• filter:
  • 14 5 67835
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Applied a little while back, and found a card in the mail the other day. Unfortunately, they apparently decided that I'm not worthy of the Cash+ card, so they just sent me the normal FlexPerks Rewards card. I have no intention of actually using that, so I'm not even gonna bother activating it. Any chance they'd be willing to reconsider the Cash+ if they know I'm turning down the other card?

That's with FICO scores in the 730 area. High inquiries, though. Figured that's what hurt me.

rated:
askepios said:   Applied a little while back, and found a card in the mail the other day. Unfortunately, they apparently decided that I'm not worthy of the Cash+ card, so they just sent me the normal FlexPerks Rewards card. I have no intention of actually using that, so I'm not even gonna bother activating it. Any chance they'd be willing to reconsider the Cash+ if they know I'm turning down the other card?

That's with FICO scores in the 730 area. High inquiries, though. Figured that's what hurt me.

I also got a FlexPerks Reward card, FICO 668. They said minimum credit line for Cash + reward is 5000; if someone qualifies for less than that then they approve for FlexPerks Card.
Got it activated, will try to get it converted into Cash+ after 1-2 months after activation.

rated:
One thing I discovered after using this card for the first time - US Bank does not show pending transactions for credit cards; at least they didn't on this one. I am really surprised at that as they do show pending transactions when using a check card on a bank account.

Ruth

rated:
I have bill pay and restaurants as my 5% categories and my first statement cut today. I had 4 transactions - a one time payment to dish network through dish's website, an automatic payment from verizon set up through verizon's website, and two local restaurant transactions. The only transaction that didn't get 5% was the dish payment. It also said "dish network one-time" in the description column.

rated:
I called USbank and according to the representative, they say the following SIC/MCC codes qualify as "billpay": 4812-Telecom Equipment sales, 4814 -calls through use of magnetic strip, 4899 Cable,Satellite, and other paid TV/Radio services, 4900- Utilities, Electric, Gas Sanitary and water, 6300- Insurance Sales, underwriting and Premiums....

rated:
goku2 said:   I called USbank and according to the representative, they say the following SIC/MCC codes qualify as "billpay": 4812-Telecom Equipment sales, 4814 -calls through use of magnetic strip, 4899 Cable,Satellite, and other paid TV/Radio services, 4900- Utilities, Electric, Gas Sanitary and water, 6300- Insurance Sales, underwriting and Premiums....

So, it doesn't matter if you have it set-up to automatically pay your bill as long as it falls into those categories? For example, if I pay my insurance on their website, but don't have it set to automatically bill me, it will count?

rated:
dataadmin said:   goku2 said:   I called USbank and according to the representative, they say the following SIC/MCC codes qualify as "billpay": 4812-Telecom Equipment sales, 4814 -calls through use of magnetic strip, 4899 Cable,Satellite, and other paid TV/Radio services, 4900- Utilities, Electric, Gas Sanitary and water, 6300- Insurance Sales, underwriting and Premiums....

So, it doesn't matter if you have it set-up to automatically pay your bill as long as it falls into those categories? For example, if I pay my insurance on their website, but don't have it set to automatically bill me, it will count?
I think the guy that didn't get his DTV payment to qualify for the 5% would be so kind as to call USbank and ask them what MCC code was used for that purchase so we can confirm that it was actually billed incorrectly - explaining why he didn't get the 5% for that bill.

rated:
goku2 said:   I called USbank and according to the representative, they say the following SIC/MCC codes qualify as "billpay": 4812-Telecom Equipment sales, 4814 -calls through use of magnetic strip, 4899 Cable,Satellite, and other paid TV/Radio services, 4900- Utilities, Electric, Gas Sanitary and water, 6300- Insurance Sales, underwriting and Premiums....

Interesting. There are so many more billpays for legit services that would seem to be covered by the description, but is not in this list of mccs.

rated:
FYI, if "Utilities" does indeed included PHONE SERVICES & EQUIPMENT (MCC 4814) that would include Apple Stores, according to a supplier search I just did on Visa's site.

rated:
provicemo said:   FYI, if "Utilities" does indeed included PHONE SERVICES & EQUIPMENT (MCC 4814) that would include Apple Stores, according to a supplier search I just did on Visa's site.

You do realize there is a 5% off electronics stores?

Although Apple Stores here are: COMPUTER STORES/SERVICES -5045 and not ELECTRONIC SALES/REPAIR -5732

rated:
corporateclaw said:   BingBlangBlaow said:   EdMcK515 said:   Most important thing is I can get 5% straight CashBack by buying Amazon gift cards at Lowes. Beats 5points/$1 with the forward.

Don't forget it's 6.25% when redeeming $100 at a time.

Just applied. Got the 7-10 day notice. Realized I probably have some kind of sock-drawered CC with them that I could have tried to convert, etc., hopefully that's not an issue and I'll get confirmed here in a week.

Also, I have a feeling that this card is going to get randomly shut down faster than chase, especially since the whole 25-dollar Visa card is going to probably draw a lot of attention to this (i.e., going in and redeeming 100 bucks at a time like 15 times). Either way, I'm glad that a 5% card is back!

That was on the 19th. Since last Friday (so the 22nd) there has been a new "credit card" account in my US Bank login page, it has a "last 4 of account number", says it is a CC (obv), says it has a 0.00 balance, and that the credit limit is "--"

Not sure if this is just some kind of placeholder or if that means I've been approved for something but I'd think that they'd do the approval and the CL at the same time. Not sure if this adds anything or helps anyone, but it might at least shed some light if others have the same thing going on.

rated:
corporateclaw said:   corporateclaw said:   BingBlangBlaow said:   EdMcK515 said:   Most important thing is I can get 5% straight CashBack by buying Amazon gift cards at Lowes. Beats 5points/$1 with the forward.

Just applied. Got the 7-10 day notice. Realized I probably have some kind of sock-drawered CC with them that I could have tried to convert, etc., hopefully that's not an issue and I'll get confirmed here in a week.

Also, I have a feeling that this card is going to get randomly shut down faster than chase, especially since the whole 25-dollar Visa card is going to probably draw a lot of attention to this (i.e., going in and redeeming 100 bucks at a time like 15 times). Either way, I'm glad that a 5% card is back!

That was on the 19th. Since last Friday (so the 22nd) there has been a new "credit card" account in my US Bank login page, it has a "last 4 of account number", says it is a CC (obv), says it has a 0.00 balance, and that the credit limit is "--"

Not sure if this is just some kind of placeholder or if that means I've been approved for something but I'd think that they'd do the approval and the CL at the same time. Not sure if this adds anything or helps anyone, but it might at least shed some light if others have the same thing going on.

why don't you call them 1-800-947-1444? after put your info, then been congratulated you are approved, then given the option to make a balance transfer, at that point you would connect to a live person and find out what kind card you really get, cash+(5K & up) or flexperks (<5K), credit line and APR etc

rated:
Cheapo said:   corporateclaw said:   corporateclaw said:   BingBlangBlaow said:   EdMcK515 said:   Most important thing is I can get 5% straight CashBack by buying Amazon gift cards at Lowes. Beats 5points/$1 with the forward.

why don't you call them 1-800-947-1444? after put your info, then been congratulated you are approved, then given the option to make a balance transfer, at that point you would connect to a live person and find out what kind card you really get, cash+(5K & up) or flexperks (<5K), credit line and APR etc

Well, that spoils the surprise! I was approved for a cash+ and she was able to tell me the credit limit (even though it's still blank when I log in). Not sure what that's all about. Thanks for the heads up about the being able to get that info from the number (I figured if it was blank on my login info, then it was unknown still).

rated:
corporateclaw said:   Cheapo said:   corporateclaw said:   corporateclaw said:   BingBlangBlaow said:   EdMcK515 said:   Most important thing is I can get 5% straight CashBack by buying Amazon gift cards at Lowes. Beats 5points/$1 with the forward.

W

Thanks for the phone.

They can be very slow. I did not get an instant approval. After several weeks I called the above number and learned the computers were down. By holding for a representative, I learned I was approved with a $15,000 line and the card was in the mail.

rated:
Got my card and details.

The gift card bonus for redeeming in $100 lots is a card that has a $20 minimum and $5 increments. This would make it a little harder to use. I have not yet gotten one of their cards, but I presume it could be used by finding a store that will do split payments, and then charging $25. If it can be used on line, it may be possible to buy a gift card to a regularly used store, and then spend this card as needed.

However,it appears it will still be optimal to do redemption in $100 blocks, making the card sometimes a 6.25% card on selected categories.I suspect I can reach $100 in a reasonable time just with bill pays and a few other charges.

I chose not to pick my categories now since it appears optimal for me to wait until I have a large expenditure for a particular category, such as a trip planned or a large electronics or furniture purchase. I expect one will usually be bill payment since it is hard to get 5% back on my Verizon bill and my car insurance. For 5%, it will probably be worthwhile paying a fee to use a credit for electric, water, and gas bills, possibly paying a few months in advance when the fee is a fixed fee. I am not signing up immediately because I used this technique to prepay several bills when there was a utilities category on my CITI Dividend (5% in points) and none are due in the near future.

To my surprise they did not ask me to pick categories on activation, so no time is lost by not choosing them.

If CITI again make utilities a quarterly category, there may be an issue as to whether to use it, or this card, but that can be resolved when and if it happens.

The brochure does warn you it will take up to three days for your selection to become effective so a little pre-planning may be needed, including pricing out plane tickets or hotels using their site (to see if it is competitive) since that must be used to earn 5% in rewards.

You can sign up for E-mail reminders to tell you to choose your categories when it become possible. This may be useful for someone, who knows which 5% categories will be used in advance, or plans to use the card for everyday expenses like groceries or gasoline, and is willing to sacrifice the option of choosing categories only when a big expense is anticipated. I did not experiment, but it appears that you must pick all of the categories at one time rather than picking a 2% one now, or one of you 5% ones now, and the rest later. I was afraid if I tried this, I might end up with either no 5% categories, or only one.

rated:
ProfessorEd said:   
The brochure does warn you it will take up to three days for your selection to become effective so a little pre-planning may be needed, including pricing out plane tickets or hotels using their site (to see if it is competitive) since that must be used to earn 5% in rewards.

It is not exactly that way:

"Get Cash Back when you book your airline tickets directly with the airline (through its website, over the phone or in person); reservations made via online travel websites or travel agencies are not eligible."

So it's not a US Bank travel portal, but not Orbitz or Priceline, it must be direct through the Airline / Hotel.

rated:
For online access one must go through the general bank site. This led to information on how to use your US Bank account n logging on, which had to be clicked through.

Once that was set up, I saw an offer by clicking on special offers (see below). Details were unclear. (However, see what was later learned through chatting).

From other threads it appears they normally limited their opening bonuses to those in their service area (which I appear not to be). However, there may be an exception if you have a credit card already.

You might even be able to argue that if they posted such an offer, they should be willing to let you open an account since it would have been easy to add qualifying language, or to program their computer to only make the offer if you were in certain locations (either zip codes or states).

It would be nice to have a US Bank account to deposit the Cash Back into, and they do make a point of the convenience of one site and one log in for your finances.

"Sign Up and Save Up to $500
Want to save up to $500?1 Just apply for a U.S. Bank Silver, Gold or Platinum Package and you could! Our packages include a Package Checking account, and a Package Money Market Savings account and/or a U.S. Bank-issued Credit Card. Get the convenience of combining accounts, while saving time and money."

However, in chatting (update) I learned more and there appears nothing special here:

"Darla: Thank you so much for your patience! I understand now! You are looking at the information at the Package Money Market Savings account, that information is based on a general guideline on how much you could potentially save per year. This savings is based on a number of factors when opening a Platinum Checking package. Let me send you some more information...

Darla: Actual individual savings and benefits may vary depending on the products used and balances maintained. Products and services for each U.S. Bank Package have been combined to offer consumers preferred rates and services at a lower combined price than if each product or service were opened separately. For example, a customer in a U.S. Bank Platinum Package with an average outstanding balance of $50,000 on a home equity line of credit will realize $500 in annual savings."

"You: So there is no actual cash bonus for opening a bankng account?

Darla: There are promotions for cash rewards for opening accounts but those promotions are usually mailed to prospective customers. Also, promotions are regional, depending on where you live."

"May I ask what state you live in?

You: I am in Maryland.

Darla: I see! Regrettably, account opening promotions are only sent to areas that have branch locations. There are no U. S. Bank locations in Maryland. I'm truly sorry for the inconvenience that causes. "

rated:
jazzboyrules said:   Has any North Carolina resident got this deal working for them?
Me me me. I just got my card in the mail, $13,000 credit limit. All I did was apply about a week and a half ago through the Facebook link - no call to underwriting necessary. I wasn't instantly approved, though. And I'm pretty sure N.C. doesn't have any U.S. Bank branches.

rated:
ProfessorEd said:   Darla: I see! Regrettably, account opening promotions are only sent to areas that have branch locations. There are no U. S. Bank locations in Maryland. I'm truly sorry for the inconvenience that causes. "

Based on the branch location search on the bank's website, the closest branch is the one in Gallipolis, OH near the WV border. US Bank branches are located in the Western, Rockies, and Midwest states. They don't have any branches in states bordering the Atlantic ocean.

rated:
was going to use the bill pay and got redirected to Billeo. then Billeo tells me i need to download their browser app, and also i need a separate login. Billeo also hypes other so-called features when all i expected is simply to put in my bill info. this seems kind of convoluted, or did i miss something?

i thought it would be along the lines of the US Bank billpay that i've used for my US Bank checking account, which is part of the US Bank website. wouldn't it have been simple to merely add the option of choosing to pay from my checking or credit card?

rated:
frugalpete said:   was going to use the bill pay and got redirected to Billeo. then Billeo tells me i need to download their browser app, and also i need a separate login. Billeo also hypes other so-called features when all i expected is simply to put in my bill info. this seems kind of convoluted, or did i miss something?

i thought it would be along the lines of the US Bank billpay that i've used for my US Bank checking account, which is part of the US Bank website. wouldn't it have been simple to merely add the option of choosing to pay from my checking or credit card?

Is a hidden requirement for the 5% back to do it this way?

I assumed you just went to the relevant firms web sites (say Verizon or your insurance company) and requested them to charge your credit card.

rated:
ProfessorEd said:   frugalpete said:   was going to use the bill pay and got redirected to Billeo. then Billeo tells me i need to download their browser app, and also i need a separate login. Billeo also hypes other so-called features when all i expected is simply to put in my bill info. this seems kind of convoluted, or did i miss something?

I assumed you just went to the relevant firms web sites (say Verizon or your insurance company) and requested them to charge your credit card.

i see that earlier poster said he paid his Verizon bill from the Verizon website and got the 5% so you are correct. i just thought it might be easier to set them all up at once.

rated:
frugalpete said:   ProfessorEd said:   frugalpete said:   was going to use the bill pay and got redirected to Billeo. then Billeo tells me i need to download their browser app, and also i need a separate login. Billeo also hypes other so-called features when all i expected is simply to put in my bill info. this seems kind of convoluted, or did i miss something?

i see that earlier poster said he paid his Verizon bill from the Verizon website and got the 5% so you are correct. i just thought it might be easier to set them all up at once.

Was it?

Did this way make it easier to change them in case in a future quarter you did not wish to make billpay one of your categories (for instance you had a major vacation planned that led you to choose hotels and plane tickets, or the CITI Dividend included a utilities category again). A way to easily change these from one site might be useful.

rated:
A couple screen shots that might be helpful:

rated:
Thanks for the screenshots. The 5% for charity is pretty interesting if you were planning on making any big donations anyway.

rated:
I just applied for the card, planning on putting my upcoming Car Insurance payment (I pay in full for a whole year)...it's through Travelers...do I just put my CC info on the Travelers site or do I have to go through US Bank's "Billeo" or whatever? Or does it have to be an "automatic payment"? I know this has been asked and addressed a few times in this thread but I'm seeing different things. Any help would be appreciated.

rated:
nm

rated:
I received the terms of my card yesterday, but not the card. Weird.

rated:
ProfessorEd said:   frugalpete said:   ProfessorEd said:   frugalpete said:   was going to use the bill pay and got redirected to Billeo. then Billeo tells me i need to download their browser app, and also i need a separate login. Billeo also hypes other so-called features when all i expected is simply to put in my bill info. this seems kind of convoluted, or did i miss something?

Was it?

Did this way make it easier to change them in case in a future quarter you did not wish to make billpay one of your categories (for instance you had a major vacation planned that led you to choose hotels and plane tickets, or the Chase dividend included a utilities category again). A way to easily change these from one site might be useful.

that was my thinking but i didn't want to go through the ringamarole of using that Billeo site so i didnt do it.

rated:
lambo881 said:   Table83 said:   
Has anyone ever dealt with a category card like this before? I am not getting the category thing. Here is Visa's MCC lookup, but how do I know which category is covered when I choose fast food vs restaurants? May I ask someone who has had one of these types of cards to describe how it works?

The way the card works is fairly simple. When you make a purchase at a store, the transaction is assigned a MCC code based on the type of store/business you're at. This MCC code rolls up into a category such as restaurant, quick service restaurant (fast food), discount store, grocery, etc. The card issuer applies your reward based on the MCC code attached to each transaction. The key is that the bank does not control the MCC assignment, so they can only go by the code attached to each purchase.

Wow you found the MCC lookup, but even with that, it can be confusing. Fast food and restaurants should be easy to distinguish. If you put McDonalds into your MCC lookup, you'll see the MCC number (5814) and a description. If you pick a sit down restaurant like Applebees, you'll get the same description, but the MCC (5812) is different. You can infer that 5814 is Fast Food and 5812 is Restaurants. The harder ones are stores with multiple MCCs. If you look up a Target or WalMart, you'll see a number of MCCs, some are easy such as electronics, which I assume it's tagged with if you make the purchase in the electronics department. However, it's never been clear to me on when a transaction gets labeled groceries or discount store. I earn double points on groceries but not all of my Target transactions earn me double points. Not sure if it's based on what I buy or which register I use in the store or something else.

This is my fear with this and other category cards. The difference between "restaurant" and "fast food" is really dynamic, and not always clear or as expected. For example, i just searched a number of places i regularly go to lunch and and get both 5812 and 5814 coding, while all are what i would consider "fast food" (from my limited sample, all the fast food places were large corporations/chains while the restaurants were all mom and pops). In order to make this work for a 5% dining card, you need to select both categories which isn't ideal if you want other categories like bill pay.

Has anyone seen a site or place where you can look up how merchants are treated by each credit card rewards program? Sort of like the who called me crowd-sourced database. I see peoples personal experiences in individual threads, but have not found a centralized repository.

rated:
Called both the elan and US bank numbers and asked about it. They could not convert my associated bank cc to US Bank Cash+.

tomprc said:   Any luck to convert elan financial serviced cards?

rated:
I'm in Georgia and also got the Under Review message; hit my Equifax credit report, with around a 760 score. I'm interested to see if it will classify my church as Charity; if so, I'll do my year's worth of giving in 1 quarter, and choose bill pay for the other 3.

rated:
Any New Englanders actually get approved for the card?

rated:
arctann said:   Any New Englanders actually get approved for the card?I did in NH (but not instantly). I have a Corporate Card with US Bank so I am not sure if that makes a difference.

rated:
Yesterday I received a letter regarding my Cash+ Visa Signature application that stated "We regret to inform you that we are unable to consider our application at this time because another recent application is being processed." Which is odd because I keep pretty scrupulous records on my credit card apps. Today I received two additional letters from US Bank, one with my credit score, and the other with the cardmember agreement. Based on what others have posted, I'm guessing this means I'll soon receive a card. This might be an anomaly with my app, but if anyone else receives the application being processed rejection, my advice would be to just be patient.

rated:
I thought it might be nice to have my wife able to use the card. They have a form you to fill out, and apparently mail in. More complex than credit cards I have seen.

rated:
candywater said:   Got the card yesterday together with a letter telling me that the card has been closed unless I send a "numident report", which need me to go to social security beau to request a report shows that the ssn used belongs to me. Anyone in the same boat? It's too much trouble for just a credit card. Decide just let them close it.

I'd be more worried that someone's stolen your identity if they want you to take unusual steps to confirm this.

rated:
Does anyone know if drugstore.com counts as a Drugstore (2% category)?

rated:
Does anyone know if drugstore.com counts as a Drugstore (2% category)?

I haven't signed up for this US Bank Cash+ card yet, but drugstore.com is usually listed on most other web shopping portal rewards cards (have to shop from the credit card web site link).
SallieMae Earn More, Discover More ShopDiscover, Chase Freedom Ulitmate Rewards = 10%
Citi Dividend: 5%

Does the US Bank Cash+ have a web shopping portal also?

justacog

rated:

Capture (13.40kB)
Disclaimer
I put the following in the quick summary:

Word of Caution: If you have a US Bank CC and convert to this card your online statement history disappears. If you keep pdf statements download them before converting. Also a teller at a branch should provide you with a hard copy if you find this necessary.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.
  • 14 5 67835
  • Page

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014