• filter:
  • 119 20 21222336
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Based on Vagrant's link, it appears as though my Verizon bill and Time Warner bill will both count towards the cell phone category. Very good news indeed. The only thing I'm missing out on now is my USAA insurance which I paid through 5 months ahead this month.

rated:
So I am thinking about getting this card. I saw it last month and fell in love with the Utilities option. I, of course, was heartbroken like everyone else when I saw that they changed it for the next quarter. Now with the Cell Phone option and that my cable provider MAY fall into this category (visa.com lists it with two MCCs), it might still be worthwhile. I just want some opinions. If I understand correctly, I should be eligible for their Platinum acct for the temporary 50% bonus with no fee because my mortgage is with them. Right now, it is between this card and Chase Freedom/Discover It. Any tips from all of you more experienced people would be great. (I currently only have one credit card that I use for everything that gets 1pt back so I am ready to upgrade.)

rated:
Personally, I have (1) US Bank Cash+, (2) Chase Freedom, (3) AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, and (4) Discover It. It's nice to have a complimentary set of Cash Back categories to maximize rewards.

rated:
Well I am thinking about getting one more. (I'm leaning toward the Bank of America Americard for groceries since I mostly shop at Wal-Mart and Target and they have groceries MCCs codes but I know that AMEX Blue doesn't recognize them that way.) My only concern is that I don't want to carry around a load of cards and more importantly I don't want see my credit score plummet due to all these new inquries. Though in the grand scheme of things, I already have my car and house so won't be requesting credit checks for anything else soon....

rated:
I recommend staggering applications for each card, separating them by a few months. Whether you're just going to get one card or several, identify the card will will net the most rewards (seems like you've already done this), and get that one now. You can always apply for additional cards later.

rated:
Actually I haven't identified the card with the most net rewards yet. I just feel that the BOA will be a good secondary card for groceries/gas. I am trying to identify the first best one.

rated:
cdancer20 said:   Actually I haven't identified the card with the most net rewards yet. I just feel that the BOA will be a good secondary card for groceries/gas. I am trying to identify the first best one.The BofA 3/2/1? It's capped to $1500 of total bonus spend per quarter though. That's combined for gas (3x) and groceries (2x). I know... the AMEX Blue Cash non-preferred is also capped, to $6k of yearly spend for the bonus categories (gas, groceries, department stores). Unfortunate.

rated:
centrifuge41 said:   cdancer20 said:   Actually I haven't identified the card with the most net rewards yet. I just feel that the BOA will be a good secondary card for groceries/gas. I am trying to identify the first best one.The BofA 3/2/1? It's capped to $1500 of total bonus spend per quarter though. That's combined for gas (3x) and groceries (2x). I know... the AMEX Blue Cash non-preferred is also capped, to $6k of yearly spend for the bonus categories (gas, groceries, department stores). Unfortunate. I wouldn't come close to spending $1500 in gas/groceries in any quarter so the cap doesn't bother me. And I bypassed on the AMEX card since I do 90% of my grocery shopping at Wal-Mart/Target.

rated:
cdancer20, you might want to consider the SallieMae Mastercard through Barclay's. It's 5% Gas/Groceries/Books, with some fairly low limits, but if you don't spend a lot, as you said, it might be a good card.

Thread about it here: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1129823/

rated:
RWAnderson72 said:   cdancer20, you might want to consider the SallieMae Mastercard through Barclay's. It's 5% Gas/Groceries/Books, with some fairly low limits, but if you don't spend a lot, as you said, it might be a good card.

Sounds like a good deal for someone like me! but I googled it and it's hard to find.

Looks like I narrowed it down to this: https://www.salliemae.com/landing/WorldCreditCard/. My only downfall to this is that you don't get actual CashBack. It can be applied to your student loan, Upromise acct or statement balance. While the latter is probably the best option for me, there is always this great feeling of "seeing" the CashBack that I would miss lol. Oh wait...this is a Mastercard not Visa. Would the MCCs codes be different? It says "select grocery stores and gas stations".

rated:
Looks like, from the myfico thread, that US Bank's classification of "cell phone" will include my AT&T U-verse bill as well. So that still makes the card slightly more useful than my AMEX Business SimplyCash for paying those telco bills.

rated:
cdancer20 said:   RWAnderson72 said:   cdancer20, you might want to consider the SallieMae Mastercard through Barclay's. It's 5% Gas/Groceries/Books, with some fairly low limits, but if you don't spend a lot, as you said, it might be a good card.

Sounds like a good deal for someone like me! but I googled it and it's hard to find.

Looks like I narrowed it down to this: https://www.salliemae.com/landing/WorldCreditCard/. My only downfall to this is that you don't get actual CashBack. It can be applied to your student loan, Upromise acct or statement balance. While the latter is probably the best option for me, there is always this great feeling of "seeing" the CashBack that I would miss lol. Oh wait...this is a Mastercard not Visa. Would the MCCs codes be different? It says "select grocery stores and gas stations".
That's the one, and yeah, they changed the method of CashBack. I'm given to understand the UPromise payout is excruciatingly slow (after, of course, I did it myself), but you can turn that into CashBack once it's in UPromise (and "funded" rather than "pending"). When I applied for it, it had a $100 CashBack for $500 spend on it, but not anymore, it seems.

I do like the U.S. Bank Cash+ card quite a bit--it covers anything Discover and Chase Freedom don't--but gas and groceries are often gaps.

rated:
markkundinger said:   Looks like, from the myfico thread, that US Bank's classification of "cell phone" will include my AT&T U-verse bill as well. So that still makes the card slightly more useful than my AMEX Business SimplyCash for paying those telco bills.

Do you know if Verizon FIOS would earn the 5% with that card? or how to find out if it would?

rated:
Does it matter how I redeem my $100 rewards(statment credit, transfer, or visa card) to get the extra $25?

rated:
according to this link:
myfico thingy
the new cell phone category is going to be MCC's 4812, 4814 or 4899.

So if you can download the CSV of your own activity, you can check it out yourself.

rated:
dmikester10 said:   Does it matter how I redeem my $100 rewards(statment credit, transfer, or visa card) to get the extra $25?
I did a statement credit and it said I can expect my $25 in the mail.

rated:
ragedogg69 said:   dmikester10 said:   Does it matter how I redeem my $100 rewards(statment credit, transfer, or visa card) to get the extra $25?
I did redemption to deposit account & got the same message about $25 card.

rated:
KYBOSH said:   Not a bad idea.
I went and took a look at the examples of the categories and they vasly improved them since last time i looked. Last time they gad 3 or 4 examples aBut now they have plenty.

Below is a partial list of popular merchants in this category.¹ While this list can be a helpful guide, U.S. Bank does not control how individual merchants or purchases are categorized.²

Abt Electronics East Coast TVs PaulsTV.com® Vann's®
AbtElectronics.com Electronic Express® RadioShack.com® Video Only
Alltimetvs Fry's Electronics RadioShack® Zeglin's
Apple Store Frys.com Ray's TV & Appliance
Appliance & TV Center h.h. gregg® Roku.com®
beachcamera.com hhgregg.com Sonicelectronix
Best Buy® Huppin's Sony Direct
Bestbuy.com® Huppins.com Sony Store
Bose.com® Hutchins TV and Appliance Suess Electronics
Bose® Magnolia Sweetwater.com®
CowBoom.com  mcm electronics Sweetwater®
Crutchfield® Newegg.com® TigerDirect®
CyberPowerPC Paul's TV® Vanns.com®

Even better. I don't know what the limit of the VISA GC @ BB though...hopefully, something like $500 for $5.95...if not maybe similar to office stores...$200 for $6.95.

jatan1986 said:   youngcoolguy said:   Where in Best Buy stores can I find Visa GCs or Kindle GCs? I've scoured a few stores in the DC area, including checking near the e-readers and checkout lanes, and have not found them.Visa GCs are usually in the front near the different BB GCs (haven't checked recently, but saw them few months back)

Kindle GCs can be near/under the Kindle display units or check in the tablet case/cover aisle

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/finance/1001041/m17582517/#m1758...

rated:
I went to my local BB and didn't see anything but Itunes and Xbox GCs and crap like that on the GC rack.
Maybe I need to check the front registers....

rated:
ucfzf10 said:   ragedogg69 said:   dmikester10 said:   Does it matter how I redeem my $100 rewards(statment credit, transfer, or visa card) to get the extra $25?
I did redemption to deposit account & got the same message about $25 card.

Thanks for the advice. Did statement credit, now I gotta wait 6-8 weeks for the $25. I just hope I can rack up another $100 before they cancel that special on me.

rated:
Bumper Cars. I'm itching to get this card, my only problem: Every fuckin' card I've EVER gotten has given me a bonus offer for spending $X in the first 3 months. I have yet to see any for this card, or am I wrong?

rated:
justignoredem said:   Bumper Cars. I'm itching to get this card, my only problem: Every f*in' card I've EVER gotten has given me a bonus offer for spending $X in the first 3 months. I have yet to see any for this card, or am I wrong?

Not wrong, sometimes it is not the size of the bonus but how you use the card. The CashBack some people have generated in the first 3 months of having this card would put any bonus to shame.

rated:
dl73 said:   justignoredem said:   Bumper Cars. I'm itching to get this card, my only problem: Every f*in' card I've EVER gotten has given me a bonus offer for spending $X in the first 3 months. I have yet to see any for this card, or am I wrong?

Not wrong, sometimes it is not the size of the bonus but how you use the card. The CashBack some people have generated in the first 3 months of having this card would put any bonus to shame.

But, that category is removed...no?

rated:
I spoke with Chase. Confirmed the info Kwongaroo provided.

rated:
vagrants said:   dl73 said:   justignoredem said:   Bumper Cars. I'm itching to get this card, my only problem: Every f*in' card I've EVER gotten has given me a bonus offer for spending $X in the first 3 months. I have yet to see any for this card, or am I wrong?

The Bill Pay category is gone, but the point is, if you had applied for the card back in, say, December, you could have been plundering the card for that category for all of Q1 instead of waiting for a signup bonus. At this point, you'll have to decide if you can sufficiently plunder the card on the current categories. If so, I think you're wasting opportunity waiting for a signup bonus that may or may not happen. JMHO.

Chris.

rated:
FW10001 said:   I spoke with Chase. Confirmed the info Kwongaroo provided.

Curious what information Chase would have relevant to a USBank card?

Chris.

rated:
cpaynter said:   vagrants said:   dl73 said:   justignoredem said:   Bumper Cars. I'm itching to get this card, my only problem: Every f*in' card I've EVER gotten has given me a bonus offer for spending $X in the first 3 months. I have yet to see any for this card, or am I wrong?

The Bill Pay category is gone, but the point is, if you had applied for the card back in, say, December, you could have been plundering the card for that category for all of Q1 instead of waiting for a signup bonus. At this point, you'll have to decide if you can sufficiently plunder the card on the current categories. If so, I think you're wasting opportunity waiting for a signup bonus that may or may not happen. JMHO.

Chris.

Now that there is only a week or two left, what kind of plundering can you do besides paying electric, gas, phone, cable and insurance bills, or pre-paying them? Any hints?

rated:
lonestarguy said:   cpaynter said:   vagrants said:   dl73 said:   justignoredem said:   Bumper Cars. I'm itching to get this card, my only problem: Every f*in' card I've EVER gotten has given me a bonus offer for spending $X in the first 3 months. I have yet to see any for this card, or am I wrong?

Chris.

Now that there is only a week or two left, what kind of plundering can you do besides paying electric, gas, phone, cable and insurance bills, or pre-paying them? Any hints?

if you have the means prepaying those categories is essentially like making 6-6.75% on your own money for whatever you end up paying. Thats a solid return at 10K, 20K, etc of charges.

rated:
ts140 said:   if you have the means prepaying those categories is essentially like making 6-6.75% on your own money for whatever you end up paying.
That's assuming you don't have any other CashBack cards you could use. If you have a 2% "all categories" card like Priceline or Fidelity, that becomes 4-4.75% (and that's assuming they don't suddenly invoke the one $25 bonus per year limit with no warning). It's still not bad, but doesn't really seem worth it to me. I'll just move all my utilities over to Priceline, though it makes me sad. None of the replacement categories are compelling for me... I already have those categories covered by other cards.

rated:
Billpay was great. Now this card is mediocre at best. Bait and switch. Boo.

rated:
Im not using as of the 1st. Will transfer $ from Platinum checking to EverBank checking 1.25% but it's not tied up. Will concentrate on bonus CC

rated:
cdancer20 said:   So I am thinking about getting this card. I saw it last month and fell in love with the Utilities option. I, of course, was heartbroken like everyone else when I saw that they changed it for the next quarter. Now with the Cell Phone option and that my cable provider MAY fall into this category (visa.com lists it with two MCCs), it might still be worthwhile. I just want some opinions. If I understand correctly, I should be eligible for their Platinum acct for the temporary 50% bonus with no fee because my mortgage is with them. Right now, it is between this card and Chase Freedom/Discover It. Any tips from all of you more experienced people would be great. (I currently only have one credit card that I use for everything that gets 1pt back so I am ready to upgrade.) I went ahead and applied for this card. Even though the utilities are going away , I still would be able to cover my phone and cable bill which combined is the most that I spend each month in one category. Also, I did qualify for the Platinum acct with no fee and no minimum deposit due to my mortgage so until August, this will be a great card for me, even for things that fall into the 1% category. And who knows, in a few months, it may change again and they may bring the utilities back one day.

No bank in my area to apply at so I called the number that was listed in this thread to apply, 8884434778. Just for anyone that is still interested in this card, the agent told me that this card is kind of hard to get, i.e. you need good-excellent credit to get it. Just a heads-up.

rated:
Does anyone know how long it takes US Bank to post transactions. I am off to Lowes to buy some GCs before end of 1Q.

rated:
Well, i just picked my categories and sock-drawered this card. I will use it for hotels and that is probably about it.

rated:
I haven't picked anything yet.

Trying to figure out which categories would have the highest chance of churnability.

Home Improvements top the list even though no one has offered a way to do it yet.
Electronics stores would probably be next up on the list.

rated:
tajar96 said:   Does anyone know how long it takes US Bank to post transactions. I am off to Lowes to buy some GCs before end of 1Q.
my friday transactions have yet to post. I made an online bill payment once the day before the end of a quarter and it did not post in time to qualify for the bill payment category I had.

rated:
nwill002 said:   tajar96 said:   Does anyone know how long it takes US Bank to post transactions. I am off to Lowes to buy some GCs before end of 1Q.
my friday transactions have yet to post. I made an online bill payment once the day before the end of a quarter and it did not post in time to qualify for the bill payment category I had.

Some of my Thu transactions have posted but not Fri or Sat. If I login on my phone, then I see the charges as pending auth, but not when I login online. I just did another Drugstore purchase today, hopefully that will post with 3/31 date too.

rated:
Is target B&M in the 5% category?

rated:
fwvisitor said:   Is target B&M in the 5% category?

Have you even looked at the categories?

https://cashplus.usbank.com/index.cfm/main/categories/demo/true

2%:
Gas Stations
Grocery Stores
Drug Stores

5%:
Sporting Good Stores
Cell Phone
Bookstores
Department Stores
Restaurants
Electronics Stores
Hotels
Fast Food
Furniture Stores
Car Rental
Charity
Movie Theaters

rated:
fwvisitor said:   Is target B&M in the 5% category?If you want 5% at Target (either Target.com or B&M), get their REDCard.

Otherwise, no, it's not.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014