and this one is hardly new or unknown.

TrueKnight said:   I went to Lowes over the weekend and saw that all their prepaid cards has a window in the packaging that exposes an actual barcode on the card. Seems like a good idea but the scammers can always just print stickers of the barcodes of the cards that they've stolen and affix it to other cards on the shelf thereby activating the cards in their possession. I think we need to stop discussing about this. It's probably giving scammers new ideas.Why do you care? Maybe the GC makers will eventually learn a good lesson from this.

delete

NEDeals said:   DTASFAB said:   recklessmax said:   My question is to the experienced FWers who usually purchase the 500$ Visa or MC's with credit card, my question is around drivers license requirement For most stores where these are sold, they want to check your drivers license because of the amount being purchased especially if you have 2-3 in hand

What law makes keeping a record illegal?? Now credit company policies are another story...

sorry i am not completely clear on the law around this , this is what i have heard from multiple retail stores where i have purchased gift cards that by law they cannot make a photo copy of your id for doing credit card purchases. They can however note down the id information on receipt for book keeping if the purchase is a relatively high amount

recklessmax said:   NEDeals said:   DTASFAB said:   recklessmax said:   My question is to the experienced FWers who usually purchase the 500$ Visa or MC's with credit card, my question is around drivers license requirement For most stores where these are sold, they want to check your drivers license because of the amount being purchased especially if you have 2-3 in hand

sorry i am not completely clear on the law around this , this is what i have heard from multiple retail stores where i have purchased gift cards that by law they cannot make a photo copy of your id for doing credit card purchases. They can however note down the id information on receipt for book keeping if the purchase is a relatively high amount

Most retail store personnel don't know the difference between a law, merchant account terms, company policy, and someone's misguided interpretation of any of the above.

recklessmax said:   NEDeals said:   DTASFAB said:   recklessmax said:   My question is to the experienced FWers who usually purchase the 500$ Visa or MC's with credit card, my question is around drivers license requirement For most stores where these are sold, they want to check your drivers license because of the amount being purchased especially if you have 2-3 in hand

I'm not aware of any laws making it illegal to photograph a driver's license, but there are a lot of states and some of them could have such a law I suppose. It *is* against federal law to photograph a military ID (or any government *employee* ID), however. [18 USC 701] So a military member's CAC can't be photographed, but a contractor's CAC can. Makes sense.

Vanilla10 said:   TrueKnight said:   I went to Lowes over the weekend and saw that all their prepaid cards has a window in the packaging that exposes an actual barcode on the card. Seems like a good idea but the scammers can always just print stickers of the barcodes of the cards that they've stolen and affix it to other cards on the shelf thereby activating the cards in their possession. I think we need to stop discussing about this. It's probably giving scammers new ideas.

There are plenty of other sites where scammers get their ideas, and this one is hardly new or unknown.

I liked carderplanet and shadowcrew , what is your favorite ?

john8486 said: I started using this new site called prepaid2cash
2030 Vallejo Street Suite 301
San Francisco, California 94123

=> an apartment building in San Francisco

Latest Update: American Express refuses to do anything about it. Says to deal with WalMart. Guess we're going up WalMart's corporate chain. Oh and wifey says that while she used a debit card with a Visa logo on it for purchasing the gift card, they would not ring it up as a credit card transaction and thus requiring her to pin in. So we've lost all Visa purchase protections as well. Will continue to provide updates as we fight this.

Contact your local news stations. They will love the story.

hashir said:   Contact your local news stations. They will love the story.I doubt it. This isn't exactly new.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Vanilla10 said:   TrueKnight said:   I went to Lowes over the weekend and saw that all their prepaid cards has a window in the packaging that exposes an actual barcode on the card. Seems like a good idea but the scammers can always just print stickers of the barcodes of the cards that they've stolen and affix it to other cards on the shelf thereby activating the cards in their possession. I think we need to stop discussing about this. It's probably giving scammers new ideas.

I liked carderplanet and shadowcrew , what is your favorite ?

Favorite? I find Zoklet amusing.

teammjs said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Yes this is becoming a common scam

Usually Armenian scammers in LA

LOL. SIS, is there an angle, scam, or racket you aren't familiar with ?

You're like a combination Rainman, Saul Goodman, Tom Vu, and the Dos Equis guy all rolled into one.

He knows it's a scam before the scammers know it's a scam. He's the most interesting guy on Fatwallet Finance.

qcumber98 said:   hashir said:   Contact your local news stations. They will love the story.I doubt it. This isn't exactly new.If they haven't done a story about it recently, it's new to them.

A significant minority of states have laws that prohibit a merchant from variously-worded conduct (e.g., requesting, recording) certain information (e.g., personal information, an address) when payment is by credit card. Each state's statute is worded differently. If you're in a state where a merchant can't record an address, for instance, the merchant would not be allowed to copy a driver's license because the license would include an address. If you're in a state where the merchant can't record any personal information, the merchant may not be able to even record the drivers' license number (if that is in fact personal information under the statute). There may also be statutes that actually prohibit copying a driver's license, but I am not aware of any of these; but even so, this would be an issue of state law that would likely vary state-to-state.

SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Usually Armenian scammers in LA

Whuzup with the ethnic stereotyping?
Not cool.

tuphat said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Usually Armenian scammers in LA

Not cool.

C'mon, he did say "usually."

TrueKnight said:   
Okay, so now here's the kicker:

This card was purchased a week ago at WalMart. Accessing the transaction history on the card, it shows no activity for the months of May, April, March, February BUT shows the following for January of this year:

Transaction Date - Post Date - Description - Reference Number - Amount
01/17/2012 - 01/19/2012 - TARGET STORES 222 0222 17751 COLIMA CITY OF INDUSTRY 840 - Partial Purchase - P29CAI25355RYV00GD - $-100.00
01/13/2012 - 01/13/2012 - Wal-Mart US STORES - Value Load - 114575000YY0 - $100.00

This is a long shot but six years ago when I had some Target gift cards stolen. I happen to have a photocopy of the back of the card. Target corporate was able to locate the receipt of the purchases made by the thieves then I called the store's security where the purchases were made. Using the receipt information, they were able to tell me what was purchased (bolt cutters) and easily locate digital video of the culprits which they saved for the police. But of course the police detective was uninterested in returning my calls. Also, WalMart has a very sophisticated IT system in place so I'm sure with guidance they could help you as well.

Resolution: We went back to the WalMart store with the rejection letter from AMEX. WalMart tried to contact AMEX on behalf of the wife one last time, said that they could not guarantee anything but to give them a day or two. Two later day, the store manager called and said they were just going to refund the purchase plus give us a $35 gift card for our troubles. We haven't even started contacting corporate yet or resort to posting on Facebook so was pleasantly surprised that it could be solved at the store level. Definitely got lucky this time, will check all future gift card purchases at the store (and avoid the practice if necessary).

Good! I'm glad to hear that you have a resolution
In the future, I definitely recommend being careful when buying gift cards, and I recommend doing so when they are below par ie when not paying a fee to make them cost more than dollar value ie $50 mastercards at Food Lion for $44.95 this week.

so, where is the part where you "resolved" the pre-paid AMEX scam?

you just got your purchase refunded, it's not like the scam was busted up

skh12 said:   so, where is the part where you "resolved" the pre-paid AMEX scam?

Fixing AMEX's business model is most definitely not OP's problem (and I wouldn't expect him to go that far).

What he did do was write a well written post with supporting pics. We can all forward a link to everyone we know to let people know just how silly it is to tie your cash up in Gift Cards. If you are truly interested in fixing the problem, help the OP with adding tags and buzzwords to make this thread more searchable in Google.

I'm still confused on when it became uncool to give cash as a gift. I personally don't touch them until the reward exceeds 10%.

Green for OP for writing the post, and green again for posting the followup.

skh12 said:   so, where is the part where you "resolved" the pre-paid AMEX scam?

I agree. Shutting down the entire scam, hunting down the animals that did this and shooting them in the face with a shotgun Old Yeller style is on the OP now. /sarcasm

Vanilla10 said:   tuphat said:   SUCKISSTAPLES said:   Usually Armenian scammers in LA

Not cool.

C'mon, he did say "usually."

So sorry, mein herr.
I still dare him to walk into Carousel on Hollywood Blvd and say something like that.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.