• filter:
  • 12 3 4533
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
It might be useful to mention location (in state with branches), since there are reports above that on line applications (which appear to get a small cash bonus through Facebook) are getting automatically rejected if not in their market area.

rated:
I could really do some damage with this card if I could choose Restaurants and Airlines as my two 5% categories (no cap!), but I'm curious if anyone can see what the July - September categories look like. If they keep reasonable choices this might be the only card I use for a few months!

rated:
From a call I learned they say they are open for all states (which is what you would expect for a credit card) and a chat representative said the same.

I decided to apply on line to get the Facebook bonus, figuring I could talk to underwriting if it was thrown out.

In the application I noticed they had the usual offer type for balance transfers, but also a clause that you could cancel requests with 10 days. This led me to speculate that by requesting one I might get a higher limit (and then could cancel) it (since it would have a 3% fee).

Many banks are looking for customers who will carry a large balance.
They might figure I had built up this balance over time, and would not plan on quickly paying it off (which I actually would), and would hence prove a profitable customer. I thus possibly would get a higher credit limit.

Paying the fee, it is about 6% money. Not bad, but nothing special.

"Sunshine: It sure does! You can receive a 0% introductory APR for up to the first 6 billing cycles for balances transferred within 90 days from account opening. You can request a balance transfer once you've received your new card in the mail. "It would be either 3% of the amount of each transfer or $5 minimum, whichever is greater, for balances transferred within 90 days from the end of the month in which your account is opened. After that, either 4% of the amount of each transfer or $5 minimum, whichever is greater."

rated:
The Chat representative stated "we will automatically enroll you in the current quarterly promotion."

This implies they view the current offer as a promotion, and may choose in future quarters to have less attractive offers. (This is especially likely if they find they are paying out a much higher reward percentage than expected, or that certain categories are being used more than expected and for larger amounts).

Also, note below:

"You: Do you know what the promotion will be for the next quarter?

Sunshine: I do not. Categories are subject to change quarterly, but the categories may stay the same for several quarters. It's impossible to say."

Thus, consider the possibility of the 5% categories being say: Pet Supplies, sporting goods, and ferries for a later quarter.

rated:
I learned from below that you can pick categories within the quarter. This could be useful for some. You don't pick categories until plans emerge for large spending in 5% categories not covered by other cards you have.

For instance, if you decide on a family vacation you might pick airfare and hotels. For a kitchen renovation, home improvements. If you see a great sale on computers or want a new outfit you pick the right categories. If you hear of a large disaster, and want to help, you pick charities.

Obviously, this tactic would only be used by someone who had other good cards for most spending (My family has a 2% card for most items and a AMEX Preferred Blue for others and also CITI Dividend, Chase Freedom, Discover cards and specialty airline and hotel cards, plus a stack of gift cards).

"You: Do you have to choose before the start of the quarter, or can you do it within the quarter?

Sunshine: Enrollment for the quarterly bonus categories opens approximately 45 days before the start of the promotion. You may sign up from that time through the end of the promotion."

I also learned of a potential trap. They may randomly assign you to categories you not plan to use. Thus, on getting the card you should pick your categories carefully before using it.

"You: So what categories would I get in the first quarter?

Sunshine: It would be selected at random with your new card. You can change those once you receive your card for the rest of the quarter."

"You: Yes. How long from getting the card will it take to change your categories if they are not the ones I owuld have selected.?

Sunshine: Once you receive your card you can change the categories. You will begin earning your additional cash rewards approximately 2 – 3 business days after you sign up."

"You: If you pick within 45 daqys, can you change your mind if you call before the start of the quarter?

Sunshine: Absolutely! As long as the quarter hasn't started yet you'll be able to make changes."

rated:
iLoveiPods said:   Odd, CSR wouldn't convert LinuxFund to Cash+ but could convert to Cash rewards. I guess I could just call back and get them to go from Cash rewards to cash+?

I guess CSR just convert your card to LinuxFund Cash Rewards Visa® Platinum Card.
https://applications.usbank.com/oad/begin?locationCode=9592&sour...
I didn't see a card called Cash Rewards in USBank's website.

rated:
do you need to have a usbank account to redeem the CashBack rewards

rated:
titan01 said:   do you need to have a usbank account to redeem the CashBack rewards

It's most likely applied as a credit.

rated:
titan01 said:   do you need to have a usbank account to redeem the CashBack rewards

You choose to redeem your Cash Back as a deposit into your U.S. Bank deposit account, a U.S. Bank Rewards Card, or a statement credit.

rated:
^^^

rated:
I was able to convert linux card to cash + as well...

update: I was told I was converted to cash+ but I was actually not. Just a standard 1% reward card.

rated:
cpaynter said:   lowspeed said:   Where would Amazon and Newegg fall in the categories?

Amazon classifies as "Bookstore" in every case I've seen. Newegg would be electronics.

Chris.

It varies, some purchases will code differently. Back when I used my AMEX for Amazon there were other codes, like Depeartment store or Office supplies that sometimes were used. Bookstore is the most common, though. (I buy a lot of other stuff besides books and music from them)

I have started using my AMEX 6% grocery card to buy Amazon gift cards instead so couldn't tell you if that has changed in the last 6 months or so.

rated:
dl73. The CSR told me they can't change cards from groups like the ADA to another program and that I'd need to apply for a new one. I'd also like to know if this is possible.

rated:
Applied, and got the 7-10 days notice. USBank has ATMS but no branches I know of in Texas.

rated:
This card makes a almost perfect travel card with these two categories:
  • Airlines
  • Hotels

"Almost" is due to the fact that you're limited to airline/hotel sites and only two 5% (6.25%) categories.

Having the second card in the family allows you to add Car Rental and Restaurants, which pretty much rounds up the travel...

Cross-linking $100 USBank savings bonus:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1194951/
, couldn't find checking opening bonus

rated:
I applied on Wednesday the 6th, and today when I logged into my account they listed this card, so I was approved. Not sure what they had to verify but apparently it was not a problem. No credit limit/line listed on the card information online so will have to wait and see what it shows in the documentation with the physical card.

They did provide the link to select the bonus categories but I will wait to do that until I receive my actual card, since it apparently requires a login into a separate site and I probably don't have all the information I need.

Ruth

rated:
Has any North Carolina resident got this deal working for them?

rated:
neophyte said:   This card makes a almost perfect travel card with these two categories:
  • Airlines
  • Hotels

"Almost" is due to the fact that you're limited to airline/hotel sites and only two 5% (6.25%) categories.

Having the second card in the family allows you to add Car Rental and Restaurants, which pretty much rounds up the travel...

Cross-linking $100 USBank savings bonus:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1194951/
, couldn't find checking opening bonus

Penfed travel AMEX for a 6.25% max on airfare.
And hotel chain cards for individual hotels (ie Marriott card for Mariott stays 5% equivalent, etc)

That will open up this card for 5% in other categories not covered by other cards.

rated:
babaamit said:   I was able to convert linux card to cash + as well...

so you were able to do it? I was told you can't...

rated:
Anyone know how www.chargesmart.com/ bill pay would be classified? Could I through all my bill there and get 5% back??

rated:
Any luck to convert elan financial serviced cards?

rated:
sergey007 said:   I got the same message and when I called next day (closer to the end of the day), the automated system told me "congratulations, you've been approved"

Same thing here (after I called back this morning to the automated line).

As a point of reference, I am in Texas.

-mike

rated:
Unable to convert defunct 5% Associated Bank card or ADA card which are both serviced by Elan these days.
Applied, deferred.

I've had problems with US Bank being sensitive to too many inquiries.

rated:
can you change the 5% rewards ? or is it locked in?

rated:
Just registered my card for bonuses for this and next quarter. Same set of rewards catergories for both.

rated:
provicemo said:   Just registered my card for bonuses for this and next quarter. Same set of rewards catergories for both.
Question - did you need to have any information from your physical card to register for the categories? I saw a link at the top of the page to log in, and assumed I would need the card in hand to provide required information.

Ruth

rated:
starshiphome said:   provicemo said:   Just registered my card for bonuses for this and next quarter. Same set of rewards catergories for both.
Question - did you need to have any information from your physical card to register for the categories? I saw a link at the top of the page to log in, and assumed I would need the card in hand to provide required information.

Ruth
You just need the last 4 #s of the card, which is available from your account page of the US Bank site (assuming you have other CCs with them).

rated:
I also could NOT convert LinuxFund Cash Rewards into Cash+. CSR suggested trying again during the next billing cycle.

rated:
Table83 said:   
Has anyone ever dealt with a category card like this before? I am not getting the category thing. Here is Visa's MCC lookup, but how do I know which category is covered when I choose fast food vs restaurants? May I ask someone who has had one of these types of cards to describe how it works?

The way the card works is fairly simple. When you make a purchase at a store, the transaction is assigned a MCC code based on the type of store/business you're at. This MCC code rolls up into a category such as restaurant, quick service restaurant (fast food), discount store, grocery, etc. The card issuer applies your reward based on the MCC code attached to each transaction. The key is that the bank does not control the MCC assignment, so they can only go by the code attached to each purchase.

Wow you found the MCC lookup, but even with that, it can be confusing. Fast food and restaurants should be easy to distinguish. If you put McDonalds into your MCC lookup, you'll see the MCC number (5814) and a description. If you pick a sit down restaurant like Applebees, you'll get the same description, but the MCC (5812) is different. You can infer that 5814 is Fast Food and 5812 is Restaurants. The harder ones are stores with multiple MCCs. If you look up a Target or WalMart, you'll see a number of MCCs, some are easy such as electronics, which I assume it's tagged with if you make the purchase in the electronics department. However, it's never been clear to me on when a transaction gets labeled groceries or discount store. I earn double points on groceries but not all of my Target transactions earn me double points. Not sure if it's based on what I buy or which register I use in the store or something else.

rated:
Zaos said:   neophyte said:   Table83 said:   neophyte said:   Table83 said:   Platinum accounts are free for anyone who has ever served in the military or has something like $25k in debt/deposits with them (Mortgage, HELOCs, CD's count)
http://www.usbank.com/package/platinum.html
Your CC balance counts for the $25K total: Maintain $25,000 in combined personal deposit, investment and/or credit balances

That doesn't sound right to me. I think you're talking about the Gold one (which only gives a 25% bonus and not the 50%) and you need to have an auto-payment.
Right on the Platinum page - fees and disclosures tab, go and read yourself

BTW - Citi also counts debit balances for package qualifications, nothing unique about it

It also states: 50% monthly bonus on all rewards earned for net purchases with your U.S. Bank FlexPerks® Credit Card6.

So I wouldn't hold my breath on the 50% bonus for this card.

Just checked, this card does offer a checking package bonus. It's 25% for gold, 50% for platinum, but it's only on base earnings, not on the extra 1%/4% you would get on 2%/5% categories. So with platinum, it's 1.5%/2.5%/5.5%.

rated:
lambo881 said:   
Just checked, this card does offer a checking package bonus. It's 25% for gold, 50% for platinum, but it's only on base earnings, not on the extra 1%/4% you would get on 2%/5% categories. So with platinum, it's 1.5%/2.5%/5.5%.

Wow, that combined with "Get a $25 Cash+ Bonus each time you redeem $100 or more Cash Back in a single redemption." would make it even better. Too bad my mortgage isn't with US Bank anymore to qualify for the Platinum account easily.

rated:
imbatman said:   interesting:

Say you group this card with AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (6% grocery), Citi Forward (5x TY Points on all dining, which covers restaurants and fast food, and movie theaters - 3 categories for this card), and PenFed travel AMEX (5% airfare) this could be an effective card if you know you're going to have a big spend in a category.

It means you could have a card that would effectively give you 5% on Department Stores, Home Improvement Stores, Electronics Stores, Hotels, Bill Payment, Furniture stores, Car Rental, Charity.

I may get one for me to get 5% on bill payments (Get Cash Back every month when you set up automatic bill payments for phone, internet, cable/satellite TV, utilities, and insurance.), then rotate the other 5% category when I have a big purchase coming up.

Where does it say that the bill pay needs to be automatic, to qualify for the 5% CashBack?

rated:
Actually I asked the same to US Bank rep, when I had other questions. This is what I was told: the code with recurring bill payment is different from the one with non-recurring payment.

rated:
They give State Farm as the one example of an insurance payment that is eligible for 5% Cash Back. I have my insurance through State Farm, and State Farm doesn't allow you to set up automatic bill payments for insurance. They won't even store your credit card number on their site for future use.

I wonder which is the mistake in their description. Is State Farm not eligible, or don't they care whether the payment is a recurring payment?

rated:
Couldn't convert from FlexPerks card. Was able to convert that card to the no annual fee FlexPerks card however (so at least I don't have to do that annual "spend X dollars to get your annual fee waived" dance anymore).

rated:
bluechalk said:   They give State Farm as the one example of an insurance payment that is eligible for 5% Cash Back. I have my insurance through State Farm, and State Farm doesn't allow you to set up automatic bill payments for insurance. They won't even store your credit card number on their site for future use.

I wonder which is the mistake in their description. Is State Farm not eligible, or don't they care whether the payment is a recurring payment?

I think US Bank is referring to the Billeo service: http://usbank.billeo.com/page/billersearchpage.do?sitename=usban...

rated:
I had mentioned above the possibility of adding a balance transfer request in the hope of a high line, but failed to do it before it timed out.

I called today to see about adding one, but it could not be done. She was willing to note the line you had in mind though. I did learn that for lines over $25,000 they needed two years of financials (tax statements, etc.).

rated:
bluechalk said:   They give State Farm as the one example of an insurance payment that is eligible for 5% Cash Back. I have my insurance through State Farm, and State Farm doesn't allow you to set up automatic bill payments for insurance. They won't even store your credit card number on their site for future use.

I currently have State Farm insurance set up as an auto pay (on another card).

rated:
How did you set up the auto pay for State Farm?

rated:
I walked into my local US Bank branch and asked if the guy could convert my FlexPerks Points card (1% CB) to this new Cash+ Visa. He ended up calling it in and found out for me that they could convert it with just a soft pull (he confirmed the difference between the two and that it would only be a soft pull). Soon after, he called me and said it was accepted and that I was approved for a limit that was a couple times higher than my current limit. I'm still concerned that it was a hard pull, but he seemed to know what he was talking about re: pulls and. I hope he was right because I'd hate to waste a hard pull on this card (especially since I've been holding off on applying for other cards to space out my hard pulls).

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014